Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer says that Levitation is out.

gromit

Arcane
Okay, here's how I see it. In all of the games before, you had to be pointing at something to hit it. The rolls were not magical "attack shit within my general area" functions... well, outside of the "magically attack shit within my general area" spells. So, to hit things, you had to be able to point a cursor, it's a given.

Now, Morrowind's combat system was very, very simple. Outside of the enemy blocking a successful attack, one roll resulted in either a successful hit, or the now infamous whiffs. In Oblivion's combat, the hit will always occur when you swing at a target within range. My understanding, though, is that it may not necessarily be "the hit" as seen in Morrowind; it isn't going to give you a free ride through the single check that was present in that game, call it damage, and call it a day.

If a lower speed attribute than the opponent makes it easier for them to move out of the way of your swing or get a block attempt in, if lower strength makes it easier for them to withstand the blocking impact or for their armor to absorb the damage, if piss-poor swordsmanship makes these, being effortlessly parried, and all other forms of failure more common, then we're still pointing, clicking, and letting the numbers do their thing. It's removing the "pretend something happened" and replacing it with the logical progression of events based on skill. I would rather have that indication of what happened to my attack, see the blade glance off their shield or armor, see them effortlessly parry my newb swings, than see a sword go through them.

At this point, please let me reaffirm that I am wicked, wicked queer for stat-driven combat. I think it's tragic that so many people think it has no value beyond what it attempts to abstract, just like many think of videogames in general. They cannot appreciate it as a wholly different system of play, complete with its own charm, and instead only see "the old, not real way" of doing combat. On the attacking side of things, I just don't see where harm has been done to the stat-reliance of combat, and the opportunity for more stat interaction may have arisen from the need to explain misses. If the game comes out an misses all of these opportunities, I'll cry and you can laugh.

However, that's on the ATTACKING side.

Ultimately, the only change to this combat system, regarding its preference of math over twitch, is that whether or not the player even attempts to block is no longer up to the stats, even if the success of it is, and the player dodging is no longer a "just pretend" moment arising out of your statistical ability to dodge, even if the speed at which you can dodge is based on the stats.

This is what means twitchier combat - moving a stick or pressing a key, within a window whose length will hopefully at least vary based on stats, in reaction to an NPC's attack. I would hold no issue with seeing swings get resolved more elegantly than "WHIFF!" if my chance to even have a chance did not come down to pressing a button in time.

Can I dodge this? Then I'll pretend a little if moving me to the side automatically comes off a little odd in playtesting. Can I block this? Great, throw up the fucking shield already. You know I want to block something if it's about to hit me, so don't wait on me to tell you so.

Debates over whether or not a swing has a chance to have never existed, versus some stat-induced action happening to prevent it from connecting or dealing damage, are some very small potatoes compared to creating a situation based solely on reaction time, and if you guys should be up in arms over anything for making the combat twitchy, it's this.

Oh, and by the way... too bad about levitation, seems it's gone the way of the rope arrow. Which used to be up, but not anymore. Ba-dum dum.

bryce777 said:
Actually I just want a game where I can rape teenage girls, but don't tell anyone.
It's called real life, my friend... it has amazing graphics, and doesn't take a computer to play. (yipsl: If your people were raped in the past, sorry, but tough! I'm done editing this. Don't all wear such short skirts next time.)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
For fucks sake, another extremely pointless codex discussion. Will oblivion be cool? Who knows. Will it being cool depend on a few skills? You bet your ass it won't. Mostly it's the sum of it's parts that will make or break a game. Oblivion seems most likely to be a fun exploration game and a poor rpg, just like morrowind.

Oh, and roleplaying isn't about turn based combat or skills. It's about being able to roleplay a certain character. Something computer games simply can't (untill we create an ai that's at least as creative as a dm). Still, some games do better than others, see games like vampire, arcanum and fallout. That has to do with the different ways one can approach the quests, npc's and gameworld, not just the stats and skillset.

Revasser

Scholar
I don't see why leaving in to-hit rolls had to impact on the kewl visserel kombatt!

Why not keep to-hit rolls, so that your character will actually miss if his skills suck with that weapon, and when you miss, have the monster you're trying to bash initiate a dodge animation?

Maia

Novice
wallace said:
Debates over whether or not a swing has a chance to have never existed, versus some stat-induced action happening to prevent it from connecting or dealing damage, are some very small potatoes compared to creating a situation based solely on reaction time, and if you guys should be up in arms over anything for making the combat twitchy, it's this.

I really hope that it is possible to adjust movement and attack speeds in combat. In MW default speeds of NPC combat are just too high for me to react in time or to employ much tactics beyond advance-buffing and potion chugging, but "Combat enhanced" mod not only offers some tactics for melee attack via combos and manual blocking, but also "slow time" function which allows for much more tactical and non-twitch approach as well as lots of visual coolness. If such an option was in Obl, then its combat would be much more varied and absorbing without becoming more "actiony".

I do think that not including "miss" or "enemy dodge" animations for MW was sloppy and lazy. If they had been there, nobody would have complained about the "to hit" rolls. Personally, I don't think that the dice rolls added anything to MW, but they could be essential for a CRPG with locational damage - which Obl should have been.

Dreagon

Scholar
Revasser said:
I don't see why leaving in to-hit rolls had to impact on the kewl visserel kombatt!

Why not keep to-hit rolls, so that your character will actually miss if his skills suck with that weapon, and when you miss, have the monster you're trying to bash initiate a dodge animation?

I would have been a lot happier with this approach myself. As it is, its just a little to "arcade" for my tastes.

HardCode

Erudite
yipsl said:
bryce777 said:
Actually I just want a game where I can gas jews and rape teenage girls, but don't tell anyone.

... After all, I would have been on Hitler's list for two different reasons.

You rape teenage girls? :D

Dreagon

Scholar
HardCode said:
yipsl said:
bryce777 said:
Actually I just want a game where I can gas jews and rape teenage girls, but don't tell anyone.

... After all, I would have been on Hitler's list for two different reasons.

You rape teenage girls? :D

Well, you gotta admit there ain't much point in raping the 70 year old girls.

Dreagon

Scholar
An other amusing thought occurred to me today over the levitation issue, and issue by the way that is actually even causeing a bit more stir than the other omissions over at the Beth forums.

We actually didn't find out about the omission of levitation (and the jump spell btw) until after the game was supposed to be released. In other words they intended to slip that little surpise past everybody. Gotta love the Beth PR stratagy. I wonder what other little surprises we find out about before this game is released.

Proweler

Scholar
Dreagon said:
An other amusing thought occurred to me today over the levitation issue, and issue by the way that is actually even causeing a bit more stir than the other omissions over at the Beth forums.

We actually didn't find out about the omission of levitation (and the jump spell btw) until after the game was supposed to be released. In other words they intended to slip that little surpise past everybody. Gotta love the Beth PR stratagy. I wonder what other little surprises we find out about before this game is released.

I assume they were working on getting it to work. They didn't remove it from the start. So think that the short mention in that game magazine was the official news.

It's a fact though that forums can't take bad news. Even if they posted 100 new features that were created because levitation got cut, you'll see no praise for those 100 new features, no you'll see people arguing how those 100 new features suck and don't make up for levitation.

Dreagon

Scholar
Proweler said:
Dreagon said:

I assume they were working on getting it to work. They didn't remove it from the start. So think that the short mention in that game magazine was the official news.

It's a fact though that forums can't take bad news. Even if they posted 100 new features that were created because levitation got cut, you'll see no praise for those 100 new features, no you'll see people arguing how those 100 new features suck and don't make up for levitation.

You're kidding, right? That forum is so full of defensive fanboys its ridiculous. They circle the wagons and chant the mantra of "we don't care, it don't matter, Oblvion is better off without it" at the announcement of each new weapon, spell, or skill dropped. All they need are pom poms and a couple of dance steps, and they will have a pep rally routine.

Proweler

Scholar
Dreagon said:
You're kidding, right? That forum is so full of defensive fanboys its ridiculous. They circle the wagons and chant the mantra of "we don't care, it don't matter, Oblvion is better off without it" at the announcement of each new weapon, spell, or skill dropped. All they need are pom poms and a couple of dance steps, and they will have a pep rally routine.

That really depends on what side of the fence you are. Looking at the polls it seems both sides are eqaully represented.

Dreagon

Scholar
Proweler said:
Dreagon said:

That really depends on what side of the fence you are. Looking at the polls it seems both sides are eqaully represented.

Actually that most recent poll (about whether the game was being dumbed down) surprised me as well. Most polls in the past when spears disappeared, or skills were blended tended to result in rather lobsided majorities taking the "it's okay" position. But since this latest revelation about levitation, there seems to have been a quiet but significantly sizable shift in opinion. Suddenly things are much more divided. Now that might not last, or it might portend a community that is beginning to tire of having ugly rumors turn into ugly facts and then having a PR flack tell them they aren't worthy of an explanation.

Proweler

Scholar
IMO the connection between levitation, spears, marksman and mounted combat is and the poll results is how much people used each feature. It wasn't a rumour either, having it mentioned in a game mag is pretty much official, people just didn't want to believe it.

Anyway I haven't seen any PR flak regarding the cutting of levitation. Not the stuff and explanation we got for spears, marksman and mounted combat.
Seeing how it used to be in I don't think they expected it to be axed themselves (and I hope they leave it in as is and just remove the spell from the world and not from the game).

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Dreagon said:
Revasser said:

I would have been a lot happier with this approach myself. As it is, its just a little to "arcade" for my tastes.

Opponents know when you are attacking, and that increases their chances of blocking or dodging. Ends up effectively working exactly as you describe.

bryce777

Erudite
wallace said:
It's called real life, my friend... it has amazing graphics, and doesn't take a computer to play. (yipsl: If your people were raped in the past, sorry, but tough! I'm done editing this. Don't all wear such short skirts next time.)

They wouldn't have been outside if they didn't want it!

yipsl

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Opponents know when you are attacking, and that increases their chances of blocking or dodging. Ends up effectively working exactly as you describe.

Any info on why levitation was cut? Is it a city cell issue as I surmise? Someone did mention flying animations, so I thought that there was a new improved levitation.

Just hope it's not the Prince of Persia acrobatic moments, even though all my characters take Acrobatics as a major. Levitation was fun and I'd rather it be a technical issue that can be addressed in an expansion rather than a design decision.

Revasser

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Dreagon said:
Revasser said:

So.. "if it's in front of you, you'll hit it" is actually false, then? And if this increases their chances of blocking or dodging... isn't that a de-facto to-hit roll?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So.. "if it's in front of you, you'll hit it" is actually false, then? And if this increases their chances of blocking or dodging... isn't that a de-facto to-hit roll?

Well, seems like it does eh? It's also a lot more realistic than some dice roll, a dice roll whose purpose in the first place was to simulate all that attacking/dodging/blocking stuff.

STASKO

Novice
ok It is out of the game but if you see Oblivion and Morrowind i only can say,,, Oblivion is better and you forget about it until you playOblivion so it is not so bad Levitation is out.

Micmu

Magister
STASKO said:
ok It is out of the game but if you see Oblivion and Morrowind i only can say,,, Oblivion is better and you forget about it until you playOblivion so it is not so bad Levitation is out.
Yep I already forgot about it. :roll:
And what's levitation?

Proweler

Scholar
Revasser said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Dreagon said:
Revasser said:

More like if it's infront of you, you will hit it but don't expect anybody to stay infront of you for long.

Here2Argue

Novice
Crazy...

It seems they're putting in a lot of rather superfluous material in place of stuff that would really improve the game.

If Tony Hawk could get rid of loading times, why can't Oblivion?
Why doesn't someone concentrate on making a truly exceptional enemy AI system that makes each type of creature seem alive and different?

And why do I always get here too late to make any sort of difference?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Why doesn't someone concentrate on making a truly exceptional enemy AI system that makes each type of creature seem alive and different?

Mmmh, already seen morrowinds critters? They were either peacefull or came at you like a banshee from hell. The amount of suicidal rats I slaughtered were ridiculous. That game felt like evolution and the simple notion of survival never ever happened in the gameworld. The Gothic series AI is a lot better and I'm interested in what gothic 2 will offer, but I won't hold my breath for oblivion's AI. Unless that radiant thingie really works......

EDIT By the way, that pcgamer article is a fun read. The guy seems rather enthousiastic about it, and I like the stuff he mentions.

http://www.xboxyde.com/forum_1_7736_1_en.html

yipsl

Scholar
STASKO said:
B ut I've seen Daggerfall and it's Daggerfall that I'm comparing Oblivion too, not Morrowind. Morrowind is bupkis to me. I won't play it once Oblivion gets close to recreating Daggerfall, but I will still continue to play Daggerfall!

I just read the illegal scans of the preview, but only after I went to the grocery store, Walmart, EB Games and B Dalton and they only had the January issue I already have. Drat it, I'm cursed, both last year and this year, my subscription lapsed for one month and the Oblivion coverage comes out.

So, when the February issue gets in the store this week, I'll buy it. I doubt they'll send it with my renewal, I'll probably have to wait till the March issue. At any rate, I want all the Oblivion coverage in PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World.

It does look good. I like the idea of dopplegangers created with Daedric swords and it was neat when the dev dropped the sword, the NPC picked it up and created a doppleganger of the dev's character. I like the RAI and I'll definitely visit the girl painting and kibbitz a bit. I like living another life, not just taking another life out of boredom in a game like the mainstream that Pete's marketing to.

My respect for Bryce has dropped to 0 and Wallace seems a lost cause. There are two extremes of free speech. One is that at the official TES forums where you can't even make a joke about the devs ruining the game the way the politicians are ruining the country without getting a PM from Hayt saying "I know you hate this game!...." (no I only hate corporate mainstreaming). The other are comments like that made by Bryce, which show just how stupid people can be. He reminds me of a guy I knew 20 years ago in college, bright, a good prelaw student but a drunkard with antisemitic conspiracy theory attitudes. He couldn't figure out why no one wanted to hear that stuff he spouted all the time.

Free speech is not yelling fire in a crowded theater, and I've long advocated on the official boards that some things should never be simulated in a game. No rape, no genocide, no harming of virtual children. It's not because of a crazed guy named Jack Thompson, but because game's reflect the players and the developers both, as well as society. It's one thing to have an assassins guild and quite another thing to have a game marketed involving no consequences for doing what would be evil in real life. IMHO, even a mob game should have consequences for actions and not glorify rape, murder or fomenting race riots.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I advocate violence on virtual children. What's wrong with it? It was nice to see Wirt's dead corpse in Diablo 2 after he price gouged me in Diablo 1 every time I went back to town.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom