Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suppose money will have diminishing returns for this game in particular, they can always use those funds for the next game though. That's not a very good economic decision/move, but eehhh. I kinda rationalize game design as a finite thing, i.e. you can't add more and more stuff on top of it forever, at one point it's going to feel like patchwork of different ideas and styles. Pretty much like all other art forms, regardless of your position whether games are art or not.
I agree with that. On the other hand, the extra money can be used for other current projects, or maybe temporarily hire some people, like freelancers.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Sonntam

Barely Literate
I suppose money will have diminishing returns for this game in particular, they can always use those funds for the next game though. That's not a very good economic decision/move, but eehhh. I kinda rationalize game design as a finite thing, i.e. you can't add more and more stuff on top of it forever, at one point it's going to feel like patchwork of different ideas and styles. Pretty much like all other art forms, regardless of your position whether games are art or not.
In a game like PoE you can easily add another 10 millions and spend it on fully voice acting the game. ;)

Not that it would be a good way of spending money, but it just goes to show that there won't be a "bloat" any time soon. There are still too many parts of the game which could be improved with extra money.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree with that. On the other hand, the extra money can be used for other current projects, or maybe temporarily hire some people, like freelancers.

That's usually not a good idea because you have to make a profit off of the thing you are selling, in this case a game, so using previous funds to fund your next project before you make a profit from the current one is short-sighted at best. That's why I said it isn't a very wise economic decision. Look at InXile. I suppose the existence of Kickstarter and Fig has shifted this model somewhat though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's usually not a good idea because you have to make a profit off of the thing you are selling, in this case a game, so using previous funds to fund your next project before you make a profit from the current one is short-sighted at best. That's why I said it isn't a very wise economic decision. Look at InXile. I suppose the existence of Kickstarter and Fig has shifted this model somewhat though.
You're probably right. It doesn't hurt to have some money in reserve for the current project and use it when needed.

Ever heard about laying all the eggs in one basket?

Lacrymas

Arcane

In a different context you'd be correct, but since they don't really have any other projects in the works atm (as far as we know, them not caring in the last days of the campaign also points to that), and are relying on PoE2 to make them money, it wouldn't be smart to use up all their funds on other projects before they are certain of PoE2's profitability. Even AAA game design doesn't work like a supermarket where you sell different things to different people at the same time. At most you'd probably have 2 projects running simultaneously. That doesn't mean "use up all their money on PoE2" which will be equally stupid.

Deleted Member 16721

Why does everyone here care how inbred people abuse rest mechanics? Let them do whatever they want, it's like worrying about people using cheats to beat the game, how does it affect me?

Why are you quoting my post with this response? I don't care how others play, either. In fact, I'm 100% for options to turn these mechanics off. Yes, an option to turn off the limited resting I proposed in my post. Why? Because people should be able to play how they want when it comes to things like that. I realize not everyone is as hardcore as I am when it comes to this stuff.

I made my post talking about what I'd like to see for me personally. I want a tightly balanced resting mechanic, challenging and thoughtful resource management and a risk/reward resting system that requires more planning. I also know that others may not want that, hence there should be options. But trust me, I'm not worried at all about how others play. If they want an easier game, more power to them. I think devs should cater to both with more options.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
They really shat the bed with the campaign, but i am sure that they will soon reach their next goal with some magic FIG funds. They better have a bombastic last stretch goal.

They should also do with Fargo did with Torment and keep post campaign funding and show visible numbers of the progress.
I believe in the long run that Obsidian plans to shift to a backer portal for additional funding instead of Fig. Once the Fig campaign is over, I think Obsidian may tease more features.

generichybrid
Hey Obsidian, I discovered I need a root canal and can thus not pledge what I intended. Will there be much capacity to upgrade my pledge post the campaign? Alternatively, would it best to just put my pledge as intended and then pay the outstanding amount in a months time when my funds are back to normal?
Feb 21, 2017 | 09:10 PM
default_profile-b2dbaec72a86b47b17161ae47527536fbd5323b1f5331a78085a0ddac2dd2d7f.jpg

brennecke
developer
I'm sorry about your situation. The good news is that you will be able to pledge on our backer portal soon. I hope everything goes well for you.

I think this is why they are so lax, because the campaign will not necessarily end with Fig.

Sizzle

Arcane
In a different context you'd be correct, but since they don't really have any other projects in the works atm

The Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky as of yet announced (but confirmed) project ;)

And I also think they said they are working on another project as well.

In a different context you'd be correct, but since they don't really have any other projects in the works atm (as far as we know, them not caring in the last days of the campaign also points to that), and are relying on PoE2 to make them money, it wouldn't be smart to use up all their funds on other projects before they are certain of PoE2's profitability. Even AAA game design doesn't work like a supermarket where you sell different things to different people at the same time. At most you'd have 2 projects running simultaneously.
Obsidian as a company does have other projects, what are you talking about? We don't really know how they invest PoE's profits, but it's smart to diversify portfolio. And it's not that they make Deadfire on pickpocket money: the team is almost twice as big as the first game's, and they try to prioritize quality over quantity.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Huh, I forgot about those, you are right. I guess the Fig campaign confuses me because it's like begging for money :p

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Huh, I forgot about those, you are right. I guess the Fig campaign confuses me because it's like begging for money :p
They've always had a few projects going on at the same time, as far as I know. They aren't small enough for one project to keep them afloat.

They've always had a few projects going on at the same time, as far as I know. They aren't small enough for one project to keep them afloat.

...PoE1? ;d
It has never been their 'only' project.

...PoE1? ;d

Armored Warfare? Also, for a chunk of PoE1's production - Tyranny?
Pathfinder Card Game as well.

2house2fly

Magister
@Townsendvol - Sorry. :( We are absolutely on track for tomorrow morning our time though.

Feb 21, 2017 | 08:06 PM
woo update within two hours. I believe this will happen.

Will be nice if they can get to announcing it before it's cancelled.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
New update
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=277#updates

Beaten like an abused housewife.

Update #16 - The Last Few Days - Set Sail with Your Ship!
POSTED: 02/22/2017
Only a scant few days remain in our campaign, which ends on Friday at 5 P.M. Pacific Time. It's been an amazing ride, and we are so grateful to have such dedicated fans helping us expand and deepen Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. We have some exciting new reveals for you today, including some new stretch goals-- let's push past them and get even more amazing content into the game.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F64fd43e5f2b50488%2F4f718d59bf7fc2d5%2Fdbb44c765a9604c6%2Fa7cc303a61704926

First, we didn't want to keep you waiting any longer: we're thrilled to finally show off our concept for the Od Nua statue that is available for anyone who has backed us at the Elite Collector's Edition tier or above. Please make note that this concept isn't final, and may change some what before release.

But, wait! What's that Od Nua is reaching for?

Your Own Ship!

Yes, we can finally confirm that what we've been keeping secret this whole time: a new and exciting feature that takes the Pillars of Eternity experience to a completely new stage, which adds open-world exploration and discovery to the gameplay on both land and at sea! As many of you guessed correctly, in Deadfire you can be the captain of your own ship. With ships, you have the power to play the game differently; now, you can freely explore the islands of the Deadfire using the new world map.

You want details about the ships? No problem. Your ship is a Dyrwoodan sloop called the Defiant, purchased for you by the Steward of Caed Nua, who has made the journey to help you (part of her, anyway) on your quest to hunt down Eothas, and is one of the first allies to join you on your adventure. The ship acts as your mobile base of operations, carrying you and your comrades wherever you command. Companions will stay on-board while not in your party, and you can even go below decks to your captain's quarters for rest and relaxation.

You can customize, upgrade, and add personal touches to the Defiant. This includes changing your sails, painting your hull, and flying flags to show your personal colors/faction allegiance. You can also improve the performance of your cannons, sails, and hull, beyond just their cosmetic appearance. For example, Dwarven cannons add extra firepower in naval battles, or while upgraded sails give you an extra bit of speed to outmaneuver your opponent. If we hit our $3.5 million stretch goal,we'll add even more new and amazing, unlockable upgrades for your ships. And if we hit our $4 million stretch goal, we will add other ships that you can find, purchase, or even steal during your adventure - to make them your own.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F7fab63a01ccb4785%2F4ad3654a4ab95d60%2Fca81299e1197ffe4%2F0c0c2274d615088a

The World Map - Navigate the High Seas

As you probably saw in the video, above, the world map has gotten complete overhaul in terms of form and function. No longer do you have to travel from point to point in a locked fashion (though you can travel directly to locations you've already discovered, if you want). Instead, you can freely explore the map in any direction you want with your ship. You can even disembark and travel by foot on the larger islands. Our design inspiration here comes directly from classic RPGs like Fallout1 & 2; this new approach to the world map makes Pillars II feel bigger, freer, and lets you play how you want. You may discover islands and dungeons not on your map, adventure on your own path for extra treasure, or chart a course towards a distant island.

During your sea travels, you can access the ship at any time to talk to your companions or manage your ship. And through the world map UI, you can travel directly to previously discovered locations. We have a similar feature in the Neketaka City Map UI that allows you to go directly to major interior areas without having to the walk through the exterior district maps manually, which will save you a lot of time.

Encounters

During your adventures around the islands of Deadfire, you may encounter things at sea. These special encounters will be presented as scripted interactions – not only will your ship play a role, but any ship upgrades will impact how these interactions play out, too. We will have both combat and non-combat encounters, many of which will play out in-game depending on the resolution you’ve chosen. For example, you may come upon a hostile pirate ship on the horizon. If you choose to engage, you can fire your cannons in attempt to destroy their ship, or you can try closing the distance to board and fight the crew directly. How effective a cannon shot is will depend on how improved your cannons are, and how likely you are to be able to escape, on your sails. Other examples include finding a derelict vessel, saving a group of stranded sailors on a wreck, meeting a traveling merchant, or fighting a monstrous sea creature. How you deal with these events is up to you.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2Fa16145da4c418981%2Fed4206daedf8228a%2F3d8ef98238a2bc89%2F406d30798825b822

And New Stretch Goals!

To finish out the campaign, we are happy to introduce four new stretch goals that are ship themed (and one that was fan requested)! We aren't done yet, and if we are able to finish strongly and hit $4 million, we have more stretch goals planned for you.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F845fcb4360d34273%2Fd73dc800075e876b%2Fac4f33c9c80d2beb%2F28abf9f068a294d3

$3.5 million - NEW SHIP UPGRADES & PORTUGUESE - We would like to have more ship upgrades and customization options types, including more hull, sail, and flag options. In addition, we are going to add upgradable rooms below deck including a trophy room to display your treasures and well as pet menagerie for all your animal friends to hang out and party. This also adds options to pick your own colors for sails and flags! Plus, we're continuing our commitment to localize Pillars II in more languages by including Brazilian Portuguese!

$3.75 million - UNCHARTED ISLANDS & SIMPLIFIED CHINESE - Make the world larger with the Uncharted Island stretch goal. The uncharted island feature adds many more locations to the world map for you to discover and map,expanding the world and game. These islands have special events, quests, and treasures for you to discover using the scripted interaction system. Some of them might include unique special events, including dungeons or quests. After you discover an island, you can even name it to make it your own! And, we'll add Simplified Chinese localization, too!

$4 million - NEW PLAYER SHIP TYPES - You want something awesome!? We will add other ships that you can find, purchase, or even steal during your adventure. These other ships will be docked in a special harbor location. Get yourself a Valian Galleon or a Rauati Warship - and customize it to make it your own.

...?

...?

$5 million - YDWIN BECOMES A COMPANION - You asked for this, now help us make it a reality! We will take Ydwin the Pale Elf from sidekick to full-on 8th companion for the game, adding a full vision quest, companion relationship, and story interactions to her (and, of course, if we hit this goal, we will add another sidekick to replace her so we still have four sidekicks, too!). Adding companions is a huge expense and design undertaking, but if we can get to $5 M, the team feels sure we can do it!

Of course, if we get to $4 million, we'll have some new stretch goals to include between $4 M and $5 to keep things even more interesting! Let's see what we can get in the next couple of days. Thanks to everyone for your support, and we look forward to closing out Pillars II's campaign with a bang!

Finally... Early Bird DLC!

Since a lot of folks have been asking in various fora: we wanted to let people get an early bite at our DLC. We aren't exactly sure what the DLC will contain yet, as we're 100% focused on making the core game awesome right now, but we know we're going to want to expand Pillars II at some point post launch. And since some of you want to get in on that early, we're offering a very low price as a way to guarantee you'll be able to do just that. It's available now as a Fig add-on when you purchase any tier, or to be added to your purchase if you've already bought.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

yus. Yus! YUS!

ALL ABOARD!

Qaw2o1t.jpg

Just look at those cannons at the ready to blast pirate ships who dare board our ship and try to steal our treasure and capture our men! This is the BEST idea EVER!

Our characters can jump around and across from one ship to another is so cool because this will open up all kinds of new quest ideas of being able to get across a rushing creek or a deep chasm that would use athletics to judge how you land or if you fall to your death or just get washed down stream and the combat of two ships reminds me a lot of how Ultima did their combat when you were on the ocean!

I hope we also get to customize our cabin with plants and flowers and different types of furniture like beds and tables with an armoire to store our clothing and maybe hidden planks to store our gear and where a lot of the relationships will move forward as we talk to our crew during each voyage.

p.s. oh duh just read the update as the sailing video was what I was most interested in and it reads "In addition, we are going to add upgradable rooms below deck including a trophy room to display your treasures and well as pet menagerie for all your animal friends to hang out and party." so that is really awesome to be able to have all of this on the ship and being in port as we sail around and able to return to it and live off it. I hope we can hire a cook too!

"Your ship is a Dyrwoodan sloop called the Defiant" this is dumb. I am renaming my ship if I am captain I cannot believe they are not going to allow this at all? My ship will be called Sherry thank-you very much!

Thanks,
Randal

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom