Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

frajaq

Erudite
yikes doing a kickstarter again

the absolute state of CRPGs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
yikes doing a kickstarter again

the absolute state of CRPGs

I don't think that's a bad thing. They can finance the game on their own, but doing a Kickstarter not only allows for the game to be more polished/have more content, but it's also free advertisement that they get paid for lol. We get the game at a discount all the while getting a more polished/bigger game. It's a win-win situation. There's also the fact that such games are maybe only possible through Kickstarter, we wouldn't have gotten this slew of RPGs if it wasn't for Kickstarter. It's frankly an ingenious way to circumvent market forces, maybe not circumvent, more avoid the obvious pitfalls like mainstream trends and having the possibility to make something for a niche audience in the first place. If you didn't have money beforehand, you just wouldn't be able to make the game, unless you are a single Serbian coding in your free time in the basement.

Dodo1610

Arcane
After Deadfire's failure proved that RTWP CRPGs are a niche only very few people actually are interested in, not doing a crowdfunding campaign would be probably too risky. I doubt we will ever see a traditionally financed hardcore CRPG like this ever again.

Screeshots
DrezenAssaultBabauNabasu_3840x2160.jpg

More:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/kickstarter
Drezen-Assault-Ram.jpg

Lost-Chapel-Small-Basement.jpg

Gibbering-Swarm-Canyon-Enter.jpg

Gibbering-Swarm-Cave-Camp.jpg

Lost-Chapel-Small-Cave.jpg

Old-Ruins-Forest.jpg

Seelah-Warcamp-Camp.jpg

Warcamp-Fire.jpg

:hype:
clear.png

Seriously the game looks a lot better than Kingmaker already!

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
After Deadfire's failure proved that RTWP CRPGs are a niche only very few people actually are interested in
Obsidian have nothing but themselves to blame for that. If PoE1 *and* 2 had better content, 2 wouldn't have failed so hard, but we've been over this. My point is that I wouldn't proclaim the doom of RTwP just yet.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kingmaker has over ten thousand reviews. I wouldn't proclaim anything just yet. The first one did amazingly well. The real question is if the sequel will perform as well. It goes without saying that the real troubles of Kingmaker was the bugs. The game did not have a very smooth launch, and it took them months of dedication until they fixed it. The developers even acknowledged this, that the buggy launch did have an impact on sales and reviews. Of course, I am just as clueless as the rest of you. However if the developers manage to deliver a smooth bug free launch, then the sequel will already have an easier time at sales.
Q5G8141.png

Most excellent news. It looks they've enhanced the textures and graphics. I may need to upgrade my system somewhat. Right now my 4 year old rig has been starting to show its age.

Turuko

Learned
So late 2021?
Screenshots looks good, doctored probably but the areas seems bigger
Here's hoping for less bug at launch

Dodo1610

Arcane
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/kickstarter

Wrath of the Righteous is once again based on an existing Adventure Path for the tabletop game, but unlike Kingmaker, this one was not focused on the expansive kingdom-building meta layer. Instead, that system will return here in a slightly different form as you form armies to do battle against demonic forces.

You’ll recruit armies, upgrade your forces, and push back against the horde of demons pouring out of the appropriately-named Worldwound. You can send your armies out to capture strategic locations, or to acquire artifacts that you can then craft into of equipment. Creative director Alexander Mishulin says “we listened to the feedback on the kingdom building and acted upon it to make the most captivating crusade experience possible.”
deusvult.png

You can see a whole lot of the places you’ll visit in the screenshots below. (If the latter chapters of the original Adventure Path are any indication, you can expect things to get a whole lot wilder, too.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
If the first Kickstarter is anything to go by, that ended July 2017 and the game released (in a beta phase at best) the end of September 2018. So just a little over a year. I'd say Q2 2021 as a possible release date, maybe July? It's kind of a weird date to release a game. Maybe September like Kingmaker?

jerfdr

Educated
My bet is early 2021. After all, they don't have to build the engine and implement the ruleset from the ground up this time.
i can't think of a single game that took less than a year and a half to release after the ending of the KS campaign
but my memory is fried so :|
Yeah, but Owlcats managed to create Kingmaker in 2.5 years, building the engine from the ground up and implementing the ruleset from scratch. Early 2021 is 2.5 years after Kingmaker's release. Of course, they spent quite a bit of time on bug fixing and DLCs for Kingmaker, but they also have to do less work for Wrath, as they already have the engine and the implementation of the ruleset, and they can probably reuse some 3D assets as well.

more like early 2021.
Is that before or after the obligatory delay every single Kickstarter game has?
Well, Kingmaker was only delayed by 1 month compared to what they promised in its Kickstarter. Not a very wise decision on the devs' (or, rather, publisher's) part, as we now know, but still...

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Early 2022?
more like early 2021.
Is that before or after the obligatory delay every single Kickstarter game has?
I doubt that there will be a delay,they have the engine fine tuned,they got the assets and got a lot of exp about what to do and not to do from the kingmaker's endless stream of patches. So i do believe that two years is normal expectation for the game,i doubt that they spend 2019 only drinking vodka. Most likely they were putting up a concept for the game and making up the story.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Are people really surprised that they're going for a crowdfunder? Like seriously, they're (for now) completely independent from publishers such as Deep Silver so it's even more incentive for them to crowdfund money to make a product. At most all they got was a million dollars from international investment companies which frankly isn't much at all when it comes towards developing a game. All I hope for is an official turn based mode as a stretch goal

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also it does makes sense from the marketing point of view. People do talk about kickstarter shit to their friends and spread the word. The important part is not to take too much time making it or people could forget about it and end up flopping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom