Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Patiently waiting for the early June patch. I hope "early June" doesn't mean the 14th.

Supermedo

Augur
This game, I don't know how to start:
+ The graphic is an improvement from the previous POE
+ Fast travel to a house in the city instead of going through multiple loading screens
- Loading still sucks even with SSD and 16 GB ram, Ubitsoft open world games load faster than this shit and it only load the entire world once.
+ Wizard spells are per encounter and not per rest
- Companions are bugged, I had xoti spoiler part of the main plot that I didn't reach yet.
- You can't take multiple bounties and each NPC live on a different island that you have to travel there to start the next bounty.
+ New AI editor
- How the fuck AI still walk through detected traps and trigger it, even first D:OS had this figured out.
- God Damn Loading times again, The Game give quest outside of the quest giver main area, so I have to travel to the different island to do it and come back to get my reward, at the same time the game spawns enemies when I have the quest in my log and not before that, at least with POE I can travel to area instantaneously but not I have to look at the ship while it sails to go to previously explored island and go through 5 or 6 loading screens to start figt that end in 20 seconds.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
On a separate note: my main gripe about the companions is how awful their stats/classes are in most of the cases. I don't know why they don't let us distribute their attributes and pick their classes/subclasses, IMO DoS2 did this one thing really well. I want to play with full-fledged characters integrated into the story but I also want to have a well-functioning party and I couldn't get both of these in one playthrough which is a shame.
I can't give ratings, so
:bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro::bro:

Quillon

Arcane
This game, I don't know how to start:
+ The graphic is an improvement from the previous POE
+ Fast travel to a house in the city instead of going through multiple loading screens
- Loading still sucks even with SSD and 16 GB ram, Ubitsoft open world games load faster than this shit and it only load the entire world once.
+ Wizard spells are per encounter and not per rest
- Companions are bugged, I had xoti spoiler part of the main plot that I didn't reach yet.
- You can't take multiple bounties and each NPC live on a different island that you have to travel there to start the next bounty.
+ New AI editor
- How the fuck AI still walk through detected traps and trigger it, even first D:OS had this figured out.
- God Damn Loading times again, The Game give quest outside of the quest giver main area, so I have to travel to the different island to do it and come back to get my reward, at the same time the game spawns enemies when I have the quest in my log and not before that, at least with POE I can travel to area instantaneously but not I have to look at the ship while it sails to go to previously explored island and go through 5 or 6 loading screens to start figt that end in 20 seconds.

For most bounties you don't have to return to the quest giver each time. All named ships are bounty targets and present any time, bounty targets on islands are present all the time, only targets that are in Neketaka & Dunnage appear after taking the quests for them.

Supermedo

Augur
For most bounties you don't have to return to the quest giver each time. All named ships are bounty targets and present any time, bounty targets on islands are present all the time, only targets that are in Neketaka & Dunnage appear after taking the quests for them.
Wait really, I thought ships names were randomly generated
:negative:

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Obsidian "fans" are in three categories:

1. Ex-Biodrones who want to fill their empty lives by romancing pixels
2. People who enjoyed MoTB, KOTOR2, and Alpha Protocol stories and wacky characters.
3. Codexers who think that the sequel of their previous BG clone is a big event in gaming and demands discussion.
Fixed.

Tigranes

Arcane
So I've been reading some reports about how the main quest is threadbare, and I've just had a (the?) big talk with the green dude.

It's weird. On one hand, I think some of POE2 is far better written than 1, and I really like how they wrote Eothas' dialogue. He's different from a melodramatic, manipulative type like Irenicus or Kreia, and despite his epoch-ending intentions, has nothing of the cringy Disney "HAHA DEATH COMES TO US ALL" shit like the Arcanum endboss. He's measured and calm, and someone who's been there and seen it all, closer in tone to your confrontation with Kelemvor at the end of MOTB. His journey, and the way it is disclosed to the player, is also done quite smoothly. I like it on the whole far more than the Thaos crap, and it's also a far better take on the whole gods issue so far (though I haven't seen the ending).

On the other hand, both POE1 & 2 suffer from the fact that the most interesting themes in the main story are not properly integrated into the whole game. The Hollowborn crisis and its visceral effects were easily the most powerful things about the POE1 story, but instead of the crisis taking its toll everywhere you go and infecting everything you do, it becomes one of many other threads - animancy, gods, etc. - that should synergise but end up diluting. By the time you get to the second city it's background noise. Similarly, here, even though you see certain hotspots with giant Eothas footprints, you never feel like you're chasing Eothas - there's no carnage, no urgency, no nothing, people just sometimes mention it like a seasonal flu. So there's again a great disconnect from the faction squabbling in the Deadfire and the island-hopping pirating in the summer sun, and the actual chase that you're on, which is why I suspect some people feel like it's too short.

Oh, and the narrator & narration is shit obviously, but it's easy enough to ignore.

Shadenuat

Arcane
For me biggest issue is that there is no player agency there. It's not like Kreia or even sudden villain out of the closet from Arcanum who could turn half of your party against you; you meet him a few times, you mash 1, that's it.

I think most Obsidian games had more player agency in their main quests than this.

Yes, his character might be potentially interesting. He is an undefeatable antagonist. But instead of enhancing the plot it just takes away from it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"I can give you a hand with the... spirity stuff." - After writing this sentence you would be insta-fired from my writing team.

Shadenuat

Arcane
- How the fuck AI still walk through detected traps and trigger it
The best part is enemies walking into their own traps in the dungeons

Joined Empraaaaaah

Fun because you storm palace and kill the queen and her tigers, but

the submarine is total garbage. enemy ships still notice you on the map (!) and only 2 cannons each side

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Build 1.1.0.0023 Updates

New Features & Updates
  • Intro Skip Added
    • There is now a Start & Skip Intro button that brings the player directly to the scene with Berath before character creation
  • Veteran & PotD Balance Improvements (Still in Progress!!)
    • Many encounters have had enemies added to the encounter to make them more interesting & challenging
  • Additional Custome AI support and updates:
    • All Conditionals have now been categorized in the Custom AI menu
    • The AI Toggle button now supports cycling through: Attacking while using Abilities, Attacking while not using Abilities, and Not using AI
    • AI now supports Switching Weapons and Attack Target Priorities
    • The following actions can now be conditionalized in Custom AI: Using Consumable quick slot items, Activating/Deactivating Modals, Switching Weapon Sets, and Basic Weapon Attacking
  • Ship Resupply
    • A new "Refill Ship Supplies" button can now be used to conveniently purchase ship supplies from any storefront that sells Medical Supplies, Cannon Shot, and Repair Supplies
  • Map Legend Added
    • A new Map Legend has been added that allows all icons on the World Map to be filtered by category
  • Character Appearance Improvements
    • Character Appearance can now be changed in-game via the Appearance button on the Inventory screen
    • Character Hairstyles are now rendered naturally with some Hats
    • Eye Color customization has been added
  • Graphics options expanded
    • New Toggles have been added to the Graphics menu to enable/disable certain visual features.
  • News Feed Updated
    • The News Feed on the Main Menu has been revamped to include links to the latest articles, DLC, and social media
Major Issues

• Leveling up characters with bonus weapon sets no longer causes a black screen
  • Resolved issue where a freeze could occur when starting a New Game on Mac
  • Resolved an issue that blocked users with certain permissions from loading saves.
  • Creating a multiclass character with spells and non-spell abilities no longer blocks character creation.
  • Many edge case crashes (reported by users) have also been resolved.
General Issues

• Retraining a character (Respec) will no longer remove learned talents & abilities such as watcher abilities nor purchased skill bonuses
  • Ships on the world map no longer move while time is stopped (If the player's vessel is not moving)
  • Watcher's can no longer purchase more supplies than their ship can hold
  • Eder & Xoti no longer repeat the same banter over and over.
Quest Issues (Potential Spoilers!)
  • Sealed Fate now fails if Degnos dies before the quest is completed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom