Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
So... is it shit.. or is it good?

What's the consensus on teh codex??

TELL ME

My first impressions are it's great for a storyfag. Very nice presentation. I like the choose your own adventure type stuff, could use a lot more that. The backgrounds are beautiful, but the character models aren't that great. I've only just made it to the first big city so I can't give too much of an opinion on the writing overall, it's pretty mediocre so far though, and the shit that's supposed to be poignant like
Maerwald, I couldn't just help thinking he was a blubbering baby back bitch. In a past life he raped some bitch so he had a mental breakdown and the dialogue is like "you deserve your fate you monster!

The combat, character system, etc super shitty

The dialogue system have benevolent, stoic, passionate, cruel system which is bioware crap. It pigeonholes you into a certain type of response if you want to level them.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I'm having none of these problems you guys are describing. Combat took a while to get used to, but I can position characters, following what's going on isn't very difficult...

Dunno, it's like we're playing different games.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Maerwald, I couldn't just help thinking he was a blubbering baby back bitch. In a past life he raped some bitch so he had a mental breakdown and the dialogue is like "you deserve your fate you monster!

It's not THE dialog, it's just an option, among other when you can tell him to man up and stop being a little bitch.

The dialogue system have benevolent, stoic, passionate, cruel system which is bioware crap. It pigeonholes you into a certain type of response if you want to level them.
Then don't try to level them and remove them in the option? Wtf are you complaining about.

roshan

Arcane
This is just so bad. Fighting a large group of spiders in the Temple of Eotha or something. The enemies all regenerate health at a rapid pace, so your only option as far as targeting is concerned is to focus all attacks on one enemy, and hope that your very random DPS can outmatch the enemy's regeneration rate. Pathfinding is completely screwed up. I order a character to attack an enemy that's right beside her, and she instead decides to run all the way around the whole clusterfuck of enemies, breaking formation at the chokepoint and leading to a TPK literally within seconds. I really wanted to like this but the game is just completely broken.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Guys which game is better and why Divinity original sin or Poe.

I know its only been released 2 days but that has never held the codex back from having a well informed opinion

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Then don't try to level them and remove them in the option? Wtf are you complaining about.

My complaint is that this is crap
pok6mhI.jpg

"remove them in the option"

wtf are you talking about?

If you don't pick the same "rep" option every time you arbitrarily lose dialogue options. It's like Mass Effect 3 dialogue wheel.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you know how to change NPC portraits, please tell me immediately.

It works for both PC portraits and companions to me - just overwrite the relevant portrait with another one of your choosing, keeping the same file name and extension (must be .png). It's also important to keep the same image res, which is 210x330 for normal and 76x96 for small.

Hmm, thanks for the feedback, still not working for me. 210x330x24bit for the large and 76x96x24bit for the small, no soap. Oh well, the portrait I really wanted to replace is a companion no longer in my party anyway.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

My complaint is that this is crap
pok6mhI.jpg

"remove them in the option"

wtf are you talking about?

If you don't pick the same "rep" option every time you arbitrarily lose dialogue options. It's like Mass Effect 3 dialogue wheel.

Stop caring about dialog options then? Or be consistent in your choices?
I mean either you play your character and apparently you chose to have a mostly Benevolent, but also reasonable character. Or you just want to meta, then just activate the "show reputation" in the option, and meta. It's really up to you man.

Vidarr

Barely Literate
- There is almost no control over who your characters attack. When a character gets engaged, they switch targets, but when you issue a command to switch back to the original target, nothing happens, they just keep on attacking the enemy you don't want them to fight.

This. Fucking this. Why have combat when you can't control your characters? Might as well play on easy or wait for a fix. Or is it intentional? As it is, I can't take combat seriously.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ I think his point was that the system is too deterministic and encourages maxing out types rather than balancing them against each other, much like Age of Decadence. While I agree in principle I don't really think it's much of an issue. It beats Mass Effect squarely due to the diversity and nuance in the options, even if the determinism is the same.

Morkar Left

Does anybody know when you take health damage? Is it a percentage from stamina damage?

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Stop caring about dialog options then? Or be consistent in your choices?
I mean either you play your character and apparently you chose to have a mostly Benevolent, but also reasonable character. Or you just want to meta, then just activate the "show reputation" in the option, and meta. It's really up to you man.

My point is that I think it is a bad, poorly designed system and I do not like it.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
^ I think his point was that the system is too deterministic and encourages maxing out types rather than balancing them against each other, much like Age of Decadence. While I agree in principle I don't really think it's much of an issue. It beats Mass Effect squarely due to the diversity and nuance in the options, even if the determinism is the same.

Except it is *not* like in bioware games where having a high reputation in X is required for the best outcome. as far as I've seen those are flavor, best case scenario it gave me a shortcut into employment of one of the Defiance Bays groups. That's it.

So he is wrong about being pidgeonholed. Or just needs that hidden from character sheet. When you choose the answers you want to choose (especially if disposition in dialogue is hidden) it is quiteinteresting to see how character's reputation develops.

Does anybody know when you take health damage? Is it a percentage from stamina damage?

Every damage you take is both to endurance and health, 1:1 (at least should be).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Except it is *not* like in bioware games where having a high reputation in X is required for the best outcome. as far as I've seen those are flavor, best case scenario it gave me a shortcut into employment of one of the Defiance Bays groups. That's it.

So he is wrong about being pidgeonholed. Or just needs that hidden from character sheet. When you choose the answers you want to choose (especially if disposition in dialogue is hidden) it is quiteinteresting to see how character's reputation develops.

True, I stand corrected, I just experienced a negative result on such an option myself.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
My point is that I think it is a bad, poorly designed system and I do not like it.

Well, good point then, everyone's free to think what they want :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom