Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ nope, it's all up to you, as evidenced by the frustration of codexers who are not... adept, at rtwp combat

I still have nearly no bugs (except for all my items being greyed out even though it has no effect)

are you talking about the "sort by category" icon? it greys out items on purpose, and there's no "show all categories" button... slightly a bit irritated by this!

Eh... I might be? Where is this icon?

Athelas

Arcane
And here is another thing that grinds my gears, you're in a deep dungeon undersea in another dimension (hypothetical) when suddenly you pick up this awesome Grimoire off a dead necromancer, giddy you open it up and find out he has a powerful meteor spell on it, you click the button to learn it, imagining your wizard painstakingly transcribing the spell from one book to another... PLEASE PAY 800 COPPER PIECES TO CONTINUE. Christ, and why are higher lvl spells more expensive to transcribe than lower level spells? I'm starting to believe Sawyer is an idiot, he may have the knack for by the number decisions but anything that requires imagination he's horrible at it.
Maybe's it's the fantasy equivalent of DRM.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
And here is another thing that grinds my gears, you're in a deep dungeon undersea in another dimension (hypothetical) when suddenly you pick up this awesome Grimoire off a dead necromancer, giddy you open it up and find out he has a powerful meteor spell on it, you click the button to learn it, imagining your wizard painstakingly transcribing the spell from one book to another... PLEASE PAY 800 COPPER PIECES TO CONTINUE. Christ, and why are higher lvl spells more expensive to transcribe than lower level spells? I'm starting to believe Sawyer is an idiot, he may have the knack for by the number decisions but anything that requires imagination he's horrible at it.

because this is totally not dnd and you are totally not scribing scrolls

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The bounty missions are disappointingly easy at level 9 on Hard. I thought they were max level challenges :(

My impressions of priests has gone up dramatically. My main character is a priest and I have also taken Durance. My experience on Hard has been:
  • Holy Radiance almost one-shots most undead/vessel enemies.
  • The talent burning Radiance does decent damage in the beginning.
  • Warding Seal can be stacked before a fight (with 2 priests at level 9, I can stack 12). Each seals does about 50 damage AoE.
  • Burning Seal and Pillar of Flame do decent Aoe Damage.
  • Withdraw can keep party members up and possibly screw up enemy AI and pathing with un-attackable members(still need to test the latter more).
  • Early lore bonus allows use of Fan of Flames scroll.
  • Halt is a good early game tool.
I was annoyed that the buffs were kind of meaningless, but the above makes up for it.

edit: I should add that Slicken also is a key element that makes a lot of fights easy. It is hard to image that a level 1 spell can do some much more for a fight than upper level spells.

Renegen

Arcane
And here is another thing that grinds my gears, you're in a deep dungeon undersea in another dimension (hypothetical) when suddenly you pick up this awesome Grimoire off a dead necromancer, giddy you open it up and find out he has a powerful meteor spell on it, you click the button to learn it, imagining your wizard painstakingly transcribing the spell from one book to another... PLEASE PAY 800 COPPER PIECES TO CONTINUE. Christ, and why are higher lvl spells more expensive to transcribe than lower level spells?

Balance, Balance.
Totally, but here you see Sawyerism in action. Here is how an adult human being with fully developed emotional faculties would balance this, you make it free and reduce all game gold by 3%.

Athelas

Arcane
I was annoyed that the buffs were kind of meaningless, but the above makes up for it.
Anything that raises accuracy is a potent buff, don't bother with anything else.

potatojohn

Arcane
Does anyone know what to do with the
skuldr meat
and the
Engwitan scepter parts
?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree on the accuracy buffs, but I usually do not need to use them. I have Eder and Slicken to block enemies. Then I use my priests to beat everything down. It is not what I expected.

I forgot to add that Divine Mark does great damage in my opinion.

and the
Engwitan scepter parts
?

The dock work with the quest will send you to someone in the Sanitarium. That person will put the scepter back together if you pay them. Alternatively you can sell it to them, but not for much

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And here is another thing that grinds my gears, you're in a deep dungeon undersea in another dimension (hypothetical) when suddenly you pick up this awesome Grimoire off a dead necromancer, giddy you open it up and find out he has a powerful meteor spell on it, you click the button to learn it imagining your wizard painstakingly transcribing the spell from one book to another... PLEASE PAY 800 COPPER PIECES TO CONTINUE. Christ, and why are higher lvl spells more expensive to transcribe than lower level spells? I'm starting to believe Sawyer is an idiot, he may have the knack for by the number decisions but anything that requires imagination he's horrible at it.
Well, obviously your grimoire is made of soul power right. And higher level spells have more soul energy. Coppar which copper pieces are made of, is well known to be a good conductor of soul energy. So more soul energy=more copper.

Doesn't explain why it is used up though :M

Shannow

Waster of Time
Do party NPCs use spells automatically? Is there a way to change combat AI like in Infinity Engine?
No and no. But you could simply re-play DA:O or NWN2 :M
The more I play the more retarded design this game has. I encounter Forest Lurkers for the first time ever, one of my dudes gets 2 shot and dies so I try to run away (which is already shitty enough because of "no kiting"). They make it out of the battle but then because they left a bro behind, he permanently dies and fails a quest, thus I'm forced to reload. In previous IE games, everyone but 1 gets wiped, not a big deal you just res them much later and you can continue on your journey.

Here it's like you encounter someone, no running, don't leave anyone behind, if you can't win every encounter 100% of the time then reload. Fuck, this stupid design forces me to switch to normal it's so bad.
Only not.
1. Git gud. It required 6 restarts for me to find a viable character build. I demand everybody else put in as much effort!
2. You can run around as much as you like. Just don't get engaged. If you do get engaged, use one of several options to escape or refer to 1.
3. Don't be riduculous, if you lost several companions early in BG, you'd not be able to lug their equipment around and you'd not be able to afford resurrection.
4. PE actually allows party-members to go down and get back up after a fight, while still retaining a death-mechanic. It's far more forgiving than IE games.
5. Demanding that you never have to re-load on "Hard"...

What is this, I don't even.
There is plenty of stuff to criticize in PE, but please keep it reasonable.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
+Accuracy is indeed a potent buff, and -Accuracy on enemies is a potent debuff.

A party of four Rogues with high Accuracy/weapon focus talents/decent enchants and two Priests would probably be p. gud in this game, because that way your debuffs would actually work more than half of the time, and you'd be dishing out some serious punishment while being buffed/healed out the wazoo.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I have a feeling the most r00flestompy party you could make would just be 6 rain jerks with 6 bear companions.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know what to do with the
skuldr meat
So far, I could only give mine to the Xaulip in the first dungeon with Calisca, the famished one that doesn't attack you on sight. He accepted it, we exchanged weapons after that or something, and he was cool with me or something. No sure what else afterwards.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(Still think it should be default off, though.)

The people who need them the most would likely never look at the options screen. Those most annoyed by them (advanced users if you will) would.

Transparency ftw as far as I'm concerned.

But come on, this was Obsidian a full scale RPG made in 29 months.

Fixed, just to remind you about inXile and LA.

And here is another thing that grinds my gears, you're in a deep dungeon undersea in another dimension (hypothetical) when suddenly you pick up this awesome Grimoire off a dead necromancer, giddy you open it up and find out he has a powerful meteor spell on it, you click the button to learn it imagining your wizard painstakingly transcribing the spell from one book to another... PLEASE PAY 800 COPPER PIECES TO CONTINUE. Christ, and why are higher lvl spells more expensive to transcribe than lower level spells? I'm starting to believe Sawyer is an idiot, he may have the knack for by the number decisions but anything that requires imagination he's horrible at it.

You can use that meteor spell perfectly fine for free from that specific grimoire. If you want the freedom to be able to place it in any other grimoire, you have to pay the price.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
You can use that meteor spell perfectly fine for free from that specific grimoire. If you want the freedom to be able to place it in any other grimoire, you have to pay the price.

Indeed, and since you can quickslots multiple grimoirs with multiple spell selections and change during combat between them, you're really not FORCED to scribing anything.
Apart from that, do what I do, only scribe when at an inn/stronghold, and consider it a normal scribing fee for the abstraction of components, ink, research and whatnot it entails...or something :)

Renfri

Cipher
26h played so far. Once had to reload cos quest npc vanished. Combat is what it is, but writing, art and music is good stuff.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've had none of any kind of game breaking bug that I've noticed.

I have to agree with those taking issue with how the player is meant to interface with the story. The hook hasn't grabbed me at all.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any way to make chars visible when fighting under/behind some archway or something?

Po_Escr.jpg

I can't see shit here.

Nope. Planescape: Torment also had the same problem and Tim Cain obviously suffers from amnesia so he didn't implement Fallout's wall translucency. I already noticed it in beta and was planning to give some feedback on it - unfortunately I was discouraged on writing any feedback after I saw how Obsidian mostly ignored anything critical written by Sensuki.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have a feeling the most r00flestompy party you could make would just be 6 rain jerks with 6 bear companions.
For extra lulz, make them aumeuas, and carry 3( or 4 with talent?) pairs of guns so you can fire three shots without needing to reload.

Shannow

Waster of Time

Indeed, and since you can quickslots multiple grimoirs with multiple spell selections and change during combat between them, you're really not FORCED to scribing anything.
And how would one do this? Possible mild spoiler:
OAqxFUT.jpg
So the only spells that show up are those that Aloth actually knows...:M

Kym2zjH.png

ybfDpGA.png

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

And how would one do this? Possible mild spoiler:

Hmm, report it as a bug maybe? Pretty sure their intent was to allow freedom via grimoir use.
I don't use/bother about wizards much myself on release, just keeping Aloth around for story purposes not really what he can and can't do, but I'll double check, see if it's the same on my side (probably is).

If it's by design however, then I do completely agree with you: sucks balls :)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Since people asked about the Save/Load bug that makes temporary stat boosts permanent, there's been some progress:

It is actually kinda weird because it seems that it is somewhat related to Gilded Vale location, at least in my gameplay.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Load this savegame: https://www.dropbox....k.savegame?dl=0

2. Notice Eder's deflection stat value.

3. Go with your party to Gilded Vale.

3. Save/Load

4. Notice Eder's deflection stat value has raised up.

But if you go to another location instead (I tested Black Meadow) and save/load there the bug does not happen. Or if you go to Gilded Vale and then to another location and save/load there is no bug either.

So people who haven't been hit by the bug might never have save/loaded in the Gilded Vale outside map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom