Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 4 Golden - out on Steam

Duraframe300

Arcane
But I didn't expect the giant space flea out of nowhere of the true final boss but I don't think anybody does. Is it even foreshadowed?

I just finished the game with the "True" ending. When you reference the "space flea" do you mean Ameno-sagiri or do you mean Izanami?

Ameno-sagiri for sure was not foreshadowed in any real sense, but if you were to pay attention in class, they tell you the story of Izanami and Izanagi. If you were paying attention at the beginning of the game, you would remember that your first Persona was called Izanagi. It may not be the best foreshadowing of all time, but they kept hinting at the fact that someone else was conducting it. I remember trying to follow up with the gas station attendant early in the game about the part time job.

I go one step further and say it was a pretty fucking obvious foreshadowing. I mean you can't be more obvious than having Izanagi as the main persona.
You still have to know the mythos associated of course, but chances are if you are into Megaten you do, especially if you're japanese (the original market).
And as you pointed out its specifically mentioned in the game.

So yeah, I don't get why people would be surprised. This is nowhere near Final Fantasy level fuckery.

Fun fact btw: Izanagi and Izanami are the protagonists of the very first Megaten (Well, their reincarnations).

Derringer

Prophet
Fun fact btw: Izanagi and Izanami are the protagonists of the very first Megaten (Well, their reincarnations).
Well yeah, Megami Tensei is a licensed video game series based off a shinto-oriented fantasy light novel for young adults, Shin Megami Tensei is essentially a spinoff from that, like everything else past Megami Tensei 2.

wue52j5u10z61.jpg

Smigle

Literate
So, I'm pretty sure I don't have to play P4 before P5, but wanted to ask nonetheless. Maybe P5 includes some easter eggs about previous Persona games? I started playing P4, but I'm kinda stuck on it. Thinking if I should just skip it or play later.

680x0

Learned
So, I'm pretty sure I don't have to play P4 before P5, but wanted to ask nonetheless. Maybe P5 includes some easter eggs about previous Persona games? I started playing P4, but I'm kinda stuck on it. Thinking if I should just skip it or play later.

Nope, you can play them in any order. There are some minor references you won't get and not much else. They have basically been recapitulating the same game since 3 so just pick the one that clicks with you.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I would say the revelations at the end of P5 have more impact if you at least have played P4.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
5 is already playable on pc. Fatlus is not so dumb to release it.

Puukko

Arcane
I want 5 on PC. Not to play it (I already did, and it wasn't worth it) but the Switch port beggers are so consumed by it that the butthurt would be glorious.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I want 5 on PC. Not to play it (I already did, and it wasn't worth it) but the Switch port beggers are so consumed by it that the butthurt would be glorious.
Why settle for switch only?
If i was Atlus i would release a P5 ultimate edition as a mobile exclusive to maximize butt hurt.
Console fans are butthurt,pc fans are butthurt and have to run trojan bullshit emus and mobile fans don't give a fuck but will buy it anyway.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Bros, I finally got around to playing this one after buying it way back in summer 2020 shortly after it came out (my Steam backlog is fucking huge). My only prior experience with Persona/SMT games was playing P5 around the time of its initial release.

I absolutely adore this game. The story and characters are way more appealing to me than P5. My biggest gripe is the shitty randomly generated dungeons, and I’ve still plowed through most of them pretty quickly thus far. The most irritating thing is clearing a floor of a dungeon and then backtracking to get a treasure chest, getting randomly one-shotted by an enemy and having to redo the entire floor. I took the easy way out of enabling “retry battles” in the options rather than grinding for hours in the hopes that I make the party immune to the one-shot bullshit. It totally trivializes the combat, but I didn’t feel like wasting time redoing stuff because the RNG gods didn’t favor me. I’m like 36 hours in so far and it’s such a comfy and addicting experience.

Puukko

Arcane
P4AU is getting a PC release and it seems to be causing the usual butthurt waves. Atlus could release literally anything on PC and some tards on Twitter would go nuclear.

Duraframe300

Arcane
P4AU is getting a PC release and it seems to be causing the usual butthurt waves. Atlus could release literally anything on PC and some tards on Twitter would go nuclear.

I’m surprised at the extent of it. I played the game years back and thought it was pretty fun and from what I heard well recieved.

If you look at the reactions you’d think it was the worst game ever.

Puukko

Arcane

I’m surprised at the extent of it. I played the game years back and thought it was pretty fun and from what I heard well recieved.

If you look at the reactions you’d think it was the worst game ever.
What they don't seem to understand is Atlus is testing the waters by porting older games/games from less popular systems, making those games more readily available, even if fewer people care about AU than 4, which was a fairly big reveal since the definitive version was on the Vita previously. And well, the AU port is based on the updated arcade version, so it's cool to have the definitive version of that game as well. I don't personally care for Nusona but I know they will release something along the line that piques my interest. Getting any Persona titles on PC at all was likely the result of much hand wrangling on Sega's part.

Instead of a Final Fantasy post I'm gonna make a Persona post since I'm around a dozen hours in and it's not completely terrible.

Started playing Persona 4 due to what amounts to shittalking with a bro on Steam. He was always more of a fan of JRPGs and I hated Japan and everything Japan ever touched, and even he thought Persona was too fucking weeby and it got on his tits. Words were exchanged and I said I'd give it a try after falling off the deep end and having a lot of fun playing Final Fantasy and even enjoying some dumb shit like Danganronpa recently. First "Real" dungeon now complete and I sorta dig it.

The story feels like a mixed bag, I was with it a little more when it was on rails earlier on and then nearly dropped the game once it opened up and wanted me to go do highschooler shit since I couldn't give a less of a damn about that, buuuuuuuuuut all the weird and needlessly obtuse and mechanics started to pull me back in. The card system for post-battle loot is damn cool for example, and the persona fusing thing nearly made my eyes glaze over until I thought "Ah fuck it I'll just craft shit that looks cool and/or has elemental attacks I want" and that's been effective. The economy, at least this early on, is reasonably tight so ever scrap of money I pick up dungeoneering and selling used panties is useful for consumables and even trying to keep the party up to date on equipment. Even the highschooler shit that I don't care about adds to the flow of the game since you get a nice sense of dungeon crawling, relaxing in town, dungeon crawl, relax, etc which is something a lot of RPGs struggle to present well. It even has non-combat stats/skills that can lock off quests and impact your performance in jobs and shit.
The combat's... Interesting. It can be a little swingy with the "Weakness" system giving extra turns, and bosses seem way fucking stronger than regular mooks leading up to the bosses (That first real dungeon boss took me a few attempts even after my first TPK and rejiggering my dude to play off weaknesses more) which is a little odd. Progressing in a dungeon seems easy enough and then you get to the boss and go grind the previous floor a bit, I guess.

All in all I'll probably keep playing it which both surprised me and my buddy, but I haven't really played another RPG like this so I guess the uniqueness is appealing. He did warn me that he really ended up hating it later when he was alternating between dungeon grinding and social grinding non-stop and apparently the later bosses are an even larger jump in difficulty than this one was for their respective dungeons, but I dunno. It managed to disrupt my Final Fantasy play and even though I like FF more widely than Persona 4 I find myself wanting to play Persona 4 just because I want to see what the fuck it does next. See if I can chain a bunch of shuffle-times together for loot, see if I can rub some monsters together to make a cool new one, see if I can raise courage enough to see what the fuck is in the shrine at night, and so on. The supernatural mystery part is better than the highschool shit but it's still getting put behind the gameplay. Also THE FUCKING TIMER, I always love a ticking clock in a game and having finite time to complete objectives is great. Love all the timed shit in Kingmaker, love timed shit in Fallout 1 even though it's so generous it may as well not even be timed, love the harsh timers in Xcom 2, love having a deadline in this.

D43AAEA552658CF3BF13319AB936237B0B463AE3

PS: I swear it seems like 90% of the school is gay. Went and joined the basketball club and then the split second after I did it looked like I was going to be spitroasting a basketball twink with some soccer player. I don't think it's a Japanese cultural thing since the other Japanese games I've played haven't been like that, but maybe the Persona series is.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
PS: I swear it seems like 90% of the school is gay. Went and joined the basketball club and then the split second after I did it looked like I was going to be spitroasting a basketball twink with some soccer player. I don't think it's a Japanese cultural thing since the other Japanese games I've played haven't been like that, but maybe the Persona series is.
I never got that vibe at all. I think you have an inner fudanshi that's rising to the surface

dacencora

I never got that vibe at all. I think you have an inner fudanshi that's rising to the surface
I agree. Most of the characters are bros in P4. There are two that are pretty annoying
Teddie and Marie
but otherwise it’s a pretty solid cast.

cruel

Cipher
Teddie is great. Much better than this annoying cat in P5.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom