Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    No, because we can't appreciate true quality.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The new aircraft battles are banal shit boring. Don't see much value added by the whole behemoth thing.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. jac8awol Savant

jac8awol
    I really have no idea what they were thinking with their development plan. I was excited for the game while it was in development. I played it on release on Epic, it was all right. Haven't touched it since, will probably give it another go once all the DLCs are finished and included. My excitement levels maintained a constant 'meh' since release and up until now, and I can't imagine that it's very different for all the other game owners like me.

A few people may pick this game up along the way, but the hype is well and truly over. It's like death by a thousand cuts for this product as each month just makes it older, less relevant, and even the regular hardcore gamers on here seemingly aren't playing/talking about the expansions.

At this point I'm thinking it may be smarter to just take the money and run, or start a new project, because by now we've all pretty much given up on Phoenix Point being the game we were expecting/hoping for.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, dev is strange. Knowing how much dev costs in Bulgaria, I would think that the 11m usd they got from Epic is more than enough to cover dev costs + profit. On the other hand, they might still be generating enough sales on the long tail to justify the cheap dev costs and be making money.
    Another option is that this game is a labour of love - unfortunately, this doesn't show anywhere, unless the love is rather pathological.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    They are not banal, you can get easily owned in the air. But main change of air stuff is that your resources are now more stretched out as you need to defend vs this as well. And new Myrmidon enemy is nasty in the evolved forms. It an enemy that if you ignore thinking you can deal with it later it will devastate your squad. Reminds me of UFO's Crysallids. Crysallids one shot your guys, these little fuckers 2 shoot them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    I called it banal because it all just boils to cooldown management. Personally, I hate such thing in a game that was supposed to be turn based.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    The epic "money in advance" deal probably contains a clause about support and dlc so they just want to throw them out there as slow/low effort as possible just because they have to. The game seems to be doing "average low budget niche slitherine game" when it comes to the number of people that actually bother to play it (courtesy of steamcharts) so the audience for the additional content isn't there, as unsurprising as it is.

^ Top  
  8. Empary Learned

Empary
    Air combat is like 1994 one, but you click diffrent buttons

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    It is not just that. I don't know how long you have played but a bit later when you got access to more weapons and modules you want to keep your intereceptors in base and equip them with right weapons before you send them out. And you don't really know what kind of weapons enemies have until you fight them a bunch and learn this (you only see details of their weapons once you get to first Engage/Disengage screen before the battle).
    Each weapon has different aiming mechanics (4 in all) and there are a couple of different damage types. Then it also matters the range of your weapon and then the cooldown as well.
    Air combat is most similar to UFO 1994 and certainly more complex than Firaxis Xcom. And even Xenonauts does not have turn based air combat.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    *turn-based
    That said turn-based air combat is pretty rare in games.
    There's ancient Flight Commander 2 and beyond that I got nothing.

^ Top  
  11. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Played a bit and before the first submerge it's a bit banal since you just have the starting Gift.

After it reappears it's as Archangel says, enemy flyers have more weapons/hp than you so it's easy to get rekt.

^ Top  
  12. Visperas Savant

Visperas
    So, is it worth the addition? I got the Year One version and I'm about to start playing it but I'm not sure if I should get the last expansion or not. Comments?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    You're probably better of without it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. geno Learned

geno
    Can I mod out the air combat? I never liked it in these games and this one seems to be specially unfun.

^ Top  
  15. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    When you start a new game you choose which DLCs will be active in it. You can disable Festering Skies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There's also Sid Meier Ace patrol

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. geno Learned

geno
    What if I want the content besides the air combat?

^ Top  
  18. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Then you are out of luck.

^ Top  
  19. cretin Savant

cretin
    252 pages and I cant get a bead on whether this game sucks or not

• Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    It's pretty good, but not Battle Brothers, Templar Battleforce or Troubleshooter -tier, if you're looking for current-ish tactical game.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    It's the most meh game I have played in a long time. There is enough good in there to keep playing it for 10+ hours, though not enough for 20+ (for me at least). There are cool concepts, like the enemy evolution, executed poorly. The graphics style feels bit shovelware-ish, with UI feeling like a placeholder programmer art. There's quite a lot of variety in soldier and enemy abilities. There are systems that feel very shoehorned in, at least in my opinion (air combat, augmentation).
    There is really nothing in this game that would make me say it's bad, but there's nothing to make me crave more of it. It's basically big mac of tactical games - you know it's not healthy, and it might be a bit bland, but you most likely won't get poisoned eating it, and it looks much better on paper ads then in actuality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. oSiyeza Barely Literate

oSiyeza
    Are you sure?, I find this claim extremely weird.

• That would have been a very bad deal for EPIC.
    • I looked the documentation on the case, published here by the United States District Court Northern District of California: https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/cases-e-filing/cases-of-interest/epic-games-inc-v-apple-inc/ . It is obvious that the posted image does not come from the documents of the case, but that hardly matters. I have searched through the files and I have not find any specific claim about Epic Deals, or any reference at all to Phoenix Point, Snapshot Games or Julian Gollop in any of the documents. There really aren’t actually specific numbers on the documents, as those seem to have been redacted. Furthermore, the only actual game I have seen mentioned in the documents is Fortnite.
    So... Is this coming from an actual source or is nothing but made up information? Can anybody point to the alleged document this information is in? Or the actual source of the claim?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Visperas Savant

Visperas
    That bad, huh? Could you elaborate? What makes it not worth it?

^ Top  
  24. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    I'm not saying its bad, but from what I've seen aircombat adds relatively little to game besides some busywork, additional resource sink and even more story missions to a game that already has quite a lot story set pieces in it.

^ Top  
  25. Nightfall Novice

Nightfall
    DX-3399 Redacted.pdf

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.