Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PE Questions and Answers

Shannow

Waster of Time
[censored by mods]

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
"Second Chance" makes you get right back up if you were downed in combat.

So I tried the stiletto, that "grants" Jolting Touch and it doesn't seem to do anything. Neither does it cast Jolting Touch on hit (which would have been awesome) nor does it grant me one casting per encounter (which would have been nice) or one cast per rest (which would have been shit). Giving it to Aloth also doesn't make Jolting Touch appear in his available spells. So what does it do?

How does Chanting work?
How do talents (and itemproperties) that turn grazes into hits or hits into crits work? Mechanically? I read there is a straight-up "hidden" calculation that has a chance of transforming the grazes/hits. I would have thought it more consitent if the actual hit/crit thresholds had been changed.

How do elemental enchantments like Burning Lash work? I think the game just calculates the normal damage you did and then adds the elemental damage on top. The elemental damage is not affected by DT for the element. This would mean that it's completely irrelevant which kind of element you choose since it's a flat bonus to the damage you've dealt. Probably affected by Scion-type talents. Sensuki ?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Second chance is amazing. I started a fight because noone were in the cricital zone for HP. Fighter took a pummelling and was in flashing red. Fighter got back up. Fighter took another pummelling and died.

:happytrollboy:

Most of the time it's nice. Just gotta be careful you don't accidentally An Hero yourself. (Unless your'e a koward who plays with maiming on).

Angthoron

Arcane
So I tried the stiletto, that "grants" Jolting Touch and it doesn't seem to do anything. Neither does it cast Jolting Touch on hit (which would have been awesome) nor does it grant me one casting per encounter (which would have been nice) or one cast per rest (which would have been shit). Giving it to Aloth also doesn't make Jolting Touch appear in his available spells. So what does it do?
It applies Jolting Touch to the first attack of the fight. Sucks if you missed.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Are there any permanent stat increases, aside from
the Resolve increase you get for sacrificing one of your companions at Dyrford Ruins
?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Meh, I stopped reading the Release thread because some idiots were not using spoiler tags. And now I'd have to click them to maintain this thread :negative:
Ah well, just means that this thread will have to wait till I'm finished with PE to get over 9000.

Dumbledore dies!
Who is Dumbledore?
How is he even spelled?

roshan

Arcane
How do you craft magic items, weapons and armor? On my crafting interface I only have scrolls and food.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Right-click item. Click "Enchant". Be disappointed.
Edit: Only works for weapons and armor. Don't do it while they're still in a container, as that is currently bugged.
Edit2: Actual crafting of stuff might get available with the Smithy upgrade to the stronghold. But it's irrelevant since you can buy all the common items at later stages.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How does Chanting work?

The question is really broad, but so far it looks like chant duration and chant linger are not affected by any attribute at all, although chant effects can still graze and crit.

How do talents (and itemproperties) that turn grazes into hits or hits into crits work? Mechanically? I read there is a straight-up "hidden" calculation that has a chance of transforming the grazes/hits. I would have thought it more consitent if the actual hit/crit thresholds had been changed.

I think changing the thresholds would have been much harder, since the game would have to recalculate them on the fly every time your acc or the enemy's def changes to maintain the proper percentage ratio.

Athelas

Arcane
INT only affects the AoE range of chants. I assume it was done this way because if INT affected duration of chants, high INT chanters would be arguably penalized, since they'd build up to invocations much slower.

How do elemental enchantments like Burning Lash work?
Sensuki made a video about it:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That's why linger and duration effect are split, though, so the linger can (theoretically) be boosted without penalizing the chanter.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
I'm pretty sure the Jolting Touch triggered for me in the middle of a fight, when my character connected a critical hit. Will pay attention next time.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
What they should do with chanters is that int would make linger longer but chant shorter so they would build invocations faster. I looked what kind of abilities different builds get with later levels using iemod and looks like Chanters would need most work, their earlier chants are horrible.

potatojohn

Arcane
I took biting whip on my cipher and the description says 1.2x damage, but when I look at the active effects it says 2.4x damage.

Is that a bug? It certainly doesn't feel like I'm doing 2.4x dmg.

Athelas

Arcane
What they should do with chanters is that int would make linger longer but chant shorter so they would build invocations faster. I looked what kind of abilities different builds get with later levels using iemod and looks like Chanters would need most work, their earlier chants are horrible.
Well yeah, that's the point. The lower-level chants are weaker but they're also chanted faster, so you build up to invocations faster.

I'm not sure if INT making you chant faster is such a good idea. Right now chanters are one of the most interesting spellcasters and that sounds like it would pigeonhole them. I guess you could have INT increase the linger like Bubbles suggested, but the lingers are so short that it would make only a marginal difference.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I experimented with this. It doesn't actuall apply on the first hit. It applies randomly (but usually early) on a hit but only once per encounter on the first crit in an encounter. So missing the first hit shoudn't be a huge issue. On the other hand it's not as great for alpha-striking with a rogue as one might expect.

I think changing the thresholds would have been much harder, since the game would have to recalculate them on the fly every time your acc or the enemy's def changes to maintain the proper percentage ratio.
Well, the base is: The end result of the formular: acc-def + "1-100"
<6 = Miss - No effect on the target.
6-50 = Graze - Damage and durations are halved.
51-95 = Hit - Standard damage and durations.
>95 = Crit - Damage and durations are increased by 50%

(Numbers might be slightly off):
--> 10% of hits are turned into crits ---> >91 = Crit
--> 20% Grazes are turned into hits ---> 41-95 = hit
--> together ---> 41 - 91 = hit

Given all the other percentage based numbers juggling I don't see a big issue with this. But whatever.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
I took biting whip on my cipher and the description says 1.2x damage, but when I look at the active effects it says 2.4x damage.

Is that a bug? It certainly doesn't feel like I'm doing 2.4x dmg.
Might be the doubling effects bug. Haven't played a Cipher, but doesn't he need to be close to the targets for soul whip to take effect? Have you moused over the damage rolls in the combat log? What does that say?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Well, the base is: The end result of the formular: acc-def + "1-100"
<6 = Miss - No effect on the target.
6-50 = Graze - Damage and durations are halved.
51-95 = Hit - Standard damage and durations.
>95 = Crit - Damage and durations are increased by 50%

(Numbers might be slightly off):
--> 10% of hits are turned into crits ---> >91 = Crit
--> 20% Grazes are turned into hits ---> 42-95 = hit
--> together ---> 42 - 91 = hit

Given all the other percentage based numbers juggling I don't see a big issue with this. But whatever.

You're making a mistake because you're making your calculations before you're applying the acc-def modifier, but the calculations actually come afterwards.
First of all, as far as I know the base values are:

<16 = Miss
16-50 = Graze
51-100 = Hit
>100 = Crit

if acc-def is zero, then it's as easy as you say:

"10% of hits are turned into crit" would just mean that crits start at 96 and stop at 100 (since 101 is impossible at 0 acc-def difference), so 5 points of "hit" are turned into 5 points of "crit".

But assume that def is 20 points higher than acc (easy to get on PotD difficulty). The game then rolls a die from 1-100, subtracts 20 points, and looks at the the base value table above to see if it's a hit, graze, etc. and then and only does it convert the hits to crits. That means the die roll results are as follows:

<36 (-20) = Miss
36-70 (-20) = Graze
71-100 (-20) = Hit

Now "10% of hits are turned into crit" only results in a crit range of 98-100, so only 3 points. This would constantly have to be recalculated and rounded up or down whenever the acc-difference changes. And how to you represent a 2.3% chance for an extra crit (if chance to hit is 23%) when you're only rolling a 1-100 die? It's easier to just always roll for a 10% chance to crit whenever you roll a hit.

potatojohn

Arcane
Might be the doubling effects bug. Haven't played a Cipher, but doesn't he need to be close to the targets for soul whip to take effect? Have you moused over the damage rolls in the combat log? What does that say?
Soul Whip is an effect that's active when a cipher has less than max focus.

It originally gives x1.2 damage, but you can take a lvl 2 talent Biting Whip that says "modifies soul whip: x1.2 damage"

But under active effects it now says x2.4 damage

Don't see anything special in the log

NkjNFWf.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, that's a weird one. If you look at "Soul Whip" under Abilities on your character screen, it will say "x1.2 damage, x1.2 damage" outside of combat, but "x2.4 damage" during combat. Completely nonsensical.

Shannow

Waster of Time
You're making a mistake because you're making your calculations before you're applying the acc-def modifier, but the calculations actually come afterwards.
First of all, as far as I know the base values are:

<16 = Miss
16-50 = Graze
51-100 = Hit
>100 = Crit
I took the numbers given by the manual provided by OE... :argh:
Otherwise you are right. But 2,3% can simply be rounded. And just because something is easier to do is not a convincing argument against consistency :M

Linden

Arcane
Question: can you change your voice and appearance after character creation? I can't find the option anywhere.

(I didn't like any of the voices in character creation so I chose the Gordon Freeman option. Now I'm having second thoughts.)

Cromwell

Arcane
Is there a way to cancel out ae spells? For example the enemy druids have this storm spell, is there a way to set a antimagic field in the area or something like this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom