Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're right. We need more buttons.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That's not meh, that's miscusi.

That is some old shit mate :)
MiserableJampackedAzurevasesponge.gif

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Please, Eurotrip is timeless and it will be shown in film schools together with Godfather and Casablanca long after you and I leave this planet.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ok, so was looking into the assets of 2.0 and there is a lot of good new items. Axes, swords, maces, pike, quarterstaff, rapier, shields... even a new sabre. Everything is better now.

Crossbows? It badly needs more crossbows.

Not a single new crossbow in the patch. Maybe I can do some for you?

Here is the crossbow idea.

Name : Cringe absorber

Special effect: Every time you hear broken italian VO you lose 1 point of HP

Per complanca!

Bon Piaco

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok, so was looking into the assets of 2.0 and there is a lot of good new items. Axes, swords, maces, pike, quarterstaff, rapier, shields... even a new sabre. Everything is better now.

Crossbows? It badly needs more crossbows.

Not a single new crossbow in the patch. Maybe I can do some for you?

Here is the crossbow idea.

Name : Cringe absorber

Special effect: Every time you hear broken italian VO you lose 1 point of HP

Per complanca!

Bon Piaco
Ac Agracima

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bet roxor did one already he spent a good 50 hours on it, the review must be on hold as it would just be like hitting an injured man agonizing on the ground.
Roxor said his difficulty with writing it was that it would be a boring neutral-positive one. Don't expect an edgefest.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Every review would be neutral tbh. The game is not terrible, yet it doesn't excel in anything either. I'd give it a 6.5/10, it will probably be bumped up to 7 (I give PoE1 a 6) when all the DLCs come out if they are good enough. I also give BG1 a 7, so I think I'm being more than generous. Maybe I should bump up BG1 to a 7.5. Not that a complex opinion can be reduced to a number, but I don't think I have a complex opinion of DF. It's functional, but it's too far away from a masterpiece, or even a flawed masterpiece, to be worth or have the potential for such an opinion.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've played BG1 when I was a pristine impressionable young lad.

If PoE2 will make me feel again the same splendid feelings I've experienced while playing BG1, Pillars 2 is 11/10.

Mortmal

Arcane
Bet roxor did one already he spent a good 50 hours on it, the review must be on hold as it would just be like hitting an injured man agonizing on the ground.
Roxor said his difficulty with writing it was that it would be a boring neutral-positive one. Don't expect an edgefest.
If he could write an edgefest for divos 2 he could for this... Ah well no more drama to get from this , hope kingmaker delivers in one way or the other.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If he could write an edgefest for divos 2 he could for this... Ah well no more drama to get from this , hope kingmaker delivers in one way or the other.
The difference between them is that Deadfire dumbed things down and made it more fun, whereas OS2 dumbed things down and did the opposite. A bit like the difference between Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age II though not so extreme.

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, DF isn't better than PoE because it's "more fun" due to being "dumbed down". It's better because it has better exploration, more polish, better itemization, better dungeons, etc. The only dumbed down aspect is the Vancian casting, which I think we can all agree was pointless and vestigial the way it was implemented in PoE1. Oh, and Health/Endurance, which is also decline. 2 steps forward, 1 and a half back basically.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Deadfire is a monumentally better game. But most folks still have PTSD from the first one and so they're not really able to enjoy anything anymore.

/thread

Prime Junta

Only thing I'm feeling edgy about in DF is the writing. The story doesn't make a lick of sense and doesn't fit the type of game it is, and all those companions who want to jump on your bazzo 5 minutes after meeting you are just rum-dumb.

Some mostly ignorable minor niggles aside, everything else is either par for course, good, or even excellent. Easily Obsidz' best game since FONV.

I do think FONV is even better though, and rather tragically DF's failures are in areas where FONV shines. It's odd that they don't seem to know how their best game actually works -- a FONV style story would have been a perfect fit, instead of the faux-epic faux-urgency of the one they did make. If only they had chosen to go with a fresh protag...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only dumbed down aspect is the Vancian casting, which I think we can all agree was pointless and vestigial the way it was implemented in PoE1.
About as pointless and vestigial as any D&D computer game. :)

Lacrymas

Arcane
I do think FONV is even better though, and rather tragically DF's failures are in areas where FONV shines. It's odd that they don't seem to know how their best game actually works -- a FONV style story would have been a perfect fit, instead of the faux-epic faux-urgency of the one they did make. If only they had chosen to go with a fresh protag...

Eh, the old protagonist doesn't really matter much. I don't think you even do much with your Watcher-ness again. Shitty protagonist is shitty basically, but it's not it the problem. The problem is Eothas being the main story, which he shouldn't have been. He shouldn't have been in the game at all, but that's where we ended up. The least they could've done is wrap up the Eothas business in the end of act 1 and then focus on the factions trying to deal with the aftermath of that. Maybe he unearthed more luminous adra, maybe he should've been the one who created the luminous adra when you dealt with him. Then have the factions fight and squabble over that. Maybe the last area could've been a massive luminous adra vein, or perhaps Eothas' now lifeless body. His crash into the earth could've created cataclysms so the factions could help the people to gain their support.

This shit writes itself and I don't know why Obs' writers don't see it. They can set up a lot of interesting things, but never go the extra mile to think up what to do with them. I made the same observation a while ago as well -

Well, yeah, this caste system leads to institutionalised ghettoisation and promises of a better afterlife as justification. The Vailians can kinda sort this out by hiring cheap muscle, they are already doing that. It would've been an interesting exploration, instead of helping individual cases and inviting even more violence in the process, you could've convinced the Vailians to mass hire them for the work on adra refinement and outpost building. This would inevitably lead to the lowest caste having more resources to step up in Neketaka, causing delicious drama with the Huana. This basically writes itself.

The luminous adra that Eothas causes after he leaves the construct could've been the perfect opportunity for the Vailians to start mass hiring the lowest caste and set this whole chain of events in motion. Yet, the only thing we got is a cavalcade of shit and pointlessness.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Deadfire is Obsidian's best game after New Vegas, which makes it one of the better RPGs ever created.

Many have a preconceived notion that the game sucks, so all the time they should be having fun they are trying to confirm their bias instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom