Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Hegel

Arcane
32 bit CPU?

roshan

Arcane
As a druid with Calisica, I'm finding the very start of PotD nearly impossible. The buffs to enemy DEF and ACC are killing me. How are you all finding it? Are you playing with tank-like PCs?

Playing with a rogue with 18 STR and 20 DEX and it's really easy. The trick is to spam whatever abilities I have and capitalize on the sneak attacks that follow. But that's each and every battle ad nauseam.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the upside is that you've convinced me that you're honestly not a self-deluded exploiter in disguise. Sorry, you threw me off at first with all that idiotic talk about wasting dev time. :)

Facetious "just hack then" jabs aside, there really is a simple solution to your problem ... don't level up until you're ready to level up. Games don't "owe" you partial level-ups or points you can spend whenever you want. Older games never do this. Regardless of the reasons that a more "digital" leveling system was implemented (reasons I still completely agree with), it's not "wrong" that you don't get the more "analog" system you want. You want to wait to level until you get to town, wait to level until you get to town. If you absolutely need the hit points right now, then make a decision.

Last edited:
After throwing $250 at a signed collectors edition, I've pretty much avoided all PoE related news/progress for the duration of it's subsequent development... My question, while I'm inclined to install the kickstarter royal edition right now, are there any major kinks/bugs and/or updates worth waiting for?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Man... this pathfinding... this AI. My mages go before my fighters, because why not? Or my warrior just jumps after his enemy on a chokepoint - enemies swarm to the back line.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After throwing $250 at a signed collectors edition, I've pretty much avoided all PoE related news/progress for the duration of it's subsequent development... My question, while I'm inclined to install the kickstarter royal edition right now, are there any major kinks/bugs and/or updates worth waiting for?
The only major bug I'm aware of is one guy who can't leave an area without crashing, and who doesn't have any save games banked before entering that area. Seems to be working as intended for most players. If you're just waiting for the game to be reasonably stable etc., I'd say install it, play it, make periodic hard saves.

Of course, if you have other games you're excited about right now, it can't hurt to wait. It's only been out one day and there are sure to be a couple of fairly rapid patches based on large-scale feedback.

Xenich

Cipher
Well, the upside is that you've convinced me that you're honestly not a self-deluded exploiter in disguise. :) Facetious "just hack then" jabs aside, there really is a simple solution to your problem ... don't level up until you're ready to level up. Games don't "owe" you partial level-ups or points you can spend whenever you want. Older games never do this. Regardless of the reasons that a more "digital" leveling system was implemented (reasons I still completely agree with), it's not "wrong" that you don't get the more "analog" system you want. You want to wait to level until you get to town, wait to level until you get to town. If you absolutely need the hit points right now, then make a decision.

Well, it doesn't break the game for me (not this, other things here I think may) and if I was really pissed at it and still wanted to play the game, I would mod it out. My comment was just that I think such types of "walls" in games really aren't needed. There are other ways to design a means to keep people like you from feeling like you are abusing the system rather than implementing gimmicks like these. I think they cheap skated out of the issue, that is all I was saying.

If you have seen my arguments in the past, you know I am HUGE on character development and so having as many options as possible and lots of flexibility is important to me. I mean, I think character development is pretty much the primary point of a cRPG so when I see them limit it as such, it annoys me.

Xorazm

Cipher
Roxor you might want to try this, apparently it's worked for some people:

Just thought I'd post this fix to try from the obsidian forums:

"Temporal solution that work it for me.

We will need 7zip or some program for open the savefiles.

1. Open 7zip and go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity in 7zip

2. Open your savefile inside 7zip, in my case 49c623f3-dc4c-4eb7-be78-4e5f14755a5c quicksave.savegame, and delete all the files with Raedric in its name.

3. Open Pillars of Eternity and enjoy.

The only problem with this is that you lose all your progress with this zone, you will have all the fog of war....Maybe this is a exploit to discover the maps over and over again to get the exp? I didn't try this yet."

This worked for me.

The bug has come up on the Steam forums. It's also being discussed on the Obsidian forums and the devs confirmed on reddit they're aware and working to fix it. Still a shame though.

Oh, Obsidian, you have the reputation you do for a reason. I'm 10 hours into the game - which I quite like - and still have yet to see an achievement unlock. Never even heard of that sort of thing happening before.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Roxor you might want to try this, apparently it's worked for some people:

Yeah, I read about it, but I'd rather wait for a hotfix before things get broken even further. With an issue apparently this common I'd imagine I won't have to wait long.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
As a druid with Calisica, I'm finding the very start of PotD nearly impossible. The buffs to enemy DEF and ACC are killing me. How are you all finding it? Are you playing with tank-like PCs?

I cleared the tutorial on PotD with a min-maxed glass cannon Cipher who never rested and also did all the solo stuff afterwards except for the bear cave. The Cipher's Blindness AoE debuff is very strong, and Soul Surge is a good damage spell; then you can get a charm spell at level 2 and can basically deal with everything.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I just started to mess around with lore skill and crafting. I was recently surprised when a scroll of shocking touch did 72 damage. The first level scrolls include shocking touch and fan of flames, which do decent damage and are not hard to make at all. I think one could definitely reduce early game difficulty with those scrolls.

I am curious what scrolls what can make in the beginning area with the bears and wolves.

Arkeus

Arcane
Man... this pathfinding... this AI. My mages go before my fighters, because why not? Or my warrior just jumps after his enemy on a chokepoint - enemies swarm to the back line.
I have found that making a custom party formation got rid of those issues myself.

Also, Spoilerrr question: Am i missing anything by finishing up the Church quest (first village) via mechanic in the second floor?

Xorazm

Cipher

If you have seen my arguments in the past, you know I am HUGE on character development and so having as many options as possible and lots of flexibility is important to me. I mean, I think character development is pretty much the primary point of a cRPG so when I see them limit it as such, it annoys me.

This is a bit of a side point, but it's always struck me as really interesting how so many people can be drawn to RPGs because of things that other RPG fans couldn't care less about. Character creation means almost nothing to me, and I'm honestly kind of annoyed by wide open systems - feels like it cheapens the central narrative if everything in the story could have been done by just anyone. If you have to write a story that one of several dozen race/gender combinations could tackle then it seems to me like you've watered down the central narrative. The gold standard in my mind remains something like Betrayal at Krondor - an in-depth narrative written around the development of several thoroughly fleshed out characters. If Owyn in that game could have been some pink-haired half-Orc it would have shattered his backstory and compromised his overall arc, leading to a less structured and meaningful experience.

That's by no means a criticism, of course, just personal preference in terms of how I approach RPGs. The main point I'm making is that what makes RPGs so singular as a genre is that it can attract so many people who deeply love it and yet at the same time disagree so deeply on what they love above it. If there's another category of games (or anything, really) with that feature, with that sort of kaleidoscopic audience, I'm not aware of it, and it's a really fascinating, really peculiar quirk about role playing games.

This was all brought home to me by Dragon Age Inquisition - the first game I ever played where not only could I not have any fun with it, but I couldn't even imagine how a person possibly could. Turns out there's people who care way, way, way more about certain aspects of RPGs that have never made the slightest difference to me. When I was doing my bewildered best to understand why this game wasn't going down in flames I came across plenty of posts stating a version of the above - that what really matters in an RPG is the story, with challenging combat more or less a bonus. This is a complete inversion of how I'd always thought about RPGs - a great story is a wonderful bonus (and Pillars of Eternity seems to be delivering in that regard), but the game lives or dies on its combat.

In order of importance - PoE is delivering a meaningful challenge, the upgrades are arriving quickly enough to keep me interested and keep the combat fresh, the exploration so far is rewarding and the story is intriguing. You guys can argue about torches and lighting effects all day long but to me those are just finicky details I just have to accept for some reason matter to some people. So far PoE is delivering on my core expectations so I consider myself pleasantly pleased.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Sensuki, I noticed you made a couple of posts on the Obsidian forum regarding HandleD3DDeviceLost in the output log. Have you ever figured out what was causing it?

RPGMaster

Savant
Jesus Christ, how many hps do these outlaws have?! You call this balance Sawyer?!

Metatron

Augur
This was all brought home to me by Dragon Age Inquisition - the first game I ever played where not only could I not have any fun with it, but I couldn't even imagine how a person possibly could. Turns out there's people who care way, way, way more about certain aspects of RPGs that have never made the slightest difference to me. When I was doing my bewildered best to understand why this game wasn't going down in flames I came across plenty of posts stating a version of the above - that what really matters in an RPG is the story, with challenging combat more or less a bonus. This is a complete inversion of how I'd always thought about RPGs - a great story is a wonderful bonus (and Pillars of Eternity seems to be delivering in that regard), but the game lives or dies on its combat. .
The thing about Dragon Age: Inquisition was that it had a weak, thin overal story that is probably the worst Bioware has ever written (because instead they chose to focus on including a gazillion collect quest) making the fanboy "I play this just for the story!" argument completely retarded.

Anyway, I went in more or less blind (didn't play any Early access) in POE and so far I like what I'm seeing. At the very least it seems like a finished and nicely presented product which is a nice change after eg Wasteland, a game that despite some things they got right did everything to discourage the player at the same time. And seriously, I know Roguey did a number on this place but stuff like this nitpicking over a particular chandelier that didn't get the lighting completely right to prove this game can't be anything but complete shit is pretty pathethic.

Malpercio

Arcane
Played a bit.

One does wonder what's the point of a new setting if most things feel like "D&D Reskined". Have fun re-learning all prists and mages abilities again! I mean, there are certantly interesting plot points (particulary in regard to the main quest), but also getting a feeling "been there, done that".

Don't have any problem with menus and the like, then again I (trigger warning) like rtcwp. Feels more BG1 than 2 so far.

Athelas

Arcane
The butthurt in this thread is hilarious. :lol: You have Darth Roxor saying PoE's character system feels too much like an MMO's...and then praising a character system that has stuff like cooldowns and equipment with level restrictions and saying it is better than PoE's.

Then you have roshan complaining that spell VFX are too glowy and flashy while simultaneously complaining that a chandelier only lights a small section of the wall instead of casting bloom all over the place.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Played a bit.

One does wonder what's the point of a new setting if most things feel like "D&D Reskined". Have fun re-learning all prists and mages abilities again! I mean, there are certantly interesting plot points (particulary in regard to the main quest), but also getting a feeling "been there, done that".

Like JES said, it is relatively risk free to go with a generic fantasy setting because somehow people just like humans, elves and paladins. More obscure setting might scare potential customers away, vice versa I doubt many who find generic fantasy settings boring would not buy it if the game is cool.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is a bit of a side point, but it's always struck me as really interesting how so many people can be drawn to RPGs because of things that other RPG fans couldn't care less about. Character creation means almost nothing to me

I have bad news for you: if you don't care about character creation then you don't care about RPGs. Character creation is what makes something an RPG. If an RPG has shit character creation then it's a shit RPG. It may still be a good game but it's a shit RPG.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

True Infinity Engine experience :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom