Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Commiserating with the Bard done, Borric stands by the door, maul at the ready to ambush the Chieftain if needed.

As a matter of curiosity, how are you setting the difficulty of our fights nikolokolus?

Mostly gut instinct to be honest. That said, I don't put my finger on the scales once I've set an encounter. The shapeshifters were created some time ago and I didn't nerf them just because you guys didn't take the time to rest and heal up. Frankly, you got a bit lucky with some rolls and did very well in rousing the townspeople to your aid. Also, killing Syelle Ru before he could get a spell off saved all of your asses and left the remaining three bodyguards without a leader, which in turn forced a morale check that they failed. So in summary, I leave a lot to chance. When it comes to random encounters I roll on a table that has a wide range of threats, some would TPK you all in a heartbeat, but they are rare, only coming up on the table about 2-5% of the time.

My style of GMing has always been to lay out challenges and obstacles that are purely optional and let players decide how far they want to push their luck. For instance at no point in this adventure have any of you been forced to help the village. You could have very easily told them to fuck off and went your merry way or even sided with Talorc. That said, I try to keep the party's general capabilities in mind when setting the chess board (so to speak).

Another way to look at it: I don't believe in forcing fights (although some are inevitable) and I try to allow for more than one approach around obstacles.

Cormac inspects the body of Syelle Ru.

The wolfish form looks like a weird cross between man and beast. Little frost crystals have started to form on the tips of its fur, which strikes you as odd. The afternoon spring day isn't exactly warm, but it's well above freezing.

Marcán forces a smile, accidentally putting a little more emphasis on certain words. "Yes, hello miss Ymae. You look... great. It's relieving to see a familiar face, and I'm certain you've come for our agreement, but if you cannot already tell I am battered from the battle and need some time of rest. After which you may get what we agreed upon and leave it all behind."

Marcán is selectively thinking over what kind of mead he's going to drown himself in.

Ymae's mouth curls into the faintest smile and her eyes flash something else unreadable. Pity?
"Oh lad, I know it must seem I'm not long for this world and impatient, but alas I have other business here." She reaches up and pats Marcán on the cheek in a motherly way. "You there," she points at Ker and Mab, "come hold my hands for a moment. There is still work left undone and I'm not as strong as I used to be."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab looks curiously at Marcàn and the witch, then proceeds over and grabs her hand lightly. "What the Hell? Why not? May I ask what you would need my help with?"

Cormac touches his dagger to the coat and the ice crystals.

Did he have any belongings on him, or did his wolfiness cause all of that to disappear?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac touches his dagger to the coat and the ice crystals.

Did he have any belongings on him, or did his wolfiness cause all of that to disappear?

While the mob follows Brule up the hill, Cormac does a bit of poking and prodding of the deceased shapeshifter. There don't appear to be any belongings anywhere near the creature, save for the raven feather cloak that Rhenmyr snatched up.

Meanwhile ...

Ker and Mab grasp the crone's hand on either side. Ymae clears her throat, "Now whatever happens don't move and don't speak, this might "hurt" a little bit . . ." The crowd clustered around the foot of the hill murmurs a little bit and then falls silent.

Ymae closes her eyes and begins chanting in a soft sibilant whisper. After a minute of this, a loud creaking groan rises in the air. To everyone's astonishment the great iron-banded oak doors to the feast hall start to warp and twist on their large bronze hinges. Finally with a loud *pop* the double doors slump heavily to the ground and fall outward onto the stone steps with a massive thud.

Ymae swoons a bit and sits heavily on the ground. Likewise Mab and Ker feel drained of their vitality (roll a saving throw).

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr scans the interior of the hall ready to let arrows fly.
Anyone wanting to examine the feather cloak can. I didn't want it to be forgotten or left behind.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker finds himself unable to support his weight and collapses to the ground (Strength reduced to 3 and unable to move without assistance). Mab wobbles a bit and feels considerably drained (strength loss [1d8] = 6, no other ill-effects) but manages to keep his feet under him.

With the doors off their hinges, Brule and Rhenmyr peek inside the dimly lit hall. What they witness seems almost phantasmagorical. There are great streaks of blood sprayed all around the hall. Several dismembered children lay scattered around the great long table in the center of the room. On the top of the table, a furry black shape that is barely discernible in the shadowy gloom is hunched over something and sickening ripping, snapping and chewing sounds are coming from its direction.

Brule screams, "Face me kinslayer!"

The hunched figure turns its head and two yellow, feral eyes gleam with hatred. A guttural roar erupts from its fanged maw and it leaps in a great bound towards the entrance.

Roll initiative.
Talorc's Initiative [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3
Brule and townsfolk initiative [1d6] = 6

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Initiative: [1d6] = 2

"Ker!" Marcán comes to Ker's aid and hefts him by the arm, taking him away from the fighting. Doing so, he begins another chant, this time telling their story to the people of Crannógmere.

It stood unholy, unbidden by nature,
It's purpose forgotten, it's existence to feed,
By the call of the people, it shall bleed.

By the aid of outsiders, travelers we be,
By the aid of your people, heroes, they will see,
The sacrifices of all, we shall heed

In the future, for all the ages,
Take notice, bards and sages,
And remember the day we banished the wolven breed.

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"My lady... What did you do..." mutters Ker in the vague direction of the Witch.
To his friends, he says "I'll be fine, just... protect the village..."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The massive wolf form of Talorc is easily 8 feet tall and dwarfs Brule as he flies through the air at him. Bravely Brule sets the spear and ducks behind his shield bracing himself for impact.
Brule's set spear vs Talorc [1d20+5] = 17+5 = 22 max damage if hit (9) the bestial king is impaled in his shoulder takes a viscous wound.

Undaunted Talorc rakes brule across the thigh with a claw
Talorc attacks Brule: claw x2 [1d20+7] = 8+7 = 15, [1d20+7] = 4+7 = 11, bite [1d20+7] = 5+7 = 12
Talorc's claw damage vs Brule [1d4] = 1

Urash pierces Talorc with one of his darts but the other two fly wide of their mark (L'ennui roll your 50% miss chance for both and re-roll to-hit if indicated).

nikolokolus

Arcane
The townsfolk stand back in shock. But Ymae begins a chant over Ker, "I'm so sorry child."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Initiative [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

With higher initiative can I shoot Talorc with risking hitting an ally?
edit looking at Urash maybe not?
Charging moves you to the top of the initiative order (minus somebody with a higher initiative charging first), so Talorc moved to the top, aside from Brule being set to receive a charge with a polearm, which means he went a fraction of a second before Talorc) So indeed, in the movement and missiles phase if you shoot at somebody who hasn't closed for melee, your shot would go off before movement if you had higher initiative. I hope that makes sense?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there a rule between giving motivational speeches between Bardic Chants? Or can my chant sorta factor in to getting the village people off their asses?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom