Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 4 Golden - out on Steam

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah the only one I haven't re-visited is the video game one. I highly doubt I'll get enough exp from that tho. We'll see.

cruel

Cipher
Look for Golden Hand enemies - they give a ton of XP. Plus, check if your equipment is updated.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Red Hexapus

Learned
For those of you who played the game and don't mind spoilers - decent collection of funny moments taken from Persona 4 anime (everything based on the game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpdP6_Xq7I4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56X4av_mOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TImiQBxhz6Y

King's game from the second movie is probably the best.

Hiimdaisy Comic Dub is the best way to appreciate P4. Obviously is it highly spoilerific, so I should recommend it only after finishing the game.

Sentinel

Arcane
I killed the 2nd boss in the videogame dungeon and went back to the laboratory. The enemies that were one shotting me just stopped spawning. I'm 4 floors in and haven't seen them.
Oh well.

Sentinel

Arcane
What level is the final boss supposed to be? I'm in the Golden dungeon involving
Marie
and I'm only level 74. I wanted to fuse Satan and Metatron but he's level 93. This dungeon isn't exactly a challenge either. Do levels carry over into NG+?

ArisatoSeldom

Novice
Do levels carry over into NG+?
On ng+ you only carry over only social stats, compendium and money (if they haven't changed that from the Vita version). So make sure to sell all junk and jem's.

Marie dungeon should be something between 70 and 80, so taking the average final boss is 75-77.
It's been a long time, so I don't remember for sure, but if you are playing on normal there is no heavy grind required. Just use up to date equipment and quality personas.
Or just level up solo on sky rocket speed if you need, use Raphael or Michael or Uriel personas and nuke the game with companions as shield dummies and support.
On ng+ you'll get izanagi+, which is op, but it's 90+ level persona.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah I finished the game on high 70s. Pretty disappointing.

The game could and should have been cut down to 20 hours and nothing would have changed. The dungeons are frankly terrible and repeat too often. The characters aren't fun. 90% of the social events are complete filler that don't advance characters or plot. The killer/antagonist had no motivation to speak of. The real final boss is generic jRPG shit (they had to shoehorn god in there somehow). The personas/demons are all interchangeable, they have no unique characteristics until the high levels (70+) where they start getting unique abilities. Igor & Margaret are non characters. Marie and Naoto are horrible characters - Marie with her cringe poems and manner of speech and Naoto with the "ok so before we go on let's recap in case the player is a retard that missed the last 10 hours of story, oh by the way I also like to act like I am super smart for figuring all of this out".

Nanako was the only character I enjoyed spending time with and the only time this game's writing had a chance to engage me with something they immediately backpedal out of a sad situation cause consequences aren't allowed in this game. Everything has to have a happy ending.

I saw so much praise for this I expected better frankly. It started out quite interesting too but derailed very quickly. People like to say that Dragon Quest 11 is the most generic jRPG ever made, but I'm pretty sure it's Persona 4.

From the little I've played of 3 and 5 (5 hours in 3 and 20 in 5) I have the sneaky suspicion that 4 is the worst out of the modern personas.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
We most be polar opposites because I love the characters in P4. Marie was the one I romanced on my golden play through but I have to admit it was hard to not go with best girl Rise again. I just like Marie's cute punk look and I may have a suppressed love of tsunderes. I agree that her poems were shit but that's only in the English version. They aren't as bad in Japanese. I thought the final boss was OK too. I mean its SMT so of course you're going to fight (a) god at the end. Randomly generated dungeons do suck though

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Yeah I finished the game on high 70s. Pretty disappointing.

The game could and should have been cut down to 20 hours and nothing would have changed. The dungeons are frankly terrible and repeat too often. The characters aren't fun. 90% of the social events are complete filler that don't advance characters or plot. The killer/antagonist had no motivation to speak of. The real final boss is generic jRPG shit (they had to shoehorn god in there somehow). The personas/demons are all interchangeable, they have no unique characteristics until the high levels (70+) where they start getting unique abilities. Igor & Margaret are non characters. Marie and Naoto are horrible characters - Marie with her cringe poems and manner of speech and Naoto with the "ok so before we go on let's recap in case the player is a retard that missed the last 10 hours of story, oh by the way I also like to act like I am super smart for figuring all of this out".

Nanako was the only character I enjoyed spending time with and the only time this game's writing had a chance to engage me with something they immediately backpedal out of a sad situation cause consequences aren't allowed in this game. Everything has to have a happy ending.

I saw so much praise for this I expected better frankly. It started out quite interesting too but derailed very quickly. People like to say that Dragon Quest 11 is the most generic jRPG ever made, but I'm pretty sure it's Persona 4.

From the little I've played of 3 and 5 (5 hours in 3 and 20 in 5) I have the sneaky suspicion that 4 is the worst out of the modern personas.
Which one is less shit, P4 or P5 ?

Silva

Arcane
Which one is less shit, P4 or P5 ?

Persona 5 is the least shit of P3-P5.
I've played halfway through P3 and found it the best premise and atmosphere, but that Tartarus dungeon got too repetitive and I simpky lost interest.

Tried to play P4 years ago on PS2 but couldn't finish the tutorial. Found the aesthetics too infantile and dialogue grating and boring.

Finished P5. I like it but wouldn't give it a score past 8/10 max, and that's being benevolent. It's very good in parts (presentation, premise, combat on Hard, confidants system, story until Yusuke) but very very poor in others (cringey repetitive and expositive dialogue that treats player like a moron, Morgana is the most obnoxious companion ever, story after first couple palaces, horrendous endgame).

Nocturne was the last one I tried and frankly, found it the best one by the mere fact it keeps things simple and to the point, never pretending to be something more than a fun romp through a (very) cool setting. Even when it dabs in philosophy it keeps things simple and/or vague. It's slim scope and simplicity feels like a breath of fresh air coming from P5.

I'm more and more inclined to think this series is all hype and little substance, and that Nocturne was lightning in a bottle (is this the saying? When some great feat is achieved but probably will never be repeated?).

Jinn

Arcane
I'm more and more inclined to think this series is all hype and little substance, and that Nocturne was lightning in a bottle (is this the saying? When some great feat is achieved but probably will never be repeated?).

Well, Persona is technically a different series than that which Nocturne belongs to, which is Shin Megami Tensei. Persona is a spin-off series from SMT. Most fans of Shin Megami Tensei are the first to point out the shortcomings and overall departure from quality gameplay that the Persona series after Persona 2 is. So considering the majority of the games in your list there are Persona post P2, I would agree with your statement. However, Shin Megami Tensei has quality games throughout, except maybe Shin Megami Tensei 4, which I hear is decline, but I've never played myself.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am close to the end of the game atm (or at least I believe so, hard to tell with them JRPGs).

It has been a while since retarded jrpg school life managed to make me laugh, but this one pulled it off somehow. I quickly realised that mystary parts of the game are decorations for all the characters you spend time together with. Even the starting ones and most banal ones seem to be written from at least competent to bro to Bro+ tier.

In no particular ratio I can point out
- Dojima, who always seem to walk a line between friend/parent but is still an adult and makes decisions which are understandable
- The Loli whos lawful goodness shines so bright it is almost painful for your eyesight
- the "best" waifu who can't cook for shit, gets drunk from nothing and occasionaly goes into hysterical laughter
- almost everything in the story when Kanji is around (also probably would make SJWs faint)
- the fucking primadonna, whos relationship with you begins from you serving as her shopping slave :lol:

Probably the only char that I dislike is Naoto, cause I don't need a special char to explain whole group the whole thing for them; the idea is we, the dumb teenagers think about things, thanks.

Extra point for all dialogue changing depending on stage of the game ie if you begin character arks sooner or later in game.

The murder story is, hmm, it just serves what is above, so it's not really a detective game of any kind, although it does allow you to make some wrong choices in story and character stories methinks.

The stand system is interesting, but because you're underleveled for the most of the game, serves little purpose on 1st playthrough or at least that's how I feel.

Like with many JRPGs, the combat fundamentals and presentation are quite solid, but are completely ruined by "now repeat this 100000000 times" in dungeons, which, story and visual design are nice, but gameplay wise are degenerate trash. Although I did appreciate rotating parts in Gamer dungeon - Wizardry does live on in Japanese hearts :shittydog: oh and Draw cards is also nice.
The bosses in the beginning felt interesting, but later it felt like they just kinda ignore all the shit, and leveling up Idol girl just removes all the mystery from vulnerability system completely.

Also everything about this game is so... chill. It is really best enjoyed during fall with laid back attitude and tea.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am close to the end of the game atm
^silly fool.

Ok finished game, final finale of finale of final was jrpg protagonist saying jrpg banality and winning through power of friendship; game should have ended on non final final boss of final.

But ski trip scenes were still worth it.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Ok finished game, final finale of finale of final was jrpg protagonist saying jrpg banality and winning through power of friendship; game should have ended on non final final boss of final.

I found this part awful. The plot was already concluded,dungeon was terrible (no graphic identity, neither music) and fight scripted and uninteresting.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The plot wasn't really concluded technically, and there are direct hints on it here and there (more. link. grinding.), but narrative of the whole thing is too weak to support any kind of play between any mysterious powers, could have kept mystery the mystery and be done with it.

The fight, indeed, was blergh. And whole thing moved the game on the axis of "a bit unique" to "under all the style and packaging with ribbons, still a banal traditional JRPG".

Sarathiour

Cipher
there are direct hints on it here and there (more. link. grinding.)
I might have missed it, i had very few S link maxed, because i understood very late that you had to posses corresponding personna each time, and fucked up most of the lunch and answer ( did'nt want to use a walkthrough). Still think that this only serve as some kinf of final "gotcha" to hide trueesterest ending behind bullshit and uninteresting opponent.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, there are 2 which are important - one is Marie, a character I began to hate already on her second poem; and another is, well, you probably know by now. The second link forks into two different pathways, and either changes or you can go Evil path in the game.

That is all super cool, but the problem is that you have no real reason to become Evil. You have nothing in common with antagonist. Maybe if you were some depressed, unloved guy who only antagonist understands it could have been massively cool, but you are beloved Sempai so it all doesn't make sense anyway.

I appreciate developers effort for all the extra content and branching you get though.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Ha, I played the pcsx2 version, they only add it as a S link on golden version.

So i checked the special ending. Well , I guess megami tensei had to have an edgelord ending.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
There's already much I love u Sempai in base game you want to die from overdose?

I picked Chie, so at least most of it was delivered closer to end game, but I still feel girls in this one are too easy it's boring. Imo the most realistic one is Ai, and I like game's twisted logic in the choices you make there.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
There's already much I love u Sempai in base game you want to die from overdose?

I picked Chie, so at least most of it was delivered closer to end game, but I still feel girls in this one are too easy it's boring. Imo the most realistic one is Ai, and I like game's twisted logic in the choices you make there.
Ai is best girl for a reason.

turkishronin

Arcane

based and chiepilled

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom