Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Athelas

Arcane
The companion writing is very uneven. Not just in quality - Durance has like 5 different voice barks for entering into stealth, while the other companions seem to have only one. Odd.

Incidentally, Durance is by far the most awesome thing in this game.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
About Blood Pool:

What happens if I sacrifice one of my group members to it? Kinda tempted to do it but I want to experience all of them in my first playthrough so I let the poor druid live yet. Save scummed to try it but haven't notived any quick changes, a long termed C&C?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It's not even close.

I suspect his awesomeness is intesified somewhat by the fact that he's about the only human being in a world inhabited by reference works, making his already blooming humanity contrast even further with the bleak nature of his peers.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wonder who's actually responsible for Durance being what he is, considering:

Chris Avellone: "To be clear, and to give credit where credit is due on content contributions (I don’t want to steal anyone’s thunder), I wrote the first iterations of two companions (Durance and the Grieving Mother, who have been scaled down to about ¼ of what they were originally, and the Grieving Mother’s mental dungeon was excised as well, which was essentially a stealth adventure game inside her memories).

The final versions that are in the game are the province of other narrative designers, and I would be uncomfortable taking credit for the final implementation of the two characters. "

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
I still have nearly no bugs (except for all my items being greyed out even though it has no effect)
are you talking about the "sort by category" icon? it greys out items on purpose, and there's no "show all categories" button... slightly a bit irritated by this!

Eh... I might be? Where is this icon?

those buttons are in the inventory screen right beside your character's portait. suddenly i also noticed that you can untick them to get every item "visible".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I still have nearly no bugs (except for all my items being greyed out even though it has no effect)
are you talking about the "sort by category" icon? it greys out items on purpose, and there's no "show all categories" button... slightly a bit irritated by this!

Eh... I might be? Where is this icon?

those buttons are in the inventory screen right beside your character's portait. suddenly i also noticed that you can untick them to get every item "visible".

yep that was it :oops:

Shevek

Arcane
They did a nice balance with the exploration. It feels like a nice mix between BG2s central hub structure and BG1s wilderness.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fixed, just to remind you about inXile and LA.

I don't need reminding that you refuse to discuss this game's strengths and weaknesses without resorting to tactics like name-dropping a disappointing game or developer someone might have liked that one time.

Yes, your apologism knows no bounds, and no besmirchment can go undefended. Regardless of whom you choose to compare Obsidian to, whether there are extenuating circumstances, or whether or not some other developer fucked up even worse than they did, Obsidian is known for releasing some pretty buggy games and, as stated, it's pretty much to be expected.

Lhynn

Arcane

It's not even close.

I suspect his awesomeness is intesified somewhat by the fact that he's about the only human being in a world inhabited by reference works, making his already blooming humanity contrast even further with the bleak nature of his peers.
Shut up Grunker, durance is the only guy that has made me interested in the lore of a game that seems more intent of cramming said lore down my ass than in me playing the motherfucking game. Seriously, i dont give a shit about those info dumps this game likes to call dialogues, make it interesting or ill piss all over this shitty fake europe.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Did anyone try builds with a single one handed weapon? They were terribad in BB, but supposedly JES 'balanced' them by buffing a bit. I don't see any benefit other than +10 accuracy..

Shut up Grunker, durance is the only guy that has made me interested in the lore of a game that seems more intent of cramming said lore down my ass than in me playing the motherfucking game. Seriously, i dont give a shit about those info dumps this game likes to call dialogues, make it interesting or ill piss all over this shitty fake europe.
:bro:
Durance Infodump is the only infodump!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What I like about Durance is that you can throw his speeches right back at him if you have high enough lore and/or intellect.

Also, I think Eder is worth taking just for the commentary, especially what he says to Aloth and Durance. Normally, I find the humor forced, but I think the timing and the lack of banter helps it.

Eder trying to spend time with Aloth's split personality, and wondering whether the party could sacrifice Durance to the tower in Heritage Hall.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What I like about Durance is that you can throw his speeches right back at him if you have high enough lore and/or intellect.

Whoever wrote him was obviously influenced by Dak'kon, but instead of the solemn sage we got the passionate preacher. He's a pretty cool character.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Did anyone try builds with a single one handed weapon? They were terribad in BB, but supposedly JES 'balanced' them by buffing a bit. I don't see any benefit other than +10 accuracy.

Yeah, I don't understand this either. Of course +10 accuracy is very, very good, but the benefits of having another weapon with +5 accuracy and plenty of enchantments in your off-hand seem to be a bit greater. And the one-handed style talent with "30% of grazes converted to hits" isn't exactly a huge effect either.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Whoever wrote him was obviously influenced by Dak'kon, but instead of the solemn sage we got the passionate preacher. He's a pretty cool character.
it's MCA
And Durance is the only character who you can unlock step by step by spending time with him (maybe also Mother but I didn't like her) and always get a new topic to discuss. Topics relevant to main event in history of the setting and to what is happening around too. Everyone else is quest/rest locked and their quests end quickly. There's often nothing to talk about with them too.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Durance is just a warhammer 40k character, no idea what's supposed to be so supercool about him.

WITCHCRAFT HERESY AND MUTATION PURGE IT IN FLAMES

YOUR SICKNESS HAS BUT ONE CURE AND I SHALL DELIVER IT

of course it's only all the more suitable to change his avatar to that of a bruva apothecary

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
That's an interesting way to think of Durance Grunker.
Both Dakkon and Durance are having crises of faith. I especially like how Durance's response is to venerate Magran's symbols rather than Magran directly (war, fire, etc).

And Durance is the only character who you can unlock step by step by spending time with him (maybe also Mother but I didn't like her)

Grieving Mother is the same. I kept with her, and I think she could be right up there with Durance. It takes a couple dialogue unlocks before she says some really interesting things.

Did MCA also write Grieving Mother?

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hint about door/key
If you go down from the prison its the first door to the west next to the stairs. If you are inside this area just go to the NE corner and there should be a door there.

Oh ffs.
Facepalm.gif
Thanks.

Lhynn

Arcane
Durance is just a warhammer 40k character, no idea what's supposed to be so supercool about him.

WITCHCRAFT HERESY AND MUTATION PURGE IT IN FLAMES

YOUR SICKNESS HAS BUT ONE CURE AND I SHALL DELIVER IT

of course it's only all the more suitable to change his avatar to that of a bruva apothecary
Its cool because the setting that surrounds him isnt 40k, i wish it were tho. Also because he comes across as a really cool guy id love to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom