Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most of the incline moments were his doing, so it's unfair to bash him for the low sales. He should've known better about the story, but seeing as he doesn't have any writing talent working at Obs atm, it's a tall order.
He was the project lead! Who am i to bash about the negatives of the games,god? Laurels and responsibility go hand in hand,the first game was disappointment and the sales of the second one showed it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I do think most of the damage was done by PoE1, not DF. DF is better than 1 in all aspects that matter, so I think it's more complicated than "it's his fault".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do think most of the damage was done by PoE1, not DF. DF is better than 1 in all aspects that matter, so I think it's more complicated than "it's his fault".
I disagree with you about the DF,i do thing it is inferior game in many aspects. I have played PoE more times and i will most likely do it again in a year or two,DF i will replay once after all the DLC is out....maybe. Different aspects of the game are better but as a whole it is not. It feels half-assed with a lot of time wasting tactic,poor writing and bad quests design,boring sea travel and exploration on to of it and lets not forget that it have less than a half of actual content.

As for Josh....well he is the lead on both games and he should take the responsibility.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, but only on PotD. This thread has a habit of revealing who plays on what difficulty.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah. Which proves that Sawyer is extremely stubborn but if whole community shouts in his ear that dragons stunlocked by grease spell is dumb, he will maybe learn. Perhaps after a year of everyone saying that main story of Deadfire is not good he will make another of those presentations at gamescom or whatever. He seems like a person who would defend his point almost to the death but not totally unreasonable.

Although afflictions and counters in Deadfire are so half-assed and vary in power levels so much it shows that system was not created with love and attention to that sort of play.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Sorry to keep posting these but I think this one post is worth it

cijxot1.png
:x The player could have been given a half dozen ways to have agency in the main plot beyond ''kill statue''. Shame if someone were to get in a self defense situation with this clown irl.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i'm asking because of the example with the +2 Fire dmg sword from BG.
My point is that a simple suffix like +2 fire dmg stands out and above so many other weapons because the world has certain rules that make it stand out.
If you can kill everything in the game with any weapon, the differences between weapons are not as awesome even if one does 10x more dmg than another. In fact it's the most boring, straightforward, lazy, unimaginative way of implementing variety of itemization.
If on the other hand only 3 out of 1000 weapons in the game can hurt a certain monster, owning one of them becomes a felt achievement even if it's outdamaged by all the other 997.
If it's hard to get them and if you don't get told by every peasant you meet where they are, then you could even talk about a good game.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sawyer really pissed me off with this last statement. I defended him a lot of times, but this way of thinking is just wrong

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Part of it is just him acting defensive. I've had my writing criticized before, and it was hard to deal with at first.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Yes, but only on PotD. This thread has a habit of revealing who plays on what difficulty.
you seem to be assuming i played the game. i didn't. the very introduction part was so boring it made me sick. having played poe 1 also didn't help with my motivation.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Part of it is just him acting defensive. I've had my writing criticized before, and it was hard to deal with at first.
He's a 20 years game veteran. Probably was DMing since teenage years. Registered on SA from 2001.

DMing a few adventures is enough to realise you gotta be very self critical on your writing especially when it comes to players feeling they don't have enough freedom.

Lacrymas

Arcane
i liked your old avatar better. much much better.

I'll change it again in another 3 years.

the very introduction part was so boring it made me sick. having played poe 1 also didn't help with my motivation.

It's a (mostly... ok, somewhat) competently made game, it just lacks creativity and that certain je n'ais se quoi. The team really need to play some old games and not only the IE games. The M&Ms, the Wizadries, X-Com the original, Jagged Alliance 1 and 2, etc. Also consume other types of art, not the pop culture kind, though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
By the way have anyone ever wondered - the whole plot of Baldur's Gate saga is about gods;

but games somehow manage to completely avoid any gods in their narrative? Since gods are powerful and it's hard to exactly manage their power level relevant to the story.
I know there is a rule in FR about that clerics act instead (although as FR lore shows rules exist to be broken) but still.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not about gods, it's about characters and their (realistic in-setting) desire to become gods. It's also about the struggle of the Bhaalspawn against those forces, including within themself. It's not high literature, but it's better than PoE.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i liked your old avatar better. much much better.

I'll change it again in another 3 years.

the very introduction part was so boring it made me sick. having played poe 1 also didn't help with my motivation.

It's a (mostly... ok, somewhat) competently made game, it just lacks creativity and that certain je n'ais se quoi. The team really need to play some old games and not only the IE games. The M&Ms, the Wizadries, X-Com the original, Jagged Alliance 1 and 2, etc.
well, knowing that people can get refunds in the first 2 hours on steam and still making the introduction a slog with idiotic recap images from poe 1 nobody needs or cares about any more because they want to play a new game instead of dropping the player right into some action is certainly a bold retarded or very honest move. any sane man will see it as a sign of what to expect from the rest of the game: a sequel to a spiritual successor of a good game. a lazy last attempt to milk some more of that nostalgia. and he'd be right.

Payd Shell

Arcane
By the way have anyone ever wondered - the whole plot of Baldur's Gate saga is about gods;

but games somehow manage to completely avoid any gods in their narrative? Since gods are powerful and it's hard to exactly manage their power level relevant to the story.
I know there is a rule in FR about that clerics act instead (although as FR lore shows rules exist to be broken) but still.
nah BG is a proto battle royale

Lacrymas

Arcane
The beginning is absolutely terrible, yes. They should've known better, especially since the statistics quite clearly show that most people didn't even get to Maerwald in the first game. What was the point of that recap when the game has literally nothing to do with the events of the first game? Idiotic choice.

Shadenuat

Arcane
nah BG is a proto battle royale
bg1 is politicking with plots and mercenaries, bg2 is more banal chosen fantasy one and tob is There must be only One

Neither have Cyric exploding volcanoes on your head though, since probably even in epic saga about godhood that didn't feel as a tasteful thing to add to the narrative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom