Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Peter Molyneux teases new game that is doing things that have never been seen before

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
https://www.eurogamer.net/peter-mol...h-idea-thats-never-been-seen-in-a-game-before

Peter Molyneux teases new project with idea that's "never been seen in a game" before​

"I'm so tempted just to tell you..."

Peter Molyneux.

Legendary game developer - and game development tease - Peter Molyneux has discussed his next project, and talked up its gameplay as featuring a mechanic that's never been seen before.

Speaking to GameReactor at the recent Gamelab conference in Barcelona, Molyneux was reluctant to give many firm details of the game or this idea to avoid - in his words - people subsequently getting "very annoyed and angry" when their expectations of Molyneux's words are met with reality.
"In days gone by, I would just start telling you about the whole game and the whole game design and why it was going to be the most brilliant game in the world," Molyneux said. "I'm not going to do that."

poster

Peter Molyneux, inside his Curiosity cube.
What Molyneux did say, however, was that this all-new mechanic would be part of a more "familiar" environment that was "more like a kind of Fable, Black and White, Dungeon Keeper kind of experience".
This description appears to relate to the fact this project is planned first for PC and consoles, rather than other titles at Molyneux's 22Cans development studio that were designed around smartphones.
Indeed, should this project materialise as planned, it will mark Molyneux's first project released on consoles in over a decade - since on-rails Kinect game Fable: The Journey, back at Lionhead Studios in 2012.
"We're definitely leading on PC and console, mainly because we need the power," Molyneux confirmed.
"This game is the first game really I've coded - or been a coder on - since Black and White," he continued. "So it makes it very special for me. It has been evolving and we've been exploring ideas about it for almost five years now. So it's very, very close to my heart."
It's unclear if this project has evolved from Legacy, the project Molyneux announced back in 2019 and later said would involve the blockchain. It was originally planned as a workshop-tinkering industrialist sim, inspired by Molyneux's first-ever game The Entrepreneur.
Since leaving Fable maker Lionhead behind in 2012, Molyneux's game release track record is a decidedly mixed bag. His experimental mobile app Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? found huge success, though controversy reigned over his promise of a life-changing prize for one lucky player.
Next up was controversial god sim Godus, which launched in early access back in September 2013 and remains in early access a decade on. The Trail: Frontier Challenge followed in August 2017, published by Kongregate.
Word of what's next for Molyneux and 22Cans has been quiet, ever since the studio announced layoffs but said it would struggle on with game development, back in December 2021.
But now we know: Molyneux's back coding a new game.
"Every part of me wants to tell you everything about it," he concluded. "But, you know, that would be silly."

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://www.eurogamer.net/peter-mol...h-idea-thats-never-been-seen-in-a-game-before

"This game is the first game really I've coded - or been a coder on - since Black and White," he continued. "So it makes it very special for me. It has been evolving and we've been exploring ideas about it for almost five years now. So it's very, very close to my heart."​

Motherfucker can't stop lying. He said this exact same thing during the release of Godus Wars. He pointed out the flying thingies in the border of the menu screen where coded by him. Small detail, but it shows how this scumbag is a real pathological liar

Fargus

Arcane
Oh wow, look what crawled out of the shitter. It's Pidor Moulinex, a has-been and snake oil salesman. And his garbage studio with two abandoned early accesses in a row on steam.

Ladonna

Arcane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Molyneux

Peter Molyneux began his career in 1982 by distributing and selling floppy disks which contained video games for Atari and the Commodore 64. He believed that including games on the disks would improve sales, and later concluded that the games were the main selling point.[2]

He created The Entrepreneur, a text-based business simulation game about running a fledgling company.[3] "In those days you could literally call a game 'Space Blob Attacks Mars' and sell about 50 million copies. So what did I do? I did a business simulation", Molyneux later said.[2] Molyneux published the game himself in 1984 by duplicating hundreds of tapes on two Tandy Corporation recorders. After taking an advertising space in a game magazine, he prepared for the game's success; he later stated in an interview, "I was utterly convinced that this game would sell tons. I thought, 'You know, this letter box is just not big enough. It's just not going to fit all the envelopes.' So I cut – and this is no joke – I cut a bigger letter box". However, the game received only two orders, one of which Molyneux speculated was from his mother.[2] In 2007, a GameSpy reviewer commented that the economic gameplay mechanics in Molyneux's Fable II may have been a descendant of The Entrepreneur, stating, "I'm a little concerned that it's Molyneux sneaking in a remix of his first game, Entrepreneur".[4]

Due to the game's failure, Molyneux retreated from game design, and started Taurus Impex Limited—a company that exported baked beans to the Middle East—with his business partner Les Edgar.[5][6] Commodore International mistook it for Torus, a more established company that produced networking software, and offered to provide Molyneux with ten[5] free Amiga systems to help in porting "his" networking software.[2][7] Molyneux later said "it suddenly dawned on me that this guy didn't know who we were. I suddenly had this crisis of conscience. I thought, 'If this guy finds out, there go my free computers down the drain.' So I just shook his hand and ran out of that office."[2] Taurus designed a database system for the Amiga called Acquisition – The Ultimate Database for The Amiga[5] and, after clearing up the misunderstanding with Commodore, released the program to moderate success.

It was meant to be.

iu

Ryzer

Arcane
Laugh at Peter but he created some unique concepts to this day still unmatched: Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper, Populous, and many others.
Without him, so many hit wouldn't have appeared.

Fargus

Arcane
Pablo Molyna and Bullfrog\Lionhead made some memorable games in their time it's undeniable. Personally i enjoy Black and White, The Movies and Fable 1 for what they are. But he should have retired instead of turning has-been and kickstarter scammer. Him wanting to be back in action a decade later is just fucking sad.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It will be the ultimate God Game featuring real-time procedurally-generated universes (coming to VR/AR gadgets only).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Can't help but look forward to the next batch of lies and deceits. Maybe there will be more seething by Mike Diskett over on twitter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom