Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PE Questions and Answers

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Does anyone know where you can forge the two sword parts together that you find in the water?
The one that you find in the harbor in Ondra's Gift.

And on what levels of Caed Nua do you find the parts for the other sword? Are there two or three parts?
I'm on Caed Nua Level 12 and found only the first part so far. May have missed something along the way.

Xeon

Augur
An NPC near the Valiant Warehouse where you first meet Pelagina, can give you another part and tells you about someone who you can talk to about the parts.

SoupNazi

a, uhm, question regarding the end of act 3

So I did all God quests but I told them i wanted to think about it first: didn't commit to any of them. Went to burial isle to do Hivarias' quest, cleared it out, found the pit. Decided to jump in cuz I wanted to see what horrible death it would give me.

I survived and during the descent it said 'the souls the gods sent helped me'. Wtf????? this a bug that autoaligned me to some god or smth?
Nah. They all agree to give you the help of those souls just because you do the quest. The allegiance thing is that you promise to do with the trapped souls whatever they want you to do, and in turn, they'll give you a lot of power.

I don't know what happens if you agree to align with one of them right away, maybe they give you some stat boost right away, I didn't commit either. But basically the commit thingy is only for the extra power they promise you after you do the deed.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Grieving Mother, Paladin, Dwarf Ranger, or filthy Orlan Druid? Which is better and why?

Seriously, I can't decide who should be the sixth party member. I need someone in the front line, but the Blackladin lady seems kind of bland.

Grieving Mother, Paladin, Dwarf Ranger, or filthy Orlan Druid? Which is better and why?

Seriously, I can't decide who should be the sixth party member. I need someone in the front line, but the Blackladin lady seems kind of bland.
Only the pala can be front line of those. But even she does that badly.

Mystary!

Arcane
Now, what attribute influences damage for Wands/Rods/Scepters?

I am still trying to be a psuedo warrior-mage, so any beenfit to carrying Greatsword for my Wizard? Rod/Scepter will be my primary, greatsword for close combat.
Not sure if serious... but Might, Might affects all damage. That is why you are making a warrior-wizard to begin with remember?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

And storyfag-wise? I hear some good things about the Grieving Mother.

Wulfstand

Prophet

Grieving Mother, because of her writing & being a cipher (arguably the best ranged damage dealer). The druid is seriously good as a class but Hiravias has some shit stats and a (personally) irritating character, the paladin chick has shit stats (I literally didn't know what to make of her, since she had something akin to 13 might? and I wasn't going to run around the whole game collecting plants and dragon tooths just to enchant her armor with +3 might for a measly 16/17 MIG tops late-game) and while the ranger girl is cute and her wolf is helpful as a meat-shield at least, if you were to choose one just go for GM + Kana/a chanter's ranged attack speed buff and you're good to go.

You might wan to take all of them in your party one time or another, just for the sake of completing their side-quests for bonus xp/occasional loot.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Sagani can be in front line and you get extra foxy-meatball who doesn't care if it's fallen in battle or not. Eder, Sagani and foxy was my front line.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

And storyfag-wise? I hear some good things about the Grieving Mother.

Seriously, the Dwarf Ranger with a good Arbalest - and you've got one of the best heavy hitters for ranged combat. The Paladin Lady is good enough for front combat, almost as good as a Fighter. Haven't played the Druid or the Grieving Mother yet.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

Pallegina works fine as a kind of off-tank, with a 2-hander she deals decent enough damage as well. I just make sure that Edér is the first man in, then comes Birdie and thats about it.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
I found Grieving Mother maudlin and kind of annoying. She's also got this whole "heal the world's damaged soul" thing which just grated on me. But people tend to like that gothy "I wear black because it reflects my soul" high school shit, so I'm sure she'll be most people's favorite character.

Kiste

Augur
I found Grieving Mother maudlin and kind of annoying. She's also got this whole "heal the world's damaged soul" thing which just grated on me. But people tend to like that gothy "I wear black because it reflects my soul" high school shit, so I'm sure she'll be most people's favorite character.
I found a lot of the Griving Mother text to be obnoxiously obscure and I don't think I really understand what the whole Birthing Bell thing is all about. I would agree that it mainly panders to those easily impressed by "deep shit".

Ziem

Arbiter
:mca:

SoupNazi

I don't think I really understand

And it didn't occur to you that that might be the problem?

It's a genuinely interesting character, and not even as dark as the portrait makes it seem to be. The repairing of the world's damaged soul is pretty far from the truth, too.

Kiste

Augur

Yes, in the sense that I don't think there is a lot to understand. It's nicely written yet ultimately obscurantist Gobbledigook until the underwhelming resolution.

I'm sorry, I'm just not all that fascinated by that character.

SoupNazi

Yes, in the sense that I don't think there is a lot to understand. It's obscurantist Gobbledigook until the underwhelming resolution.

I'm sorry, I'm just not all that fascinated by that character.
She isolated an old traumatizing memory about helping birth the first Hollowborn child; as a Cipher and a birth assistant, she had a deep link with the mothers and the children, so it was quite a daunting task. Plus she used her mind affecting techniques to make the mother care for the child anyway, even though the Hollowborn were usually being killed. Her meddling with that eventually killed the mother because she stopped caring for herself. So she blocked that memory, had to eventually escape the town where she was up until that point very respected, and then used her powers to change her appearance to everyone else so that nobody finds her interesting; essentially she is hiding from both the memory (and her guilt) and the world.

The Watcher uncovers that memory and can also see through the disguise (the "mind trick" doesn't work on him). You get to either console her, say it wasn't her fault, or blame her and say she should learn not to meddle with people's minds like that, etc. It's not all that dark in my opinion, and it's mostly her fault, not some trauma brought on her by someone else that she overreacts to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiste

Augur
Let's spoiler this shit.

Yes, I got that. I still don't know what the fuck a "Birthing Bell" is or why the woman would return to that thing and wait there for birthing mothers who would never come after my mind wipe turned her into a state of blissful ignorance.
Also, I didn't say it was dark, I said it was made to pander to people who are easily impressed by "deep shit". :obviously: Yes, it's not entirely without merit and it beats the foul-mouthed midget but I still found the way her story was told be be kinda annoying.

Nael

Arcane
Cinders of Faith sidequest:

After accepting the quest it says that I might be able to inquire about the location of her vision in the Expedition Hall. No one there has a dialogue option for it. I looked it up and supposedly Wenan should offer to sell me a map. There is no dialogue option for that. I am a "Hero" with The Dozens so it shouldn't be a matter of bad reputation. Bug? Or am I missing something?

SoupNazi

Let's spoiler this shit.

Yes, I got that. I still don't know what the fuck a "Birthing Bell" is or why the woman would return to that thing and wait there for birthing mothers who would never come after my mind wipe turned her into a state of blissful ignorance.
Also, I didn't say it was dark, I said it was made to pander to people who are easily impressed by "deep shit". :obviously: Yes, it's not entirely without merit and it beats the foul-mouthed midget but I still found the way her story was told be be kinda annoying.
Well, it wasn't "deep" - I would argue none of PoE really is - there are some very simple comparisons that can be made to real life issues and they put a twist on them in a fantasy settings with magic and dwarves and people whose heads are on fire.

The Birthing Bells are just that - bells that announce birth. You see this in Gilded Vale, when Roedric's Hollowborn child is born - the villagers mention "three rings. please let it be the last." and then the fourth ring basically tells them that it's not a healthy child, it's a Hollowborn. The ones she speaks about specifically is some location, not sure exactly where but apparently far away from any major towns - where she used to do this and the town/village/whatever used to love her for it. She mentions that after she started doing that, and using her Cipher abilities to make the mothers care for the children and love them, a path to a lake where they used to drown children that didn't seem ok (not Hollowborn, just unhealthy) - the path actually had overgrown because thanks to her, they didn't kill children anymore. So it holds significance for her.

I didn't see the ending you mention, I told her that she was being stupid and should never have meddled with people's minds like that, so (Spoiler even for you ahead:)
she went to the town where Eder eventually becomes a mayor in, and is a birthing assistant again, but this time without the Cipher shit
I can't really judge whether the ending you saw made sense - mine seemed to well enough. Other than the fact that it ignored that I returned the souls of the Hollowborn, but that's a problem with the writing and C&C in general, not her character.

potatojohn

Arcane
That reminds me, I had two ending slides that didn't make sense together

(Roughly:)

1. Eder went back to the Gilded Vale and became a mayor and everyone was happy
2. Hylea was enraged by my betrayal and sent a plague of birds to blind everyone in Gilded Vale

Xeon

Augur
Cinders of Faith sidequest:
Yea, probably a bug but talking to him is not important to completing the quest I think, it least it wasn't for me.

South of Woodend Plains, where you met Segani

Kiste

Augur
The Birthing Bells are just that - bells that announce birth. You see this in Gilded Vale, when Roedric's Hollowborn child is born - the villagers mention "three rings. please let it be the last." and then the fourth ring basically tells them that it's not a healthy child, it's a Hollowborn. The ones she speaks about specifically is some location, not sure exactly where but apparently far away from any major towns - where she used to do this and the town/village/whatever used to love her for it. She mentions that after she started doing that, and using her Cipher abilities to make the mothers care for the children and love them, a path to a lake where they used to drown children that didn't seem ok (not Hollowborn, just unhealthy) - the path actually had overgrown because thanks to her, they didn't kill children anymore. So it holds significance for her.

I didn't see the ending you mention, I told her that she was being stupid and should never have meddled with people's minds like that, so (Spoiler even for you ahead:)
she went to the town where Eder eventually becomes a mayor in, and is a birthing assistant again, but this time without the Cipher shit
I can't really judge whether the ending you saw made sense - mine seemed to well enough. Other than the fact that it ignored that I returned the souls of the Hollowborn, but that's a problem with the writing and C&C in general, not her character.
OK, I seriously misunderstood the whole Birthing Bell thing. I understood this to be some sort of unique, mystical place or something of which the Griefing Mother was the guardian or whatever. I had the impression she was more than just an overqualified midwife with a B.A. in Cipherology. I blame it on the particularly convoluted writing for that character.

This was my ending, and I don't think it makes one lick of sense.
screenshot_3nbun0.png

SoupNazi

That reminds me, I had two ending slides that didn't make sense together

(Roughly:)

1. Eder went back to the Gilded Vale and became a mayor and everyone was happy
2. Hylea was enraged by my betrayal and sent a plague of birds to blind everyone in Gilded Vale

Are you sure he went to Gilded Vale? I think he went to a different town but just with a very similar name. I have a save just before the ending slides so I might go back to check but it was a different town wit ha very similar name. GM went to the same place to be a birth assistant again.

OK, I seriously misunderstood the whole Birthing Bell thing. I understood this to be some sort of unique, mystical place or something of which the Griefing Mother was the guardian or whatever. I had the impression she was more than just an overqualified midwife with a B.A. in Cipherology. I blame it on the particularly convoluted writing for that character.

This was my ending, and I don't think it makes one lick of sense.
screenshot_3nbun0.png
Yeah she is quite literally a midwife who is also a Cipher. There's nothing magical about it.

The reason she's written the way it is - cryptic, or convoluted as you call it - is that Watcher is the only one to see through her "Mind Trick", and he regularly enters her mind and instead of having normal conversations - I think - they basically speak telepathically. It's not very clear in the game but that was my understanding, based on the description of her memories and thoughts interwined with the dialog.

Xeon

Augur
I think Crooked Bee once quoted MCA about him wanting to make dungeon or something like that you can enter and investigate, I think it was related to GM but I am not completely sure. It was scrapped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom