Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

roshan

Arcane
Things I appreciate about the game:

- Love the fact that it seems the camera never moves without you moving it. Shadowrun, Dragonfall and Halfway were really fucking annoying with that stupid tablet bullshit where they kept on automatically moving the camera around and so you had to keep on moving it back. Even basic actions like reloading weapons were bloody painful in those games. In PoE you can double click on a location, character portrait or minimap point to have the camera center on it, of course this is nothing new, basic IE functionality, but after the games I played in 2014 it feels like a breathe of fresh air. Funny how the game's best elements were lifted directly from the Infinity Engine.

- Enjoying the lore when it focuses on the sociopolitical stuff, like the settlement of the Dyrwood, but the soul bits are generally cringeworthy and annoying.

- Although pretty much everything I complained about before release (autoresurrection, regeneration, running, engagement etc.) have actually turned out to be terrible mechanics, the magic stash may be Sawyer's one good design decision, the feather in his cap.

Some stuff that doesn't work:

- There's tons of items that I am finding, mostly food and drink, that go directly into the stash as their bonuses won't likely even amount to anything in game. A dish that gives you +1 to might for 150 seconds.... Am I really supposed to bother with something that will give my character an additional 3% to damage???

- This whole reaching out to someone's soul is bloody annoying. Are these short stories just in the game as backer rewards?

Last edited:

LeJosh

Savant
My favourite thing so far is the Stronghold, been a wet dream of mine to maintain and upgrade a base of operations in an IE like game for as long as I can remember.

NWN2 doesn't count.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- There's tons of items that I am finding, mostly food and drink, that go directly into the stash as their bonuses won't likely even amount to anything in game. A dish that gives you +1 to might for 150 seconds.... Am I really supposed to bother with something that will give my character an additional 3% to damage???
Yeah, I find this annoying too. I generally hate potions and suchlike anyway, these seem like the "minimum underdrive" version of buff items. I'm hoping that later in the game I will start to appreciate them and learn the joy of cooking a nice meal for my party before a big fight.

- This whole reaching out to someone's soul is bloody annoying. Are these short stories just in the game as backer rewards?
Yep, backer rewards. AKA backer punishments for those of us completionists who feel the need to read everything. I really wish these little tales were a bit more to the point.

Hegel

Arcane
The consumables are there for the statchecks, furthermore they are helpful in POTD mode. I got the distinct impression that the developers are encouraging modders to modify those elements as much as they want.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
- Stealth mechanics seem to be well done. Haven't read up exactly how it works, but it's a lot of fun using stealth to raid containers without anyone noticing (as opposed to the IE games where raiding would end stealth mode). It's ridiculous though that when you turn it on everyone enters stealth mode. The feedback at the bottom which shows you how much time you have left and whether you are seen or not is great, there's a nice tension when you need to get across a room and raid before your time runs out, overall a fun minigame.

LeJosh

Savant
Items like those will be useful for solo runs and PotD mode, I imagine.

No need for them on hard so far, haven't crafted a scroll either.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm about to open the boxed goods if you want to see it.

http://www.twitch.tv/theroguezombie

Context: He got a Nerf gun instead, kek

7db700aba8.png

roshan

Arcane
- It's really really annoying that in order to trigger the examine icons your characters have to run up to it. Wastes so much time. In the IE games you could trigger the examine messages even without being beside the objects.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Never got beyond the first town. Could someone tell me if backers are spread through the world or did they all put them in the ghetto?

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sadly they're everywhere. Their little soul stories are junk too, latest I came across was some lesbian fanfic, did the backers have their input on the stories or was it all Obsidian?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
When the fuck do I get Pallegina? Not having a second frontliner on Hard is a pain in the cock. Chanter isn't the easiest choice of PCs in the beginning, let me tell you. Dumping the heaviest possible armor on them helps, since it doesn't affect the Chants and spells are few and far between.

Guess I'm going to have to blow almost all of my money (so far, this game is almost ludicrously stingy and anything good costs a fortune) on a hireling.

LeJosh

Savant
Never got beyond the first town. Could someone tell me if backers are spread through the world or did they all put them in the ghetto?

There are more at the east bridge of defiance bay, so they're scattered about.

Act 1 now complete! \o/

Ellef

Deplorable
These companions all have worse stats than the previous. The ranger is the worse yet. You can explain it away with RP but it's basically because they made perception useless after they allocated their stats.

Ellef

Deplorable
When the fuck do I get Pallegina? Not having a second frontliner on Hard is a pain in the cock. Chanter isn't the easiest choice of PCs in the beginning, let me tell you. Dumping the heaviest possible armor on them helps, since it doesn't affect the Chants and spells are few and far between.

Guess I'm going to have to blow almost all of my money (so far, this game is almost ludicrously stingy and anything good costs a fortune) on a hireling.

Defiance Bay, Ondra's gift

Eder should be ok in the meantime.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Interesting, Torment is going to Unity 5, and Torment is also based on PoE's technology. I wonder how that's going to go down with so much custom graphics and lighting code in place.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
These companions all have worse stats than the previous. The ranger is the worse yet. You can explain it away with RP but it's basically because they made perception useless after they allocated their stats.

They made them weak on purpose in order to make players feel more powerful. It's not an oversight it's a feature!

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
A little feedback after 12 hrs of playing:

The Great

- A very BG1/2 feel with area progression. Lots of attention to detail, and the encounters feel very IE, with a good mix of cut-and-paste and hand crafted.

- They got the ambiance spot on. It's exactly what I was looking for, in terms of a nostalgia hit.

- The NPCs. I've got Magran, Eder, Aloth and Sagani so far, and they all seem well crafted and interesting. None of them are walking stereotypes, which is great. Early days, yes, but so far Eder and Magran are the pick of the bunch. Eder is snarky and cynical, but plays things cool. Magran is a gruff, rough Rasputin type with something missing. He's damaged goods, but I want to know more. Aloth is a reasonable guy dealing with unreasonable circumstances.

- The Stronghold. Adds a different dimension to the flow of the game, and makes the passage of time more meaningful. Haven't ventured into the Endless Paths, but I like the tenor of the place.

The Good

- The lore and world building. There's a ton of detail, here. Books and NPCs spill all sorts of information on the world of PoE for you to imbibe. Essentially, what makes it somewhat novel is the emphasis on souls/animancy and the treatment of race (i.e. kith) in a social sense. Basically, the #1 point of differentiation isn't whether individuals are human/aumaua/dwarf/elf/orlan/whatever. Instead, it's their culture (Aedyr/Vaillian etc). That doesn't mean race is ignored, but it feels like an authentic way to deal with the issue in a world where there's been so much interaction between fantasy races, for so long.

- The combat. Honestly, you get used to it. The Slow combat speed setting really helps, and when you're in flow with your party set-up it feels pretty smooth. It gets better after the first few levels, but the same could be said of the IE games. The enemies are also pretty diverse and this keeps things fresh. Screw the Shadows, seriously. Teleporting to Aloth/Magran while my Fighter/Rogue are engaged... Ugh.

- Character customization. Class unlocks, talents and skills make for interesting and varied builds (I really don't care if there are imbalances, and have no interest in OMGOPUPthissucks arguments). It's not perfect, but you quickly get to a place where your characters are defined by their role in the party and how you shape it, and not simply by some arbitrary preset definition. A Rogue is a Rogue, but they can be built in different ways.

The Whatever

- Itemization. Maybe I'm too early into the game, but the items I'm discovering don't match up well with the simple items I'm crafting/enchanting. Really, they only become worthwhile after a bit of additional enchantment. I seriously hope there are powerful artefacts down the road that are BIS, in some way.

- NPC quibbles. Eder should not have come with a Weapon Focus: Ruffian talent. Let me decide which way to focus him, without locking him into Sabers and Clubs. Ruffian would have been fine for a Rogue, but he's not a Rogue in the release. Not a big deal, but it's annoying when you don't get to pick that many talents.

- The bug(s?). Raedric's Hold has an area transition bug that means I'm not playing until the hotfix/patch comes along. That shit sucks, but... whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom