Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks, Sensuki. I don't read those forums, so it's good to see what he has to say.

Duraframe300

Arcane
And DA:O had the cutscenes, visuals and voice acting to back it up so that attracted some of the main stream players, not to mention it was less buggy than PoE will probably ever be, knowing Obsidian history and seeing the state of the game atm.

What?

Like what? DA:O isn't exactly a go to example for few bugs either.

Shevek

Arcane
I posted this on the PoE General Discussion forum. Its a playthrough/video preview of the latest backer beta for players who dont have beta access. Its not finished yet. I will try to record the last couple parts when I get back from work tonight.

LINK

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Obsidian thinks Barbarians R gud

rope kid said:
Frenzy now has a Zero Recovery 45 frame animation and is Per Encounter. Carnage is the default starting Ability for all barbarians and they choose between Barbaric Yell and Frenzy for their Per Encounter.

rope kid said:
The people who played barbarians in our play week all loved them. They don't shine unless they're in the middle of a mob, but when that happens (and it happens often), they tear things up.

There are three classes that are really designed to "hang out" up front for long periods of time: fighter, paladin, monk (arguably chanter, but their Endurance doesn't support it as well) -- all have base 35 Deflection. Rogues and barbarians can be up front, but they can't sustain being the center of attention for long (base 25 Deflection). Barbarians have the Endurance and Health to take the hits, but they need to dish out damage faster than the dudes around them. Rogues really can't deal with groups at all -- they have neither the Deflection nor the Endurance. But if they can isolate individual targets, no one is better equipped to take them down quickly.

Bobby Null played a barbarian with four companions and a rogue adventurer that he created and loved it. The barbarian would draw most of the attention and deal with the mob. If there was one really dangerous enemy in the group, the rogue would help the barbarian double-team it and take it out quickly.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Those quotes are in response to me complaining that Barbarians are underpowered. They can't tank and their DPS isn't great unless you're fighting a group. They need more base deflection at a minimum.

All class defenses have been updated this patch

rope kid said:
I don't think they've had 5 for quite a while. The strings were recently updated to reflect the current values, but the spread is currently

Fighter 35 Rogue 25 Priest 25 Wizard 20 Barb 25 Ranger 30 Druid 30 Paladin 35 Monk 35 Cipher 30 Chanter 35

So maybe they are right. I haven't played a Barbarian this patch other than to test disengagement abuse.

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
Awesome. Barb defense number listed was so low that I avoided them. Those numbers are pretty good actually.

Athelas

Arcane
So what does the Frightened status effect? It doesn't appear to do anything, so is it bugged? If you can't make enemies run away in fear like headless chicken like in the IE games, I will be pissed. :argh:
Plus, it would be the most powerful status ailment since enemies running away would suffer massive disengagement attacks. :lol:

I tried a monk for the first time and it was surprisingly fun. I liked the micro of building up wounds. Although that may have just been the visceral pleasure of beating Dyrford villagers to death with my bare fists.

Sensuki, would it be possible to mod out the separation between combat state and non-combat state?

Athelas

Arcane
To what end? Allow prebuffs?
Quite a few of the abilities/spells are locked until you enter combat, not just pre-buffs. Plus, it's not like you can reliably pre-buff in this game anyway, with the lack of hard counters and such.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For that, removing the separation between combat and non-combat is not what you need.

Unlocking abilities out of combat should be easy. How they'll work out of combat is another question. But chances are, they'll work just fine.

And if they don't work well, then combat should be initiated when they're cast, so as to not break them. Would require more work, but should be doable as well.

Athelas

Arcane
It's pretty funny how they did a better job on non-combat gameplay when the game is supposed to be combat-heavy. I just stealthed past a Skaen guard patrolling and into a side chamber where I quickly killed a lone Skaen cultist and quickly went back into stealth mode right before the Skaen guard returned on his patrolling route. And picking locked chests with the entire party selected automatically selects the character with the highest mechanics skill to do it. Disarming traps is similarly without UI hassle.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
So what does the Frightened status effect?

Some debuffs, look it up on the wiki. It reduces some combat stats like Accuracy and shit I think.

It's pretty dumb how there's no fear, and no spells to increase your defense against fear ... but there's a Talent that does it :S

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Are they ever going to reduce the size of selection circles? They are still way too big FFS.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I am sorry if it had been already explained and discussed. I heard somewhere that there is not going to be any XP for killing enemies, just XP for completing main and side quests. Does anyone know if it is true at all??

Athelas

Arcane
It's true, but it actually works out fine because you don't want to go into combat, trust me. :happytrollboy:

Weasel
I am sorry if it had been already explained and discussed. I heard somewhere that there is not going to be any XP for killing enemies, just XP for completing main and side quests. Does anyone know if it is true at all??
Not this again :lol: (endless flame wars on this subject)

There wasn't going to be, but they've partially rowed-back and now are including 'bestiary xp' where you get some xp after killing a few of a type of monster and 'unlocking the bestiary info'.

For a full discussion, why not read this thread from start to finish...

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-xp-for-combat-megathread-discuss.93696/

GloomFrost

Arcane
Not this again :lol: (endless flame wars on this subject)

There wasn't going to be, but they've partially rowed-back and now are including 'bestiary xp' where you get some xp after killing a few of a type of monster and 'unlocking the bestiary info'.

For a full discussion, why not read this thread from start to finish...

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-xp-for-combat-megathread-discuss.93696/

OK Thanx. No dont worry, no flame wars from me, just wanted to be sure.

polo

Magister
Wat, no XP for combat?
All is lost!! All is lost i say! Stupid codex storyfags, im hardcorez gamer, this is not IE game, i want money back!
:x
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom