Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
They made them weak on purpose in order to make players feel more powerful. It's not an oversight it's a feature!

My first playthrough is on Normal (I know, judge away), but even here their power feels pretty much where it should be in relation to your character. BG1/2 NPCs weren't optimized either, and that's fine. The ranger isn't going to be doing massive damage, but using her as a caster killer works pretty well. And her wolf/dog is another body on the front line.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Ok, I'm not going to play the game for a while because of reasons, and there's one thing about Eder that I'm curious about, so please spoil me:

Are the rumors about him being gay true?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I do recall Josh saying that some characters were 60% gay so it's possible. I wouldn't put it past them tbh. Not that I care either - I'm just not big on the way BioWare presents it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how do i highlight interactive items on the ground (like in BG 2)? Is it possible at all?

Nael

Arcane
O0wqEco.jpg

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
You have Darth Roxor saying PoE's character system feels too much like an MMO's...and then praising a character system that has stuff like cooldowns and equipment with level restrictions and saying it is better than PoE's.

"I could, however, provide by contrast a whole bunch of character systems that are really weak, but which I still find better than PoE. And this even includes the ones from Original Sin or SRR. Even SPECIAL was better than this, in spite of how broken it was."

truly, such wild praise!

If you know how to change NPC portraits, please tell me immediately.

It works for both PC portraits and companions to me - just overwrite the relevant portrait with another one of your choosing, keeping the same file name and extension (must be .png). It's also important to keep the same image res, which is 210x330 for normal and 76x96 for small.

Case in point:

1nqwN2.jpg

Battle bruvas Tarkus and Cyrus are actually Eder and Aloth.

roshan

Arcane
The combat is just really really fucking bad. I miss the Infinity Engine. :( :( :(

- Casting web on enemies barely affects their movement rate. You'd expect to be able to get in maybe a couple of shots against a webbed enemy before it reaches your party, but no.
- There is almost no control over who your characters attack. When a character gets engaged, they switch targets, but when you issue a command to switch back to the original target, nothing happens, they just keep on attacking the enemy you don't want them to fight.
- Combat is totally random due to engagement mechanics. You cannot choose which enemy your characters engage because they move towards you so quickly, and will pick random targets, then you just have to deal with whatever clusterfuck ensues.
- Combat is a really sad state of affairs as their is no scope for maneuvering or positioning your characters once they have been engaged. You just have to watch this ridiculous lump of characters bash at each other until it's over.
- Spells and their effects seem mostly very minor, there is no such thing as a low level spell like Command or Entangle in the IE games which can change the nature of a battle and turn a victory into a loss.
- Weapons and their damage ranges, and the whole miss/graze/hit/crit system is so random that you have to rely on lucky rolls to win as opposed to actual strategy and tactics in the IE games.
- Very buggy engine, characters often do not execute abilities they have been commanded to perform. And since this is a game where half a second late can lead to a random TPK, this is a pretty serious issue.

0/5 :(

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
OK, for some reason attributescore command doesn't work for several of the companions. Aloth, Eder, Kana no problem, but Durance and Grieving mother nothing happens, not even a 'no command or script for that parameter exists'

Can anyone test if it works for them?

Cnaiur

Augur
80 hour workweek, get sick on a Saturday, give tablets to the kids and fire up PoE.

Let's do this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So... is it shit.. or is it good?

It's good, unless you were expecting revolutionary game mechanics or the world's first excellent RTwP combat system.

Artist's interpretation of enemies rocketing across the map to engage your party in a giant SFX clusterfuck: https://youtu.be/7yh7QSMrdsA?t=14

Yeah, I chose that web spell, too, and never use it. By the time the stupid asshole of a mage gets done casting it (unless of course it's used as an opener; don't know why you'd waste a spell slot on that instead of severely weakening one enemy with a full-party ranged volley), the enemies will have already arrived and been chewing on your dudes for a goodly long time.

The ghosts and wraiths and shit are the worst. Positioning for AoE spells is also a massive pain in the ass, by the way. During one battle, I managed to get a good angle with Fan of Flames on like six ghosts without hitting any of my own dudes. As soon as the mage started casting, every single ghost rocketed over to hit him and he was killed instantly. Cool AI, except it's cheating, because how the fuck do they know what I'm casting and how many of them I'll hit? They're ghosts.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Well I'm downloading it now... somehow, the release slipped through my mind, lol. I even backed the game, but the beta was so shitty, I forgot all 'bout the release and such.

So you guys say, the SFX is one big clusterfuck in combat? That's doesn't sound too promising.. :(

How about the UI? Is it easy to read and figure out? In the beta, you couldn't tell what in the flying fuck was going on in combat... all was just messed together.. Hope they fixed that-.

roshan

Arcane
How about the UI? Is it easy to read and figure out? In the beta, you couldn't tell what in the flying fuck was going on in combat... all was just messed together.. Hope they fixed that-.

I never played the beta, but I can guarantee you this is still the case. Retarded SFX all over the place to the point that you can't see what the hell is going on. And most of the SFX is totally meaningless. For example, while fighting some bandits, I kept getting a line of fiery orange circles on my characters. The retarded thing was that these orange circles never came from the bandits, sometimes they came from the opposite direction, other times they were like a line across a character. Made no sense at all. When I use abilities like critical strike, there's no way to see or tell if it actually happened.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So... is it shit.. or is it good?

It's good, no question. My biggest beef is the way disengagement works, but no game is without it's flaws, and so far this has less than any other Kickstarter I've played.

SFX is still p. bad but nowhere near as bad as in the BETA IMO.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The level cap is 4? And I'm already 4lvl... with 6h in. They said this game will take 100h with optional content? That's weak guys. :/

EDIT: I meant cap lvl 8.

Last edited:

Diablo169

Arcane
The level cap is 4? And I'm already 4lvl... with 6h in. They said this game will take 100h with optional content? That's weak guys. :/

Everything I've read indicates that the cap is 12?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom