Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by nikolokolus, Jan 21, 2015.

  1. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Show Spoiler
    It's no biggie. You just have to log on and select your character instead of choosing "roll on the fly"
     
    ^ Top  
  2. bert Arcane

    bert
    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Messages:
    760
    Sokrates makes a friendly wave to Borric and Ker upon their arrival, but the expression on the dumb paladin's face remains stoic, with bits of eager happiness trying to break into the open. Seeing the dead ferryman breaks Sokrates' mood and he goes for a closer look at the body and to give Zelkor his rites. Going on one knee, he closes his eyes and thinks of something pleasant, fantasizing about escorting Zelkor to a peaceful afterlife for a few seconds. Standing up, he points in the direction of the docks and says to his companions, "Briighttt..!"

    Show Spoiler
    [1d6] = 1
    Show Spoiler
     
    ^ Top  
  3. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,489
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    As always, Sokrutiz's unmatchable eloquence is surpassed only by Borric's ability to grasp it with the utmost alacrity.
    "What?"

    The hell is he pointing at?
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,270
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    OOC (open)
    1d6 = 1
    Show Spoiler
    Sorry for the absence, the 'alert' system can be pretty broken.


    Marcán runs toward the body, and then is taken aback at the sight of Zelkor. He sighs, "I'll miss you, my friend. But, who did you piss off now?" He stares at the body for a bit before talking back to the rest of the group.

    "I've met his wife once or twice before, I doubt she'll think me - or present company, would do something like this. Besides, I think it'll look even more suspicious if we don't raise the alarm." Marcán raises an eyebrow when he sees Sokratiz. "Apparently Borric, there is something bright he wants us to see."
     
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,489
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Yes, I'll follow Sok, you raise alarum. Ker, with me."
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,270
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    "Right." Marcán sprints out of the stables and goes to warn the people.

    OOC (open)
    Is there a bell I can ring or do I just go door to door to raise a mob?
     
    ^ Top  
  7. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,489
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
    Yell free gold giveaway! That usually works.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Siveon Bot

    Siveon
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,270
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    OOC (open)
    Good for raising crowds...but not so good for my character's life, once the mob understands that there is no free gold.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,082
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Be careful Marcán! We'll try to get the bastard who did that."
    Ker then follows Socrates and Borric, readying his sling.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    OOC (open)
    Ok, let's walk things backward a little bit.

    It looks like we have three people in a "surprised" state: Marcán, Borric and Sokrates. The only person not surprised at the stables is Ker Gwez. 50 yards south of the stables (at the crest of the hill overlooking the docks) Heron and Rhenmyr are alerted by the sound of an incantation being uttered just across the road to the east. The sound of this voice sounds "close" (20 yards away?) but there is no apparent source for the sound. However, you have a pretty good idea about the general direction it's coming from. '

    The two men on the docks are busy kneeling down and lifting the dumped cargo off of the dock, but Heron and Rhenmyr notice them stop and turn at the sound of the incantation - it's worth noting for future reference that casting a spell must be done in a firm, loud voice. Whispering won't cut it.

    So at this point I need spell declarations from Ker and Heron if you plan to cast a spell. Once that is taken care of I'll need initiative rolls for Heron, Rhenmyr and Ker. Siveon, bert, and ERYFKRAD you can't act in the surprise round, but you'll be able to join in on the second round.

    Situational modifiers: The only available light source right now is coming from Ker's lantern, looking at your character sheet I assume it's a hooded lantern and not a bullseye lantern? If so, it sheds light in 10 yard radius. Outside of this, the night is very dark due to the fog. Attacking a target not illuminated has the following penalties: -1 to melee rolls and -2 ranged attack rolls.

    Digression: Since this is the first fight I feel like it's worth reminding people that there are a lot of things you can do that aren't necessarily on your character sheet. If there's some stunt or weird thing you want to try tell me what your intentions are and I'll adjudicate it if it's not covered explicitly by a rule. Also, remember that any spell casting class (MU, Cleric or Druid) can start a counterspell in the "spells phase" of combat. If you are a melee combatant and you want to disrupt a caster, you can do more than just try to whack them with your sword; grappling, tackling and tripping will accomplish the same result (important to remember if you think a spell caster is going to be tough to hit otherwise).
     
    ^ Top  
  11. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,082
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler
    Yes, it's a simple hooded lantern shedding light all around.
    Right now, we hear a incantation 50 yards away but can't see anything if I'm not mistaken. Can I actually start a counterspell here?
     
    ^ Top  
  12. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Helly You need to be within 10 feet/level of the target to intercede. Too far away right now.
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,291
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Question (open)
    nikolokolus, Does mystery caster's loud caterwauling reduce the darkness penalty to put an arrow in him?
     
    ^ Top  
  14. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,082
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  15. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    OOC (open)
    -4 to-hit, -6 if long range
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,291
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Show Spoiler
    So no difference if he's casting or not?


    Initiative [1d6] = 1
     
    ^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Show Spoiler
    Can Heron identify the spell at all? If he can and if it's something immediately threatening to Rhenmyr or himself, Heron will attempt to counterspell. Otherwise he will crouch down (incase it's a blast effect) and see the consequences of the casting.

    Rolled a 1 for initiative
     
    ^ Top  
  18. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    RULING (open)
    Smashing Axe You know what? I goofed, an attack breaks invisibility. A caster starting an offensive spell is definitely the beginning of an attack and invisibility breaks at that point. Therefore ...


    A tall dark silhouette appears in the mist about 20 yards off the road. He is waving his left hand and incanting. Heron, you aren't sure (make a saving throw vs. spells to identify it) but judging from the inflection and the tone of the strange syllables, it feels almost like a sweet oil being spread over the air - dark tendrils of energy snake forth from his hand and make your head feel heavy and dreamy. It doesn't seem particularly friendly, but that's all you can tell about it so far (I am assuming you are counterspelling then).

    Helly Ker is too far away to make out anything in the dense fog (but you definitely hear somebody speaking in a strange arcane tongue). Visibility is about 40 yards maximum (so it is possible to move, your max combat move, but not fire your sling in this round. If you charge and make a melee attack, you can double your combat move and attack (+2 to hit, -2 AC for the round), but if you hold on to your lit lantern, it will definitely need to make an item saving throw.

    Mysterious Caster's initiative roll: [1d6] = 4
    Dockside figures initiative roll: [1d6] = 6

    Initiative Order:
    Dockside figures: 6
    Ker & Mysterious Caster: 4 (act simultaneously)
    Heron & Rhenmyr 1 (act simultaneously)

    Movement & Missiles phase:
    The figures at the dock, drop whatever they were carrying between them and look up the hill dumbfounded, not moving.
    The very tall silhouette continues casting his spell from the depths of the darkness ...

    Ker goes, then Heron & Rhenmyr.
     
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    ^ Top  
  19. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    Answer (open)
    Since he's not actually invisible now, it's a moot point, but it does make a difference. If he hadn't been making any noise at all then no attack would have been possible. An invisible creature making noise allows you to sort of tell where it is and thus make an attack at -4. See page 61
     
    ^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,489
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler

    So bumrushing the guy once I see him can mess with his incantation too?
    Shouting or uh otherwise affecting the incantations by say, starting to pronounce it with him and then abruptly switching words? Would that work if the language was known?

    I'm just curious is all.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,291
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    OOC (open)
    Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't considered that the target might be magically invisible. 20 yards, so about 60 feet away.


    Rhenmyr asks Heron, "Do you suppose yonder chanter if friendly? What are the odds?"
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

    Helly
    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,082
    Location:
    変態の地獄、Rance様と
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ker moves quickly without running towards the noise until he can see what's going on.
    Show Spoiler
    That would be 30 feet, right?
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    ^ Top  
  24. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    ANSWER for ERYFKRAD (open)
    If you are ahead of, or tied with somebody in the initiative of combat you can strike them with a weapon, punch them, grapple them, tackle them or whatever to interrupt their spell, but just trying to be distracting with words aint gonna cut it. :)

    Don't forget that that the Missiles and Movement phase of combat precedes melee and spells, so if you are stationary and firing an arrow or a spear, it goes before, even if you were behind in initiative (you can't fire a missile if somebody engages you in melee however)


    ANSWER for Grimgravy (open)
    20 yards is exactly 60 feet, so yes.
     
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    ^ Top  
  25. nikolokolus Arcane

    nikolokolus
    Joined:
    May 8, 2013
    Messages:
    3,677
    You move about ten yards and you can just barely make out a silhouette in the fog off of the road to your left that appears to be the source of an incantation.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.