Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
IMO, there needs to be a limit to resting supplies themselves. I.e., you can't just return to town and buy more if you run out. They could implement a terrain and movement based food element like Xulima. Resting will heal whatever, give you your spell casts back, but won't heal diseases, and fatal injuries take 24 hours to heal. Make the food limited by making it scale in price. Combine with rarer resources overall, I.e.money is hard to come by, and you will add much more tension, management, planning and consequence to the resting system. Especially when food is really expensive.

Xulima on Hardcore Ironman remains tightly balanced many hours into the game. Most RPGs are over by then (literally, the game would be over) while Xulima still remains tight.

If they balance the spell casts to be less overall, even better. Get that long-term decision making going on.

Why does everyone here care how inbred people abuse rest mechanics? Let them do whatever they want, it's like worrying about people using cheats to beat the game, how does it affect me?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IMO, there needs to be a limit to resting supplies themselves. I.e., you can't just return to town and buy more if you run out. They could implement a terrain and movement based food element like Xulima. Resting will heal whatever, give you your spell casts back, but won't heal diseases, and fatal injuries take 24 hours to heal. Make the food limited by making it scale in price. Combine with rarer resources overall, I.e.money is hard to come by, and you will add much more tension, management, planning and consequence to the resting system. Especially when food is really expensive.

Xulima on Hardcore Ironman remains tightly balanced many hours into the game. Most RPGs are over by then (literally, the game would be over) while Xulima still remains tight.

If they balance the spell casts to be less overall, even better. Get that long-term decision making going on.

Why does everyone here care how inbred people abuse rest mechanics? Let them do whatever they want, it's like worrying about people using cheats to beat the game, how does it affect me?
Because Josh cares, and supposedly in his caring, he imposes automatic heal at the end of combat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This guy designed ALPHA PROTOCOL, a game so messed up they had to bring in Sawyer to try to salvage it

Sawyer didn't salvage Alpha Protocol, he barely worked on that game. In fact it was Chris Avellone who did what he could to salvage it from Brian Mitsoda.

Sizzle

Arcane
I love it how they're saving that ship as a super-secret-shh-don't-tell-anyone-whatever-could-it-possibly-be weapon to up pledges in the last 48h :D

Obsidian: "And now, for our final trick reveal, your new stronghold will take the form of a sea-faring SHIP! You'll be able to make people walk the plank (not like in Tyranny - an actual plank, made from real wood beetle wood!), and shoot adra cannons!"

Typical Backer 1: "OMG, TAKE ALL OUR MONIES!"

Typical Backer 2: "... oh, so that's how we'll be sailing around the archipelago. Wow, Deadfire Archipelago, I just got that. Heh, clever.

Typical Backer 3: "Companion relationships are in, so will we be able to romance the ship?"

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought we are still operating on the assumption that it will be mediocre at best?
That is, like, your opinion, man.
I also rather expect it to be good after the overall excellent PoE1.

Even though I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to the changes in the game mechanics. I'd rather they kept to the tested and tried PoE1 gameplay mechanics.

So far the only changes I like have to do with improving the clarity/visibility during encounters (that's really needed!) and addition of subclasses.

Multiclasses I don't know yet. Loved them in NWN1/2, but I didn't think they were particularly needed in PoE with each class having plenty of interesting individual skills.
I'm rather worried about the unified "class power" metric and possibly negligible class traits early on (like +3% per class level). Classes should be very distinct from the start and play very differently - like in PoE1. Not to specialize/grow up to their role. In general I don't like the DnD 4th ed. inspirations.

I don't like the removal of Health and move towards "per encounter" abilities and away from semi-vancian systems. Personally I wouldn't mind a mana-based system, but with MP replenishment options being very limited and mostly available trough resting.
Well, unless Obsidian surprises me and designs some creative, varied, interesting and fun ways to build up character's "power sources".

Oh and I don't think I've played any good pirate-story games. After the original Sid Merier's Pirates!, that is. So I'm not a great fan of the setting and its atmosphere. But who knows, maybe Deadfire will be the first pirate crpg I like?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even though I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to the changes in the game mechanics. I'd rather they kept to the tested and tried PoE1 gameplay mechanics.
I'd rather they had ported BG/IWD combat into Unity, and that's what I imagined I PoE would play like, but instead we got 3.5s effects durations derived from modifiers nobody wants to spend their lifetime sorting out, and action recovery times with undocumented lengths. But I'm hopeful things will improve in Deadfire.

So far the only changes I like have to do with improving the clarity/visibility during encounters (that's really needed!) and addition of subclasses.
Same.

Personally I wouldn't mind a mana-based system
c86.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
I'd rather they had ported BG/IWD combat into Unity, and that's what I imagined I PoE would play like, but instead we got 3.5s effects durations derived from modifiers nobody wants to spend their lifetime sorting out, and action recovery times with undocumented lengths. But I'm hopeful things will improve in Deadfire.

So go play BG/IWD for the fiftieth time and stop trying to ruin PoE.

The IE games systems are even more obscure than PoE's, you are just too lazy/old to learn new things.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They really shat the bed with the campaign, but i am sure that they will soon reach their next goal with some magic FIG funds. They better have a bombastic last stretch goal.

They should also do with Fargo did with Torment and keep post campaign funding and show visible numbers of the progress.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I suppose money will have diminishing returns for this game in particular, they can always use those funds for the next game though. That's not a very good economic decision/move, but eehhh. I kinda rationalize game design as a finite thing, i.e. you can't add more and more stuff on top of it forever, at one point it's going to feel like patchwork of different ideas and styles. Pretty much like all other art forms, regardless of your position whether games are art or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom