Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer says that Levitation is out.

Lumpy

Arcane
yipsl said:
Proweler said:
Levitation isn't real news.

MSFD said it a while ago here at the the codex. You could only enter cities by load doors. that either means that levitation is limited to wall height or removed completely.

Can anyone direct me to the actual quote? I'd like to quote it over at the official forums in this thread:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 09644&st=0

My major points are on page 3.
Nah, Proweler is wrong. MSFD said that you can only enter cities through load doors, but that's not because Levitation is removed, but because they are different cells.

Micmu

Magister
Lumpy said:
But did Unarmored make a lot of sense anyway? How can someone get armor rating without wearing armor? Doesn't make a lot of sense. It shouldn't have been in anyway.
It has a little sense in action RPGs with twitchy combat and no to-hit rolls.

Dreagon

Scholar
Another feature deleted. This game is reminding more and more of Deus Ex 2.

Lumpy

Arcane
But they added Reanimation, for Pete's sake. Doesn't that make up for removing Levitation?

Micmu

Magister
Lumpy said:
But they added Reanimation, for Pete's sake. Doesn't that make up for removing Levitation?
'cos raising dead is teh kool. And no, patrick steward does.

Lumpy

Arcane
micmu said:
Lumpy said:
'cos raising dead is teh kool. And no, patrick steward does.
As a matter of fact, yes, it is cool, but it's also a great addition, not because it is cool, but because it is an even more important spell in the lore than levitation.

Proweler

Scholar
Lumpy said:
yipsl said:
Proweler said:

MSFD said it a while ago here at the the codex. You could only enter cities by load doors. that either means that levitation is limited to wall height or removed completely.

Can anyone direct me to the actual quote? I'd like to quote it over at the official forums in this thread:

Nah, Proweler is wrong. MSFD said that you can only enter cities through load doors, but that's not because Levitation is removed, but because they are different cells.

He dodged the qeustion. We all know what is going on when MSFD dodges qeustions.....

Dreagon

Scholar
Pete just confirmed it on the Bethesda forums. Levitation is out.

One has to wonder about the Jump spell as well.

bryce777

Erudite
"perhaps for the devs and their wondrous polls of mainstream fans, it really all does come down to just a knight riding around on a horse, running around killing things?" They already have a defender of the crown remake out. I am more likely to buy this than oblivion.

bryce777

Erudite
"As in Daggerfall (but not Morrowind), creatures and items you encounter are automatically balanced to your level. So, for instance, you can't just grab an overpowered Daedric sword by sneaking into a high-level dungeon."

Completely wrong. The random encounters and random quest dungeons are the only place this is true; the set dungeons and the ones you just stumble upon are not random at all and you could easily run into a lich with a level 3-4 character if you are not careful in your explorations. You could also get a daedric swod extremely easily.

HardCode

Erudite
I bet pretty soon we'll hear that in Oblivion, you are restriced to walking along the roads, and can't walk on the grass, a la Fable. Oblivions sounds worse and worse each time an unofficial rumor becomes offical bad news.

bryce777

Erudite
Lumpy said:
yipsl said:
Proweler said:

If you could see over the walls, you could have the same exact problem.

Well, I for one don't evenr emember levitation in daggerfall but maybe I am just misremembering as it's been many years now.

obediah

Erudite
HardCode said:
I bet pretty soon we'll hear that in Oblivion, you are restriced to walking along the roads, and can't walk on the grass, a la Fable. Oblivions sounds worse and worse each time an unofficial rumor becomes offical bad news.

And you'll be kept from dangerous areas early on by 3" limbs laying across certain paths that you won't be able to climb or jump over. As you gain levels, the limbs will erode using the powerful radiant erosion technique (TM).

Dreagon

Scholar
obediah said:
HardCode said:

And you'll be kept from dangerous areas early on by 3" limbs laying across certain paths that you won't be able to climb or jump over. As you gain levels, the limbs will erode using the powerful radiant erosion technique (TM).

Yep, being kept in a graveyard with a bunch of hungry undead by a mere four foot wall just makes all the sense in the world.

Lumpy

Arcane
bryce777 said:
Lumpy said:
yipsl said:
Proweler said:

Well, I for one don't evenr emember levitation in daggerfall but maybe I am just misremembering as it's been many years now.
You CAN see over the walls, if you jump that high or if you find a high enough elevation.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
LlamaGod said:
Why exactly isnt Unarmored in, anyways?

Characters cannot punch? what the fuck is that
Yeah, fighting unARMED is exactly what unARMORED was about.
Hand-to-hand (an idiotic name) is still in.
But did Unarmored make a lot of sense anyway? How can someone get armor rating without wearing armor? Doesn't make a lot of sense. It shouldn't have been in anyway.

By your reasoning then, armoured skill shouldn't be in, how can you get better at using armour? Surely you just wear it and it protects you, untill you get better armour. With armour skill when it goes up, you get better AC, the unarmoured skill worked in the same way.

As for reanimation being a good replacement for levitation - huh?

It really is a shame they're not releasing a demo.

bryce777

Erudite
Lumpy said:
bryce777 said:
Lumpy said:
yipsl said:
Proweler said:

You CAN see over the walls, if you jump that high or if you find a high enough elevation.

No. If you read that thing, you will know you can't. There is a generic 'outside the city' view and that's all you get.

Really, it is just done stupidly. Unsurprisingly.

Also, unarmored as in, say, dodging??

Lumpy

Arcane
bryce777 said:
No. If you read that thing, you will know you can't. There is a generic 'outside the city' view and that's all you get.

Really, it is just done stupidly. Unsurprisingly.

Also, unarmored as in, say, dodging??
No. You can see inside the city, a lower quality version of that city, but you can.
As for Unarmored being Dodging - well, isn't that what Agility does?
Good point - how can you get better at using armor? I never really understood what those armor skills were supposed to mean.
I think they should go back to the Daggerfall system - with the new penalties of using armor in magic and stealth, though.

And something I don't like - so, a mage will receive big spellcasting penalties at low Armor skills. But doesn't that mean that, at high levels, a Battlemage will be much superior to a Mage, while being inferior at low levels?

Micmu

Magister
Lumpy said:
As for Unarmored being Dodging - well, isn't that what Agility does?
In combat with to-hit rolls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom