Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This game has such a stupid quest design, the game expects you to play by going back to inn after each zone and if you don't do that and just go between zones you randomly fail quests. Getting punished by not playing like a pussy and going back after every zone.

Saravan

Savant
Buildfag combat is excellent but the writing has been PoE-esque so far. Just walls and walls of text, trying to commit to reading all the blabber in-between the 5000 different loading screens and you just doubled the time it takes to clear a zone. The crusader thing was fun for a short while but it's pretty damn barebones. But yeah, didn't really expect it to be HoMM3 exactly but it's getting really boring.

Mauman

Learned
So....making a Lich (because OF COURSE).

Torn between two classes and figured I'd just see what other's opinions are.

Sylvan sorc - Uh...because Undead Animal Companion sounds awesome? Would also take care of persuasion (and pretty much just persuasion).

Curoromancer - makes casting necromancy spells more powerful in general. Skills in general not called persuasion would be taken care of at least. Especially if I take the background that allows me to switch out wis for int when it comes to certain knowledge skills.

Does the Undead champion pet you get as a Lich interfere with an Animal Companion?

jf8350143

Liturgist
You can completely rebuild your character, including the race and background and shit if you pick the option the difficulty setting. But I don't think you can change path though.

FriendlyMerchant

They really missed an opportunity here by not making Valerie Queen.

Saravan

Savant
If you're still playing this woke game then you deserve to be wrecked by chad gargoyles, and you know it!

:happytrollboy:

Honestly I'm really good at just blindly ignoring this shit in favor of a great combat system because I'm a combatfag. But this time, it's just way too much. For fuck's sake the first thing you do after meeting Sosiel is seeing him sitting there with his gay paint brush. Why is the only Paladin in the game a caricature soul sister? Why does the Oracle look like he's from San Fransisco? Why must the wizard be an autistic kitsune? The most "manly" male is a fucking Gnome with purple hair, jesus H christ. I'm OK with Lann and Camellia. Anyways going back to clicking on the Gargoyle another 200 times, le epic hype HoMM3 hybrid game.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
If you're still playing this woke game then you deserve to be wrecked by chad gargoyles, and you know it!

Honestly I'm really good at just blindly ignoring this shit in favor of a great combat system because I'm a combatfag. But this time, it's just way too much. For fuck's sake the first thing you do after meeting Sosiel is seeing him sitting there with his gay paint brush. Why is the only Paladin in the game a caricature soul sister? Why does the Oracle look like he's from San Fransisco? Why must the wizard be an autistic kitsune? The most "manly" male is a fucking Gnome with purple hair, jesus H christ. I'm OK with Lann and Camellia. Anyways going back to clicking on the Gargoyle another 200 times, le epic hype HoMM3 hybrid game.
The worst thing is that all their personalities are unlikable on top of that. Their writing is just dogshit.

Baldur's Gate 3's writing is miles better and it isn't even really that great.

BTW, BG3 has at least 2 bisexual characters at the start. Astarion and Lae'zel. Astarion is flamboyant and Lae'zel has a secret crush on the Gith queen.

But you know what they don't do? They don't rub it in your face. They don't make the character revolve around their sexual preferences. They're well-written. They have a past, hopes, dreams, fears. They're actually concerned about plot events and are reserved instead of just dumping all their life stories onto you the day after you meet.

People still complained incessantly about how unlikeable they were though. But they're not doing that here because in order to complain about these characters, most of what you have to criticize is their perversity, since that's what their personalities revolve around. No one wants to be banned on Steam for saying how annoyingly gay the thief is.

Mauman

Learned
Quick question.

I've been checking around and it seems Lich only adds spells to arcane classes and not divine?

So an Oracle would get squat?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quick question.

I've been checking around and it seems Lich only adds spells to arcane classes and not divine?

So an Oracle would get squat?
As per developers' words (meaning, I, myself, haven't had the chance to check them) Liches get merged spellbooks.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sylvan sorc - Uh...because Undead Animal Companion sounds awesome? Would also take care of persuasion (and pretty much just persuasion).

Curoromancer - makes casting necromancy spells more powerful in general. Skills in general not called persuasion would be taken care of at least. Especially if I take the background that allows me to switch out wis for int when it comes to certain knowledge skills.

I would go for Cruoromancer. IDK if you can merge your lich spellbook with a spontaneous or CHA based caster. And as a Lich, you will gonna get a pet. Not a animal companion, but you can in future make it a Cleric, Barbarian or etc.

There are also items which give a animal companion to you. But they aren't easy to get. Be sure to have someone in your party with high perception to maximize the chances of getting it.

EDIT : I'm playing as a Dhampir Cruoromancer. He is pretty good.

Saravan

Savant

The worst thing is that all their personalities are unlikable on top of that. Their writing is just dogshit.

Baldur's Gate 3's writing is miles better and it isn't even really that great.

BTW, BG3 has at least 2 bisexual characters at the start. Astarion and Lae'zel. Astarion is flamboyant and Lae'zel has a secret crush on the Gith queen.

But you know what they don't do? They don't rub it in your face. They don't make the character revolve around their sexual preferences. They're well-written. They have a past, hopes, dreams, fears. They're actually concerned about plot events and are reserved instead of just dumping all their life stories onto you the day after you meet.

People still complained incessantly about how unlikeable they were though. But they're not doing that here because in order to complain about these characters, most of what you have to criticize is their perversity, since that's what their personalities revolve around. No one wants to be banned on Steam for saying how annoyingly gay the thief is.

The best part was right at the prologue, you know when a gigantic wasp-swarm-demon jumps in from nowhere and opens up a gigantic rift in the earth. Two seconds later you meet Camellia down there underground and I laughed my ass off when one of the questions you could ask was "Tell me about yourself". I fully expected Owlcat to be fucking with me and clicked on it expecting some sort of reply in the vein of "didn't you just fucking see what happened over there, what you mean tell me about yourself, we gotta get out of here!" Instead the reply was some was some calm "Oh I'm just a noble traveler, bla bla bla exposition". Completely tone deaf. I gave up around Shield Maze taking an effort to actually reading this shit.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The best part was right at the prologue, you know when a gigantic wasp-swarm-demon jumps in from nowhere and opens up a gigantic rift in the earth. Two seconds later you meet Camellia down there underground and I laughed my ass off when one of the questions you could ask was "Tell me about yourself". I fully expected Owlcat to be fucking with me and clicked on it expecting some sort of reply in the vein of "didn't you just fucking see what happened over there, what you mean tell me about yourself, we gotta get out of here!" Instead the reply was some was some calm "Oh I'm just a noble traveler, bla bla bla exposition". Completely tone deaf. I gave up around Shield Maze taking an effort to actually reading this shit.
Consider who wrote it and the kind of garbage they watch. This is just the Guardians Of The Galaxy modern adventure movie tone where people can be chatting casually while the world is ending around them.

Demons have invaded. The city's strongest defender (who didn't even get a portrait lol) got one-shotted and decapitated. You just got cast into the depths of the Earth and had to fight with demonic cultists who've taken over the city. And what do the cities defenders do when you lose consciousness? They take you to an inn. A wooden inn. That's their base of operations. Against demons that use fire magic. And then everyone just sits around and starts drinking and laughing while they wait for you to do your quests.

:deathclaw:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I'm not sure, I also believe that angel only adds for divine.

But merging spellbook is amazing. Lets suppose that you are lv 11/mr 4. The 4 "levels" of mythic rank is added to your caster level, spell penetration(...) and even spells known. A Wiz/Lich at lv 11/4 mr will be able to cast 8th tier spells in chapter 2(if he played with small party and no XP share, I did it BTW) while a Wiz/Any other mp with no spell merging, only able to cast up to tier 6 magic.

And in end game, I believe that it will allow you to have a caster level of 30.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
We have a RPG with the most extensive character creation and combat system that allows you to be a completely evil character and murder everyone in several different brutally fashion, and some of you guys are complaining "those characters are so woke balabala."

Get you priorities straight, be a lich/swarm and murder their asses.

Zeriel

Arcane
I mean, if you really think about it, all those "strong, independent women" or whatever agenda might be there is all very earnest in the first chapter, but then Regill destroys all of that in a couple of sentences, pointing out that all those characters basically kept losing the war for at least 7 decades.

So, I have a feeling that after Amber Scott "did her thing", the following writers just spun everything that she wrote on its head, and made it look like a joke, or at least satire.

I will admit I haven't beat the game yet, so I don't know which female companions will end up standing out through actual, non-toxic femininity, and which not. That remains to be seen.

Nah, this excuse doesn't really fly when 9 out of 10 characters are this way. I think from the standpoint of the writers Regill is clearly supposed to be "wrong", he is just there to represent the people in the real world who also point out this stuff. It's "verisimilitude". You can also see this in the way Hulrun is portrayed--the "Lawful" side of the argument is clearly supposed to be wrong, the player just has the option to side with the wrongness. It's no mystery what the writers consider the correct choice though.

Funposter

Arcane
Paladindu is the only pozzed thing so far that doesn't bother me. She's the iconic Paladin like Amiri is the iconic Barbarian and it's the Wrath of the Righteous module. It makes perfect sense for her to be present as a party member. Take it up with Paizo rather than Owlcat.

Now, all the other gay shit and weirdo companions - that's 100% on Owlcat. It's pretty shocking how much whiplash there is going from Kingmaker's relatively vanilla companions to all these tumblr OCs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This game would have benefited from lack of day/night cycle lol. Most of the battles end up being during the night and hard to see. Also the weather system is still garbage like kingmaker,even worst.
SdO5bxU.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Get you priorities straight, be a lich/swarm and murder their asses.

Exactly. But sadly some people only wanna play with a human with a sword like in a jrpg, the fact that the game allows you to play as anything from a LG golden dragon to a evil swarm abomination is not a good thing for then...

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Is the writing really that pozzed? No exaggerating? If so, that is really disappointing, would even consider refunding. Don't want to financially support something like this

Acrux

Arcane
It's pretty close, but some things you do have to dig for. And it's mainly companions. It's especially disappointing because (((someone))) in the pre-release thread kept saying it wasn't that bad.

Ehrenmann

Dialogue is really trash. Everyone talks like a redditor so it's impossible for me to take anything seriously. Why can't adults who are supposed to be hardened by war with fucking demons talk normally?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom