Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Turjan

Arcane
With WM, the naming was the main issue. Why would you buy a game that's called "Something pt.1" and not wait for pt.2? I guess they didn't want to get the backers angry, who were promised to get the whole thing (which was true) and may have got a wrong impression.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
IGN interview about ship gameplay: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/22/how-boats-aim-to-make-pillars-of-eternity-2-better

HOW BOATS AIM TO MAKE PILLARS OF ETERNITY 2 BETTER

Having reached its initial crowd-funding goal in record time, it would be fair to say that lots of people are excited for Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. Its predecessor was both a critical and commercial success, and we got a chance to chat with its director, Josh Sawyer, about one of the biggest new features coming to the RPG sequel: a customizable boat stronghold that will serve as your mobile base throughout the game.

“When we looked the strongholds from Pillars, lots of people were disappointed by them,” said Sawyer during our phone interview.. “They didn’t really integrate with the story very well.” Due to the setting of Deadfire (which is a huge archipelago) it just didn’t make sense to him or the team to try and root players on a single land mass, when the game takes place across a bunch of different land masses separated by water.

Players will initially sail on a sloop-type ship crafted from the trees of Dyrwood, a location in the original game. Named “The Defiant,” this starting ship is capable and unique-looking, but several more specialized ships will be earnable as well.

“The Defiant isn’t the fastest, it doesn’t have the biggest guns, it’s just a good middle of the road option,” Sawyer told me. Different boats will be upgradeable with different sails, helms, hulls, captain's quarters, and more.

One particularly neat upgrade is the on-board menagerie. Players were limited to one pet in Pillars of Eternity, but with the menagerie, you’ll be able to house lots of critters who will call your ship home. While Sawyer admits the benefit is “mostly cosmetic,” it’s a good example of how the team is addressing community feedback in Deadfire – even where little things are concerned.

Probably the most interesting new gameplay possibilities come in the form of ship-to-ship encounters though. Sawyer was quick to mention that there aren’t any turn-based tactical ship battles, scripted interactions will allow you to deal with other vessels in a variety of ways. For instance, if you spot a pirate ship a long ways out, you might switch sails in an attempt to trick them into thinking you’re a fellow pirate. Pretty sneaky!

If you can’t escape or fend other ships off, however, the two ships grapple and their respective crews will actually engage in a big inter-ship brawl, complete with enemies and allies leaping from deck to deck, which sounds pretty terrific in theory.

All told, Deadfire’s mobile, sea-bound strongholds are meant to facilitate the exploration of a world that sounds much larger and more fully realized than in the original. Sawyer, who helped design Infinity Engine classics like the Icewind Dale series, likened exploration in Deadfire to that of Fallout 1 and 2, where you pick a direction and go, rather than choosing between disjointed locales on a map –- an exciting prospect if, like me, you enjoy heading to places you have no business being in yet, just to see what you can get away with.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
IGN said:
Players will initially sail on a sloop-type ship crafted from the trees of Dyrwood, a location in the original game. Named “The Defiant,” this starting ship is capable and unique-looking, but several more specialized ships will be earnable as well.

“The Defiant isn’t the fastest, it doesn’t have the biggest guns, it’s just a good middle of the road option,” Sawyer told me. Different boats will be upgradeable with different sails, helms, hulls, captain's quarters, and more.
Lol they are really getting blatant about these "stretch goals" being already implemented :) Not that I'm complaining.

Sherry

Arcane
I'm not sure why they felt the need to name it, a cool extra would be to let the player name it, and just don't voice any lines where the ship has to be named.

Hi!

I know right because they could also just give a character length to name the boat and maybe even have it appear as the written language in-game along the side with 3 or 4 design options to appear after the name so maybe it is the crest of a faction or the crest of your culture like a snowflake if your character culture is The White That Wends so it can appear on your hull as a painted design or other painted designs to customize your ship better.

Here is a quick mock-up design I came up with to showcase where the customized ship name and painted designs could be displayed.

zNsNega.jpg

There is so much potential to offer more visual customization with our ship than just sail colours so I hope they take some time to offer more options for all of us.

You can rename the ship, confirmed from Josh.

you sir are a DOLL for allowing this thank-you so much Anthony Davis :hug: pass along the hug to Josh too!

Thanks,
Randal

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Massive own goal from Obsidian to have spent 3 or 4 days twiddling their thumbs until announcing a fuckload of stretch goals in one go.

I think they'll hit 4 mil, but that 5 mil stretch goal is not going to be met. Unless they are sitting on a shitload of Fig investment money.

I hope to be proven hilariously wrong.

Hyperion

Arcane
Now they just need to add Food and Water mechanics, carrying Lime Juice to combat scurvy, and keeping rat poison onboard the ship to prevent infestation from disease / consuming your foodstuffs.

Obviously you have to name your ship the Captain Stabbin, right?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They'll doubtless hit 5mln eventually via slacker backers; they've already talked about having a backer portal to continue funding after the Fig campaign ends.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
1 minute into the vid
8efecba35ebb141d395e932643ca7008.jpg

DEUS VULT HEATHENS

You know, as much as I'm mostly ironic about the whole Deus Vult thing (although I fully support a secular and ethnic reconquista, including a European reclaimation of Constantinople as a bulwark against the saracen hordes), I would absolutely kill for a serious attempt at high-quality historical fantasy RPG in which you're absolutely Deus-Vulting all over the place. Like a less SJW:y Tyranny that actually delivers on it's promises of you being a part of the concept of "Sumdimes, ebul winns :;DD", arriving in the new world, and where your fundamental choices generally consists of benevolently belittling the backwards savages as part of the white man's burden, or simply goes on manifesting destiny by vigorously slapping your steel cock over the table until the playboard of the not-Mayans, the not-Aztecs and the not-Incans topple over.

Shit, there's a trilogy right there, and then we have the less-well-received subsequent spinoff of Not-North-American Bogaloo: Genocide Harder.

Bonus points if faith in the One True God™ actually has a measure of truth to it and let's the priests set fire to heretics, and classes are restricted by gender because nobody would take a female conquistador seriously.

I'll even trade the developers a self-hating homosexual Durance so they can fill the obligatory marxist quota and allow them to show that they're progressive after all, honest!
I can always dream, no?

Sizzle

Arcane
Let me just say, I can't wait for PoE 3 - The Living Lands, where you'll pursue Ondra for stealing your ship (and once again deleveling you) :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me just say, I can't wait for PoE 3 - The Living Lands, where you'll pursue Ondra for stealing your ship (and once again deleveling you) :D

I've always thought The Living Lands were intentionally designed to be the setting for an Icewind Dale-esque anything goes dungeon crawling spinoff.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Instead, you can freely explore the map in any direction you want with your ship. You can even disembark and travel by foot on the larger islands. Our design inspiration here comes directly from classic RPGs like Fallout1 & 2; this new approach to the world map makes Pillars II feel bigger, freer, and lets you play how you want. You may discover islands and dungeons not on your map, adventure on your own path for extra treasure, or chart a course towards a distant island.

:dance:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why would anyone want to reclaim the Constantinople? Only a matter of time before another Catholic crusade rapes and pillages the whole place again, because they don't have money to travel to a where infidels are, and there's raping to be done.

God may be all mighty and all knowing, but he never seems to handle money very well, so the pious knights always end up eating sand during the crusade. Unless they're the Templars, they used to eat their own asses during those cold, chilling Jerusalem nights.

Sizzle

Arcane

I've always thought The Living Lands were intentionally designed to be the setting for an Icewind Dale-esque anything goes dungeon crawling spinoff.

Anything goes, sure, but I'm not sure why you think it specifically would be best suited for a dungeon crawler - you can make any area on Eora like that.

They still don't have concrete lore for most places, only rough outlines and general ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom