Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PE Questions and Answers

SniperHF

Arcane
Random thought/Question.

Is there ever any reason not to be in fast mode + Sneak?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Random thought/Question.

The one and only time I've ever found it essential was getting to the priest bodies in the 2nd level of the Temple of Eothas in Gilded Vale, and it's simply to stall detection until you can get to the doorway.

SniperHF

Arcane
Well the main reason I ask is regarding secret objects. I was in an area in the endless paths and accidentally hit alt and found a pretty nice weapon hidden. Only found it with scouting. Seems kinda degenerate ( :smug: ) to have hidden items be more accessible in such a way that encourages you to always play in fast+scout. Makes me think they should have just separated sneaking from trap/object detection and left the latter totally passive.

Pretty much what I figured.

Question: Does the "two handed style" weapon talent increase damage also for ranged weapons?

Answer: No, but the way it is written you'd think so. Shamefur display.

Question: How does reload work? Is it one recovery action for reload or what?

hiver

About what level should you be when taking Raedric's Hold?

Should you do the destroyed chapel before Raedric's Hold or after it?

I'm having trouble with Raedric's Hold at lvl 3. Is it normal to move on to Caed Nua in the main quest without beating those places first?

I think there is no specific consequences if you stop doing any of those quests and go and do something else for a while, so you basically can choose yourself as you want.
You can do destroyed chapel any time, it doesnt affect other quests.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
Is there any reason for spellcasters to use wands/rods instead of other ranged weapons, like guns or bows?

Raggg

Novice
Random thought/Question.

You will accumulate a little more fatigue, since it takes more time to get somewhere. Other than that there's no reason besides tedium.

Raggg

Novice
Is there any reason for spellcasters to use wands/rods instead of other ranged weapons, like guns or bows?
The idea for Wizards at least is that their talent gives each implement hit a small amount of AoE damage, however the damage is so low that it will probably be reduced to 25% by DR. It's like a really shitty ranged carnage, basically.

Athelas

Arcane
Not if you take Penetrating Blast and Penetrating Shot. Free AoE damage with 10 DR bypass.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I've seen little reason for the pure caster classes to take anything but the +elemental damage and extra spell talents.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Are Fighters the only viable tank class in the game?
Paladins, I believe, can get their defenses naturally higher than Fighters without taking items into account. Monks might be able to tank and put out damage, as well.

Deleted member 7219

The 'balance' is quite frustrating. I'd expect an obsession with balance in an MMO like WoW, but not a singleplayer RPG. I'm treating this playthrough as a learning experience, playing it on Normal with my main character as a melee Chanter. For my second playthrough I'll crank the difficulty up and try experimenting a little bit more.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Are Fighters the only viable tank class in the game?
Paladins, I believe, can get their defenses naturally higher than Fighters without taking items into account. Monks might be able to tank and put out damage, as well.
Monks, paladins and tanks are the three classes that have high enough base deflection/health/endurance to tank. Fighters are probably the best for it, and I'm not so sure about monks since they don't seem to have any talents for it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Fighters are basically the baseline tank in the game with their huge array of class specific defensive talents. Paladins are more of a support tank with healing and buff auras; Chanters can work similarly but worse. Monks are built around losing a lot of hp and either killing quickly or getting healed a lot. That's not ideal for a tank. If you actually get into a battle where you need a tank (doesn't happen often right now), a Monk would not be competitive with a Fighter (especially a Fire/Moon Godlike Fighter).

Ninjerk

Arcane

Fighters are basically the baseline tank in the game with their huge array of class specific defensive talents. Paladins are more of a support tank with healing and buff auras; Chanters can work similarly but worse. Monks are built around losing a lot of hp and either killing quickly or getting healed a lot. That's not ideal for a tank. If you actually get into a battle where you need a tank (doesn't happen often right now), a Monk would not be competitive with a Fighter (especially a Fire/Moon Godlike Fighter).
I'm pretty sure you could build a monk to be a tank, and without much difficulty.

Athelas

Arcane
The question of what class is the best tank depends on what you're sacrificing. Chanters sacrifice little else since their only unique ability - chanting - happens automatically, so you could argue they're the best class for tanking. They also start out with the same base deflection as fighters, monks and paladins.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm pretty sure you could build a monk to be a tank, and without much difficulty.

You can build a wizard to be a tank too, they got plenty of defensive self buffs for it, much better self buffs than Monks get, in fact. The question is if that's a good use of the class's capabilities and whether it would be even remotely competitive with a Fighter tank.

Morkar Left

Why is the opening post
[censored by mods]
?

Do the cats/dogs you can buy have some practical purpose or are they just there for immersion fags?

Athelas

Arcane
You mean the pets? No, they don't do anything. Though I'm sure someone will release a mod that makes them loot items for you.

Then the game will truly be a single-player MMO. :happytrollboy:

Ninjerk

Arcane

You can build a wizard to be a tank too, they got plenty of defensive self buffs for it, much better self buffs than Monks get, in fact. The question is if that's a good use of the class's capabilities and whether it would be even remotely competitive with a Fighter tank.
The question I'm assuming you directed, "Monks aren't tanks" at is the Ape's question whether Fighters are the only viable tanking class?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom