Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PE Questions and Answers

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No hard counters. (except for Withdraw)

hiver

There is one spell that removes beneficial status effect of the enemies in its AoE. Havent seen anything else like it so far but im still in the first part of the game.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Why is MIGHT highly recommended for Wizards?
How is accuracy for Wizard spells (like missiles) calculated?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Might determines spell damage, but accuracy isn't dependent on any attribute at all. If you want to make a pure debuffer Wizard, it's okay to go with 3 Might.

Ziem

Arbiter
If you want to make a pure debuffer Wizard
then you probably shouldnt pick wizard in first place because other classes have better cc

(..probably shouldnt pick wizard regardless of what you want to achieve because wizard is awful)

Shannow

Waster of Time
Question: can you change your voice and appearance after character creation? I can't find the option anywhere.

(I didn't like any of the voices in character creation so I chose the Gordon Freeman option. Now I'm having second thoughts.)
You can change your colour-scheme in the inventory. But I fear voice, portrait and appearance are fixed.

Is there a way to cancel out ae spells? For example the enemy druids have this storm spell, is there a way to set a antimagic field in the area or something like this?
No anti-magic. That'd be a hard counter. Only this spell http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Arcane_Dampener that cancels buffs. (Which seems like a hard counter to me, but w/e.) I'm too lazy to check, but lighning probably attacks Reflex. Use reflex buffs and/or the chanter abilities vs shock. Move out of the AoEs.

Last edited:

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Might determines spell damage,

:what:

Ok...while stupid beyond measure, I guess it makes it easier to be a warrior-mage? I just tried it, and it seems you can cast spells even with a sword/shield equipped, or a 2H sword. You don't need to have a hand free, you just need to have the Grimoire equipped in it's slot. And wizards can wear any armor. Honestly I think wizard based gish is viable. Soften enemies at range with spells, then finish them off with 2H sword. Arcane Veil to boost deflection.

Grunker

Dragoon

Educated
I just started to play PoE and by pure chance created a character very similar to Calisca. Your first companion.
We both are Lvl 1 Female, Human, Meadow Folk, Fighter with almost identical stats. Attributes: Me(Calisca) = Mig 16 (17), Con 14, Dex 10, Per 14 (12), Int 10, Res 14 (12)

Yet when completely unarmed and unequipped our damage differs. Mine is 6-9 (crush) and hers is 1-7 (crush).

Now I wonder why? Thankful for any insights.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Ok...while stupid beyond measure, I guess it makes it easier to be a warrior-mage? I just tried it, and it seems you can cast spells even with a sword/shield equipped, or a 2H sword. You don't need to have a hand free, you just need to have the Grimoire equipped in it's slot. And wizards can wear any armor. Honestly I think wizard based gish is viable. Soften enemies at range with spells, then finish them off with 2H sword. Arcane Veil to boost deflection.

Grunker
I think their accuracy is too low to be good melee damagers, and their deflection, stamina, and hp makes them too squishy.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira

Grunker
I think their accuracy is too low to be good melee damagers, and their deflection, stamina, and hp makes them too squishy.

They can wear heavy armor to increase deflection as well as using Arcane Veil. Athletics can help with stamina. Spells like Wizard Image/Double can help with negating hp damage.

Thoughts?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I just started to play PoE and by pure chance created a character very similar to Calisca. Your first companion.
We both are Lvl 1 Female, Human, Meadow Folk, Fighter with almost identical stats. Attributes: Me(Calisca) = Mig 16 (17), Con 14, Dex 10, Per 14 (12), Int 10, Res 14 (12)

Yet when completely unarmed and unequipped our damage differs. Mine is 6-9 (crush) and hers is 1-7 (crush).

Does both have the same weapons?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Grunker

They can wear heavy armor to increase deflection as well as using Arcane Veil. Athletics can help with stamina. Spells like Wizard Image/Double can help with negating hp damage.

Thoughts?
I still doubt. But it might work, it is a *balanced* system after all.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Good catch, it looks like the PC deals much more unarmed damage than any of the story companions, but companions hired at the inn deal the same (normal) unarmed damage as the PC. It doesn't seem to be a problem since there are no story NPC monks, but it is odd.

I also notice that Calisca doesn't belong to any Culture and thus has one less ability point than anybody else. That is a problem, though only a slight one.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's probably hard-coded somewhere in character attributes, and was updated in character creation but not for existing NPCs in the game. IMO this looks a bit like lazy programming biting you in the ass...

Dragoon

Educated

Good catch, it looks like the PC deals much more unarmed damage than any of the story companions, but companions hired at the inn deal the same (normal) unarmed damage as the PC. It doesn't seem to be a problem since there are no story NPC monks, but it is odd.

I also notice that Calisca doesn't belong to any Culture and thus has one less ability point than anybody else. That is a problem, though only a slight one.

Interesting, and odd indeed. Thought I missed some formula or mechanic when reading the manual, but I guess it's just some design oversight. At least it damage only differs when unarmed.

BTW, I noticed using a 1H weapon alone with a free offhand gives a +12 accuracy bonus. Do you know if this bonus is fixed or does it scale? Seems this isn't mentioned in manual either.

Thanks in advance!

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The bonus is fixed and was adjusted last minute to buff one-handed fighters.

It's probably hard-coded somewhere in character attributes, and was updated in character creation but not for existing NPCs in the game. IMO this looks a bit like lazy programming biting you in the ass...

Yeah, probably. I reported both issues as minor bugs on the forums; maybe it will lead the devs to discover other issues with un-updated NPCs.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I have a bug where Plague of Insects was cast on my characters and it doesn't go away after combat. Their health is constantly draining unless I switch areas or rest, but it starts draining again as soon as I enter combat. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Don't let the enemy cast Plague of Insects, ever.

Occasionally it can help to dismiss and re-hire affected companions, but not always. Occasionally it can help to save and re-load, but not always.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Don't let the enemy cast Plague of Insects, ever.

Occasionally it can help to dismiss and re-hire affected companions, but not always. Occasionally it can help to save and re-load, but not always.
Thank you. Saving and loading fixed it. I also looked it up online and it turns out the problem is that currently Ogre Druids cast permanent debuffs. It looks like everyone is getting this same problem in the same place, right outside this cave in Elmshore. Try to keep away from Ogres in Elmshore for now I guess.

Shannow

Waster of Time
[

Thoughts?
Armor gives damage reduction, not deflection. It also makes attacking and casting sloooooow. Arcane Veil has two uses per rest and is on a (not very long) timer. To give you an impression: My fighter is at ~80 deflection. If Aloth (wiz companion) had Arcane Veil and used it, he could get to ~55-60 def.
Stamina != Endurance.
Stamina helps extending the time before characters get fatigued. It is not combat related. (Which in your case would be useless since you'd be resting a lot for Arcane Veil ;) )
The defensive spells again pale vs a defensive fighter's normal def. Defensive spell + Arcane Veil "might" get you over a fighter's def...for 20 seconds or so. And you'd lack HP and fighter regen.
I guess a wizard can survive shortly in melee, but he's certainly not usefull as a front-liner. At least in no build that I could think of.

I have a bug where Plague of Insects was cast on my characters and it doesn't go away after combat. Their health is constantly draining unless I switch areas or rest, but it starts draining again as soon as I enter combat. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Best try the bug thread.

ushas

Savant
Unclear Talent descriptions:
How does the Cipher's Soul Whip/Biting Whip work?

Does this helps for now?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-go-to-new-thread.93694/page-435#post-3819379
Unfortunately, besides a partial quick checking I don't have time to play the final release to confirm whether all the observations from last beta still hold.

Yeah, that's a weird one. If you look at "Soul Whip" under Abilities on your character screen, it will say "x1.2 damage, x1.2 damage" outside of combat, but "x2.4 damage" during combat. Completely nonsensical.
That's known bug. It seemed to me that only character sheet description is bugged, not actual damage.

As Ciphers are suppose to start with 15 Focus, maybe some of you may also encounter having Focus=1 after creating character or hire new cipher at lvl1. As far as I know that is easily corrected by saving and reloading game.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there any reason not to wear heavy armor as wizard?

It depends on which enemies you are facing, how reliable your positioning will be to defend your squishies. If your Wizards are safe they should of course ideally be naked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom