Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Permanent Death?

Alex

Arcane
Hello everyone!

I've never been much of an MMO person, but I was always curious about Ultima Online back then. Unfortunately, games seem to have drifted away pretty far from what that was. Still, I was wondering, are there, or at least, were there any sandbox MMOs with permanent player death. That is, once your character died, you would need to make another?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Permanent death in a game relying on PKs, lags and sudden disconnections sounds like a pretty bad idea.

SoupNazi

Doesn't EVE technically have permadeath if you get podded?

DayZ has permadeath but that's hardly an MMO, let alone an MMORPG.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hello everyone!

I've never been much of an MMO person, but I was always curious about Ultima Online back then. Unfortunately, games seem to have drifted away pretty far from what that was. Still, I was wondering, are there, or at least, were there any sandbox MMOs with permanent player death. That is, once your character died, you would need to make another?

Permanent death in a game relying on PKs, lags and sudden disconnections sounds like a pretty bad idea.

The butt hurt would be bad enough when the player's hardware was responsbible, but there would be a massacere whenever server problems caused mass disconnections.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know if it ever got released, but I think that Mortal Online was supposed to have that, as did that other one based out of Greece(?) that was supposed to be a horrible piece of shit, don't remember the name at the moment. I think it was Darkfall.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It didn't have permanent death, only all loot drop on death.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Darkfall Online had online had full loot. That's about as close as you're going to get. I find MO to be far more shit than Darkfall. Mortal Online is like a bad Runescape clone

Some MUDs have perma-death, and at least one of them has dozens + online at a time. You should be able to search for permadeath over at mudconnector.com

Norfleet

Are you sure? Being a bandit in UO doesn't sound like it generates all that much profit at all. I mean, I've never heard of anyone running a bank in UO. Remember that guy in EVE who decided to run a bank, and one day, just ran off with the money? Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haven & Hearth
http://www.havenandhearth.com/

Example

Every death, 500-1000 hours of grinding.

t7la50.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd say Haven & Hearth is a very good example of what you need to make permadeath work:

First, you need to permanently kill all grind from the game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah dude, remember which subforum you're in.

burn this place to the ground

St. Toxic

Arcane
Are you sure? Being a bandit in UO doesn't sound like it generates all that much profit at all. I mean, I've never heard of anyone running a bank in UO.

PK/Chaos guilds often had fat pockets which technically would allow for banking, but banking would be more of an rp-activity than a reliable way of profiting. Still, pking made tons of profit.

J1M

Arcane
I think the closest you will get is something like that new game, Rust.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom