Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd like to try it Blaine

I may be dq'd though, not sure.

Edit: I have received a key from agris no need now

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Sure, gnognards would bitch,"

Funny thing is that Sawyer often shows himself to be a grognard. LMAOOf course, anyone who is intelligent knows that Sawyer's use of grognard is justa way for him to insult those who disagree with him by painting them in as negative light as possible.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Sure, gnognards would bitch,"

Funny thing is that Sawyer often shows himself to be a grognard. LMAOOf course, anyone who is intelligent knows that Sawyer's use of grognard is justa way for him to insult those who disagree with him by painting them in as negative light as possible.
Most grognards I know wear the label as a badge of honor.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Who forbids tweaking damage per individual weapon: a Might point makes +1 dmg for a dagger, but a +5 dmg for a sledgehammer (or whatever values make sense)?
That's how percentages WORK, bro. 10% of 20 is +2 while 10% of 50 is +5. Do you even math?

Hormalakh

Magister
Eh, you realize you're basically arguing my case for me here, right?

The insignificance between 10 and 18 is chiseled into stone when you realize how small the difference would be between 38 and 48. In other words, if such a potion exists, it shows just how little your choices at character generation matter.

lol, awesome :lol:

So you know how this is fixed right? You make the effects either exponential or you unlock certain effects at certain "levels" of attributes. For example, with constitution, you get 0.5% for the first 3-10 points, 1.5% for the next 11-14 and then 2.5% for points 15-18. >18 you get 4%.

Or first 3-12 points effects only health, 13-18 effects stamina.

That would be much more interesting and more impactful.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And far too complicated for Sawyer's design philosophy. Never going to happen.

Cromwell

Arcane
If the beta key is still to be had I would take it. I would say things like down with feminism and all hail patriarchy if that makes you feel better about me.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Somebody dug through the p2_cv_pool.stringtable file and discovered that

you can sacrifice the pre-made companions to a dark entity for a power boost to the PC

I'll probably do that since I prefer playing games without those things anyway.

Rake

Arcane
Perhaps he assumes most players won't look that deeply into the exact functionality of the attributes. He might be right. Certainly not everybody goes berzerk when they see a percentage instead of an absolute modifier in a stat's tooltip.
Josh said:
given the choice between obfuscating a mechanic to appeal to irrationality and removing a mechanic entirely if it may be considered superfluous in the grand scheme of things, I'd prefer the latter.

Hormalakh

Magister
Another thing they can do with the int is again to "stratify" it: int 3-7 you get a much smaller AoE but it only affects the first three people in the circle. 8-14: larger AoE with up to 6 people. 15-18: even larger with up to 10 people. >18: huge AoE with infinite people.

Hormalakh

Magister
And far too complicated for Sawyer's design philosophy. Never going to happen.

Why complicated? Sawyer needs to fucking man up and realize that his shit isn't impactful and that he needs to exponentialize the effects. Ultimately he needs to counter-balance the effect of everyone trying to go 10 all across the board with the actual consideration that jumping over to the next level of points is an interesting strategic consideration.

Weasel
Josh said:
given the choice between obfuscating a mechanic to appeal to irrationality and removing a mechanic entirely if it may be considered superfluous in the grand scheme of things, I'd prefer the latter.

Look at what the POE beta is doing to us, the Josh-quoting epidemic is spreading...

I posted my first Josh quote earlier :oops:

Hormalakh

Magister
"Interesting. Source?"

As Imweasel stated.

Early on, when OBS was hinting at no combat/kill xp lots of people make a stink about it. Feargue rushed in said he was siding with those and he promised he would have a 'talk' with the designers about it to get it changed. Obviously that talk didn't go in Feargus' favor. Obviously, I'm being ove the top as I'm sure even Sawyer isn't dumb enoguh to literally tell his boss to 'fuck off' but it's obvious Sawyer 'won' the argument.

That's bullshit because there are just as many people who are totally fine and even fight FOR no combat XP. Stop bullshitting.Sawyer "won" because ultimately there wasn't a vocal minority or a majority in that case.

Rake

Arcane
No kill XP was the one unquestionably good decision Sawyer made, and anyone that disagrees is a Volourn

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Volly is one of the best posters in this thread.

Take that how you will.

roshan

Arcane
"Interesting. Source?"

As Imweasel stated.

Early on, when OBS was hinting at no combat/kill xp lots of people make a stink about it. Feargue rushed in said he was siding with those and he promised he would have a 'talk' with the designers about it to get it changed. Obviously that talk didn't go in Feargus' favor. Obviously, I'm being ove the top as I'm sure even Sawyer isn't dumb enoguh to literally tell his boss to 'fuck off' but it's obvious Sawyer 'won' the argument.

That's bullshit because there are just as many people who are totally fine and even fight FOR no combat XP. Stop bullshitting.Sawyer "won" because ultimately there wasn't a vocal minority or a majority in that case.

Sawyer "won" because of a ton of geeky message board fanwhores who have nothing better to do than virtually fellate him. In the "real world" I doubt it's likely that this "no combat XP" will go over well. I'm pretty sure several of the BG series fans I know would actually stop playing the game if there was no XP for combat

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The average mainstream gamer is going to get halfway through character creation, glance at some of the attribute descriptions, and then hit the uninstall button and never look back.

Rake

Arcane
"Interesting. Source?"

As Imweasel stated.

Sawyer "won" because of a ton of geeky message board fanwhores who have nothing better to do than virtually fellate him. In the "real world" I doubt it's likely that this "no combat XP" will go over well. I'm pretty sure several of the BG series fans I know would actually stop playing the game if there was no XP for combat
Codex and Obsidian forums are taking it just fine. The "real world" BG series fans propably like DA:O as well, and they won't care about such a detail

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Codex and Obsidian forums are taking it just fine. The "real world" BG series fans propably like DA:O as well, and they won't care about such a detail

This is not what a unified fanbase looks like:

iJxiayH.png

And that is where the abolute sycophants hang out.

I'm not sure I agree with felipepepe's points about why percentages look worse in terms of presentation, but I certainly agree that they do.
There's also the fact that % usually comes together with shitty itemization and smaller upgrades. You can't make an item that gives 0,25 THAC0, but you can make one that gives 1,5% bonuses to something.

yup, I associate % with horrible randomized items. The best itemization is like what existed in IWD and BG where you get unique hand placed and items with names and a back-story. That is cool. Even if the dagger is only +2, but has a cool name and back story it is much more interesting than some random sword of +2.5% physical damage, 3.8% poison damage and +1.5% defense bonus. Its hard to get excited when you then upgrade to a sword with 3.1% physical damage, 4.2% fire damage, 1.2% ice damage and +1% defense bonus. Oooooohh! I added up all the bonuses they were 1.4% more!!! What a magical, mysterious world of percentages to explore!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That's bullshit because there are just as many people who are totally fine and even fight FOR no combat XP. Stop bullshitting.Sawyer "won" because ultimately there wasn't a vocal minority or a majority in that case."

The polls suggest otherwise. Even people who were on Sawyer's side pre beta are now slowly turning their back on his bullshitz.

This isn't SRR. No xp for killz in SRR worked. Never once while playing that game did I feel unrewarded or 'screwed over' XP wise. Even BL wasn't horrible about it until near the end. Bottom line ihe is fukkin' things up. It is possible to have a good xp system with no xp per kill but Sawyer's system isn't accomplishing that.

He done fucked up. JUST ADMIT IT GROGNARDS.

FFS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom