Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by nikolokolus, Jan 21, 2015.

  1. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Show Spoiler
    Mostly gut instinct to be honest. That said, I don't put my finger on the scales once I've set an encounter. The shapeshifters were created some time ago and I didn't nerf them just because you guys didn't take the time to rest and heal up. Frankly, you got a bit lucky with some rolls and did very well in rousing the townspeople to your aid. Also, killing Syelle Ru before he could get a spell off saved all of your asses and left the remaining three bodyguards without a leader, which in turn forced a morale check that they failed. So in summary, I leave a lot to chance. When it comes to random encounters I roll on a table that has a wide range of threats, some would TPK you all in a heartbeat, but they are rare, only coming up on the table about 2-5% of the time.

    My style of GMing has always been to lay out challenges and obstacles that are purely optional and let players decide how far they want to push their luck. For instance at no point in this adventure have any of you been forced to help the village. You could have very easily told them to fuck off and went your merry way or even sided with Talorc. That said, I try to keep the party's general capabilities in mind when setting the chess board (so to speak).

    Another way to look at it: I don't believe in forcing fights (although some are inevitable) and I try to allow for more than one approach around obstacles.


    The wolfish form looks like a weird cross between man and beast. Little frost crystals have started to form on the tips of its fur, which strikes you as odd. The afternoon spring day isn't exactly warm, but it's well above freezing.

    Ymae's mouth curls into the faintest smile and her eyes flash something else unreadable. Pity?
    "Oh lad, I know it must seem I'm not long for this world and impatient, but alas I have other business here." She reaches up and pats Marcán on the cheek in a motherly way. "You there," she points at Ker and Mab, "come hold my hands for a moment. There is still work left undone and I'm not as strong as I used to be."
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

    Wayward Son
    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    1,866,191
    Location:
    Anytown, USA
    Mab looks curiously at Marcàn and the witch, then proceeds over and grabs her hand lightly. "What the Hell? Why not? May I ask what you would need my help with?"
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,056
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Of course my lady" says Ker while sweating profusely
     
    ^ Top  
  4. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,016
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    Overhearing the Crone's request, Urash observes the trio very attentively, wondering what strange working may be on the old woman's mind.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd Learned

    Llywelyn ap Gruffydd
    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2015
    Messages:
    751
    Cormac touches his dagger to the coat and the ice crystals.

    Show Spoiler
    Did he have any belongings on him, or did his wolfiness cause all of that to disappear?
     
    ^ Top  
  6. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    While the mob follows Brule up the hill, Cormac does a bit of poking and prodding of the deceased shapeshifter. There don't appear to be any belongings anywhere near the creature, save for the raven feather cloak that Rhenmyr snatched up.

    Meanwhile ...

    Ker and Mab grasp the crone's hand on either side. Ymae clears her throat, "Now whatever happens don't move and don't speak, this might "hurt" a little bit . . ." The crowd clustered around the foot of the hill murmurs a little bit and then falls silent.

    Ymae closes her eyes and begins chanting in a soft sibilant whisper. After a minute of this, a loud creaking groan rises in the air. To everyone's astonishment the great iron-banded oak doors to the feast hall start to warp and twist on their large bronze hinges. Finally with a loud *pop* the double doors slump heavily to the ground and fall outward onto the stone steps with a massive thud.

    Ymae swoons a bit and sits heavily on the ground. Likewise Mab and Ker feel drained of their vitality (roll a saving throw).
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    "Are you three alright?!"
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,056
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    ^ Top  
  9. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

    Wayward Son
    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    1,866,191
    Location:
    Anytown, USA
    ^ Top  
  10. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,289
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Rhenmyr scans the interior of the hall ready to let arrows fly.
    Show Spoiler
    Anyone wanting to examine the feather cloak can. I didn't want it to be forgotten or left behind.
     
    ^ Top  
  11. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Ker finds himself unable to support his weight and collapses to the ground (Strength reduced to 3 and unable to move without assistance). Mab wobbles a bit and feels considerably drained (strength loss [1d8] = 6, no other ill-effects) but manages to keep his feet under him.

    With the doors off their hinges, Brule and Rhenmyr peek inside the dimly lit hall. What they witness seems almost phantasmagorical. There are great streaks of blood sprayed all around the hall. Several dismembered children lay scattered around the great long table in the center of the room. On the top of the table, a furry black shape that is barely discernible in the shadowy gloom is hunched over something and sickening ripping, snapping and chewing sounds are coming from its direction.

    Brule screams, "Face me kinslayer!"

    The hunched figure turns its head and two yellow, feral eyes gleam with hatred. A guttural roar erupts from its fanged maw and it leaps in a great bound towards the entrance.

    Roll initiative.
    Talorc's Initiative [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3
    Brule and townsfolk initiative [1d6] = 6
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Wayward Son Fails to keep valuable team members alive

    Wayward Son
    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    1,866,191
    Location:
    Anytown, USA
    Initiative=1 Mab hangs back to regain his composure and leans down to attempt to help Ker walk to someplace safe for the time being.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Initiative: [1d6] = 2

    "Ker!" Marcán comes to Ker's aid and hefts him by the arm, taking him away from the fighting. Doing so, he begins another chant, this time telling their story to the people of Crannógmere.

    Poem (open)

    It stood unholy, unbidden by nature,
    It's purpose forgotten, it's existence to feed,
    By the call of the people, it shall bleed.

    By the aid of outsiders, travelers we be,
    By the aid of your people, heroes, they will see,
    The sacrifices of all, we shall heed

    In the future, for all the ages,
    Take notice, bards and sages,
    And remember the day we banished the wolven breed.
     
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,056
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "My lady... What did you do..." mutters Ker in the vague direction of the Witch.
    To his friends, he says "I'll be fine, just... protect the village..."
     
    ^ Top  
  15. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,016
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    ^ Top  
  16. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    The massive wolf form of Talorc is easily 8 feet tall and dwarfs Brule as he flies through the air at him. Bravely Brule sets the spear and ducks behind his shield bracing himself for impact.
    Brule's set spear vs Talorc [1d20+5] = 17+5 = 22 max damage if hit (9) the bestial king is impaled in his shoulder takes a viscous wound.

    Undaunted Talorc rakes brule across the thigh with a claw
    Talorc attacks Brule: claw x2 [1d20+7] = 8+7 = 15, [1d20+7] = 4+7 = 11, bite [1d20+7] = 5+7 = 12
    Talorc's claw damage vs Brule [1d4] = 1

    Urash pierces Talorc with one of his darts but the other two fly wide of their mark (L'ennui roll your 50% miss chance for both and re-roll to-hit if indicated).
     
    ^ Top  
  17. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    The townsfolk stand back in shock. But Ymae begins a chant over Ker, "I'm so sorry child."
     
    ^ Top  
  18. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,016
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    [1d100] = 46

    [1d100] = 59
    Damage: [1d3] = 3

    Yikes.
     
    ^ Top  
  19. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Show Spoiler
    roll to-hit for the 1 below 51
     
    ^ Top  
  20. L'ennui Magister

    L'ennui
    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Messages:
    3,016
    Location:
    Québec, Amérique du Nord
    ^ Top  
  21. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Unfortunately Urash plants a dart in Brule's backside.
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,289
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Initiative [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

    Show Spoiler
    With higher initiative can I shoot Talorc with risking hitting an ally?
    edit looking at Urash maybe not?
     
    ^ Top  
  23. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Show Spoiler
    Charging moves you to the top of the initiative order (minus somebody with a higher initiative charging first), so Talorc moved to the top, aside from Brule being set to receive a charge with a polearm, which means he went a fraction of a second before Talorc) So indeed, in the movement and missiles phase if you shoot at somebody who hasn't closed for melee, your shot would go off before movement if you had higher initiative. I hope that makes sense?
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,289
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Show Spoiler
    If he hadn't charged, we could shoot without risk of hitting Brule. But he did. So Brule gets a dart in the ass.

    Seeing Talorc charge, Rhenmyr switches to spear and shield and attacks.

    To hit (Serpent Spear): [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22, Damage [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,225
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Show Spoiler
    Is there a rule between giving motivational speeches between Bardic Chants? Or can my chant sorta factor in to getting the village people off their asses?
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.