Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Hellion

Arcane
Some clarification regarding the "real killer", GIGA-SPOILERS ahead:

While investigating the possible suspects, you essentially find that all of them have a solid motive, a possible time window for the murder, as well as a valid murder weapon (ie one old lady who hated the murder victim for good reason has a broken cane in her home, one nun who had been violently assaulted by the victim in the past has a bloody shovel in her workplace and claims it is bloody due to her killing rabbits, etc), so theoretically any one of them could be the killer.

However, what you also discover and is revealed in the end-game is that all these suspects were sent letters by a mysterious figure (named the "Thread-Puller" by the protagonist) who wanted the victims dead for a grander reason and thus made others commit the murders by telling all suspects that "you should kill this guy because he ruined your life".

So I guess this means that, even though the real abettor and mastermind of the whole scheme is revealed in the end, pretty much every suspect you choose to be the perpetrator might tehcnically be the correct choice if you investigate it properly enough.

It should also be stated that you have a certain amount of time to conduct your investigations so you can't investigate all suspects in a single playthrough, you pretty much select the 1 or 2 you want to focus on and pursue their leads.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's just a recent trend of subverting one's expectations regarding specific genre tropes. Knives Out did a similar thing (it was directed by the same person who did Star Wars TLJ).

Nooo, you can't have a straightforward whodunit story, there must be some quirk or subversion!
What was so subversive about Knives Out? The twists were typical of the genre. It went a bit overboard with misleading the viewer, but it's hardly the only murder mystery to do that.

jackofshadows

Magister
So I guess this means that, even though the real abettor and mastermind of the whole scheme is revealed in the end, pretty much every suspect you choose to be the perpetrator might tehcnically be the correct choice if you investigate it properly enough.
But I'd thought the mastermind is the killer, no? Turns out the killer is someone among the initial suspects but you cannot actually learn that for sure?

Hellion

Arcane
But I'd thought the mastermind is the killer, no? Turns out the killer is someone among the initial suspects but you cannot actually learn that for sure?

I initially understood that the Mastermind is the actual killer (as in, grabbed the murder weapon and did the actual deed, then framed someone else). But I've been rewatching the endgame sequence and it turns out that the Mastermind wants the victim dead and essentially convinces every suspect separately that they must kill the victim.

We don't get a definite confession (far from it, they all claim they are innocent until the very end) or a glaring clue that says "out of the 5 suspects, THIS is the REAL killer". But whomever you end up selecting as the culprit based on your investigations and deductions is the "real killer" as far as the story is concerned, so every choice is technically the right one.

And, of course, at no point during the game do we have an actual choice to investigate or accuse someone of being the Thread-Puller, until we reach the endgame.

During the game's acts there are 2 murders and 1 murder attempt total. Murders one and two are instigated by the Mastermind and carried out by the suspect we select. The murder attempt is carried out by the Mastermind, but there are no suspects in this case and we eventually find out the resolution during the endgame sequence.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I initially understood that the Mastermind is the actual killer (as in, grabbed the murder weapon and did the actual deed, then framed someone else). But I've been rewatching the endgame sequence and it turns out that the Mastermind wants the victim dead and essentially convinces every suspect separately that they must kill the victim.

We don't get a definite confession (far from it, they all claim they are innocent until the very end) or a glaring clue that says "out of the 5 suspects, THIS is the REAL killer". But whomever you end up selecting as the culprit based on your investigations and deductions is the "real killer" as far as the story is concerned, so every choice is technically the right one.

And, of course, at no point during the game do we have an actual choice to investigate or accuse someone of being the Thread-Puller, until we reach the endgame.

During the game's acts there are 2 murders and 1 murder attempt total. Murders one and two are instigated by the Mastermind and carried out by the suspect we select. The murder attempt is carried out by the Mastermind, but there are no suspects in this case and we eventually find out the resolution during the endgame sequence.
Sawyer taking balancing to ridiculous extremes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another Josh interview:

Mike and Gary are joined by Obsidian's Josh Sawyer to talk about their newly released Pentiment, history, and the Fallout franchise!

Time Stamps -
00:00:00 - Start
00:01:00 - Josh Sawyer Is here!
00:03:30 - Housekeeping
00:05:30 - Josh Sawyer on Pentiment
00:33:09 - Ads
00:36:15 - The First Announcement & Finding Success
00:43:16 - The RPG Elements
00:52:52 - Josh’s Future & Viewer Questions!

ferratilis

Magister
This guy gets paid 250k a year to make an indie game. If I were an actual indie developer, I'd be pissed. Especially when you consider that his income is higher than the entire budget of the game. And that he'll probably get a fat bonus at the end of the year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They probably spent more greasing palms than they did on the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Makes sense, this is basically the Schindler's list of video games. Is it possible to make a game that appeals more to game journalists?
No gameplay, nothing you do matters, shits on religion, subverts European history, and has a stupid twist.

Saduj

Arcane
I tried watching the section of the video regarding "RPG elements" but gave up because it seemed like they were just going to circle jerk over the "RPG elements" without providing much specific information. From what I was able to watch, this is what I gathered: You pick a background. The game somewhat plays out differently based on player choices. And there are no stats.

Anyone know the specifics? Does the background consist of choosing one general template or is it a series of choices?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmmm.jpg

Leonard

Educated
I tried watching the section of the video regarding "RPG elements" but gave up because it seemed like they were just going to circle jerk over the "RPG elements" without providing much specific information. From what I was able to watch, this is what I gathered: You pick a background. The game somewhat plays out differently based on player choices. And there are no stats.

Anyone know the specifics? Does the background consist of choosing one general template or is it a series of choices?
You get to pick one background trait representing your main interest (Hedonist, Craftsman, Bookworm, Rapscallion or Business), one region that you studied in (Switzerland, Low Countries or Italy, mostly affects which languages you know) and two areas of study (out of Latinist, Logician, Orator, Occultist and Heavens and Earth) and what you studied in university (either law, medicine or theology). Their impact is pretty minimal, comparable to your background impact in the first Pillars of Eternity. Usually you get some foreign text translated, some extra flavor dialogue, maybe a hint for a (pretty easy) puzzle (there are about 5 puzzles total in the game). I'd say there's almost no reason to replay the game to pick different choices, even the rare cases when I did get to use my traits felt disappointing. For example, I picked medicine as my university area of study and there was a total of one satisfying check for it in the whole game.

Shin

Cipher
Makes sense, this is basically the Schindler's list of video games. Is it possible to make a game that appeals more to game journalists?
No gameplay, nothing you do matters, shits on religion, subverts European history, and has a stupid twist.
Narrative driven, short games in which you can't miss (much) content is basically a reviewers wet dream.

ferratilis

Magister
Played it for a few hours, seen what's it all about, uninstalled. I'm sure there's an audience for this out there, history and literature graduates mostly (of the left leaning variety). But I'm not the type. This isn't even an adventure game, it's all about the dialogues and selecting some background-flavored text every once in a while, that's it. You're moving your character along a predetermined line on a static background and clicking on interactable things. It's not a point and click game, it's literally a visual novel. At least Disco Elysium had a great atmosphere set in an interesting world you want to learn more about. But this game claims to be historically accurate, while at the same time forcing modern humor down your throat and poking fun at its source material. It simply doesn't have enough to keep me interested until the end. And knowing Josh, he'll sweep the rug under my feet at a critical moment.

The sad part is that, now that Josh had a taste of warm critical reception for something other than an RPG, he might continue down this path and stick to non-games for the rest of his career. Why work hard when you can make Game Pass fodder and be paid the same? The thought we might never see PoE3 directed by him saddens me, but it was bound to happen once MS took Obsidian over.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
pillows 3, really.. I just wanted a simple 2d-take based off the darklands base he wouldn’t shut the fuck up about in the past, is that really too much to ask.. and this is what he made

Kerghnox

Novice
So wait, there's no canon killer? Ferenc seemed to be the killer, but is that only because I focused on investigating him? I'm assuming the time system is literally only there to hide this bullshit.

Leonard

Educated
So wait, there's no canon killer? Ferenc seemed to be the killer, but is that only because I focused on investigating him? I'm assuming the time system is literally only there to hide this bullshit.
Yep, there's enough motive/opportunity/means for every suspect, but you won't find this out unless you fully investigate everyone (which needs multiple playthroughs). The game disguises this pretty cleverly in the first third (so until the end of Baron murder arc), but once I realized that, it just killed all the interest in engaging in mysteries for the rest of the game. If the dev doesn't care about the result, why should you?

Kerghnox

Novice
Yep, there's enough motive/opportunity/means for every suspect, but you won't find this out unless you fully investigate everyone (which needs multiple playthroughs). The game disguises this pretty cleverly in the first third (so until the end of Baron murder arc), but once I realized that, it just killed all the interest in engaging in mysteries for the rest of the game. If the dev doesn't care about the result, why should you?
Wow, what the FUCK was Sawyer thinking? Glad I pirated this piece of shit, I was willing to stomach the constant crying about poor medieval women if the murder mystery was good enough. Even the Baron's fucking wife had to bring it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom