Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A review on Steam best sums it up:

"Dear Baldur's Gate fans,

welcome home."

It's been a long wait but it was worth it. Obsidian released a masterpiece.

yeah, from what I have read here, I don't think that is quite accurate. In fact, I think some BG fans would be quite pissed if you were to categorize it as such. Considering your post count, I get highly suspicious of you being a plant.

Some people will never be pleased I guessed. No problem, if genre flourishes we might get another "true" spiritual successor to BG (released by another company).

Athelas

Arcane
Monks are very high damage when not using any armor, they are not mobile enough because their defense is not good and they dont seem to have an option to break engagement so far. They also have the most retarded concept of all the classes in poe, one that is shit at the start of combat, cant take many hits but taking hits is how he powers his abilities, and that you actually have to PAY a talent point to be able to hurt yourself to power your own abilities more safely.

PoE monks:

Honestly i found them a pretty shit class overall and the one that made it should rethink his life. They are not appealing to people that like playing martial characters, they are not appealing to people that like playing glass cannons, they are not appealing to people that like playing tanks.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-go-to-new-thread.93694/page-401#post-3805836 :M

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Honestly i found them a pretty shit class overall and the one that made it should rethink his life. They are not appealing to people that like playing martial characters, they are not appealing to people that like playing glass cannons, they are not appealing to people that like playing tanks.

Yeah, I have no idea how monks are supposed to work in the long term. I suspect they were created under the assumption that they would have a source of constant healing, like a dedicated priest or a stockpile of potions, but in reality it doesn't really work out, especially on PoTD. Very awkward class to build.

Battle Forged was nerfed :M

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Weren't monks originally supposed to take some DOT instead of instant damage and get rid of it if they spent their wounds? What happened to that concept?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's still on the wiki:

When a monk gets hit, only part of the damage is inflicted on him or her immediately. The rest is redirected to a Wound, which is an effect that causes damage over time to the monk. They can get rid of that Wound by using special attacks.

Description
A percentage of damage done to the monk, after Damage Threshold, is converted to Wound damage. Wounds are "buckets" of damage, so the monk needs to have that amount filled before they gain the Wound resource. They start with a limited number of Wounds, they can carry at one time. Once that limit is hit, additional damage goes straight through.

Advancement
Monks can gain room for more Wounds, so they can have more of them at once to use at the same time for an extraordinarily powerful attack or use them across multiple special attacks. Monks can also change how their Wounds function. For example, they can choose to have their Wounds do less damage at the start and more at the end, so getting rid of them faster is advantageous. Monks can also choose to do their damage sequentially, letting the monk build up a lot of Wounds to fuel a crazy powerful ability and not take much damage for doing so.

As far as I can tell (I've barely played Monks), none of this stuff made it into the final class.

LeJosh

Savant
So I'm around 9 hours in and before I go on, I haven't had issues with pathfinding at all. My approach was to have two melee engagers at the front, 3 casters/ranged centered but spread out behind them and Durance buffing at the back.

So far this works beautifully, now my tactic is to send in my main protag. (cipher with Arquebus) into any room to pull then put him behind my melee upfront.

The mobs chase after him then engage the 2 tanks blocking the door then it's bless and fuck 'em up.

As for open ended areas, right click drag towards mobs to position them and paralyze/stun as necessary. Images are below.

Ze0xWVg.jpg

tLi8Xei.jpg

AxGxirL.jpg

g3bvpPC.jpg

I honestly haven't played enough to judge the character system overall and this is still very early game as everybody is level 4 with a level 2 adventurer

Tip, Moon Godlike melee characters are invaluable at reducing endurance during a fight. (made her a monk)

Edit - just to add I haven't had any crashes or bugs yet or none that were noticeable.

Last edited:

Kuurth

Novice
- Character creation is awkward, ex. fighter putting points in perception ?????
- The 3D models are a bit on the ugly side, choice is lacking (only 4 faces), portraits are also lacking, can't match the majority of the portraits with the models.
- What's the point of rogues if i can unlock stuff with any class.
- Everything seems so dark, had to max the gamma so i can see something.
- Kickstart NPCs are pointless, thought they had something to offer besides walls of text, totally ignorable...
- Godlike characters look horrible, more like devil-like. Wanted to play a giant barbarian but Aumaua are very odd looking, a giant fish. wtf..
- Every class can wear what they please, the recovery stat is ignorable.
- Companions are bland, it's preferable to create a whole team and more effective.
- Extremely buggy, leaving an area crashes to desktop most of the time.

Verdict: Disappointing 4/10 woodbang only when drunk.

Athelas

Arcane
Battle Forged was nerfed :M
No, it wasn't. I tried it in the full game (by leveling my monk through console commands) and it works as well as it did in the beta. It's even bugged so that it hilariously triggers immediately at the start of combat.

Duraframe300

Arcane

welcome home."

yeah, from what I have read here, I don't think that is quite accurate. In fact, I think some BG fans would be quite pissed if you were to categorize it as such. Considering your post count, I get highly suspicious of you being a plant.

You're like two polar opposites!

Signs of first love?
:love:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
No, it wasn't. I tried it in the full game (by leveling my monk through console commands) and it works as well as it did in the beta. It's even bugged so that it hilariously triggers immediately at the start of combat.

There was a dev post that they'd changed it for the release version, so I foolishly assumed it had been nerfed. Guess Fire Godlike Monks might be pretty good then.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Where do you find the Grieving Mother? She is the only party member that I still want to collect.

The guide that came with Polish edition states that she's in Dryford, which is 2 screens east and one screen north from Aedelwan Bridge.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I'm really not sure if I should be tackling Raedric's hold right now.

I got inside using the vines and made good progress cleaning out the dungeons. But I lack the skills needed to bypass a few chests and doors. As well as lacking the stats to get pass the priestess in the sanctuary. At which point everything turns into a bloodbath.
I'm also crashing when I try to exit the Hold. So I think I will have to go to defiance bay anyway. Like it or not.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

I got inside using the vines and made good progress cleaning out the dungeons. But I lack the skills needed to bypass a few chests and doors. As well as lacking the stats to get pass the priestess in the sanctuary. At which point everything turns into a bloodbath.
I'm also crashing when I try to exit the Hold. So I think I will have to go to defiance bay anyway. Like it or not.
Did you put on the robes by the stand well? After that, all you have to do is avoid/sneak away from the high priests (they have a intellect check(

So what's the point of all the times you can reach the soul of random named NPCs?

You can't interact with most of them, and there are way too many of them for just being flavour.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
On further testing, a Moon Godlike Monk can just slaughter everything until the first town on PotD without even pausing the game during combat - just charge at the nearest enemy and keep hitting them. The healing is terribly OP at low levels and the wounds supply the damage. I assume it scales very badly, but it definitely makes for a very easy and simple/boring build at the start.

So what's the point of all the times you can reach the soul of random named NPCs?

You can't interact with most of them, and there are way too many of them for just being flavour.

Kickstarter reward.

Xenich

Cipher

welcome home."

Some people will never be pleased I guessed. No problem, if genre flourishes we might get another "true" spiritual successor to BG (released by another company).

The genre won't flourish if people get excited over half baked shit that is shoveled out to them due to their nostalgic teenage boy band fanatic fandom. Things get better when people stop accepting shit.

Echo Mirage

Arcane

Did you put on the robes by the stand well? After that, all you have to do is avoid/sneak away from the high priests (they have a intellect check(

Yup. I did that part.

But there is one in the hallway near the siege platform exit that I was unable to get past.
But since I have the crash on attempting to leave the keep it nagates the whole attempt eitherway. Thankfully I have a earlier save so I can focus elsewhere until its fixed.

LeJosh

Savant
On further testing, a Moon Godlike Monk can just slaughter everything until the first town on PotD without even pausing the game during combat - just charge at the nearest enemy and keep hitting them. The healing is terribly OP at low levels and the wounds supply the damage. I assume it scales very badly, but it definitely makes for a very easy and simple/boring build at the start.

Kickstarter reward.

I bought a moon godlike monk to bring along, it is powerful, at level 3 I took the +5% fire dmg per wound too.

roshan

Arcane
Then you have roshan complaining that spell VFX are too glowy and flashy while simultaneously complaining that a chandelier only lights a small section of the wall instead of casting bloom all over the place.

The first is a graphical issue, the second is an interface/feedback issue. Hope one day you can figure out the difference.

No it isn't, it's just you.

You're wrong. Functionality is an objective criteria. Feel free to pretend otherwise though.

Kana has been pretty useful so far but I think I'm going to replace his portrait. I can't stand looking at the guy.

Mortmal

Arcane
Played a bit.

One does wonder what's the point of a new setting if most things feel like "D&D Reskined". Have fun re-learning all prists and mages abilities again! I mean, there are certantly interesting plot points (particulary in regard to the main quest), but also getting a feeling "been there, done that".

Like JES said, it is relatively risk free to go with a generic fantasy setting because somehow people just like humans, elves and paladins. More obscure setting might scare potential customers away, vice versa I doubt many who find generic fantasy settings boring would not buy it if the game is cool.

I dunno, it's kickstarter and this is Obsidian, if ever there was a place for a more unique setting, it's this.
Yeah, but do you know what would happen if they made a game with a totally new, and alien setting? The Codex would love it, great. But what if most of the gamers wouldn't like it? Sure, it wouldn't be a financial disaster, because the game was already funded, but if the game flops, and gamers don't like it, then you can say goodbye to RPGs like this forever, because Obsidian would see that it doesn't sell. Obsidian is a profit oriented company, they won't make games that has no market appeal just for passion.

No, this was the way to go. Use a more generic setting for the first time, which people dig, and if the game is a financial success, and Obsidian pulls itself together financially, then they might try out some more interesting settings.

Pretty much this, i am happy when we get anything good.Alien settings wont sell , this fantasy setting will do . I dont want to wait another 10 years to get another decent infinity engine like game, if they start a new kickstarter tommorow ill back it, with more money.Theres some flaws , you can gimp your character, but the positive outweight by far the negative , it really capture what infinity engine games were Spent 16 hours in , its really a great game and qualifies as Baldur's gate 3 .

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Yup. I did that part.

But there is one in the hallway near the siege platform exit that I was unable to get past.
But since I have the crash on attempting to leave the keep it nagates the whole attempt eitherway. Thankfully I have a earlier save so I can focus elsewhere until its fixed.
Did you find the secret lever by the skull which leads to the head priest?

Or, are you just exploring the whole area? Sorry, I hope I am not misunderstanding your situation.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played a bit, delved a bit into the super dungeon, basically finished Act 1. Playing an Amaua Monk.
Thoughts so far: the attribute system is unbalanced, for the all the talk of balance. Perception is shit, Intellect is way too good, % bonuses make con shit for most classes, etc. I do think it could be fixed though.
Combat is pretty good, at least in the tougher encounters (like the end of Raedric's keep). There's a bit too much trash combat, but the set piece encounters have been good so far. I was skeptical about the endurance/health system, but it works well enough.
The dungeon (and general area) design has been a highlight. The writing has been alright, and certainly extremely detailed. Haven't gotten far enough to really comment on the plot though.
Good stuff so far. C&C was a bit weak until the Raedric keep quest, but that was quite well designed. Looking forward to the big city.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom