Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
So ironically the best thing from post-Waters era are random session outtakes where the remaining members are just jamming in relaxed way and not worrying about being radio friendly or whatever.
do you actually mean that or are you just being a hipster?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Joke: Can I dual-wield shields?

Woke:

DZ-O6igVwAAQNNB.jpg

bminorkey

main thing i don't like about this is how they are going with the whole watcher level reset to 1 again

like come on just let us play a new character. there's no enjoyment in being a famous archmage dragon-slayer.. thing that keeps missing accuracy checks on a rat

Ruzen

Savant
I don't get why people are so cautious to praise graphics. What is this graphicphobia ? This is not a text-based game.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
In case you haven't noticed ruzen, it is extremely hard - extremely hard - for people here to talk about poe while holding on their street cred.
So they either straight out continuously shitpost, or they engage in actual conversations and autistic debates and whatnot but regularly remind any reader that poe is dogshit.

It's not an easy position to fill. I mean, being among the top posters - if not the top poster - of a thread while assuring everyone that its very topic doesn't interest or engage you on more than a superficial level is a tough case to defend.
They naturally fear that someone could very much make the sorry mistake to consider that they might like the game, and thereby display a critical lack of good taste.
In the end, we're left with this wondrous thread. And a sardonic smile on the face.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking at the stream I see pretty much the same active abilities click+target routine in every encounter featuring 3-4 enemies or more.

At least when we manually cast the same stuff over and over we get to see the pretty effects over and over.
:greatjob:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
main thing i don't like about this is how they are going with the whole watcher level reset to 1 again

like come on just let us play a new character. there's no enjoyment in being a famous archmage dragon-slayer.. thing that keeps missing accuracy checks on a rat
most likely it wants to be a big saga like baldurs gate.

The white march ended at level 16 iirc, while baldurs gate 8 or 9 i think.

Having only to level up a bit in the sequel sounds lame, and introducing a mega level like up to 30 comes with high expectatjon with enemy design, ability design (imagine if you are level 29 wizard fighting level scaled, color coded xaurips with different color of magic missiles)

they dont have the foundation to immediately jump into superhuman level battles like throne of baal. It is harder to explain how these demigods appearing everywhere without causing too much panic on citizens. Baldurs gate had 2 games and an expansion plus decades of tabletop worldbuilding.

It is really easier (and i find it is decently plausible and acceptable at worst) to make eothas suck out all your levels. Plus the watcher already got connections to eothas and the adra statue.

I do hope for a new protagonist in poe 3 tho or whatever sequel they wanna make.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Looking at the stream I see pretty much the same active abilities click+target routine in every encounter featuring 3-4 enemies or more.

At least when we manually cast the same stuff over and over we get to see the pretty effects over and over.
These streams are always bullshit.
I remember the ones before the first game, with sawyer going full "oh boy it's gonna be tough hehe " because he saw a kobold priest.
As we all know now, no - it wasn't gonna be tough.

Why, at least here, they don't pretend that there's any actual encounter.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In case you haven't noticed ruzen, it is extremely hard - extremely hard - for people here to talk about poe while holding on their street cred.
So they either straight out continuously shitpost, or they engage in actual conversations and autistic debates and whatnot but regularly remind any reader that poe is dogshit.

It's not an easy position to fill. I mean, being among the top posters - if not the top poster - of a thread while assuring everyone that its very topic doesn't interest or engage you on more than a superficial level is a tough case to defend.
They naturally fear that someone could very much make the sorry mistake to consider that they might like the game, and thereby display a critical lack of good taste.
In the end, we're left with this wondrous thread. And a sardonic smile on the face.

It is indeed bizarre that people with such apparent disdain for POE would pay up for beta access for the sequel. I still worship at the altar of Obsidian, but not enough to pay extra for early access.

Hail Sawyer.
:hailcthulhu:

EDIT: he may sometimes fail, but at least he's fucking trying to make a real RPG(tm).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah because while on the Codex he is larping this "look at me I'm a gamer with high standards" kind of character, in reality he desperately can't wait for PoE to come out. So he kept begging for beta keys even though beta is obviously the lowest standard version of the game he is ever going to be able to play.

This is what happens when you self-invent an internet identify for yourself, like "I'm a prestigious gamer" and bullshit yourself that other people actually see you that way and you need to protect that reputation. The result is a dude who tries to convince us how he doesn't give a rats ass PoE, while furiously shitposting in the PoE thread every waking hour for the past 12 months.

:hero:

Mazisky

Magister
Yeah because while on the Codex he is larping this "look at me I'm a gamer with high standards" kind of character, in reality he desperately can't wait for PoE to come out. So he kept begging for beta keys even though beta is obviously the lowest standard version of the game he is ever going to be able to play.

This is what happens when you self-invent an internet identify for yourself, like "I'm a prestigious gamer" and bullshit yourself that other people actually see you that way and you need to protect that reputation. The result is a dude who tries to convince us how he doesn't give a rats ass PoE, while furiously shitposting in the PoE thread every waking hour for the past 12 months.

:hero:

Well, girls usually shittalk about the guy they love and they cry for.

bminorkey

most likely it wants to be a big saga like baldurs gate.

The white march ended at level 16 iirc, while baldurs gate 8 or 9 i think.

Having only to level up a bit in the sequel sounds lame, and introducing a mega level like up to 30 comes with high expectatjon with enemy design, ability design (imagine if you are level 29 wizard fighting level scaled, color coded xaurips with different color of magic missiles)

they dont have the foundation to immediately jump into superhuman level battles like throne of baal. It is harder to explain how these demigods appearing everywhere without causing too much panic on citizens. Baldurs gate had 2 games and an expansion plus decades of tabletop worldbuilding.

It is really easier (and i find it is decently plausible and acceptable at worst) to make eothas suck out all your levels. Plus the watcher already got connections to eothas and the adra statue.

I do hope for a new protagonist in poe 3 tho or whatever sequel they wanna make.

yea i get that. but here's the thing. you really built yourself up in PoE as this powerful famous person. you own a huge ass enchanged castle and kill dragons deep below the earth and all that.

then they squash all that and go "oh, actually we're just gonna take all that away from your for a contrived plot reason because we aren't imaginative enough to continue the story without resetting all character development". isn't it antithetical to the idea of a "big saga" to make everything you accomplished in the previous game count for nothing?

plus it's not like you can't make decisions from the previous game influence the current game even if you're playing a new character. you can tell a sequel without having the same protagonist.

i really think they should have gone with the new character route. can be like some janitor at caed nua who survived.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's a common trait to shittalk or treat the things you love badly. You hurt the ones you love the most, amen.

Closeted homos lashing out on homos, POE fanboys, lashing out on poe, whilst secretly fapping furiously for release day. It's GLORIOUS.

I DONT CARE ABOUIT THIS SHIT GAME U KNOW??? FUCK U ALL

<continues to shitpost about the game for 2 years> ... because he cares SO little about the game, right?

;)

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity

:greatjob:

Hmmm I don't think you're right about this. The number of casts per spell level is very low (only 2) and depending on the class you have like 4-6 spells to chose from per spell level. So basically it forces you to prioritize and pick the right spell for every situation to make there most out of your limited casts. It's one of the things I like about the combat compared to PoE1.

Melee is different but these characters can more easily be managed via the AI instruction system.

Thonius

Arcane
I love how PoE apologists are coming out of the woodwork to defend even blatantly unacceptable things, like framerate hitches when literally anything is happening. A naga hitting Eder? Hitch. A druid shapeshifting? Hitch. A wizard casting a spell? Hitch. And that is in a vacuum, nothing else is happening at the same time.
What I really did not liked here is that transformation is to abrupt. Plop and you're shakboi.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The love for my person in this thread is overwhelming, I'm so joyous. The problem is not that I'm secretly closeted in my love for PoE, it really is dogshit in most categories, the problem is that I see potential. Well, not anymore with the current state of the beta, but you get what I mean. Those assertions are just a defense mechanism because you want it to be good and any evidence to the contrary must mean that that someone is trying to keep his "street cred". Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but this game isn't going to be BG2, or close, even as declined as the BG saga was. Even if every accusation thrown at me is true, it won't change that fact.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Baldur's Gate 2 continues along the thread of the protagonist being a Bhaalspawn, which is why Irenicus kidnaps him. That is its only real connection to the story of the first game.

We should therefore want Pillars of Eternity 2 to continue along the thread of the protagonist of being a Watcher who knows the secret of the gods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom