Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Damn I wasn't expecting grieving mother to be that high.
Yeah,it is strange. To me she felt more of a Torment material than happy go lucky fantasy adventure.

Sentinel

Arcane

Because Avellone cocklick.

If it was by a random writer, she would be on pair with Pallegina

No she wouldn't you faggot. She's the best companion. Deal with it.
I bet if I ask you why you're gonna start talking about wanting to fuck her cloaca and wondering what her armpits smell like, like every fucking degenerate that likes Pallegina.

Cross

Arcane

The people voting aren't us, they wouldn't be aware of who wrote what. I lost track of how many times I saw some internet post somewhere praising Avellone for PoE's or New Vegas' main story despite his lack of involvement with those.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,it is strange. To me she felt more of a Torment material than happy go lucky fantasy adventure.
PoE is everything but a happy go lucky fantasy adventure.
Well there is a lot of darkness if you stop and think about it,but that is with all the rpgs. The most dark thing for me was the baby undeads,the art design was unnerving.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I don't think she's any more commonly seen than Eder. Why wouldn't a returning companion from the first game be prominently displayed
Because she's one of the least popular companions, and you have Edér returning, who is the most popular one?
*the least popular:

ncPS1Mz.png

As it should be, she wouldn't let me hit her cloaca so there was no point of having her in my party, end of story.

Trashos

Arcane
Is Pallegina Sawyers dream girl or something? I see her in every preview thingy he does.

She is a black female. Incloosiveness, reaching out to new demographics etc.

In terms of marketing, I guess you promote Eder and Pallegina, and everybody is happy.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Pallegina's side quest is the only one I'd gladly see some form of follow-up in the sequel. Good occasion to give more substance to the republics which already are an important faction.
Eder and Aloth are, like, the base companions. Can be useful in any situation. Voiced by the same VA, which is a plus. Both are very much open to the world and having them react to a context which is just as alien to them as it is to the player is pretty cool.
Come to think of it, there's little sense in bringing GM or Durance in Deadfire. These guys were so strongly tied to the Dyrwood, I really don't see how they could have worked in the sequel. Which is also why they got replaced by new guys who, as far as i can tell, seem indeed bound to the archipelago.

Mazisky

Magister

The people voting aren't us, they wouldn't be aware of who wrote what. I lost track of how many times I saw some internet post somewhere praising Avellone for PoE's or New Vegas' main story despite his lack of involvement with those.

Not sure.

But i am pretty sure that Avellone buttlickers may create an account just to vote her and Durance, while jerking off all togheter and cumming on Avellone posters.

Unfortunately for them, average and healthy people voted too, so Eder got the crown, a character that doesn't need to be edgy to be appreciated (unlike Durance and GM)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Which of the new companions might be interesting enough to keep around?

Who are the returning companions from Pillars of Eternity?
The few familiar faces in the Pillars 2 companion roster have spent the last few years outside your orbit. They’ve been living with the consequences of your influence on them - whether you nudged them in a particular philosophical direction or, er, got them killed. Bit of a full stop in the old ‘personal development’ diary, that one. The first name you’ll recognise belongs to...

Edér

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20eder.png

The companions Obsidian have chosen to bring back all have some kind of personal stake in the divine events of Deadfire - and nobody has a horse in the race like Edér. In Pillars 1 he was a persecuted worshipper of Eothas, patron deity of the losing side in a recent war.

During the course of the game, he came to question the nature of his faith, and ended up either leading an underground group of Eothasians or reviving the town of Dyrford - effectively choosing between faith and country.

Whichever way it went, however, Edér isn’t done with spiritual matters - not least because Pillars 2 finds his god bursting from the ground beneath your stronghold and zipping off into the tangible world. That’s the sort of sign you can’t ignore.

Unless you’re dead. Which Edér might be, depending on how well you looked after him in the first game. If that’s the case, he’s not going to be grappling with anything, and certainly won’t be joining your party again to swing a sword. To be clear: if your imported save file contains a dead Edér, he won’t appear in Pillars 2 at all. How’s that for consequences?

Aloth

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20aloth.png

Aloth is the elven wizard best remembered for sharing his body with a personality from a past life. He has a history of opposition to animancy, the science of soul manipulation, and can end Pillars 1 leading an organisation dedicated to stopping the practice - all in the name of keeping the gods’ secrets. He too, then, has a vested interest in the fate of a god who has suddenly become not very secretive at all.

If you pick him up as a companion in Deadfire, you’ll notice he’s changed - dropping the deference and, Obsidian’s hints suggest, embracing his second personality.

All of which becomes moot if, uh, you sacrificed him to the blood pool in Dyrford’s ruins. He’s not coming back from that.

Pallegina

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20pallegina.png

You might recall that Pallegina was the paladin with a name like sparkling water and hair like a bird, who played an ambassadorial role for the Vailian Republics. The Vailians are an active colonial force in the area of the Deadfire, and so she finds herself in the archipelago just as your turn up in Pillars of Eternity 2.

In the last game she was picking between conscience and duty - and depending on which way you pushed her, she’ll either start the sequel as a respected champion or a disgraced soldier who disobeyed orders. Or perhaps as a Kind Wayfarer, helping out the needy at the expense of status.

Unless, of course, you’ve got her killed too. Surely you can’t have got them all killed. There’s tragedy, and then there’s carelessness.

Who are the new companions in Pillars of Eternity 2?
Xoti

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20xoti.png

Funded by a Fig campaign stretch goal, Xoti will bring the Pillars 2 companion roster to a total of seven.

She isn’t native to Deadfire, but has been around longer than most - having fled to the archipelago in her childhood to avoid the Saint’s War. Xoti comes from a farming family, and wields a sickle - on account of her devotion to the aspect of Eothas responsible for the harvest. She’s intrigued by Eothas’ new manifestation, but worries it’ll lead to still more war.

Sawyer says to expect clashes with Edér, who has his own, strongly-held views about the god of light and renewal.

Maia

pillars%20of%20eternity%202%20companions%20maia%20serafen.png

Maia is one of the vaguely aquatic aumaua, but as a ranger she prowls on-land environments with her colourful, eagle-like companion Ishiza. She’s come to Deadfire as a colonist - a ship’s captain for the powerful navy of Rauatai.

Her mission up to now has been an ambassadorial one, accompanying a courtier in an attempt to win over the native Huana people. Maia is fantastically experienced when it comes to fighting and steering ships - not so much when it comes to politics and espionage. When you find her, she’s adapting.

Serafen

Serafen is a curious mix of barbarian and cipher - one of the psychological warriors of the Pillars universe. More pertinently, he’s a pirate - born into slavery, pressed into service as a rigger and “powder monkey”, before seizing his own destiny on the high seas.

As an orlan, Serafen looks sort of cute and Furby-like. But as a member of the Príncipi sen Patrena, the strongest pirate force around Deadfire, he’s become a feared “ship hunter”. There’s bubbling disunion among the Príncipi, though, and as the game begins Serafen is worried he’ll see his corsair community split apart.

Trashos

Arcane
Unfortunately for them, average and healthy people voted too, so Eder got the crown, a character that doesn't need to be edgy to be appreciated (unlike Durance and GM)

"Eder is your racist uncle."
Josh Sawyer

Sentinel

Arcane
Come to think of it, there's little sense in bringing GM or Durance in Deadfire. These guys were so strongly tied to the Dyrwood, I really don't see how they could have worked in the sequel.
Seems to me like there is plenty of reason to bring Durance back. His ending is basically "Next time on Dragon Ball Z..."

q1eCwG8.png

ulmwGsm.png

Ent

Savant
The chanter/druid godlike aumaua sounds neat if only because thats actually a pretty cool class combination. Have they mentioned if we can choose each characters subclass?

I didn't mind Pallegina. Thought she was far more interesting than Aloth or Maneha. Eder and Hiravias were the best. Zahua and Devil were also okay. Durance was a mixed bag and GM was undercooked.

So has the godlike aumaua been cut? Or is his character just too closely tied to the main narrative for them to divulge details in previews?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So has the godlike aumaua been cut? Or is his character just too closely tied to the main narrative for them to divulge details in previews?

No, the article Kem0sabe posted is old, from before they revealed him.

The chanter/druid godlike aumaua sounds neat if only because thats actually a pretty cool class combination. Have they mentioned if we can choose each characters subclass?

You can choose how they're multiclassed but not a subclass: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/167523609431/you-said-there-are-only-three-class-options-for

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected

What I meant was that his whole story is tied to the Dyrwood. He and GM are in POE1 to give flesh and life to the setting. I'm not a huge fan of GM, but I really liked what they did with Durance.
However, in the end, they're still very much about the setting. Pallegina was more about politics, and this seems to be an important aspect of the Deadfire. This, and the fact the republics are directly concerned give Pallegina an obvious spot in the sequel.
Mind you, the fact you can't play with Durance, Sagani or Hiravias anymore doesn't mean they won't appear in Deadfire. I have Xzar and Montaro in mind.

Ent

Savant
I didn't mind Pallegina. Thought she was far more interesting than Aloth or Maneha. Eder and Hiravias were the best. Zahua and Devil were also okay. Durance was a mixed bag and GM was undercooked.

No, the article Kem0sabe posted is old, from before they revealed him.

You can choose how they're multiclassed but not a subclass: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/167523609431/you-said-there-are-only-three-class-options-for
why you gotta dash my hopes like that infinitron?

Sizzle

Arcane
Come to think of it, there's little sense in bringing GM or Durance in Deadfire. These guys were so strongly tied to the Dyrwood, I really don't see how they could have worked in the sequel.
Seems to me like there is plenty of reason to bring Durance back. His ending is basically "Next time on Dragon Ball Z..."

q1eCwG8.png

ulmwGsm.png

Do you really want to see anyone else but Avellone write him in the sequel(s)?

Because it seems to me that they would make him a much simpler character, motivated only be getting revenge on Magran. Which would get old fast.

Sentinel

Arcane

q1eCwG8.png

ulmwGsm.png

Do you really want to see anyone else but Avellone write him in the sequel(s)?

Because it seems to me that they would make him a much simpler character, motivated only be getting revenge on Magran. Which would get old fast.
No, I don't. And I don't have many doubts that obsidian in some form or another reached out to Avellone and he refused to work on Durance (guy said Durance's story was done and he wouldn't come back on twitter lol).
However, I feel like there are better ways to treat one of the best and most popular characters of the prequel than 2 years of silence and completely ignoring him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We don't for sure that they're completely ignoring him. Lots of room for little cameo events on that world map. Remember meeting One of Many in Storm of Zehir?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like Xoti's design now that I think about it, even if she's vaguely Muslim-looking. That sickle and lantern combo has quite the potential to be symbolic. Not that I won't avoid the "story" companions like the plague, but still.

Sentinel

Arcane
inb4 Durance goes nuclear and is the final boss of PoE2 and we end up having to fight him to defend the Gods or join him in revenge
A battle for the ages!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom