Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Personally I wonder if Pallegina will be mad at the PC if he misled her into siding against her country and lost her her Paladin orders.

Actually the best outcome for her is if she makes the compromise deal and you strengthen drywood with baby souls.

If I had known the PC was going to settle down as a Lord of Caed Nua, I might have done that. I role played him as a "man with no name" type who was just passing through and had no patriotic connection to the country, and so no reason to favor them in their wars against this or that power.

I haven't done that even after assuming my PC would settle as Lord of Caed Nua so I hear you, I was only saying going against her order isn't the deciding factor there, only situation of drywood is.

ushas

Savant
update

Edit2: Text of the update in the Infinitron's post below

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=241#updates

We're Funded!
POSTED: 01/27/2017

We. Are. Funded! Thanks to the support of all of our backers, investors, and our wonderful community, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire has achieved and then exceeded its funding goal in less than 24 hours, exceeding all of our expectations. Our fans are the best in the world, and it's thanks to you that we're able to make games we love. Thank you so much, sincerely. In this update, we're going to answer some of your most asked questions, give you some key details about the game, and share our progress so far.

First, here's a personal video message from Pillars II Design Director Josh Sawyer, thanking you on behalf of all of us here:

But we're not done yet! Since we funded so quickly, there's still a long way to go,and we've got some awesome stretch goals available to help make Pillars II even better. First among these is sub-classes, which we'll reach at $1.4 M in funding.

We asked Josh to give us some more details on the upcoming subclass stretch goal (and some other exciting stuff):

Hail and well met, elves. It's your buddy, Josh, with some info on subclasses and importing your character from PoE1.

Subclasses are similar to kits in 2nd Edition AD&D (featured in Baldur's Gate 2). Our focus has been to give a different flavor to a class through specialization. We want each subclass to do something cool and distinctive that also has a built-in trade-off compared to the base class and other subclasses. For example, if you remember Zahua from The White March, you may recall that he was a drug-addled/enlightened monk of the Nalpazca. If subclasses are funded,you may select the Nalpazca as one of two Philosophies (monk subclasses). The Nalpazca gain greater benefits from using drugs, but their Wound threshold is increased while under the influence.

One of the most popular ranger subclasses on the team is the Ghost Heart Lodge. All Ghost Hearts travel the wilds of Eora alone, their animal companions having died at some time in the past. However, the bond between the ranger and their companion is so strong that the soul of the animal remains tethered to the ranger through the Between. While a Ghost Heart does not have their companion available at all times, they may be summoned as a ghostly Spirit during combat for a short duration. This companion is not considered a Beast, so spells like a druid's Charm Beasts and Hold Beasts will have no effect on it, but a paladin's Abjuration can badly damage or even banish it immediately.

Now, on to importing your PoE1 character! At the start of Deadfire, you will have the option to import a special end of game save from Pillars of Eternity. This will import your Watcher and the choices that you made in the Dyrwood, including quest states, conversation choices, and how you personally dealt with your companions, friends, foes, and orlan babies. The save game is cross platform compatible, so you will be able to import from Mac to Linux, Gog to Steam, etc. This is the first time that the Obsidian team has the freedom to explore this type of cross game reactivity and progression, and we are very excited to add long term choice and consequence to Deadfire.

To address three common questions:
  1. What if my dear friend Aloth "fell" into a Skaenite blood pool?
If you directly or indirectly got a companion killed or never recruited them in your save game, they will not be present in the Deadfire. However...
  1. What if I never played Pillars of Eternity or I want to start a new game with different story states?
During the introduction to the Deadfire, you will be able to establish choices from Pillars of Eternity as though you had played through the game. Importing the save directly is not a requirement for establishing story states.
  1. Am I still 11th/14th/16th level?
As you saw in our intro video, Eothas is very hungry and your soul is delicious. Your Watcher begins again as a level 1character.

--

Thanks Josh!

Now, sub-classes aren't the only thing we've got coming. More gameplay depth, world-building detail, and customization for players all over the world lies ahead in Pillars II's stretch goals, waiting to be revealed...

Of course, for those who've been unable to keep up with the press flurry (and who can blame you?) the campaign been featured in a whole bunch of publications:

And now, some FAQ's. You've had some questions for us, we want to provide you with answers. We’ve collected the most common questions from our forums, Fig's comments, and other communities, and summarized some answers for you here.

FAQ

Q: When we will have access to PayPal?

A: We are currently looking into how we can offer PayPal to our Backers and will have more information on that at a later time.

Q: Any chance we can get the first Pillars of Eternity Collector’s Edition through this campaign?

A: Unfortunately, no. However, you can purchase the entire Pillars of Eternity collection for $79, which gives you a digital copy of Pillars I, both White March DLCs, and a digital copy of Pillars II.

Q: Will there be multiplayer?

A: At this time, we have no plans for multiplayer.

Q: Will the Guidebook Volume II go up as an add-on or on Amazon like the first one?

A: We are currently looking into how best to service fan demand for the Guidebook Volume II. We know you want it, so we're going to find a way to give it to you.

Q: I want the boxed edition, but have no intention of touching the disc inside it (nor do I own a device that can read a disc of any type). How can I play the game if I purchase the physical box?

A: Purchasers of the box copy will receive their digital code both in the box and via email on release day (same code, you won't get two different codes). You will not have to open the box at all, if you don't want to.

dFUpJ5f.jpg

FreeKaner

So subclasses are like Paladin orders. Will Paladins get subclasses on top of Paladin orders then?

Also if the PC is starting as a level 1 character why not just make it a different character to start a new game from, especially since we are going to be in an entirely different part of the world? It would also not alienate players who has not played the first game yet.

I thought the whole appeal of character continuum was starting at previous level your character was in.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As you saw in our intro video, Eothas is very hungry and your soul is delicious. Your Watcher begins again as a level 1character.

Oh wow. I'm rather glad honestly, but the explanation is a bit meh.

Vadimko

Novice
Oke, lurking this forum for six years, but now I'm finally here, coz I'm frustrated.
I'm surprised that noone here isn't furious about fucking poe figurines. Tbh, they make almost all boss fights laughable, even PotD.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
"You start at level 1" aka "We screwed ourselves with going too high stakes and epic in the first game".

FreeKaner

Level 1 is better than previous cap I agree but if you are going to do that why not just a new character honestly I just don't get developers sometimes. I guess it's easier to hook the plot from last character but you can literally have same plot and just be a person that recently arrived in deadfire or is going to deadfire to track down a huge adra statue, the reveal would be grander as well when you learn the previous watcher's soul was absorbed.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Sheeeit, you were right Fairfax. Level 1 it is. I hope you at least get to reach higher levels at the end, and faster.
If it's level 1 then I hope you get to create your character from scratch. I can't say I relish the idea of leveling up the same character build one more time, or alternatively making slightly different choices at level up just to be different. I'll take a new class please.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So glad they are starting over at 1. It does make the continuation of your character a bit awkward (like, did Eothas eat the levels of every companion, even though the epilogues showed they might not have ended up anywhere near you?), but from a mechanics perspective, I am glad.

Jezal_k23

Maybe you only meet them later, around level ~12-15ish? Now I'm wondering what level cap they have in mind for it. I hope it's higher than PoE + TWM, because I do want to see how high level gameplay looks like, after all.

cruelio

Augur
It's actually really lame because the low level shit in POE is just not fun just like in BG 1 but the mid to high level shit in White March is actually really great like BG 2 SOA. The power creep was really setting in though and the omg balance was starting to have the problems they were trying to not to emulate from BG series like caster supremacy and crazy items but they could at least start you at level 6 or 8 or something.

Jezal_k23

I could have swore it was level 7 or 8. I also kind of hoped it was, just so it could emulate BG2 + ToB.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
They had to do something. Endgame Wizards and Priests are kind of bullshit.

I assume we lose soulbound weapons as well. I will miss Abydon's Hammer :(

Starwars

Arcane
I think I'd rather have it start at level 1 then be a direct continuation of the levels you gained in the first game. But still... it's gonna feel a bit awkward, in quite a few ways I suspect. And it's a bit of a bummer to have to level up the *same* character again, kinda takes the excitement out of continuing the Watcher story. But it's probably for the better.

Still... I wouldn't have minded if we had at least a few levels left. Ah well.

Sentinel

Arcane
They had to do something. Endgame Wizards and Priests are kind of bullshit.

I assume we lose soulbound weapons as well. I will miss Abydon's Hammer :(
Since Eothas stole your soul I struggle to see how you'd be able to wield soulboud weapons at all.
Still, they should have just removed ~10 levels from the PC and then be done with it. Starting over from 1 is shit.

cruelio

Augur
Yeah I don't want to play a fucking barbarian again if all my cool late abilities are gone and all I do in combat is push the frenzy button. I'll just make a new character and pick whatever surely lame choices they decided to carry over.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sheeeit, you were right Fairfax. Level 1 it is. I hope you at least get to reach higher levels at the end, and faster.

Jesus, this is simply retarded. So if one day we have PoE3, will Obsidian come up with another excuse to go back to Level 1?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom