Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Phantasy Star Online 2

Why not?

• I'm not gay enough

• It's too popamole

• Anime is for pedos

• I secretly play it when the Codex isn't looking

• I prefer ESO (kc)

• I'm too retarded

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sykar

Arcane
Well the only MMO that I play on occasion these days is CoH on Homecoming so I like to check out something new once in a while.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you play a CAST, right.
I main deuman cuz I didn't like how CASTs look when doing most stuff. A lot of clipping. Why deuman? I dunno, I used to main beasts back in PSU and they were the closest.

However I do have two CAST chars. I don't play their classes yet but I'm gonna divulge more when the time hits. Magic is pretty fun. One race for each mag build as it were, and I was gonna put in the tiniest bit of money to get a fourth.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I main deuman cuz I didn't like how CASTs look when doing most stuff. A lot of clipping. Why deuman? I dunno, I used to main beasts back in PSU and they were the closest.

However I do have two CAST chars. I don't play their classes yet but I'm gonna divulge more when the time hits. Magic is pretty fun. One race for each mag build as it were, and I was gonna put in the tiniest bit of money to get a fourth.
Apparently, if you buy another character, it doesn't actually give you a permanent slot, so if you delete anything, you'll be stuck with three again.

Which server are you playing on?

Siveon

Bot

Apparently, if you buy another character, it doesn't actually give you a permanent slot, so if you delete anything, you'll be stuck with three again.

Which server are you playing on?
Server 2, International. It has most of the JP vets so they carry me through the daily raids. While the fan tl version is arguably better because it's uncensored and has the most content the international servers aren't based in Japan so the ping is actually good. Plus I can relive the content updates in minature, and when NGS comes out my char can transfer to the NA version.

Also that's true but the cost is p low and there's no reason to delete, at least for someone like me.

Siveon

Bot
ship 3 is much cooler because it has me on it
Ship 3 has the most scammers on the market IIRC. I never bothered to research why that is. 1 has the most newbies and 4 is just kind of a meme.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Ship 3 has the most scammers on the market IIRC. I never bothered to research why that is. 1 has the most newbies and 4 is just kind of a meme.
Is that so? I kind of wonder what it's like on the other ships, but I also don't really care. Does it really matter that Ship 2 has old players on it? Most raids are pretty much a guaranteed win unless your teammates are really dumb.

Siveon

Bot
Is that so? I kind of wonder what it's like on the other ships, but I also don't really care. Does it really matter that Ship 2 has old players on it? Most raids are pretty much a guaranteed win unless your teammates are really dumb.
Nah not really, there's no quantifiable difference since I don't play on any other ships. Just hearsay.
"Ship 1 is full of noobs but you can get a game quickly."
"There's a lot of shitposters on Ship 2 and they're very elitist."
"Ship 3 is just a testing ground for people to farm meseta."

It's kind of fun though. Very early internet vibes.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Nah not really, there's no quantifiable difference since I don't play on any other ships. Just hearsay.
"Ship 1 is full of noobs but you can get a game quickly."
"There's a lot of shitposters on Ship 2 and they're very elitist."
"Ship 3 is just a testing ground for people to farm meseta."

It's kind of fun though. Very early internet vibes.
Hm, well, I just stay in Block 42 with all the cool people. It'd be interesting to see how the population compares to that of other ships, but it wouldn't make much a difference to me. I'm the kind of loser who still plays Spiral Knights and contributes to the decline of MMOs by playing solo. (not that PSO and SK even actual MMOs, anyway)

Siveon

Bot
One big issue with the NA version currently is that there's a very quick pace to the updates, likely to coincide with the fancy new engine updates and the new semi-sequel semi-expension, NGS. This means that the "meta" of new players aren't developing and many players are simply not learning the content as well as they should. There's no, digestion period, I guess. The JP-players speed along as they're used to it, while many others are coasting the giant waves waiting for things to settle. Many players, including me, are waiting for content before they get fully invested into the game and I don't blame them.

The three upcoming classes change/improve the way base classes can play, and are also insane to play themselves. Both the Etoile and Luster classes play like something out of Kingdom Hearts which I'm all too excited for.

Siveon

Bot
meanwhile I play summoner/braver and don't even know what a meta is
Gosh a summoner, how's it feel not having to do anything?

EDIT: Also believe it or not you do have a meta. The candies that you feed your wee beasties are gonna get a lot better in updates.

Siveon

Bot
Can i play it solo with some melee class?
I put in a No just so that the answer could be "Yes and No." You can't play solo with any class for certain raid events, unless you're really really really good. Generally though you can play solo and play in pubs pretty easily. There's no huge team dynamic at work so most public raids go relatively smoothly if nobody plays horribly.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It will have to wait. I flipped a coin - secret world or phantasy star and it's secret world for now. I want to at least finish the story this time before game dies.

Quatlo

Arcane
I played for some time with a VPN back in the day, and the whole raid system seemed pretty... random? Skilless? Pointless? I don't know, people were just running around trying to not die and spamming attacks and it always worked. It felt like Guild Wars 2 world events. Am I getting the game wrong?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I played for some time with a VPN back in the day, and the whole raid system seemed pretty... random? Skilless? Pointless? I don't know, people were just running around trying to not die and spamming attacks and it always worked. It felt like Guild Wars 2 world events. Am I getting the game wrong?
Ha ha, nerd, do you think you're playing some kind of MMO or something? LOL!

Siveon

Bot
It doesn't matter at all in lower levels/difficulties/certain raids. Early-game is meant to be forgiving and casual, and it is only when you hit the level limit that things get silly. In later game modes and raids - coordination, while not completely necessary if you're in a team of really good players who can keep up the DPS, makes a lot of fights a lot easier and quicker.

Cromwell

Arcane
Not really, the game in WW will probably have a decent population at least until NGS launches. Even then the original will still be played as weapons and outfits can be transferred.

he and I meant TSW. I will probably try PSO2 when the new version launches.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Are augments really worth it or should I just not even bother? As it is, I don't even really see a point in reaching level 90, let alone trying to figure out affixing.

Siveon

Bot
Are augments really worth it or should I just not even bother? As it is, I don't even really see a point in reaching level 90, let alone trying to figure out affixing.
When you reach 90, I don't know if this is some kind of weird confirmation bias, you seem to get a really substantial stat boost. Also reaching 90 per class gives you SG. Reaching 75 gives you the account wide stat boost but 90 gives ya the free monies. In later expansions I believe you will have to be max level by default.

Affixing is incredibly worth it, most guides will even hint that it is REQUIRED in some cases. This is especially true as the next class coming up, The Phantom, needs 200 PP (MP for non-PSO2 players) at least, to be close to their max potential. Without affixing you'd never get there. Other things affixing can grant you is that, they may not seem much individually but when they group together it is substantial. The recommended base affix is typically 100 [your attack stat], I believe +5 PP and maybe some health. With four affixable gear options, that's at least 400 attack, and 20 PP. Both of which is at least a 12.5% stat increase. This also doesn't get into S-Grade Augments, which function differently, and give you powerful game changing passives.

I say all of this but because affixing is one of the most busywork systems I've ever seen, I don't bother. At least not now, because the updates are coming so quickly that augments are getting outclassed within weeks. I pray NGS overhauls the affixing system, it's about on par as DOS:2's armor system or Elder Scroll's level scaling in terms of annoying mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom