Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planescape: Torment is 25 years old this year. What are you hoping for?

It should never get a sequel. A new game in the Planescape setting, from a measured hand, would be nice. I wouldn't hold my breath though. I've been waiting decades for another Ravenloft game.

:negative:
Yes, a party based isometric Ravenloft would be amazing :incline:
I'd be down for an Eberron game in the same style.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Holy shit I just realized that I never considered the possibility of a new Torment by Larian.

:prosper:

Imagine 3D sex with Tiefling or succubus.
Well said and I agree, you must run to become president. I would vote for you :incline:

Brethren! Let's close our ranks!

They called us scalies. They called us furries. They called us Satanists. Today we say enough!

We are facing a breakthrough today and its name is "fully your dimensional succubus sex"! Don't let bacwarded forces take what is rightfully ours! This internet is built on fetishes. What would the Founding Fathers say in the days of paranoia.com if we told them that a modern net citizen had no access to virtual sex with a female demon? Wouldn't they look at us with disappointment?

Courage, brothers!

Planescape Torment 2: Continue the AWESOME saga of the nameless one in the hells, SLAYING tan'ari and other demons by the thousands! The new AMAZING action-RPG with stats such as Strenght, Speed and Dexterity will determine what kind of demon-slaying warrior you are! No enemy will escape you, and multiple special powers such as super-hiber-uber-multi-kill that kills 100 enemies at once, or hot-as-hells-inferno that will burn everyone in 10km2 will help you to achieve the ASTONISHING experience of a true warlord in hells as it should be! The new Planescape: Torment 2 will be what Planescape: Torment couldn't due to technical limitations, but the future is now and you can experience it for only $99.99!

You forgot about camo from Philosophy tube.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I hope no one comes up with the idea of refreshing the brand. Really, it's better left dead. While Baldur's Gate 3 can be considered at least a partially successful game because the setting was always been pulp and infantile, PT needs a slightly more intelligent approach and sense of taste. No one, especially Wizards, is going to give money to something that won't please former Tumblr users.
The sad reality of being a Codexer - having a favorite game and wishing it never gets a sequel...

FF3wZzuUcAAezbN

This isn't about games. This is what our entire society looks like.

BruceVC

Magister
Holy shit I just realized that I never considered the possibility of a new Torment by Larian.

Well said and I agree, you must run to become president. I would vote for you :incline:

They called us scalies. They called us furries. They called us Satanists. Today we say enough!

We are facing a breakthrough today and its name is "fully your dimensional succubus sex"! Don't let bacwarded forces take what is rightfully ours! This internet is built on fetishes. What would the Founding Fathers say in the days of paranoia.com if we told them that a modern net citizen had no access to virtual sex with a female demon? Wouldn't they look at us with disappointment?

Courage, brothers!

Planescape Torment 2: Continue the AWESOME saga of the nameless one in the hells, SLAYING tan'ari and other demons by the thousands! The new AMAZING action-RPG with stats such as Strenght, Speed and Dexterity will determine what kind of demon-slaying warrior you are! No enemy will escape you, and multiple special powers such as super-hiber-uber-multi-kill that kills 100 enemies at once, or hot-as-hells-inferno that will burn everyone in 10km2 will help you to achieve the ASTONISHING experience of a true warlord in hells as it should be! The new Planescape: Torment 2 will be what Planescape: Torment couldn't due to technical limitations, but the future is now and you can experience it for only $99.99!

On a serious note, thats one of things I was disappointed about in Planescape

It had good writing and memorable and fascinating companions. But you can only develop friendship with your companions, no real physical Romance

Whats the point of having a hot and friendly succubus in your party but you cant fuck her ..and she cant kill the Nameless One anyway. The developers and writers weren't thinking logically about that one :outrage:

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Courage, brothers!

On a serious note, thats one of things I was disappointed about in Planescape

It had good writing and memorable and fascinating companions. But you can only develop friendship with your companions, no real physical Romance

Whats the point of having a hot and friendly succubus in your party but you cant fuck her ..and she cant kill the Nameless One anyway. The developers and writers weren't thinking logically about that one :outrage:

If I remember correctly, Black Isle was planning some sort of romance, but it was never implemented properly. Restoration mods add something, but they are only single lines of dialogue.

Herumor

Scholar
My personal belief is that WotC is unlikely to try to push for a new torment as such, sooner a new planescape game if they want to raise awareness of the setting and sell more books or something.
I would be happy with a planescape game, not even a successor.
It would most likely be using the new books for the game's setting rather than the old 2E stuff, since WotC released a set of new books last year, I only know about it because I saw DiTerlizzi made some new artwork for it that I'm not a fan of:
planescape-bytonyditerlizzi.jpg

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
My personal belief is that WotC is unlikely to try to push for a new torment as such, sooner a new planescape game if they want to raise awareness of the setting and sell more books or something.
It would most likely be using the new books for the game's setting rather than the old 2E stuff, since WotC released a set of new books last year, I only know about it because I saw DiTerlizzi made some new artwork for it that I'm not a fan of:
This art style is so common now, and it communicates a belief in nothing. You can feel the artist's atheism in the work. This piece tells me that Good and Evil are not objective truths; they are relative to the intersection of gender, race, and sexuality. Therefore, Evil actions are Good if they are committed by the right people, and Good actions are Evil if committed by the wrong people. Look at the female-to-male ratio. This is a world that has been utterly emasculated; the remaining vestiges of the male form are ugly, stunted, and dead. The DnD you grew up with is dead. Put the nails in the coffin already and bury it.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
This art style is so common now, and it communicates a belief in nothing. You can feel the artist's atheism in the work. This piece tells me that Good and Evil are not objective truths; they are relative to the intersection of gender, race, and sexuality. Therefore, Evil actions are Good if they are committed by the right people, and Good actions are Evil if committed by the wrong people. Look at the female-to-male ratio. This is a world that has been utterly emasculated; the remaining vestiges of the male form are ugly, stunted, and dead. The DnD you grew up with is dead. Put the nails in the coffin already and bury it.

huh? the artwork is pretty similar to what's inside the books for 2E, what you guys are babbling about

La vie sexuelle

Learned
The style is childish and definitely worse than what Tony DiTerlizzi did... but tolerable, and the girls look like girls. It's really a lot these days.

Herumor

Scholar

huh? the artwork is pretty similar to what's inside the books for 2E, what you guys are babbling about
I disagree. It does bear some resemblance, I won't deny that, but this is clearly aping a look more oriented towards modern comic books and a genre of trash more commonly known as Marvel-slop.

Here's a few artworks from the older stuff DiTerlizzi did:
QOzXZXM.jpeg

1jY4K32.jpeg

x5Bkb7T.jpeg

tJTvhEU.jpeg
1HhGLDk.jpeg
PxpUnXL.jpeg

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

I disagree. It does bear some resemblance, I won't deny that, but this is clearly aping a look more oriented towards modern comic books and a genre of trash more commonly known as Marvel-slop.

Here's a few artworks from the older stuff DiTerlizzi did:
QOzXZXM.jpeg

1jY4K32.jpeg

x5Bkb7T.jpeg

tJTvhEU.jpeg
1HhGLDk.jpeg
PxpUnXL.jpeg
And that style (arguably) sucks, but the compositions are fundamentally different. The one I commented on has specific themes that it is communicating. These are themes that can't be communicated in single character portraits like the ones you posted.

Shaki

Arbiter
I hope Swen gets to do Torment 2, so Ignus companion quest can be about finding a way to cool him enough so he can suck PCs girldick. Also I hope we can finally skullfuck Morte.

Man, possibilities are truly endless. Wouldn't you like to see what masterful Belgian writers would let us do with Ravela, or Lady of Pain and her almy of helpers... can you even fuck a Dabus? I'm sure Swen would find a way to make it happen. RPGs are about fun, after all.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope Swen gets to do Torment 2, so Ignus companion quest can be about finding a way to cool him enough so he can suck PCs girldick. Also I hope we can finally skullfuck Morte.

Man, possibilities are truly endless. Wouldn't you like to see what masterful Belgian writers would let us do with Ravela, or Lady of Pain and her almy of helpers... can you even fuck a Dabus? I'm sure Swen would find a way to make it happen. RPGs are about fun, after all.

Yup. THen there's the Lady of Pain's cock to consider...

Tenebris

Scholar
I don't hope for anything. Anything we could possibly get related to Planescape now is going to be shit.

REhorror

Educated
I barely remember anything except Vhalor, the guy with the cool sword, Anna and Fall from Grace, and Morte.

Come to think of it, that's a lot.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Comparison to Tony DiTerlizzi's original Planescape art:

(1) Female Cat Lord on far left versus the same as depicted in the Monstrous Compendium appendix
(2) Gith on left of new art versus gith representing the Xaositect faction
(3) Human to the left of Lady of Pain in new art versus human representing the Clueless (people from the prime material plane)
(4) The Lady of Pain
(5) Modrons

diterlizzi-cat-lord-255.jpg
4hg8ro.png
9dpqca.png
wrwswa.png

axmmx1.png

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I hope no one comes up with the idea of refreshing the brand. Really, it's better left dead. While Baldur's Gate 3 can be considered at least a partially successful game because the setting was always been pulp and infantile, PT needs a slightly more intelligent approach and sense of taste. No one, especially Wizards, is going to give money to something that won't please former Tumblr users.
The sad reality of being a Codexer - having a favorite game and wishing it never gets a sequel...

FF3wZzuUcAAezbN
It's the current climate. You could sadly point to Disco Elysium and say "look, it could be made", but that would be the Monkey's Paw in its own right. Truth is sometimes it's better to linger in oblivion than to have your very soul rehashed to death.

jakkis

Novice
Entering the eternal war, all incarnations of TNO suddenly split up again: it's an action-packed MMO where thousands of TNOs audibly update their journal and whack demons with severed limbs! Should one player cast a high-level spell the whole server gets to watch the 30 second cinematic! SC PvM, he's immortal, but PvP is HC as you get to merge with another incarnation and diablerize their XP.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Comparison to Tony DiTerlizzi's original Planescape art:

(1) Female Cat Lord on far left versus the same as depicted in the Monstrous Compendium appendix
(2) Gith on left of new art versus gith representing the Xaositect faction
(3) Human to the left of Lady of Pain in new art versus human representing the Clueless (people from the prime material plane)
(4) The Lady of Pain
(5) Modrons

diterlizzi-cat-lord-255.jpg
4hg8ro.png
9dpqca.png
wrwswa.png

axmmx1.png

The githzerai were "ruined" by 5E, can't blame Terlizzi or any of the other artists.
Rest looks pretty similar, exept the coloring (and modrons becoming cubical but that's already in PST). Are you guys serious or what.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for nothing, there hasn't been a single high profile remake in the past 5 years that was actually worthwhile. The more classic games that get left alone, the better.

Now let's be eternally glad that kender will never be in Planescape. The last thing anyone wants is a Xaositect Kender.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom