Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Gameplay Video, Previews and Interviews

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Keep watching. They'll offer that as well.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Keep watching. They'll offer that as well.

I've watched the IGN video from beginning to the end (the one embedded on the OP doesnt work for me :/ ) and there was nothing like that interface thing I mentionend. :|

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The UI really isn't that good for now. I like the GUMPS and stuff, but the main interface could use a bit of polish. Bigger icons/portraits would help me, for example.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You clearly haven't played Darklands. Probably too old-school for you."

L0L Where I'm from, Darklands is labeled the new shit.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Holy mother of :yeah:

Three observations though:
1. I hope I understood correctly and that you can remove the bars above your characters.
2. Here's hoping the alternative block-style UI will look better.
3. As someone already said, the body models are kinda bland and ugly.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
3. As someone already said, the body models are kinda bland and ugly.
I don't really mind this since it's pretty zoomed out most of the time and the models look great from that distance ingame, displaying them very prominently at character creation and the big 3d paperdoll does make them look pretty sucky though. I would replace the model display with a portrait instead in the character creation and the inventory one with a 2d better looking generic character paperdoll drawing, that would be p. snazzy.

Copper

Savant
Looking pretty nice - well, not really sold on the Biamhac (Lens Flair is the filter that steals your soul, not Clouds) but apart from that, very nice. Unlike Volourn, I think the text adventures are great.
Also, lots of intact arches. :troll:

Kind of a shame they didn't flick through a few more options in terms of race, just a human, and a human with a rubber head, or a few of the other culture backgrounds, but I really liked the way your culture changed the style of your kit. (Although default model being barbarian is p. dumb, and brings back NWN2 memories best left repressed.) Actually, Xu is right, it would be far smarter to pick your sex/race with filtered portraits first, something to give people an imaginative seed to build the character on, then the body once you pick class and background.

Also, more info needed in character creation on actual hard differences. I can't believe after all the talk of accessibility, etc, they don't give you a tab so you can see the value of your points investment in actual real terms, or something like the mockup character sheet - not just a descriptive x helps with y & z. Hopefully actual backers will look for this in the beta.

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, my reaction to that character creation screen was: 'zoom the fuck out, don't show your cheap-ass 3d models upfront'. Or better yet, have character creation happen within a view of the opening map, then when you're done, you can transition seamlessly into the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know why Absurdian repeated the same damn mistake Wasteland 2 did.

Brandon Adler is as bad as Brennecke when it comes to playing RPGs. It's even worse considering he's probably played through this section dozens of times.

Select all->auto-attack combat isn't the most inspiring demonstration you fuckers. I expect better results from backer beta videos.

PS Kevin VanOrd is a dummy who couldn't be more wrong about D:OS being "evolutionary" and PoE being a "clone."

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Select all->auto-attack combat isn't the most inspiring demonstration you fuckers. I expect better results from backer beta videos.
This was the E3 demo video, not the backer beta video.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Looks good both in terms of visuals and c&c, but as others have pointed out, full screen ui is a non-negotiable feature, this modern modular ui concept needs to die in fantasy rpgs

AMG

Arbiter
Select all->auto-attack combat isn't the most inspiring demonstration you fuckers.
But it's true. Also what he was supposed to do? Pause at random intervals and pretend to do some tactical maneuvers :lol:?

Dorateen

Arcane
Since I intend to use a custom party Icewind Dale style, I think I will start six different games, each with a different character, playing through to the first town/hub/wherever the nearest Adventurer's Hall is. There, after deciding which one to make the Main Character (as absurd a concept that is to me) I will re-create the other five characters in the Adventurers Hall. Thus linking up and gathering the party before goddamn venturing forth!

Fireblade

Erudite
They will go on Kickstarter anyway to get more money.
90%+ of sales revenue via Kickstarter. 70% of sales revenue via Steam. Plus, some people are willing to pay a lot more than the standard purchase price on Kickstarter just to support the developer. Just have to avoid crazy physical rewards that end up costing you money/time in the end.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Select all->auto-attack combat isn't the most inspiring demonstration you fuckers.
But it's true. Also what he was supposed to do? Pause at random intervals and pretend to do some tactical maneuvers :lol:?
1) Tune Hard difficulty for IE veterans.
2) Demonstrate the game on hard.

The first battles of DA:O made RPG noobs scream bloody murder because it retained its "this is for pc rpg players" design. No auto-attack-to-win there (at least for the city elf origin).

PatataFamilia

Novice
I think it might have been better if they had shown a video of two parties facing off first in some random woodland map. How tactical can you get with two people? I wouldn't be surprised if the didn't do this because mages are still shooting generic cylinders and spheres.

That said, the demos did show a few light tactical touches. The barbarians' rush and frenzy was used several times, the wolves and fighters used their knockdown, and the IGN video had some brutal disengagement attacks.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. They nailed the atmosphere, and the combat and narrative systems clearly have the bones in place.

AMG

Arbiter
1) Tune Hard difficulty for IE veterans.
2) Demonstrate the game on hard.

The first battles of DA:O made RPG noobs scream bloody murder because it retained its "this is for pc rpg players" design. No auto-attack-to-win there (at least for the city elf origin).
I think your frame of reference might be off. These are the first 20 minutes of the game. I bet by this time in DAO you aren't doing anything else besides rightclicking whatever is there to rightclick in a given origin.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know why Absurdian repeated the same damn mistake Wasteland 2 did.

Does the game have paperdolls at all? If not, it's because That Shit Costs Money(tm). Replicating all your 3D equipment models with a 2D drawn version is something of a luxury feature with a limited budget.

Or do you mean the mistake is that they zoomed in? I guess they thought doing it like in Icewind Dale 2 would be weird. Which it is.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Fast animations with glances and low damage and bloated hp make combat look very unlethal and unengaging.

almondblight

Arcane
I don't really mind this since it's pretty zoomed out most of the time and the models look great from that distance ingame, displaying them very prominently at character creation and the big 3d paperdoll does make them look pretty sucky though.

The 3D character model standing there and slowly bobbing up and down like he's in the damn ocean is also getting annoying. A static pick is better:

medium.jpg

But I guess people like playing dress up and seeing how different suites of armor look on their character before choosing one.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck all the haters. Heil sawyer! I request a blood oath with roguey! This tickles my nostalgia parts, and I can no longer be reliably objective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom