Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC performance thread

Ringhausen

Augur
is anyone else playing with the draw distance set to low?

Yes, the only way to keep the frame rate from slugging to the lower 40s with my gtx 760. Pop-ins through the ass but you get used to it, just like in W2.
The new drivers didn't seem to do much at all.

Mortmal

Arcane
ok I got the game, installed, updated the nvidia drivers, installed patch 1.3....set everything to low, resolution 1280*768 or something and the game runs like total shit, it must be around 15 FPS.. what do, guys?
Disable NVidia hairwork, put shadows to low ,water low those are probably the ressources drain .Also I noticed a big performance drop if the game is not full screen check that.
how far did you get in reading my post?
Just die in a fire .

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
my older PC with 8800 GT,4 GB RAM i5 2,20 GHz or something, can't remember now, ran W2 (before the stupid EE) just fine on medium to high settings
my gf's pc with 545 GT,8 GB RAM, 3,30 GHz i5 ran it a little bit worse but still totally good looking and playable
That's weird, while 545 is a budget card it is still a couple of generations ahead of 8800 and should have better perfomance.
Is it by chance a notebook?
nope, they both a pre-built Hewlet Packard PC

Former-HP-CEO-Carly-Fiorina-to-announce-presidential-campaign.jpg

Everything is fine!

A.K.A
Carly Fiorina'd

Zep--

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Pop-ins through the ass but you get used to it, just like in W2.
I get terrible npc pop-ins on everything ultra.
Sometimes you run through an empty camp, look back and suddenly there are 10 people standing there.
Also didn't have such problems before 1.04, that patch broke lots of things it seems.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
So has the PC version of Twitcher got better graphics than this?

If not, that's a major failure. Apparently that game has 3 times as large game world as Witcher 3, and it runs on Wii U :lol:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So has the PC version of Twitcher got better graphics than this?

If not, that's a major failure. Apparently that game has 3 times as large game world as Witcher 3, and it runs on Wii U :lol:

Huge, empty and flat, typical japanese design - in TW3 the single White Orchard location probably has more detail than the whole Xenoblade world.

Ayreos

Augur
I'll chip in for this great game.

Game v. 1.04
i7 4790k
16gb Ram
Asus matrix r9 290x
No OC

Everything maxed in graphics and post-processing.

I get constant 30 FPS. Disabling tressFX, constant 45 FPS.

Something tells me that putting on my HD 7750 with 1GB would run this at the same frame rate and with no noticeable visual impact.

SniperHF

Arcane
For the Crossfire flickering, turning VSYNC on got rid of most of it for me.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Interesting tweak popped up for those of you using Nvidia GPU's, both Kepler and Maxwell.

Cut the file APEX_ClothingGPU_x64.dll from your Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\The Witcher 3\bin\x64 folder (I recommend pasting it to a safe location for potential later restoration) and you may see a nice performance improvement, especially if you were previously running below 60fps.

Covered here: http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/37naxt/what_does_apex_clothinggpu_x64dll_do/?

I haven't noticed any ill effects but I'm going to keep the file around just in case. This only involves physics when it comes to clothing rendering so there should be no fear of save game corruption, etc.

Sodafish

Arcane
The HairWorksAA=n tweak worked quite well for me (set it to 4), and gave me back the kind of performance I was seeing before the 1.05 patch.

sser

Arcane
Developer
GTX 970 4mb
i5-4460 CPU

For some reason this game runs way below the levels it should. I can't for the life of me figure it out. A driver update can't make that big of a difference, right? The last time I tried to update my computer blacked out and I had to do a system restore.

Beowulf

Arcane
A driver update can make that big of a difference if it is tailored for a specific game. But with new card you shouldn't be experiencing significant improvement, not to mention that new patches and new, "optimised" drivers made the game loose few FPS in specific departments. It may sound like a stupid wuestion, but do you run it with Hairworks on (even without fiddling with .ini to reduce Hairworks AA level). Or perhaps you are using some big-ass new 4k display?

I'm running it on Ultra with MSI 970 and slower CPU than you, and with increased shadows and some details tweaked beyond ultra I get rather consistent 45-55 FPS, 45 when looking at a lot of vegetation at single moment, 50-55 for the rest (Hairowks off).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hairworks is off. The resolution is at 1900x1200 IIRC, don't think there's anything fancy going on there.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
sser, make sure you're not accidentally running the game in borderless window mode. It likes to set itself that way after updates. Set it back to full-screen mode and your performance should come back.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Yeah I'm really wondering if it's secretly putting itself on bad settings because that's exactly what it was doing when I first installed it. The game ran fine then when I went into the settings and 'fixed' them, but now it's just shit, even though the settings look fixed. I've no clue what the hell is going on.

Beowulf

Arcane
sser, make sure you're not "accidentally" running the game in borderless window mode.

+1 The game like to troll me changing this from time to time, which results in 10-15 FPS drop ;).

Another long shot - do you have DSR on in Nvidia settings panel?
In case you cannot identify what causes your poor performance, I would advise re-downloading ini files (both steam and Galaxy can do that) and working with tweaking from the start.
Handy guide, if you haven't read it already: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36088-A-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I couldn't resist and tried out the game on my old GPU (EAH6850, overclocked to 940 and 1150MHz, giving me around 3 more fps).
Runs a lot better than I expected, smooth enough at least under medium settings to be able to handle Death March difficulty.
Without SweetFX (1600x900 resolution, resolution matters) I had around 30fps on average and always more than 25. Good enough for me, I played through GTAIV with those numbers.
With SweetFX (E3FX v7 color only version) it's around 25, often close to 30, always more than 20 (all values outdoors in crowded places). Not sure if I can still deal with that fps drop but I'll at least try, because the color palette is just that much better than the too colorful vanilla one.

Official system requirements on this one are extremely exaggerated. And the game looks gorgeous under medium settings.

If only I could get rid of the constant wind.
Is there a mod adressing that? I mean there is one that makes weather even stormier so I guess someone must have done the opposite?

is anyone else playing with the draw distance set to low?
At the moment I still try to play on medium. It's just irritating me when there's a forest on the other side of the lake and you can't see it. If the framerate gets too low for my taste (I barely notice anything higher than 30 fps in an action CRPG, this isn't a shooter) I'll definitely try it with view distance set to low. Easy 4-5 fps gain.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom