Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

frajaq

Erudite
What special text is a fighter supposed to have anyhow?

Always figured they were the ones that would comment on fighting form/training/position/tactical expertise

Shadenuat

Arcane
Blinding your charmed members would be fun if it worked. But I don't think it will work either since ability itself is broken. For now I chew Svef.

Supermedo

Augur
Bought the game currently downloading it, I wanted to know if reslove still used everywhere in dialgoues check, do I have to boost Resolve for dialogue checks even thought it won't help my characte build (Wizard)

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Bought the game currently downloading it, I wanted to know if reslove still used everywhere in dialgoues check, do I have to boost Resolve for dialogue checks even thought it won't help my characte build (Wizard)

Max Perception (61), Might (44), and Resolve (38). At least 521 options.

Less than max Resolve is still used quite a bit I think, probably Sawyer's way of balancing it a bit more since it's a bit on the weaker end still.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Blinding your charmed members would be fun if it worked. But I don't think it will work either since ability itself is broken. For now I chew Svef.
imo it shouldn't work anyway.
Once you're dominated, you're dominated, whatever the source. It shouldn't be possible to cancel it by blinding the victim because it happened to be a gaze.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
God damn. I was dicking around in the prologue in Port Maje, and I managed to time the bomb explosion in the prison quest to kill a random guard who was wondering around. I was so proud of myself, then I pick up his loot and he has a letter from his daughter congratulating him on landing the job in city guard.

.:despair:

:0-13:

Well played Josh. Fuck you.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hello fellow adventurers,

The team at Obsidian is very proud of the reception that Deadfire is getting from the community, and we love reading and hearing your personal experiences as you explore the Deadfire for the first time. I would like to share what's in store for you in Pillars II over the next several months, including free content and new features!

The first large update for Deadfire will be launching in early June - Patch 1.1. This update contains hundreds of fixes and refinements based upon our internal testing and all the great feedback we have been getting.

Included in Patch 1.1 is a complete overhaul of Veteran and Path of the Damned difficulties. You'll find more enemies per encounter and with new level scaling adjustments the game should be much more challenging. Let us know what you think on the forums - this will be an ongoing process based on community feedback. Secondly, for players who want to play the game for a second (or third!) time, we are adding an option to skip the introduction and jump straight into the second scene. This option will be available on the new game screen and will not require any Berath's Blessings points to activate. Lastly, the team is also adding new cosmetic options for player customization with the ability to change character appearance at any time.

While our programmers get Patch 1.1 ready, some of our artists and designers have had some time on their hands. They've put together the first of several free DLCs for Deadfire, "Rum Runner's Pack" which is coming out today. This pack features Mirke, a new Sidekick, along with a drunken personality idle animation and new alcoholic drinks. We will be releasing even more free DLC over the next few months that will add more items, ship upgrades, crew members, and appearance options. Look for the next free DLC to be available two weeks from now.

rumrunners-available-now.jpg

Just like the first Pillars of Eternity, the team is committed to support Deadfire with new features, content, bug fixes, and polish to make the game the best it can be. We are listening to your feedback on our forums, Reddit, social media, and user reviews - and the development team has many ideas for improvement, too. Through 2018, we have plans to add more quality of life changes to make the game better and better. For the mod community, we will be releasing documentation on the game data formats, and will be working on tools to help facilitate mods. Another feature that the team is really excited about is what we are calling "Magran's Fires". Similar to Berath's Blessings, these modes can be enabled from the main menu and will add gameplay modifiers for challenges above and beyond Path of the Damned. In addition to the returning Triple Crown and Triple Crown Solo challenges, we will be rolling out challenges themed to Eora's gods, beginning with Berath, Galawain, and, of course, Magran. As always, we are listening to feedback on what you would like to see in future updates.

Don't forget we have three expansive DLCs on the horizon. The first DLC, "Beast of Winter", is due to land this July. We will be showing off the new areas and content in the DLC soon!

It's been an amazing journey, and we aren't done yet. Thank you for your continued support for Pillars of Eternity and Obsidian. Now go forth, download "Rum Runner's Pack", and have a drink with your new friend Mirke.

Cheers,

Adam Brennecke

Executive Producer

When are the collector's editions arriving?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh wow drugs are so bugged lol. I got Eder under Svef dispelled by temporarily supressing effects (so dominated again lol), so svef ended and he got drug crush, but then when dispel ended he got both positive and negative effects at same time.

At the same time I hit him with blind from Aloth, game said HIT, but blindness didn't affect him (??) maybe because it counts as beneficial since it's my party member who cast it (???)

wtf

imo it shouldn't work anyway.
Naturally, I meant it would (should) prevent further attempts not dispel dominate

Erebus

Arcane
Once they've fixed the difficulty, I think I'll try the game with an Aumaua from Rauatai... in part because it feels like the only sensible reason to side with the Royal Deadfire Company.

You may side with the Vailians because you value their scientific research. You may side with the Huana because you want to help them keep their lands. And you may side with the pirates because you want wealth and glory while remaining fairly independent.

But unless you have reasons to care about Rauatai, you're not given many reasons to support the Deadfire Company.

Like this for example.:

1. Eothas dies in Ashes Maw from Magrana's volcano, but before perishing he tells you of Ukaizo and a last remaining Engwitian machine that can do some black magic fuckery with all the supercharged adra.

2. The finale becomes an epic battle between the factions on who gets to the machine first.

3. Once you get there you get to a choice to rebuild Eothas, inject magic juice into one of the factions to make them a Deadfire superpower, or try take the power for yourself but then it backfires and you end up an immortal ghost pirate captain pillaging the sees for eternity

It's a good idea. It would fix the main problem with the ending : it makes you feel like a spectator.

Fairfax

Arcane
Call it "if you can't do something right, don't do it at all."
If that was the approach, it was very inconsistent. There's quite a lot they didn't do right, and in cases like naval combat or the wound system, there's no way they didn't know it was half-assed.

Max Perception (61), Might (44), and Resolve (38). At least 521 options.

Less than max Resolve is still used quite a bit I think, probably Sawyer's way of balancing it a bit more since it's a bit on the weaker end still.
The 521 options were for the whole build combined. Also, Intellect (36) is close to Resolve in number of checks, and some of them were useful.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If that was the approach, it was very inconsistent. There's quite a lot they didn't do right, and in cases like naval combat or the wound system, there's no way they didn't know it was half-assed.
Naval combat is one of those non-core gameplay things that's not ever going to feel right, but they felt obligated to include it because its absence would be even more jarring. :M

Shadenuat

Arcane
Interestingly, vampire just used rogue ability and cleared blindness from itself completely. So is blindness an affliction then? But it doesn't state so in cyclopedia. And rogue ability gives you dex inspiration.

Then again they have abilities like "shadow leap" in cyclopedia, which have no description, maybe it's their natural ability (teleport + clear effects). I prefer symmetry though.

Also vampire AI has it cast supress positive effects on party, dat is smart. Really, whoever made these enemies, we need more of that person. Only thing I dislike (except bugs) is their HP, basic dragon has 1000, vampires have 700, I'd replace it with regen/drain you have to supress since enemies who rely on spells and abilities shouldn't also tank so much.

Also after blinded again for 50 seconds vampire stopped using dominating gaze, or maybe just missed a lot. Maybe AI is there but ability is still bugged.

well, whatever.

I think vampire island and nemnok are best things about this game.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Naval combat is one of those non-core gameplay things that's not ever going to feel right, but they felt obligated to include it because its absence would be even more jarring. :M
Yes, it was expected, but that's why it was even more important to do it right. :M

They underestimated how much people would care about it, much like companion quests, dungeons, difficulty, etc. It'd be understandable if the game had a massive amount of content and/or brilliant execution in other areas to compensate, but that's not the case. Something (or multiple things) held the game's development back. In PoE1's case, the reasons were clear, but this time it's harder to tell.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do a lot of people care about it? I dread going to the Obsidian forums because I always get some form of internet cancer from it, so I wouldn't know. Either way, the way they described ship combat sounded like shit, the way they implemented it is shit and the way it plays is shit, so the shitslide is constant and relentless. How can they underestimate companions, dungeons and difficulty, though? Especially dungeons.

Sloul

Savant
I think it's more about giving Housing abilities to player.
Boats = the new Caed Nua. Aka BG2 stronghold.
But here they decided to go with something 'fresh' and make the stronghold a boat.

Caed Nua was pretty much a facebook game in POE, its inclusion was simply diminishing the game, with an obliteration of the 4th wall with multiple stupids quests/assaults forcing the player to teleport at the castle out of thin air to participate in battles that made no sense.

Erebus

Arcane
Once they're in control they pretty much restore order to the Deadfire?

At one point, one of the leaders of the Deadfire Company tells us that the Huana are too weak to ever become a strong nation. But later, Maia admits that the same dude sent her to assassinate someone who was trying to get the Huana to unite. While I'm sure they can restore order, they're also preventing others from doing so.

Heh. Speaking of that, I remember when the Vailians sent me to blow up the gunpowder magazine in the Brass Citadel. The Huana queen was mega-pissed. I wished there was an option to tell her "Queenie, shouldn't you more worried about the fact that they had so much fucking gunpowder in the first place ?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom