Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer says that Levitation is out.

yipsl

Scholar
Lumpy said:
LlamaGod said:
Why exactly isnt Unarmored in, anyways?

Characters cannot punch? what the fuck is that
Yeah, fighting unARMED is exactly what unARMORED was about.
Hand-to-hand (an idiotic name) is still in.
But did Unarmored make a lot of sense anyway? How can someone get armor rating without wearing armor? Doesn't make a lot of sense. It shouldn't have been in anyway.

In all honesty, I have to say that unarmoured only works in dice roll systems, where the unarmoured rating is basically an assumed dodge that's subtracted from the "to hit". It doesn't work in the new system. I just wonder how twitch the dodge perk of acrobatics actually turns out to be.

Hand to hand sounds like ballroom dancing and aikido, or else an old beatles song. Unarmed does make more sense, or why not just give it the translation of the Khajiit and call it Rain of Sand? It works in the lore.

bryce777

Erudite
Lumpy said:
bryce777 said:
No. If you read that thing, you will know you can't. There is a generic 'outside the city' view and that's all you get.

Really, it is just done stupidly. Unsurprisingly.

Also, unarmored as in, say, dodging??
No. You can see inside the city, a lower quality version of that city, but you can.
As for Unarmored being Dodging - well, isn't that what Agility does?
Good point - how can you get better at using armor? I never really understood what those armor skills were supposed to mean.
I think they should go back to the Daggerfall system - with the new penalties of using armor in magic and stealth, though.

And something I don't like - so, a mage will receive big spellcasting penalties at low Armor skills. But doesn't that mean that, at high levels, a Battlemage will be much superior to a Mage, while being inferior at low levels?

That's as I said. You can't really look in.

There are not even hit rolls? Jesus, what a useless game this will be.

Lumpy

Arcane
bryce777 said:
There are no hit rolls for melee, but there are for marksman weapons (or should I say weapon?) and there will probably be a casting chance for magic.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
bryce777 said:
Many console morons have complained why they can't hit a creature that's in front of them, so Bethesda removed the hit rolls. If it's in front of you, you will always hit it.

" Howard described it this way: "It's amazing how many people played Morrowind and said, 'Why is my character missing when he swings? The enemy is right there!,' "

bryce777

Erudite
At this point I have to wonder how anyone could possibly be looking forward to this game.

Seriously.

The not being able to fly into/see into cities alone makes it into a lame place. You don't need to load entire graphics objcts to show the details as they come. If you have load discreet load areas like that these days, it's because your programmers are just morons, plain and simple. Want to know how to fix this? It's called computer science. Something people trying to do even halfhearted programming should likely look into.

Then we get hokey shit like horses running away...and this is bragged about. Who know what arbitrary, insane shit they have done and not mentioned.

The combat sounds like an abomination that will be of no challenge to action lovers or people who want some sort of strategy.

They brag about completing quests using what are basically exploits in the radiant ai such as the diamond example.

They have made the skill system even more braindead, and yet obviously haven't fixed the exploits or even made it make any fucking sense.

Apparently we also have the same moronic 'dialog' system. With this sort of system, does it even really matter what the quests are? The quests seem like they will largely be gmmicky stuff where you explot the radient ai stuff anyhow.

The still shots look pretty good, but the demo video thing looked like ass. We will have to see how much better the actual game is, if any. With all the other shit, who cares, though?

This game just sounds worse and worse. In fact, it simply stuns me it has received so much hype, and seems to have so many people looking forward to it.

Twinfalls

Erudite
If it's in front of you, you will always hit it.

See now that should be way more iconic than 'if you build it, they will come'...

FUCK i hate that that pillar of mediocrity Dances with Wolves whats-his -face has some kind of claim to popular Yank-fed cultural knowledge

bryce777

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
If it's in front of you, you will always hit it.

See now that should be way more iconic than 'if you build it, they will come'...

FUCK i hate that that pillar of mediocrity Dances with Wolves whats-his -face has some kind of claim to popular Yank-fed cultural knowledge

I just can't wait to see skeletons leaping around like fleas to avoid yout sword. Might almost make the game worthwhile.

At this poitn I think the only way they could would be to make you start waking up in strange places naked such as the zoo and eventually finding out you are a werewolf.

bryce777

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
bryce777 said:
Many console morons have complained why they can't hit a creature that's in front of them, so Bethesda removed the hit rolls. If it's in front of you, you will always hit it.

" Howard described it this way: "It's amazing how many people played Morrowind and said, 'Why is my character missing when he swings? The enemy is right there!,' "

I guess a noise like a sword ringing off of armor would be too hard for them. Jebus. I think they have one beyond mere dumbing down to full lobotomy.

Twinfalls

Erudite
bryce777 said:
At this poitn I think the only way they could would be to make you start waking up in strange places naked such as the zoo and eventually finding out you are a werewolf.

You just want a virtual Jenny-Agutter-in-the-Shower-simulator admit it, Bryce.

Proweler

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
bryce777 said:

Make sense for any RPG in 3d to remove the tohit roll. You no longer need it to decided wether you hit the creature or not. Not when you can see the creature moving about, trying to evade your hits.

Twinfalls

Erudite
I'm curious, Proweler - just how retarded are you? Can you put it on a scale? Any info would be appreciated.

HardCode

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Who know what arbitrary, insane shit they have done and not mentioned.

This is why I am unlikely to buy the game at all ... I will wait at LEAST a solid month or so to see what customers think of the game, not brain-dead Todd "OMG!! LOL We maek teh game 4 teh console kidz. Now u can hit teh monsturz every tme!!!" Howard or game reviewers.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Proweler said:
Vault Dweller said:
bryce777 said:

Make sense for any RPG in 3d to remove the tohit roll. You no longer need it to decided wether you hit the creature or not. Not when you can see the creature moving about, trying to evade your hits.
Skills. The difference between a shooter and an RPG is using player's skills for the former, character's skills for the latter. In an RPG combat is being resolved by comparing one character's attack skills to another character's defense skills. If a creature has better defense, it would evade your attacks. If not, you will hit it. Simple as that.

If you want to use your own reflexes and coordination, that aspect of a game stops being an RPG and become something else. In this case, a shooter.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Proweler said:
Vault Dweller said:
bryce777 said:

Skills. The difference between a shooter and an RPG is using player's skills for the former, character's skills for the latter. In an RPG combat is being resolved by comparing one character's attack skills to another character's defense skills. If a creature has better defense, it would evade your attacks. If not, you will hit it. Simple as that.

If you want to use your own reflexes and coordination, the aspect of a game stops being an RPG and become something else. In this case, a shooter.
Character skill will affect damage, so it will still be more important than player skill.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Lumpy
Not as important. Strength would add extra damage, so what? What's more important for winning a fight, causing 10-15% extra damage per hit or hitting every time? Determining hit or miss is critical, it's the core of developing a fighting character. Adding a minor damage modifier is, again, icing on a cake that's useless without a cake.

@ Twinfalls
:wink:

Imbecile

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Character skill will affect damage, so it will still be more important than player skill.

Yep, its a blend of the two both character stats and player skill play a part. If you have any form of real time combat you need to have some kind of player skill involved, otherwise you end up with combat like Morrowinds. Charge in and pummel the mouse button repeatedly, after all, it doesnt matter what you do if the stats are all that matters.

Equally if there is no stat involvement, you basically end up with an FPS. Dont think anyone wants that, but fortunately its not what we've got.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
@ Lumpy
Not as important. Strength would add extra damage, so what? What's more important for winning a fight, causing 10-15% extra damage per hit or hitting every time? Determining hit or miss is critical, it's the core of developing a fighting character. Adding a minor damage modifier is, again, icing on a cake that's useless without a cake.

@ Twinfalls
:wink:
Vault Dweller, I'm sure that the skill damage modifier will not be minor, since it's preety much everything that skills do, as far as I know. I believe that, if in Morrowind one skill level had twice the hit chance of another skill level, this time, that first skill level will ofer twice the damage modifier of the second skill level.

Balor

Arcane
*rolls eyes*
Again that 'tohit roll' masturbation galore?
I ALWAYS hated tohit rolls, and not because I adore twitch-based gameplay, but because tohit rolls is DUMBED DOWN gameplay element.

Or, if you wish, greatly simlified. And, at least, in MOST implementations of it.
For instance, you have a great dodge ability. You can dodge 90% of attacks.
Now, emagine you are attacked from all sides, at once. THERE IS FUCKING NO WAY you can dodge them as easy as you can dodge a single attack, yet, in 99% of games, you are.
That's the most glaring example, anyway. Other, similar situations may (and were, I just cannot recall now) exist.
And btw, removing twich elements in favor of roll-based also mean SIMPLIFICATION of the game - so even ones with parkions syndrom or whatever can play it... now, we can ridicule players that cannot play a game due to inborn lack of wits - why we are so careful about players with reaction and hand coordination disabilities? Either we go 'fuck all!' or, be total carebears, otherwise it's, unfortunately, kinda hypocritical.
And besides, manually doing some skill-based dodges (speed of your dodges and effectiveness of your blocks ARE skill-dependant, as much as I recall) - is not THAT much of twitch. And it's mostly for rogues and stuff.
Or you'd the game to cast spells for you, in case you are a complete loser with no hands? Or, perhaps, you want it play itself w/o your control at all?
You already Progress quest.
Now fuck off.
P.S.
Yea, am a 'bit' grumpy atm, due to some RL probs, but hey - it's Codex! ;)

Lumpy

Arcane
150 new books can be read in-game, as well as periodically produced newspapers that report major events.
Probably another PC Gamer quote, from sjapp.
Sounds interesting. Or are you saying that newspapers are mainstreaming as well?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Balor said:
I ALWAYS hated tohit rolls, and not because I adore twitch-based gameplay, but because tohit rolls is DUMBED DOWN gameplay element.
Only in Balorland

For instance, you have a great dodge ability. You can dodge 90% of attacks.
Now, emagine you are attacked from all sides, at once. THERE IS FUCKING NO WAY you can dodge them as easy as you can dodge a single attack, yet, in 99% of games, you are.
Good example to illustrate your cluelessness, comrade:

Flanking
To be directly on the other side of a character who is being threatened by another character. A flanking attacker gains a +2 flanking bonus on attack rolls against the defender. A rogue can sneak attack a defender that she is flanking.

Anything else I can help you with?

Imbecile

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Flanking
To be directly on the other side of a character who is being threatened by another character. A flanking attacker gains a +2 flanking bonus on attack rolls against the defender. A rogue can sneak attack a defender that she is flanking.

Anything else I can help you with?

Fair enough. But the problem I always have with stats in a real time situation, is that if the player has no involvement (other than selecting armour and weaponry) in real time combat, then you just dont feel involved. It doesnt feel like real combat - or what I would imagine real combat to feel like.

If theres no player skill involved, what is the player for once combat has begun? Might as well just level up your stats, get some decent kit, and have autocombat! The tactical hit/miss thing works in turn based games, but not real time as far as I'm concerned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom