Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathologic 2 (AKA Pathologic remake)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
RIP Stamatin brothers. i barely knew ye. focused my healing tincures and miracles on my bros + the children, so they croaked on the 8th day. it was a surprise they held that long with minimal care.

v1rus

Arcane
RIP Stamatin brothers. i barely knew ye. focused my healing tincures and miracles on my bros + the children, so they croaked on the 8th day. it was a surprise they held that long with minimal care.

Stamatin bros are the bros. Not only that, but geniuses and revolutionaries.

Shame on you!

v1rus

Arcane
My priority was childhood bros, Stamatin bros and Kains.

Didnt give much fuck about the kids tbh. Sticky was ok, the Kain kid and gangsta kid too I guess.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
so i am in the day 11 now, and watched some pathologic 1 reviews/analysis. i do appreciate how much in-depth and involved 2'x haruspex campaign is comapared to the original and all the plot additions and all the trippy intro stuff with the "Second chance" and mark immortel shenanigans.

kinda curious if bachelor's second chance ever get made, how would it differ from haruspex. based on what i know, bachelor was the introduction character, with his fully scientific perspective, the occult got obscured and that's the reason why haruspex's story exist in the orignal.
however with 2 we are doing the reverse, how will they show bachelor's aspect of the story that we don't already know?

Wunderbar

Arcane
i don't know if it was even planned. IcePick lodge probably made the decision to finish Haruspex' campaign first because it was in a better completion state than other campaigns.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
however with 2 we are doing the reverse, how will they show bachelor's aspect of the story that we don't already know?
The bachelor is the one organizing the whole response, getting funds from the nobles, creating the bird men and so on. I think there's plenty to explore about the mundane aspects of fighting the sandpest.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Okay, almost finished this. The turned me from starry-eyed wannabe doctor that "ok let's go save everyone!" Into literal back-stabbing low budget batman who prowls the night and stab people in the back to survive because he's convinced by surviving, he has the chance to save everyone, inadvertently putting his life on pedestal, under justification of saving people.

In the end, even with the good ending, 10k+ lives has been lost, and the survivors stood atop literal mountain of corpses.

(Thank god browsing randomly told me about the backstab mechanic)

10/10 economic depression simulator and prepare me of the upcoming corona apocalypse in 2021

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
(Thank god browsing randomly told me about the backstab mechanic)
The what now?
If you hold C you will enter "stealth" mode and if you attack with knives from behind you will do a backstab attack.

The game never explained this afaik so i stumbled upon it when searching how to defeat 4 worms in order to save Rubin
I have a vague recollection of being told that C enters stealth mode by an in game tooltip at some point, but I never really figured out how it worked. I just fought everyone head on. Like a man!

Never did manage to defeat the 4 worms either, even when I reloaded after beating the game, willing to expend all my resources in the attempt. They take so many bullets before they go down, and melee is dancing with death.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Jaedar at that point you can get a shotgun from Bad Grief, it costs like 13K and can one-shot worms at point-blank distance.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Jaedar at that point you can get a shotgun from Bad Grief, it costs like 13K and can one-shot worms at point-blank distance.
I was never even close to that amount of cash in the game. Food and medicine are expensive. I also didn't prioritize it, since regular bullets are fine for killing bandits.

I also didn't play very optimally. Spend too much time doing quests, not enough time trading/looting.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Jaedar i also didn't optimize, but playing the original game helped a lot (for example, i knew about food prices skyrocketing on Day 2).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finished it with this much close of a call:
20201001195656_1.jpg

Casualties:

20201001202941_1.jpg
20201001202945_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20201001203224_1.jpg
    20201001203224_1.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 88
I still love the fact that the ending you get essentially gets personalized by the presence/absence of each character alive or dead THIS MUCH. Yes you can beat the whole game just by sleeping through it but I cannot conceive of a more depressing sight than walking through the town on the final day populated by no one save for Tragedians.

To retell my ending, it just so happened that in my case pretty much the entire elder generation of the Town died. Of the children, I unfortunately couldn't save Taya. But the result was incredibly fitting with the theme of rebirth and plague-as-inoculation - the new generation rose from the ashes of the old, and Taya's death meant that the steppe people have no choice but to integrate with the City proper or leave and suffer in the Steppe (a tragic event, but I already in effect pulled the trigger on the people of the steppe and their world by choosing the diurnal ending. Plus Vlad the Younger was alive to reform the labor rights, so I'd like to think that remaining in the workforce was an attractive proposition for many). I was very glad to save the vast majority of the "middle generation" so to speak, as well as my childhood friends, with whom I reunited with one last time. It felt so appropriate and the fact that it wasn't scripted but rather naturally derived from the events and choices I partook in made it feel that much better.

I still remember leaving the train car on the final day to a beautiful noon clear of the plague and being so overwhelmed with catharsis that I just sat back for a second and drew one of the most satisfying breaths of my life. I expect that moment to stick with me for a long time.

Last edited:

Vibalist

Arcane
Yeah, the 'customized' ending is cool, but I still can't help but feel that some sort of fail state is needed, for instance if you fail to protect your Bound. It feels somewhat undeserved that you can have half the town die and still get the real ending.

Beowulf

Arcane
Yeah, the 'customized' ending is cool, but I still can't help but feel that some sort of fail state is needed, for instance if you fail to protect your Bound. It feels somewhat undeserved that you can have half the town die and still get the real ending.

Consider it a lesson about life and karmic justice (or rather its non-existence).

Vibalist

Arcane
I suppose? But the game is all about karmic justice throughout, so for the ending so be so detached from what you actually did is a bit jarring.

It is in part detached from what you did because you are not the only, and indeed not the only main character in this play. Is it not the Bachelor who ultimately identifies the Polyhedron as the source of the "wound"? Of course Haruspex first tests the blood from the Abattoir and develops a vaccine prior, but both of these can be done by other people at the cost of various negative consequences (I am sure about the latter, can't quite remember how failing or not doing the former goes.)

I really think going through a town of ghosts in the final day is the most profound fail state the game can put you in and the player cannot experience if they were stopped prior to that point by a different fail state. Then again, there is also accepting the passenger's deal :^)

The point of protecting all of your bound is the narrative role they all have to play in the post-game City. This role is most appropriate to the particular character they are bound to. The difference is that Patho1 requires them to live to act as mechanical triggers in a way that isn't particularly elegant, while Patho 2 simply encourages a particular character (I say that but it's still just Haruspex :^((( ) to pay special care to them. I feel like that is a more natural and less gamey way to handle their role in the play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom