Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

grimlimp

Barely Literate
I dunno. I am happy with what theyve done so far. Especially with this patch, I seriously think this game will be surprise alot of folks. It has many small touches that really result in a great experience. Alot of things like the world design, writing, weapon balance/variety, armor design, lore, journal and creature design/beastiary are not getting talked about enough (and we havent even seen the stronghold yet). Also, while I understand that folks can get hung up on certain specific design decisions, the overall experience is incredibly positive - both in combat and outside of it.
I recently played through with a slightly more active party and no tanky character. It was fun and didnt feel overly tedious or pause infested. I used abilities often enough to keep myself engaged but not so much as to feel hassled. The recent changes to combat pacing have improved things significantly. I acknowledge that this is an homage to the IE games, but I treat this as its own game. I adjust to it and dont necessary expect that it must adjust to me.
Before, I felt combat was fine. Now its good. As they improve the UI and feedback, I am sure it will be great.
I doubt it will be well received.
I just I've been playing the beta during the weekend and people were right.
Apart from text dialogue and isometric view it plays nothing than any IE game.
The spells are incredibly bad where most of them just change numbers and the ones that actually do things beside that, like confusion, are insanely overpowered compared to the rest.
The combat is a visual menace and very boring where the majority of encounters feel like mmo grind pulling with the talent choice of autoattacking your way to victory or to no brain ability spamming as you can rarely make any use of it's effects and with the typical knockout mechanic where it doesn't matter half the time if someone gets knocked out.
The game isn't made for neither hardcore rpg gamers as it mainly promotes passive combat, or for casual gamers as the mechanics are very hard to learn and i could only play it because I kept up most of the updates or for IE fanboys as it lacks the freedom of playstyle (or abuse as some call it).

Last edited:

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just comparing the IE mirror image to the PoE one paints a clear picture as to how fucked the game is.

Rake

Arcane
No one plays Obsidian games for the combat. I expect people who like Obsidian and other storyfags will like the game very much dispite it's gameplay.
People who don't like Obsidian and pledged only because "IE successor" won't like the game. All in all, the game propably will meet a mixed reception, where some people will love it (similar to PST, assuming the content will be up to par) while others will dislike it because of the gameplay.
And there is a chance some people (outside of the original audience aka IE fans) will like the combat, after all even NWN2 abortion of a combat has fans

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game isn't made for neither hardcore rpg gamers as it mainly promotes passive combat

FYI, a lot of hardcore Infinity Engine fans on this forum will be overjoyed to hear this.

things beside that, like confusion, are insanely overpowered

And this too.

The Infinity Engine experience is a complex and multifaceted one. People had many different approaches towards playing these games.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Not Infinity Engine fans who actually give a shit about combat.

People who don't like Obsidian and pledged only because "IE successor" won't like the game.

This is probably me. While I don't not like Obsidian, I only like one of their games (KotOR 2) and the combat in it was pretty terrible.

Athelas

Arcane
It will be well received if it provides the 'full RPG package'. The vast majority of RPG fans doesn't care much about combat. The engagement system is one of the least debated topics on the Obsidian forums, despite it being one of the most critical components of combat gameplay.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
As of late it's been the most debated topic, but there have been topics that have been debated for a lot longer. There wouldn't be a debate about Engagement on the forums if I didn't start one, probably. At least there are people who actually recognize that it is a critical component in how the combat gameplay feels.

Shevek

Arcane
@grimplimp
A few points:
1. There are some good interesting spells but they are dpread amongst the spellcasting classes. I do agree that more spells would be nice but compare this to like BG1 before xpacs and sequels and the selection is pretty good. Might be nice to have sequencers and contingencies but those didnt come into play at the early levels anyways.
2. In early and early mid level IE, you mostly auto attacked. In this game, you can build a party to do far more from the get go. I dont find ability use to be mindless but this may due to different party composition. Ive done a few playthroughs now with a paladin, a dps fighter, a melee chanter, a priest, rogue and cipher. The lack of a tank fighter makes the game far more active. I also find myself using more diverse abilities as I familiarize myself on what they do.
3. You do not have to play passively but it is possible. Again, most IE classes were passive, so your anger at this is puzzling. But again, passive play is not necessay. I find this to be a strength in the game. You can craft a party active, passive or in between to suit your preferences. Also, the beta should be hard to learn. You are jumping in at level 5 with a nearly full party. The full game will start you at level 1.

Athelas

Arcane
As of late it's been the most debated topic, but there have been topics that have been debated for a lot longer.
Compared to the XP debate, which has dozens and dozens of very long threads, the engagement system is barely a blip on the radar, despite the method of XP rewards not really affecting how core gameplay feels.

There wouldn't be a debate about Engagement on the forums if I didn't start one, probably.
That, too.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Never played it. I might someday, but I am allergic to shitty frame rates and NWN2 runs bad.

The only Obsidian games I have played are KotOR2 and NWN2 vanilla. Not remotely interested in AP, NV or South Park.

so your anger at this is puzzling

Passive also implies passive movement, which is something I have complained about frequently. Despite what Josh says, in this game you stand still in combat.

Athelas

Arcane
By my estimation, it won't be until 2027 that computer technology has advanced enough to build a system that will be able to run NWN2 at 60 fps.

Sensuki

Arcane
Actually my AMD Athlon64 4200+ ran it pretty well (that was what I had when I played vanilla, back in 07). It's just that for some reason on every Intel CPU I have installed it on, it does not.

Shevek

Arcane
MotB is great. Story is amazing. Characters (not enough of them) are great. Put in Kaedrin's prestige class mod and it even has a decently robust character development system. But, ya, combat is NWN2 combat.

Edit: Also, you are missing out by not trying NV. The story is great, the DLCs for it are nice and there are some nice mods for it.

Sensuki

Arcane
Actually no I'm not. I hate the Bethesda engine, the gameplay is horrible. I would rather watch videos of the dialogue on youtube than play a game in that engine.

Rake

Arcane
Actually no I'm not. I hate the Bethesda engine, the gameplay is horrible. I would rather watch videos of the dialogue on youtube than play a game in that engine.
Read the Codex's LP. That's what i did and it's better than watching someone actualy play the game in video format.

Shevek

Arcane
Well, I liked NV. I remember modding in a custom radio station (with a cd set called "Rockin Bones" - rockabilly, it was perfect, even had 50s era grindhouse radio commercials) and making a cowboy style character (lever action rifles, revolvers and tnt). The game is a fun one to get lost in.

Seaking4

Learned
No one plays Obsidian games for the combat. I expect people who like Obsidian and other storyfags will like the game very much dispite it's gameplay.
People who don't like Obsidian and pledged only because "IE successor" won't like the game. All in all, the game propably will meet a mixed reception, where some people will love it (similar to PST, assuming the content will be up to par) while others will dislike it because of the gameplay.
And there is a chance some people (outside of the original audience aka IE fans) will like the combat, after all even NWN2 abortion of a combat has fans

Given that Obsidian have another 3 or 4 months to work on this, I'd think that they are expecting this game to be received pretty damn well. Like D:OS well. (By well I just mean metacritic score + general reaction I read on the internet which of course might be different for everybody).

If they can minimize the bugs and clean up combat, I think it will do well too.

Although I still think it will be funny if this game gets received and the story and dialogue are absolute crap.

grimlimp

Barely Literate
@grimplimp
A few points:
1. There are some good interesting spells but they are dpread amongst the spellcasting classes. I do agree that more spells would be nice but compare this to like BG1 before xpacs and sequels and the selection is pretty good. Might be nice to have sequencers and contingencies but those didnt come into play at the early levels anyways.
2. In early and early mid level IE, you mostly auto attacked. In this game, you can build a party to do far more from the get go. I dont find ability use to be mindless but this may due to different party composition. Ive done a few playthroughs now with a paladin, a dps fighter, a melee chanter, a priest, rogue and cipher. The lack of a tank fighter makes the game far more active. I also find myself using more diverse abilities as I familiarize myself on what they do.
3. You do not have to play passively but it is possible. Again, most IE classes were passive, so your anger at this is puzzling. But again, passive play is not necessay. I find this to be a strength in the game. You can craft a party active, passive or in between to suit your preferences. Also, the beta should be hard to learn. You are jumping in at level 5 with a nearly full party. The full game will start you at level 1.

When I said that mechanics are hard for casuals I don't mean combat, I mean like what is D.T., does sneak attack ignore it (it doesn't but I had to check to make sure), does sneak attack stack with other damage, what does prone effect do, what does dazed effect do, how does accuracy and deflection even work, etc.
These are all things you get at level 1 so unless you did some reading before this you have no idea what you're doing.

I probably made a mistake in my wording. So this might make some confusion in my reply when I say active, I don't really mean the ability spamming, I mean more with what you can actually do with them. Currently you use knockdown to just temporary stop damage and not to really use it to perform another action, as you don't need to. This is mainly what I feel is missing from this game. It's trying to be tactical but not really succeeding.

This isn't really an excuse if BG1 was like that. They know what worked in BG2 or IWD series so they can build from that. Baldur's Gate EE isn't as devoid of interesting actions as PoE is so you don't need
I did try the paladin and a custom party as well, after all I did see all the videos of people playing on the forum but I wasn't really impressed.
Able to heal with the paladin isn't really actively more challenging, and neither is the debuff suppression really.
You use them when you get hit by a debuff or when health becomes low, it just overwrites the actions of what you did with the priest so I don't see how it's different now somehow.
Other abilities are dps increase and are completely brainless, so use them as quickly as possible basically and they wont make any difference on how long you can go without rest.
I did play with cipher as well and I have to say that they were simply overpowered compared to most other classes. This is the only class that had really useful abilities but they either need to be toned down or other classes need to be brought on par.
And the chanter is the most passive class so I don't see how the game is more active with him. They do have invocations, or whatever they are called, but they take time to use so you can't really use them to counter something or use them in a clever way other than to increase damage or temporary lower it which is the same as any other ability. Yes they do have a knockback but it's a single gem out of many useless ones where you can actually do something with it, yet I have not seen anyone actually use it tactically, as there is no need to.
The summons are there for a laugh as all they really do is do more damage rather then allowing you to use them for something different like as a scapegoat to soak up some damage or something differently.

Like I mentioned before I made a mistake in wording with what I mean "actively" so I'll talk from a different stand point when I mean active. (Maybe I should have used the word "tactically"?)
Yes you are right you can play actively, however you get punished for almost every meaningful active action you take by either wasting a spell or losing health so you really have no motivation to actually do it.
I tried both ways, passively and actively and at the end of the day I needed to rest on the same spots. So if you don't need to play active meaningfully then why bother do it? To create more work for yourself?
For example there is a beetle that fires some kind of aoe shock blast at you that does 40-55 damage. I decided to try and be clever and interrupt it's attack with the level 1 wizard spell that's specifically made for this and even when it actually worked and didn't miss I ran out of spells pretty quickly so I had to press the rest button to be ready for the spiders in the cave.
Then I saw that I actually get better through this if I just run with my tank directly at the enemy so that the aoe shock blast hits the enemy as well which I think is just retarded gameplay btw, but because of low health I had to rest on the same spot again.
This was the most interesting thing I did in the beta and it happened in the first 3 seconds of combat, then it became the same tank and spank with damage/healing ability spamming.

If you have the exact party composition then maybe yes you're right, the game becomes more interesting but in most cases it happened once or twice per playthrough for me, the rest is just repeating the same thing every fight and I personally don't think that's really going to hold when new players come to the game.
It didn't really for me.

Given that Obsidian have another 3 or 4 months to work on this, I'd think that they are expecting this game to be received pretty damn well. Like D:OS well. (By well I just mean metacritic score + general reaction I read on the internet which of course might be different for everybody).

If they can minimize the bugs and clean up combat, I think it will do well too.

Although I still think it will be funny if this game gets received and the story and dialogue are absolute crap.
The game has quite a lot of combat to simply ignore it like you could in PST. The maps are filled with hostiles, which is even more than in the BG series, so we're probably looking at more at IWD number of combat encounters than BG.
As for NWN2 and DA:O
I think NWN series mostly rides on D&D success and it ability to create your own games with the modding tools that can with it, the game would probably not have the audience it has without it. Yes there are some that like NWN combat but in no way are they the majority so i wouldn't really count on that.
And DA:O had the cutscenes, visuals and voice acting to back it up so that attracted some of the main stream players, not to mention it was less buggy than PoE will probably ever be, knowing Obsidian history and seeing the state of the game atm.
PoE is intended for very niche type of players as it pretends to be a real time strategy game with pause while having the mechanics of a turn based game so it only works for people who like something in between, it has no popular brand backing it up, it won't have voice acting/cutscenes, it will probably be a bugfest and it has more combat than even storyfag PST fans will like.
I still don't think it will be well received wholly.
(before people start bashing this i don't care for cutscenes and voice acting either, but some do)

Sensuki

Arcane
It's trying to be tactical but not really succeeding.

Yes. This pretty much sums up the combat.

Yes they do have a knockback but it's a single gem out of many useless ones where you can actually do something with it, yet I have not seen anyone actually use it tactically, as there is no need to.

While I think some of the other invocations are pretty good, the knockback one sucks, as you say there's no need to use it. You're much better off doing one that does damage.

The summons are there for a laugh as all they really do is do more damage rather then allowing you to use them for something different like as a scapegoat to soak up some damage or something differently.

The summons are pretty banal, yep.

pretends to be a real time strategy game with pause while having the mechanics of a turn based game

Yep.

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
When I said that mechanics are hard for casuals I don't mean combat, I mean like what is D.T., does sneak attack ignore it (it doesn't but I had to check to make sure), does sneak attack stack with other damage, what does prone effect do, what does dazed effect do, how does accuracy and deflection even work, etc.
These are all things you get at level 1 so unless you did some reading before this you have no idea what you're doing.

Well, most casuals didnt get THAC0 or saving throws from the IE games either. They also didnt know that most stats didnt mean anything at assorted levels. Casuals probably didnt know about shorty saving throws or race based thieving skill bonuses either. Theres lots of stuff in the IE games that wasnt easy to get right away.

Other abilities are dps increase and are completely brainless, so use them as quickly as possible basically and they wont make any difference on how long you can go without rest.

Well, one can use that line of thinking to criticize anything in any game and make it seem like Progress Quest. This game is far less brainless than casting haste/rest spam and killing everything which is all you needed for most encounters in the IE games so long as you were geared (various spell cheese can handle the rest of the encounters).

I tried both ways, passively and actively and at the end of the day I needed to rest on the same spots. So if you don't need to play active meaningfully then why bother do it? To create more work for yourself?

Ya, basically. But some people dont see it as work I guess.

If you have the exact party composition then maybe yes you're right, the game becomes more interesting but in most cases it happened once or twice per playthrough for me, the rest is just repeating the same thing every fight and I personally don't think that's really going to hold when new players come to the game.
It didn't really for me.

Well, other than the occaisional set piece encounter (once or twice per playthrough), IE games had you repeating the same thing every fight too. So? Hell, most cRPGs Ive played, even the TB ones, this is true of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Currently you use knockdown to just temporary stop damage and not to really use it to perform another action, as you don't need to. This is mainly what I feel is missing from this game. It's trying to be tactical but not really succeeding.

and yet sensuki complains about engagement and the lack of tactical movement because of being hit... what about using those resources at hand to break free?

Sensuki

Arcane
Why would you bother?

Only a couple of classes have ways to deal with multiple Engagements and those ways cost character advancement points that could be spent on making the character better at combat. Furthermore, only one class (Rogue) has abilities that guarantee an escape, so it is always better to just play around the fact that once you are engaged, you don't move. Encounters are over pretty quickly as well, so any time spent not doing damage/attacking/etc is likely a waste of time, and means that whatever character is tanking will have less health because you didn't kill enemies faster.

Sensuki

Arcane
Josh on SA

On Skills, Abilities and Talents

rope kid said:
Skills are broad and all classes have access to them, though some classes start with a bonus to those Skills and your chosen Background also grants a bonus. Skills may have combat applications, but generally they are used in dialogue, interactions, or during exploration. Our original system granted 6 points to spend on Skills per level in a weighted (triangular progression) system. We experimented with using Talents as a means of advancing Skills, but it was not well received. In our next BB update, it will be something similar to the original system but with a better interface.

Abilities are always combat-oriented and always class-specific. All classes start with one fixed Ability. Non-casters (now) also pick one additional Per Encounter ability at 1st level. Casters pick one or more spells/powers/chants/invocations or receive a fixed list of them. Every odd level, non-caster characters receive an additional Ability. At odd levels, they usually receive two additional choices to add to their existing pool. There are exceptions to this (e.g. all fighters pick one Weapon Specialization group at 5th level) and some of the level 9 and level 11 Abilities may be moved to lower levels, giving more options at lower levels. Casters receive new spells/powers at different rates.

Talents may be class-specific or general. Most are combat-oriented. The class-oriented Talents may modify an existing Ability. Some Talents grant new active Abilities of their own. All classes receive one every even level. Talents are (now) divided into four categories: Class, Offensive, Defensive, and Utility. In the next BB update, these will appear on their own tabs during level up for easier sorting.

On talents and improving them

rope kid said:
We're a lot more likely to tune existing Talents than add new ones at this point.

There are a few common ways that options fail to appeal to players:

* Fundamentally unappealing. Whatever the math behind the option is, the basic concept of it just doesn't get a player excited. This is okay as long as the lack of appeal isn't widespread among all players.

* Narrow application. The math may be appealing, but the player doesn't see many opportunities for it to come up. The "slayer" type Talents fall into this category for some players, but there are only five creature "types" in PoE (Beast, Spirit, Vessel, Primordial, and Wilder) and they get pretty broad representation. If the application truly is narrow, broadening it can be a solution.

* Mathematically unappealing. This is actually the most basic thing to tune but gets overlooked by a lot of players. There was someone early on who said, "If Might affects all damage, I'm always going to max Might for all characters." I asked him if he would do that even if each point of Might only increased damage by 0.5% and other attributes affected their spheres of influence by 5% or 10% per point. He said no, of course not -- then it would be worthless.

If the idea of an option is appealing and it has a broad enough application, that usually means the answer is simply to tune the math.

rope kid said:
Sensuki said:
There is no way to increase Spell Accuracy like there is Weapon Accuracy. A Spell Focus talent that increases Accuracy of spells (Wizards, Druids, Cipher, Priests etc) would be cool. Monk's unarmed attack is not part of a weapon group, so you can't increase the accuracy of unarmed Fighting. I'd recommend adding it to Peasant or Ruffian talent group. And is unarmed a part of a weapon style? (such as single weapon style?) because I'm not sure if any weapon style talents work on it (unless you equip a shield).
All classes will likely receive a level-based bonus to Accuracy on any ability that does not use a weapon to provide its Accuracy bonus. Spells would be affected by this, as would offensive Abilities like the paladin's Deprive the Unworthy (but not something like the paladin's Flames of Devotion, since that's a weapon-based attack).

We have a bug in for fully unarmed fighting not falling under "Two Weapon". When that gets fixed we can likely address the Weapon Focus issue as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom