Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I think the game definitely lacks an initial hook. Watching bad men do some weird shit that possibly affects you isn't really a strong story hook.

well, it's not really reflected in the game's mechanics, but after the awakening the pc can't sleep. he's tortured from souls of the past, and there's the possibility of slowly drifting into retardo land. dunno about you, but that's what would keep me on my heels to get help.

Last edited:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
LOL Because he can distinguish when the bonus apply and when not.:lol: Totally game-braking :lol: He notice it after it has been deeply covered on forums and he had been playing the game for days. :lol: Fuck Neo Gaf, if they would have stayed quiet, this guy wouldn't have noticed.

doesn't it show on the character sheet?

Yes, but again, he notice this now after several days playing!? When it has been confirmed very recently that some passive get lost forever and is not just an UI issue? (I think some are just UI issues, but I'm not sure, I'm not have been informing since this morning, never use the double click personally, so I just warned my usual forum about the issue and moved on)

Sorry, but I have little faith on most reviewers. They're like spoiled childs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey badler, why did you guys remove the "Game Mechanics" board from your forums? Pillars of Eternity General Discussion is a huge mess of newbies now and there's nowhere good to discuss gameplay improvements for upcoming versions.

Duraframe300

Arcane
LOL Because he can distinguish when the bonus apply and when not.:lol: Totally game-braking :lol: He notice it after it has been deeply covered on forums and he had been playing the game for days. :lol: Fuck Neo Gaf, if they would have stayed quiet, this guy wouldn't have noticed.

Yes, but again, he notice this now after several days playing!? When it has been confirmed very recently that some passive get lost forever and is not just an UI issue? (I think some are just UI issues, but I'm not sure, I'm not have been informing since this morning, never use the double click personally, so I just warned my usual forum about the issue and moved on)

Sensuki mentioned that he didn't notice it in the pre-release version. So might as well have crept in with the day1 patch.

Shannow

Waster of Time
How are people playing with regards to reputation/personality traits. I started with them on but have played with them off a while. I have to say I vastly prefer it.
Those notifications get incredibly on my nerves. And sadly, turning them off only turns off some of them, not all :roll:
Which ones can't you disable? You should be able to disable everything from stat/skill checks to reputation modifiers.
Huh? After turning mine off, I have none.

EDIT: Or do you mean skill requirements and stat requirements? You can turn those off as well.
Unless I'm missing something. This is how my options look:
RoPl8EW.jpg
And just as the description says, I still get all qualifiers that do not unlock new conversation options (ie. all the flavour options are still displayed, [Stoic], [Cruel], etc.). The qualifiers are only removed for the real C&C options.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey badler, why did you guys remove the "Game Mechanics" board from your forums? Pillars of Eternity General Discussion is a huge mess of newbies now and there's nowhere good to discuss gameplay improvements for upcoming versions.

The subforum Pillars of Eternity: Characters Builds, Strategies & the Unity Engine (Spoiler Warning!) is probably meant for that, but the name is misleading.

Yeah, I saw that, but it seems more about players sharing party-building tips with each other than about critiquing the game.

Metatron

Augur
6/10 incoming from gamespot:

Argleblargle. Quick! What is the best way to calm yourself after you realize a bug might force you to restart a long game?

Not sure if a patch can restore points spent on passive bonuses that have since been lost, however. Game-ruining bug :(

So angry right now. C'mon, Obsidian. What a total killer. Praying for a patch that at least restores racial passives.

Goddamnit. I don't want to have to lose all this time in Pillars of Eternity. Totally game-breaking.

PSA: Do not double click items in your inventory to equip them in Pillars of Eternity. Your character will lose all buffs, forever.

Source: https://twitter.com/fiddlecub

They really should release a hotfix for this asap though or you can except this to severly affect review scores.

Athelas

Arcane
RoPl8EW.jpg
And just as the description says, I still get all qualifiers that do not unlock new conversation options (ie. all the flavour options are still displayed, [Stoic], [Cruel], etc.). The qualifiers are only removed for the real C&C options.
Untick 'Show Personality/Reputations'.

Argleblargle. Quick! What is the best way to calm yourself after you realize a bug might force you to restart a long game?

Not sure if a patch can restore points spent on passive bonuses that have since been lost, however. Game-ruining bug :(

So angry right now. C'mon, Obsidian. What a total killer. Praying for a patch that at least restores racial passives.

Goddamnit. I don't want to have to lose all this time in Pillars of Eternity. Totally game-breaking.

PSA: Do not double click items in your inventory to equip them in Pillars of Eternity. Your character will lose all buffs, forever.

They really should release a hotfix for this asap though or you can except this to severly affect review scores.
It's too late for that. As in, those reviewers already gave the game a 9.2 Metacritic score. :smug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, I got critically hit with a barrage of bugs all of a sudden. Game crashing on scene transition (same bug with Raedric's hold already mentioned earlier ITT), questgivers going hostile on me for no reason, stats behaving funny. Amusingly enough, this is the first Obsidian game where I've experienced crashes of any kind; not even Alpha Protocol crashed on me once.

I guess I'll pick this up in a few months after it gets patched up a bit.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Sensuki mentioned that he didn't notice it in the pre-release version. So might as well have crept in with the day1 patch.

Well, that would explain a couple of things. I still think he wouldn't noticed, honestly, but my complaint is mostly butthurt, don't want to see the scores go down. Funny, considering I think scores are useless and conterproductive for consumers, but they aren't for Obsidian, so I want this to do as well as possible.

Metatron

Augur
RoPl8EW.jpg

It's too late for that. As in, those reviewers already gave the game a 9.2 Metacritic score. :smug:

20 reviews on metacritic currently, a game like this usually end up getting 40ish reviews. So that's only half.

Shannow

Waster of Time
RoPl8EW.jpg
Thx. Somehow I thought that meant showing the changes on your char sheet :oops: (Still think it should be default off, though.)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So, I got critically hit with a barrage of bugs all of a sudden. Game crashing on scene transition (same bug with Raedric's hold already mentioned earlier ITT), questgivers going hostile on me for no reason, stats behaving funny. Amusingly enough, this is the first Obsidian game where I've experienced crashes of any kind; not even Alpha Protocol crashed on me once.

I think waiting and starting a new game later is probably the best idea for everybody. There are many bugs related to save games, including stacking effects, permanent stat changes, and massive bloat (800+ MB for a quicksave) that eventually renders them impossible to load. If anyone makes it to the endgame despite all the bugs, it'll be because they have massively inflated stats due to the bug that reapplies all your stat boosts on save/load. Playing now is just a waste of time IMHO.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron

I think waiting and starting a new game later is probably the best idea for everybody. There are many bugs related to save games, including massive bloat (800+ MB for a quicksave), stacking effects, and permanent stat changes, that eventually renders them impossible to load. If anyone makes it to the endgame despite all the bugs, it'll be because they have massively inflated stats due to the bug that reapplies all your stat boosts on save/load. Playing now is just a waste of time IMHO.
How does the inflated stats bug occurs?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
What are those bugs you guys speak of O_o
Biggest bug I've encountered so far (nearly 30 hours of gameplay) is losing my traps after loading. Funny thing is they return after I reload once more. Other than this had some minor "artifact" glitches and freaky mirror images that persist after a wizards death. And some very minor annoyences.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My favorite bug so far is the one where, if you have an enchanted piece of equipment in one of your stash tab slots, items in the same slot position in other tabs will also show the enchantment border.

Then there's the bug where, when you defeat the
Spider Queen
and take the shortcut up to the courtyard of Caed Nua, when you examine the trapdoor again it opens a blank map that you can't do anything with.

How do they not catch that sort of thing in testing? It boggles the mind.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
At some point during gameplay, your saves will "break" and start letting boosts from items and modals stack with themselves on save/load. Here are some reports:

bonus from toggleable skills/boosts/etc remains permanent after save/load

A way to reproduce the problem - get my savegame:

https://www.dropbox....e.savegame?dl=0

(the warrior - check his nutty defence stats - should be half of that -.-)

Turn "defender" off, save the game, turn it on again - see that he have more defs now

I think this is the root of the many alike problems - stat modifiers that should be temporary go permanent

Upon loading a game where you have equipped the "Amulet of Health" your character's maximum Endurance will go up by 15.

Steps to reproduce are simple:

1. Equip the Amulet of Health on a character, in my example on Aloth. Make a note of his modified Endurance stat.

2. Save the game.

3. Leave the game by going to the main menu

4. Load the game anew and observe that the Endurance stat is now 15 points higher than it was when you saved it.

Issue: Durance appears to be steadily gaining permanent increases to his intellect from The Talisman of Unconquerable.

Steps to reproduce: I didn't notice this at first so I'm not sure exactly what's going on.

1. Equip the Talisman of the Unconquerable on Durance

2. Travel, fight and rest with him for some time

3. Note that his intellect slowly inceases

ziYLele.jpg

CaHgtOx.jpg

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Havent experienced any bugs so far and no crashes either (15 hours in). This does sound worrying though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, it's official.

It's time for everyone to play Baldur's Gate II again while the grand retards of the Obsidian Order finish beta testing the game for us.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Shannow: Just untick reputation..?

EDIT: oh, ninja'd

I think waiting and starting a new game later is probably the best idea for everybody. There are many bugs related to save games, including stacking effects, permanent stat changes, and massive bloat (800+ MB for a quicksave) that eventually renders them impossible to load. If anyone makes it to the endgame despite all the bugs, it'll be because they have massively inflated stats due to the bug that reapplies all your stat boosts on save/load. Playing now is just a waste of time IMHO.

I still have nearly no bugs (except for all my items being greyed out even though it has no effect), so I'm crossing my fingars :M

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
At some point during gameplay, your saves will "break" and start letting boosts from items and modals stack with themselves on save/load. Here are some reports:
Thanks. Do you know what can cause this? It's unavoidable?

I will check searching for this stuff when starting the game again. I haven't noticed anything off thus far.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I managed to clear Raedric's Hold but I'm still unable to exit that place. :D

Raedric fight on hard was a nice challenge, enjoying the game more and more as time goes on, also starting to get a grip on the engagement mechanic.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
wasnt this shit in open beta for like half a year jesus christ

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom