Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Don't I get a chance to shoot him before his spell goes off? I was waiting to see if Helly charged into melee before declaring.

Saving throw vs spell (hopefully not needed if an arrow connects): To Save: [1d20] = 6

As Heron starts chanting, Rhenmyr draws his bow and attempts to shoot the caster.

Longbow attack:
shot 1
To hit: [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5, Damage (arrow): [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5
-2 for the dark, so 3 to hit.
Shot 2
To hit: [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12, Damage (arrow): [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8
-2 for the dark, so 10 to hit.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Both of Heron's shots go wide in his frantic attempt to fire his bow. Nerves or just too much time spent on boats perhaps?

nikolokolus

Arcane
You just have to wait until the surprise round is over, which is going to be very shortly. I just need Rhenmyr and Heron's saving throws

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ah sorry, I didn't catch that. In the future don't worry about putting dice rolls under a spoiler tag, just OOC chatter

In any case...

A wave of tiredness envelops you Rhenmyr. Try as you might, you can't seem to keep your eyes open. A moment later you feel yourself toppling over and entering the land of nod.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Heron tries to fight off the wave of lethargy that consumes him, but he too topples into the muddy grass sound asleep.

End of Round 1

It didn't make a difference here, but in the future don't forget that magic-users get a +2 vs. all spells

Round 2:
Anybody who intends to cast a spell needs to declare it before rolling initiative, but otherwise, everybody who isn't asleep, roll a d6 for initiative (add/subtract your dexterity bonus/penalty if you have one).

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
The Mysterious Caster turns and faces Ker and starts waving his his hand again and speaks in an arcane tongue.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
So, how long are we out for? Until our throats are cut?

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
So, how long are we out for? Until our throats are cut?

Let's just put it this way, unless somebody steps on you or slaps your face you'll be sleeping soundly for a good long while after the fight is over. Secondly, a coup de grace cannot be attempted in the heat of a melee. Certainly somebody could attack your still form on the ground (and automatically hit) but damage would be rolled for normally . . . assuming that's what they want to do.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As soon as Ker saw the casting shadow, he knew that he had to act before he vanished into darkness.
"Charge him he's here! I'll light him up!"
He then starts casting Fairie fire at the shadow.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I could do that right? Get a running start (not charging) and throw one of my Javelins? It shouldn't hit Borric because I had a higher initiative, if I'm right.

Some ranged weapons (bow, crossbow, sling, etc.) require a stationary posture, thrown weapons are the exception (because they actually benefit from a wind up).

The maximum range of Marcán's javelin is 40 yards and short range is 20 yards. Marcán runs a full forty yards to get within short range, pulling up about 10 yards from his target. While your aim seems true, you hear the unmistakable sound of metal on metal and you see your javelin clatter to the ground at the feet of the figure.

Borric speeds past Ker and Marcán with his great maul held high (+2 "to hit" -2 AC for the round, but you get to attack in the movement phase at least) and charges the figure in the gloom and mist, Borric's swing goes wide as the figure takes a leap to the side, but he appears to have interrupted his casting.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did a crit hit roll, but forgot to roll initiative. Is that to be done for every round? :negative:

nikolokolus

Arcane
You already rolled your attack this round I thought? In any case we aren't out of the second round yet, bert still needs to roll initiative and tell me what he wants to do with Sokrates. Once he goes, the dockside people get to act, Ker's spell may or may not go off and then we start the third round. Whenever a new round starts, I'll put that at the top of a post in bold. And when a new round starts initiative is re-rolled (don't forget to add your DEX modifier).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You already rolled your attack this round I thought? In any case we aren't out of the second round yet, bert still needs to roll initiative and tell me what he wants to do with Sokrates. Once he goes, the dockside people get to act, Ker's spell may or may not go off and then we start the third round. Whenever a new round starts, I'll put that at the top of a post in bold. And when a new round starts initiative is re-rolled (don't forget to add your DEX modifier).
Yeah, like I said, I've no experience with this stuff, so I compared to crpgs and winged it.
That said, have we some visual representation of this scene?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait, what's the DEX modifier for initiative? I tried looking for it in the book/combat rules and found squat. I didn't add anything, with a DEX of 15. Is that alright?

Yeah, like I said, I've no experience with this stuff, so I compared to crpgs and winged it.

EoyMVOI.png
This is the way I see it. The small line is my failed attempt at throwing a spear. I also misspelled my own name but it was in a rush, whoops.

nikolokolus

Arcane

Ah OK. I sometimes forget that people might not be familiar with tabletop play. I'm completely new to running something play-by-post so don't feel too lost, this is new ground for me too.

If you aren't sure about combat order then just remember everything is turn based and occurs in phases
General order:
1. Determine if anybody is surprised:
2. Declare spells:
3. Roll Initiative:
4. Movement & Missile fire:
5. Melee attacks:
6. End of the round go to step 2.

Wait, what's the DEX modifier for initiative? I tried looking for it in the book/combat rules and found squat. I didn't add anything, with a DEX of 15. Is that alright?

EoyMVOI.png
This is the way I see it. The small line is my failed attempt at throwing a spear. I also misspelled my own name but it was in a rush, whoops.

The modifier to initiative is a house rule on the "combat cheat sheet" in the first post of the thread. Reading through everything I just noticed my oversight. It's my fault, I failed to put it in the House Rules as well (It's not much of an excuse, but most of this stuff I had to copy from a variety of notebooks and scribbles that I've accumulated over time) Fortunately in this instance it didn't affect initiative order, but because I fucked up everyone can add +1 to their next attack roll if it makes them feel better. ;)

Also, sorry if I didn't make the environment clearer in my descriptions. Give me maybe thirty minutes or so and I'll put something on a hexgrid to help orient yourselves.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom