Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reading all this stuff, I recall this:
Josh Sawyer said:
That's genuinely cool, but we didn't Kickstart a game called Fuck You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience where I do whatever I personally think is sound and neat and good. For better or worse, this was pitched as an IE-like game.
I wonder what's his personal dream RPG experience, and how different from PoE it would be... he doesn't seem to be holding back that much on controversial changes to the IE formula.

We know that it would be turn-based and classless.

I'm sure there more dignifying jobs for him than dragging a bunch of fans of a real-time-with-elves Bioware game kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
About your discussions on choice, leveling up etc: is it just not the case that many feats have not been implemented yet? Maybe the goal is to have a lot more choice in character generation at release?

Also very good ofcourse of you guys to discuss this bbut I feel some people are kind of lost in the details. All in all this looks like a very promising, enjoyable game with some unfortunate flaws. In other words, it will not be perfect but it will still be Majestic incline.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

I'm sure there more dignifying jobs for him than dragging a bunch of fans of a real-time-with-elves Bioware game kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Such as designing popamole casual crap? Russian MMORPG? Tablet card game?

P.S. That real-time-with-elves Bioware game puts most of your precious 21st century games to shame in far too many regards.

Duraframe300

Arcane

P.S. That real-time-with-elves Bioware game puts most of your precious 21st century games to shame in far too many regards.

Sawyer is involved in exactly 0 of those.

Also what?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well, I didn't say they were jobs he would ever actually get to do. :M

Although after Obsidian has gained its financial independence, who knows?

Also, what's 21st century about PoE, besides the graphics?

Well, for one thing, 3rd Edition D&D is 21st century. FFS we have people here yearning for the days of mages who can't hold swords, and complaining at the same time about this game's lack of choice and customization. Holy crap.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, what's 21st century about PoE, besides the graphics?
Well, for one thing, 3rd Edition D&D is 21st century.
So? PoE isn't 3rd Edition D&D.

FFS we have people here yearning for the days of mages who can't hold swords, and complaining at the same time about this game's lack of choice and customization. Holy crap.
You know those aren't excludent, right? BG2 mages and clerics cannot use swords, but you have tons of customization options, thanks to tons of spells, game changing items and to multi-classing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So? PoE isn't 3rd Edition D&D.

Well, it is in many ways a hybrid of 3rd Edition and 4th Edition. You could say that it's probably similar to the sort of D&D CRPG we would have gotten a few years back if WOTC hadn't gone full retard with lcensing.

But we're going off topic here.

You know those aren't excludent, right? BG2 mages and clerics cannot use swords, but you have tons of customization options, thanks to tons of spells, game changing items and to multi-classing.

Sure, but some consistency would be nice. It's interesting to me that you have the "I want archetypes!" crowd here on the one hand, and the "I want customization!" crowd on the other hand, but they don't seem to realize that they're actually arguing against each other.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Roby speaks

The day the beta went out, everyone on the team still had a sizable list of issues and improvements to work on, half of which you guys have already pointed out. The leads and QA will go through suggestions and bugs and write up anything new that you guys have found that we want to address. QA specifically will attempt to reproduce new bugs mentioned and write up a more detailed issue for the proper team member to work on.

Once we have a noticeable amount of improvements in and we have ensured that the build is in a releasable condition, an update will be pushed. There are no hard dates planned for that but, more than likely you can expect an update every few weeks or so, at least early on.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sure, but some consistency would be nice. It's interesting to me that you have the "I want archetypes!" crowd here on the one hand, and the "I want customization!" crowd on the other hand, but they don't seem to realize that they're actually arguing against each other.
Not really, you can have customizable archetypes, with sub-specializations.

Sawyer keeps talking about his "strong mage" and "intelligent warrior", but we have had battlemages and spellswords for decades. And it was a meaningful choice, not "mage that deals +20% melee damage" or "warrior with 15% longer spell duration".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Sawyer keeps talking about his strong mage and the intelligent warrior, but we have had spellswords and battlemages for decades. And it was a meaningful choice, not "mage that deals +20% melee damage" or "warrior with 15% longer spell duration".

Those were kits, right? The "patches" he mentioned in the video I posted in the last page. Not an organic part of a holistic ruleset.

Not really, you can have customizable archetypes, with sub-specializations.

Well, there are people who hate even that. They want archetypes and archetypes only.

Gozma

Arcane
Reading all this stuff, I recall this:
Josh Sawyer said:
That's genuinely cool, but we didn't Kickstart a game called Fuck You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience where I do whatever I personally think is sound and neat and good. For better or worse, this was pitched as an IE-like game.
I wonder what's his personal dream RPG experience, and how different from PoE it would be... he doesn't seem to be holding back that much on controversial changes to the IE formula.

Jesus the dude is distancing himself from this being judged as a Josh Sawyer joint

They should retitle it "Josh Sawyer's (smaller font) Pillars of Eternity" and have him dressed up in medieval armor with elf ears on the box cover menacing the camera with a bec-de-corbin

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Those were kits, right? The "patches" he mentioned in the video I posted in the last page. Not an organic part of a holistic ruleset.
What this even mean? Do you or Sawyer really believe that people design RPGs without thinking about ramifications and specializations, simply because it isn't in the core book? Not to mention than various other games had those classes and sub-specializations. Even Daggerfall had them, with a nice degree of consequence for playing it (can't use plate armor nor tower shield).

Hell, D&D Next has the Eldritch Knigh, a spellsword, built in the Player's Handbook from the start, as a specialization of the Warrior. There, they learned from the past and incorporated "patches" into the core rules. Much better approach then simply saying "it's a patch" and ignoring it. What's the point of making a RPG "in the 21st century" if you'll ignore the previous decades of experience?

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Once we have a noticeable amount of improvements in and we have ensured that the build is in a releasable condition, an update will be pushed. There are no hard dates planned for that but, more than likely you can expect an update every few weeks or so, at least early on.

compared to other devs (like bohemia) this sounds a bit disappointing. as soon as a few bugs got squashed or a missing feature was implemented a new build was compiled and published - often on a weekly, and sometimes on an almost daily basis. they have a closed environment, tons of testers, steam... what exactly stops them from using all this advantages? releasable condition in a beta?! are we talking about early access now?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What this even mean? Do you or Sawyer really believe that people design RPGs without thinking about ramifications and specializations, simply because it isn't in the core book?

Basically yes. He thinks if a system needs weird expansions to support it then it's not a good system.

Anyway, earlier ITT I said that Pillars' stats don't have a deep impact, but I'd like to tentatively retract that statement now. It's something I'd need to see for myself before deciding if it was really true.

It may be one of those things where it looks like they don't have an impact, but they actually do. How many of you people have actually playtested this game with a wide variety of characters with a wide variety of attribute selections, and seen how they hold up?

compared to other devs (like bohemia) this sounds a bit disappointing. as soon as a few bugs got squashed or a missing feature was implement a new build was compiled and published - often in a weekly, and sometimes on an almost daily basis. they have a closed environment, tons of testers, steam... what exactly stops them from using all this advantages? releasable condition in a beta?! are we talking about early access now?

It may be disappointing compared to Bohemia, but it's par for the course for most Kickstarter/Early Access devs.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yeah there are no harry potter bony-ass cracka-wizards in PoE. if you want to pack a punch with fireballs you better eat red meat, bitch.

k1ZEHZH.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom