Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Yeah, I don't understand this either. Of course +10 accuracy is very, very good, but the benefits of having another weapon with +5 accuracy and plenty of enchantments in your off-hand seem to be a bit greater. And the one-handed style talent with "30% of grazes converted to hits" isn't exactly a huge effect either.

Regarding two weapon style are most attacks done by weapon in main hand? I didn't really pay much attention to it and thought it was balanced (50-50).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Auto attacks alternate between weapons, special attacks depend on whether it says "full attack" (using both weapons at once for super mega damage if you are dual wielding) or "primary attack" (only mainhand).

Generally Full Attacks are common enough and give so much extra damage for dw build that it's rarely worth worrying about.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Oh ffs.
Facepalm.gif
Thanks.

Tbh, I missed that door too. I find that there are many places in this game where it's actually easy to miss doors or corridors because they are drawn pretty badly (heavily shaded and shit). I also missed the entire priest floor in Hotel California because I entered it from the upper ramparts and couldn't for the life of mine spot the fucking corridor heading off to the right, so I just went down to the main hall level :/

Shadenuat

Arcane
Durance is just a warhammer 40k character, no idea what's supposed to be so supercool about him.

WITCHCRAFT HERESY AND MUTATION PURGE IT IN FLAMES

YOUR SICKNESS HAS BUT ONE CURE AND I SHALL DELIVER IT

of course it's only all the more suitable to change his avatar to that of a bruva apothecary
He has so many unlocks and they're so slow to get that you'll have to play a while untiil his story would start making sense

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I do not want to speculate, since I have not finished the story, but I get a semi-Kreia vibe from Grieving Mother.
She wants to "help" you, but she seems to have her own agenda for what you need to do for the world. Also, she starts off benign, but you see through how manipulative and controlling she is. She implants false memories, and if I remember correctly, she may have given you a false memory in the beginning.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What I like about Durance is that you can throw his speeches right back at him if you have high enough lore and/or intellect.

Whoever wrote him was obviously influenced by Dak'kon, but instead of the solemn sage we got the passionate preacher. He's a pretty cool character.
it's MCA

No, as you'll find on the previous pages in Bubbles ' quote, MCA might have fostered the character, but it seems he didn't write him.

Durance is just a warhammer 40k character, no idea what's supposed to be so supercool about him.

WITCHCRAFT HERESY AND MUTATION PURGE IT IN FLAMES

YOUR SICKNESS HAS BUT ONE CURE AND I SHALL DELIVER IT

of course it's only all the more suitable to change his avatar to that of a bruva apothecary

Pure reductionism. Might as well say Dak'kon is just Qui Gon Gin. While they might share superficial characteristics, there was a point to Dak'kon's stories, and there are to Durance's as well. Furthermore his character uses the setting's themes to express emotion, while most of the other characters just express the setting's themes, as wood a campaign guide.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That's an interesting way to think of Durance Grunker.
Both Dakkon and Durance are having crises of faith. I especially like how Durance's response is to venerate Magran's symbols rather than Magran directly (war, fire, etc).

Yeah, that too. I also love his hatred towards all her worshippers, it's beautiful. The best superficial character trait is his insistense on using "derogatory" slang for his own divine patron. He's like a combination of a passionate war cleric and an 80's hippie on an emancipation crusade. There are some Book of Job themes as well what with all his projection of trials and tests onto others which stem from a burning desire to be judged himself. It's cool bruv.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Durance is hard to pin down right now (at my point in his dialogue), but I think his fanaticism is all a show/blanket, because he does not know what else to do.

I think he is less certain than Eder, and Eder's god is "dead."

ArchAngel

Arcane
I turned on the option that my characters don't autoattack but the melee guys still do that :( Like they kill someone and decide to go attack someone else.. pretty irritating.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes. The problem with the story can be summed up with the fact that you have no reason to care or anything to feel invested in. The only actual people with motivations and goals here are the NPCs. Your character is looking for a new home, and he finds that after 10 hours. After that it's just a MacGuffin quest.
Seriously? Are we playing the same game? Did you meet Maerwald?

Remember how being a Watcher turned him into a raving lunatic, and he told you that the same thing is going to happen to you unless the Leaden Key cures you? How much more personal can it get than that? What do you need, your daughter blown up in a car bomb by the goddamn Defiance Bay Mafia?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I turned on the option that my characters don't autoattack but the melee guys still do that :( Like they kill someone and decide to go attack someone else.. pretty irritating.

Yeah, the AI for partymembers is bugged. I'm experiencing the opposite of you sometimes, i.e. I have the option turned off and my characters don't switch auto.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes. The problem with the story can be summed up with the fact that you have no reason to care or anything to feel invested in. The only actual people with motivations and goals here are the NPCs. Your character is looking for a new home, and he finds that after 10 hours. After that it's just a MacGuffin quest.
Seriously? Are we playing the same game? Did you meet Maerwald?

Remember how being a Watcher turned him into a raving lunatic, and he told you that the same thing is going to happen to you unless the Leaden Key cures you? How much more personal can it get than that? What do you need, your daughter blown up in a car bomb by the goddamn Defiance Bay Mafia?

I think Maerwald is the game's deepest low point writing-wise so far. See my posts on the subject earlier in the thread. The game asks you to take your first personalized step into this role it has bestows upon you, and the first choice consists of three poorly contextualized and vague options that you have no meaningful connection to.

potatojohn

Arcane
The dock work with the quest will send you to someone in the Sanitarium. That person will put the scepter back together if you pay them. Alternatively you can sell it to them, but not for much
So far, I could only give mine to the Xaulip in the first dungeon with Calisca, the famished one that doesn't attack you on sight. He accepted it, we exchanged weapons after that or something, and he was cool with me or something. No sure what else afterwards.
Thanks.

Also, seems my Kana bugged out at some point. He now has 26 Intellect. I'm pretty sure he starts with 22? (or was that a bug too? ffs)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I agree that Maerwald could be handled better. It was kind of a tease, but it makes a little more sense ahead of time, when your companions keep waking up because you are shouting in your sleep. I hate to say it, but it would be nice if there was a gameplay effect of the lack of sleep/insanity.

Such as ghosts fucking with you as you try to fight.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Also, seems my Kana bugged out at some point. He now has 26 Intellect. I'm pretty sure he starts with 22? (or was that a bug too? ffs)

That's the Save/load bug. Anything with oddly high stats seems to be the result of save/loading on specific maps. Temporary buffs from items or spells are turned into permanent buffs and start to stack with each other.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
it would be nice if there was a gameplay effect of the lack of sleep/insanity.

MotB proved to Obsidian that an entire game can be ruined feedback-wise by such mechanics. They are not like to go back to such things.

hiver

Auto attacks alternate between weapons, special attacks depend on whether it says "full attack" (using both weapons at once for super mega damage if you are dual wielding) or "primary attack" (only mainhand).

Generally Full Attacks are common enough and give so much extra damage for dw build that it's rarely worth worrying about.
I noticed some verrr nice stilettos and named daggers around.

Thats one thing where D:OS missed a big detail, but it may be that the awaited big hard mode may have an improved dual wielding for rogues, as i advised.

btw, ive taken the talent that allows me to heal a little bit of health on the fly. everyone should take that.

that would make me feel better.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
it would be nice if there was a gameplay effect of the lack of sleep/insanity.

MotB proved to Obsidian that an entire game can be ruined feedback-wise by such mechanics. They are not like to go back to such things.
I beg your pardon?

The idiots were up in arms about the spirit-eater mechanic, they really, really hated it. And we're talking about a mechanic where one of the two paths is specifically designed so you can just ignore the mechanic altogether almost.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Did anyone try builds with a single one handed weapon? They were terribad in BB, but supposedly JES 'balanced' them by buffing a bit. I don't see any benefit other than +10 accuracy.

Yeah, I don't understand this either. Of course +10 accuracy is very, very good, but the benefits of having another weapon with +5 accuracy and plenty of enchantments in your off-hand seem to be a bit greater. And the one-handed style talent with "30% of grazes converted to hits" isn't exactly a huge effect either.
Do not click if you consider build theorizing as a spoiler.
In theory there are good possibilities and synergies. +acc does not only affect accuracy but also crit chance (given how the mechanics work). Which I think is quite cool, btw.
As an orlan rogue with extra melee crit chance, rapier or spear and rogue extra crit chance you should be critting very often, and if you don't crit you should at least get a hit. Grazes and misses should be extremely rare.
With a monk you might not have quite the crit chance, but it should still be high. With enervating blows you can probably keep the enemy weakened quite reliably. Which in turn should synergize quite well with a rogue and his sneak attack.
Basically any melee-build that's supposed to crit reliably should go one-handed. But I don't imagine that it's really balanced and can keep up with other builds. (I'd still prefer an arbalest rogue for single target dmg + shutdown :M)

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Bester - I downloaded the IE mod from the Nexus to give myself that karakov UI. I put the files in my poe directory, overwriting the dll. Ingame the ie mod shows up in the optioms menu. I type in 'bb' in the console, but clicking on all the different ui options does nothing :( infact I cant even move ui elements. The only thing that works is the custom frame around the log.

I am using 1920x1080. What could be the problem?

EDIT: Nevermind, I am retarded. Didn't know I had to disable the stock solid UI first. :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom