Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Confused, I've been waiting for the "enhanced edition" or whatever that means the game is finally worth playing. Now it's just DLC? Should I start on this or keep waiting?

There is two more dlcs planned I think.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
whatever that means the game is finally worth playing
Meanwhile, I wouldn't hold my breath...

There is two more dlcs planned I think
Two already announced (Legacy of the Ancients / Festering Skies) and two more to come after them:

So that’s the first half of 2020 sorted for Phoenix Point DLCs, with Blood and Titanium, followed by Legacy of the Ancients, and finally Festering Skies. Beyond that, there are two more DLCs included in the Phoenix Point Season Pass – but other than their price, we’ve no idea what new content they each will bring.

All we can reasonably expect is that the fourth DLC will arrive a couple of months after Festering Skies, at around September/October 2020, while the fifth will likely reach us this time next year in December 2020. Hopefully Snapshot Games will reveal more details regarding these two DLCs later on down the line.

And after that – who knows? Snapshot Games have only mentioned the five DLCs so far, but there may well be plans for more in 2021. The developer post I linked at the start of this guide mentioned that the Season Pass will include “at least 5 DLCs”, so it sounds like the devs are happy to continue supporting this game for as long as they can. Hopefully all the new content released over the coming year will continue to inject more great ideas into the game while fixing and rebalancing many of the glaring issues present at launch.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...gacy-of-the-ancients-and-festering-skies-dlc/

jac8awol

Arbiter
I backed this so I'll get all the DLCs as part of the package deal. I played the game on release, pretty good. I'll wait until all the DLCs come out and we get the complete experience. Blood and Titanium looks good though. Ultimate dream is a reworked resource and geoscape exploration system, closer to Long War.

Codex Year of the Donut
Confused, I've been waiting for the "enhanced edition" or whatever that means the game is finally worth playing. Now it's just DLC? Should I start on this or keep waiting?
Wait. It's not a finished product yet.
It's actually pretty decent though, so it will probably be worth the wait.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wait. It's not a finished product yet.
It's actually pretty decent though, so it will probably be worth the wait.

My strat as well. I’m guessing it’ll be kindda finished around december at the earliest

PanteraNera

Arcane
Heh, they called the patch "free content update" what content?

Also Blood and Titanium is a joke, content-wise for 10$.

If they go by that rate it will take another five years to come even close to "finished".

It is just an unfinished mess with a lot of stuff cut (Behemoths? Pianist? Juggernaut? And all the other stuff they talked about even last year, no need to go back to the time around Fig)

On Trello there was already cybernetic augmentation last year. They cut it from the game and sold it as an DLC. BTW probably same with Synedrion, there was always genetic augmentation planed, they will probably add it with another DLC.

I say the game will probably never be worth the purchase (with all the DLC's).

One of the main issues is the lack of enemy variations and map variations. While they keep nerfing the super soldier abilities it still feels like super soldiers.

It is really a shame BB1-3 were really promising.

PanteraNera

Arcane
LizardWizard
Just read what I wrote in this thread. There are a fucking ton of quotes with references, or screenshots from discord.

Not going there anymore, to time consuming.

The game got bigger my ass, first they take Microsoft money, than Epic money, delay the game again and again.

Anyone remembers this video?

This was the announcement that the game gets delayed to June 2019, because it got so much bigger.

But the opposite happened, there was so much stuff they planned that didn't made it in, it is mind boggling.

If they hadn't sold out to Microsoft and Epic while giving their fanbase the middle finger, it would had been another story. But selling now features with DLC's that were there from the beginning, were on Trello a year ago. Crazy stuff at least to me.

Three months since realease and they bring out this "content update" and DLC honestly I feared that it would be what it is, but it still puzzles me.

PanteraNera

Arcane
You sound butthurt. All dlc are free for Fig backers so they didn't cheat them
Oh I am actually butthurt about Phoenix Point. This game could have been so much more. It is a sad story and for me it's time to quit gaming.

I am speechless how much shit people take and are asking for more.

The golden ages of gaming are long over. Crowdfunding hasn't changed that at all.

If I would be desperate in need for something to play, I probably would play Phoenix Point. But I am not.

Like I said I did enjoy the earlier iterations of Phoenix Point and got a good 20-30 hours out of it, but after that it just gets boring and repetitive.

And I am not talking about the original game, it had quite another setting, but you do know that.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
These are not DLCs (in their intrinsic meaning of "added" content to a complete base game) but simple paid (for non backers/early customers) patches/iterations to allow them to finally reach - maybe - 1.0 release from this messy pre-alpha, a release - anyway - that will not have pretty nothing to do with the original FIG pitch I supported strongly. And if Snapshot has not cheated with us backers, I really don't know who can do it. This thread, from the very beginning, is the historical "proof" of this sad sort of scam.

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
These are not DLCs (in their intrinsic meaning of "added" content to a base game) but simple paid (for non backers) patches/iterations to allow them to finally reach - maybe - 1.0 release from this messy pre-alpha, a release - anyway - that will not have pretty nothing to do with the original FIG pitch I supported strongly. And if Snapshot has not cheated with us backers, I really don't know who can do it. This thread, from the very beginning, is the historical "proof" of this sad sort of scam.

Discarded Launch Content.

PanteraNera

Arcane
If you want to get some entertainment value out of Phoenix Point instead of playing the game you should visit the official Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/

Apparently it makes you unable to load old saves:
2mt9gf5xipk41.png

Timed missions without a timer:
" The Blood and Titanium DLC contains some narrative missions for The Pure subfaction. These missions give certain technologies as a reward, which are required to complete The Pure story arc. These missions are time-sensitive once they appear on the Geoscape, and should be responded to ASAP.

If these missions are missed, don’t worry - it is still possible to obtain the required tech in other ways (such as through stealing and reverse engineering).

We will be releasing a hotfix next week to provide a timer for the player to see how long is remaining to complete the missions."

People losing faith (a little late in my opinion)
Such oversights are so disappointing. It's as if the devs have no pride in their craft. I do really like the game, but a little tender loving care could really help it ascend from good to excellent.

One can only hope that future DLC releases are more polished, but events like today's erodes my optimism.
this was my first thought - You get in trouble for lack of QA and play testing then you rush out a DLC with underwhelming changes that is clearly not play tested or well thought out. I understand the demand for the rush to fix the issues - but if Mods in the free time can do some of bigger fixes/ changes over athe course of a weekend there is no reason a studio of professional can't over the course of what 2 months now.

I feel like the Modder are putting out more impactful and game changing / fixing things then the dves are . The QandA session was beyond bad the guy was so unprepared and all his answers were we don't know we are aware of the problem but we haven't decided what to do yet , or we looking into it over the next 6 months like they still think they are beta testing .
So many oversights, so many bugs. These types of releases are indefensible, especially with EVERY release. There are still bugs from BB4, it's clear the Epic exclusive was to not only to allow this game to be released at all, but a clear abuse of consumers being used as paying testers.

To be clear, I don't blame the devs and I like the game. But this is god damn ridiculous and again, indefensible.

Just call it an early release - admit what it is - should of never been sold as a finished product . And tell all the backers they get year 2 of DLC free as well for the BS and i think everyone would be happy . EGS is such a smaller market then steam - when they hit steam it might actually be a decent game at the expense of us being jerked around and lied to .

To be clear i don't feel ike we are getting any free DLC as promised and we are more getting what was promised in the kickstarter from the beginning over the course of a year via DLC with a few minor things throw in to call it DLC . AKA you were never promised new factions but we gave you new factions so DLC !!!!

The real game should of had Augments to all 3 factions on release (cybernetics,Mutations,Nanites but only anu had it at release , NJ just got it today and SYN....they are the bastard redheaded step child that is forgotten about on so many levels .

On a side note the DLC didn't went online on time due some technical issues.

Snapshot never fails do deliver incompetence :lol:

Oh I am actually butthurt about Phoenix Point. This game could have been so much more. It is a sad story and for me it's time to quit gaming.

I am speechless how much shit people take and are asking for more.

The golden ages of gaming are long over. Crowdfunding hasn't changed that at all.

If I would be desperate in need for something to play, I probably would play Phoenix Point. But I am not.

Like I said I did enjoy the earlier iterations of Phoenix Point and got a good 20-30 hours out of it, but after that it just gets boring and repetitive.

And I am not talking about the original game, it had quite another setting, but you do know that.

dude, we all knew years ago already, you were the only one blind to the truth.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Actually I was the only that told the truth, with quotes, screenshots, links and sources.

Nether the less there was a small glimpse of hope in me that they will get things right with paid DLC's and free content patches. Even if it takes a year.

But at that rate, at what they are delivering, what they are communicating, nope no hope.

And that puzzles me a lot, they had so many chances and they just waste one after another.

Actually I was the only that told the truth, with quotes, screenshots, links and sources.

Nether the less there was a small glimpse of hope in me that they will get things right with paid DLC's and free content patches. Even if it takes a year.

But at that rate, at what they are delivering, what they are communicating, nope no hope.

And that puzzles me a lot, they had so many chances and they just waste one after another.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
seems like they weren't able to fix it.
The sheer amount of incompetence, shown everywhere in this development (hell) process from the very beginning, is staggering. It's seems that Gollop no longer has pride or dignity in what he does. Mala tempora currunt, sed peiora parantur...

ArchAngel

Arcane
seems like they weren't able to fix it.
The sheer amount of incompetence, shown everywhere in this development (hell) process from the very beginning, is staggering. It's seems that Gollop no longer has pride or dignity in what he does. Mala tempora currunt, sed peiora parantur...
When I said long time ago that using east europe devs will be the death of them I got some racist tags.
Owlcat is lucky that it was an experienced team, I guess Gollop just hired anyone off the street.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
When I said long time ago that using east europe devs will be the death of them I got some racist tags.
As far as I know, east-european developers are pretty good, excellent in some case. The problem here lies in Gollop and his fuzzy and inconsistent project direction, already manifest at the time of FIG crowdfunding and worsened dramatically thereafter. In italy we've a saying: "the fish stinks from the head".

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Each subsequent iteration, they manage to move further and further away from the original great vision, atmosphere and aesthetics, to fully embrace dumb mass sci-fi tropes.

Mazisky

Magister
By the time this game will be complete and on steam release, Nuxcom 3 will be probably out and there is a huge possibility that PP will be completely buried by it and its 2k marketing budget.
I think they need to hurry up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom