Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It will sell 10 more copies to codexian oldfags.

Also i can't imagine deadfire being a good TB games,the system is not compatible.
Hard to tell. I am more concerned over how the UI will shape up, because that seems harder to fix compared to number tweaks.

Also, if I read the article correctly, TB mode arrives January 24th. I had hoped Obsidian would do a round of public testing to get a head start out any bugs or balancing issues.
Well i just finished replaying the game with all the DLCs and must say that it is in worst state than Kingmaker at this point,bug wise that is. While the Rus hammered out the game and its bugs in the months after release,Deadfire still have a big part of its release bugs. I do know that i will get a decent amount of negative ratings from the game's retarded fans,but that is the reality. If people don't believe me,they are free to download and install both games.
Can you give an example? Do you mean more frequent crashes and/or bugged quests?

I have not played it much since release. I shelved any plans for another playthrough pending release of all the DLC (and now TB). Did the DLC introduce more bugs, because I remember the release version being relatively stable?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BTW, Infinitron , I think we should keep the TB combat feedback in a separate thread.

The main thing I'm wondering is how much have they redesigned the encounters in TB mode. I can't imagine how the game will be playable with the PotD mobs in TB mode being the same as in RtwP mode.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It will sell 10 more copies to codexian oldfags.

Also i can't imagine deadfire being a good TB games,the system is not compatible.
Hard to tell. I am more concerned over how the UI will shape up, because that seems harder to fix compared to number tweaks.

Also, if I read the article correctly, TB mode arrives January 24th. I had hoped Obsidian would do a round of public testing to get a head start out any bugs or balancing issues.
Well i just finished replaying the game with all the DLCs and must say that it is in worst state than Kingmaker at this point,bug wise that is. While the Rus hammered out the game and its bugs in the months after release,Deadfire still have a big part of its release bugs. I do know that i will get a decent amount of negative ratings from the game's retarded fans,but that is the reality. If people don't believe me,they are free to download and install both games.
Can you give an example? Do you mean more frequent crashes and/or bugged quests?

I have not played it much since release. I shelved any plans for another playthrough pending release of all the DLC (and now TB). Did the DLC introduce more bugs, because I remember the release version being relatively stable?
Both really,it crashed like 5 times in my replay. A lot of bugs are still there even when reported in the first month after release. Mainly quests triggers in the end part of the game. There are a bunch of wacky bugs like getting half my party teleported on trap and perma killed the moment i entered a dungeon or not being able to move on the world map. Those were easy to fix,just reload. But still some time you may not notice it and fuck up your game. Also there were some small ones like pickpocketing the alarm horns in the pirate fort,yet enemies still being able to rise the alarm. I was mainly pissed at how fucked the quest triggers were,i didn't get the quest to fight the water guild dragon and a few others like the slaver's quest line etc etc.

user

Savant
I kept running into bugs too, spells didn't hit their opponents for some reason, couldn't use magic for some other reason out of combat, might raised spell damage, reached level-cap at 1/3 of the game and more. Ok seriously though, I kept getting stuck in combat with no monsters anywhere in the map having to reload, the prisoners at the dig site wouldn't get out of their cage, the BoW wouldn't talk to me in that sidequest, kept crashing after magran's maw, the guardian at Ukaizo was frozen doing nothing and some others involving quest triggers as well.

Here's my mini-review on PK forums Infinitron, since you are the only one who can see my posts >:d
https://owlcatgames.com/forums/showthread.php?6078-P-K-mini-review

Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

Gosh like wtf right? A free update! :salute:

A free update that will add a whole enw combat system to the game is very generous to not make it conect you have to pay to download so I will be giving it a try because I sometimes find the real time combat is really fast I end up pausing it a lot to see if a spell has been cast or an action has been completed at least with this way I will know from party member to party member just like in the older Ultimas. Josh looks great with the frosted salt and pepper hair maybe he will do another valentines day video. With all the time I had when I was little playing in the Britannia world combat was not a chore it just happened and you did it but now with a lot of distrctions it sure might not have the same exploring the world feeling anymore because there are no magic axes you can throw in the game like in Ultima and that helped speed up the combat when everyone got them or you could start casting really high level spells while wearing the crown and scepter to kill dragons.

But right now I am focusing on the real time with peause game I am already deep into but I will try it out when it drops and roll a new character and never know I may surprise myself and like it a lot more even though it will be a lot slwoer in battles so it is nice there are no timers between each character or it might get added as a challenge where you have 30 seconds to make a choice before you miss the attack and it moves to the next party member or creature and has an achievement you will get if you play the game like that I am sure that would be popular too as a challenge.

Thanks,
Sherry

The Real Fanboy
Hi!

Josh looks great with the frosted salt and pepper hair maybe he will do another valentines day video.

Thanks,
Sherry

giphy.gif

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I discovered something big while playing with the console, but I'm afraid if I share Obsidian will patch it out

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Oh yeah, you can really tell Obsidian was truly invested in preserving the legacy of the Infinity Engine games when they ditched Vancian magic and added a bunch of mechanics that were the complete antithesis of the Infinity Engine games.
*sigh*
That's the least of poe's problems.

I thought the same as you, but I think what's more likely is the paradoxical situation, where the self-proclaimed hardcore cRPG grognard muthas end up shitting on the TB Deadfire and preferring the RtwP Kingmaker. What a time to be alive! :lol:
I haven't played Kingmaker yet (and considering it's apparently 100hours long or smthg, I probably never will), but the things I heard about it makes me think this situation you suggest wouldn't be that paradoxical from a grog standpoint.
Either rtwp or TB, if one game is more challenging and interesting than the other, it's the superior game. Then again I haven't played Kingmaker, so I'm basing myself on posts from the codex (which I deeply trust and love, obviously).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh yeah, you can really tell Obsidian was truly invested in preserving the legacy of the Infinity Engine games when they ditched Vancian magic and added a bunch of mechanics that were the complete antithesis of the Infinity Engine games.
*sigh*
That's the least of poe's problems.
"Preserving the legacy of the Infinity Engine games" has always been superficial marketing talk, meant for players with no memory of how these games actually played. In retrospect, what we have as combat mechanics is actually pretty good, but it's not IE games combat mechanics.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Depends. Some people could find the essence of IE games in the rtwp system coupled with hand-drawn beautiful backgrounds, assembling a party and venturing forth. In this regard, poe is indeed a spiritual successor.

PS: I absolutely agree on the marketing talk though. But that doesn't justify the rest. You can base your project on the perspective on making quick money to save your company, and that's what happened, and still make something that you believe to fit the pitch.
Whether obsidian did a good job is another story. But questioning their honesty for something like the absence of the vailian magic and shit... Considering POE's actual problems, if they did go for a carbon copy of how IE games played, they would still get shit (and rightfully so) because POE's actual problems have nothing to do with this. T'was my point.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
In my opinion Deadfire has more in common with New Vegas and Icewind Dale 2 than Baldurs Gate.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I discovered a secret developer room. From there you can complete any quest, travel to any location, trigger any event, spawn various items, get the submarine & ghost ship, and access testing rooms and cut content

tHMMGik.jpg

EgiUPlO.jpg

NDgDysw.jpg

Example of Cut Content: The original plans for companion Ydwin was that you would meet her at sea, after she cannibalized her entire crew. The scene is even fully voiceacted.

sROAZVf.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom