Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Tactical Map:
ZelkorsFerry.png

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What's going on? I want to know if I'll live to see another morning.

bert

Arcane
Sokrates follows Borric's lead, figuring that whatever this strong man is doing is probably worth following. He did not feel that Borric is a bad person anyhoo, and he has a good sense of things. Charging into the fray alongside Borric, Sokrates lets out a fierce, deep battle cry that for just a moment betrayed the paladin's witlessness.

initiative: [1d6+3] = 3+3 = 6
To Hit Roll:[1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5 Damage:[1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4

nikolokolus

Arcane
The gigantic Kimmerian half-wit, Sokrates charges hot on the heels of the sturdy Kurgan Borric, letting out an unintelligible yell of fury. Maybe it's the darkness or maybe Sokrates got confused, but he swings wildly at the extraordinarily tall wizard and misses badly. In the half-light of Ker's lantern, Sokrates just catches the look on the wizard's face; perhaps surprise mixed with a little bit of irritation or contempt. Sokrates knows not, for he is a simple man of action, not thinking.

A moment later Ker finishes his incantation. Borric, Marcán and Sokrates press in on their opponent who is clearly the armored Hyperborean from the ferry, it's particularly obvious because he is fully illumined in an eerie blue-green glow of flickering flames that have engulfed him. To the south, light from the docks can be seen bobbing erratically up the hill, but your sightlines are obscured of any detail by the crest. A few moments later two dark clad figures summit the hill and pause about 20 yards from Rhenmyr's and Heron's still forms.

Ker's spell removes the "to hit" penalty against the Hyperborean due to darkness and ERYFKRAD even though you made your attack roll prematurely, I'll let it stand in the next round - your critical hit will do max damage against somebody ...

nikolokolus

Arcane
It was a good faith roll, just out of order. But now that you know, I probably won't be so generous in the future. Secondly, the "movement & missiles" phase of combat precedes melee attacks, but your intent is noted.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was a good faith roll, just out of order. But now that you know, I probably won't be so generous in the future. Secondly, the "movement & missiles" phase of combat precedes melee attacks, but your intent is noted.
Yeah, I got that bit about movement and missiles, though I figured this'd be easier for you to work with if we're all not on at the same time.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fight in the docks, round 3, initiative [1d6] = 6
By the way, as I like to narrate a bit my actions, do tell me if I ever overdo it somewhat!
Upon seeing the wizard occupied with his comrades, Ker rushes to the help of the first victims, two men lying down on the floor.
Ker is however reassured when he hears them snoring - that filthy arcane magic-user only just knocked them out.
They are within the 40 yards range, right?

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fight in the docks, round 3, initiative [1d6] = 6
By the way, as I like to narrate a bit my actions, do tell me if I ever overdo it somewhat!
Upon seeing the wizard occupied with his comrades, Ker rushes to the help of the first victims, two men lying down on the floor.
Ker is however reassured when he hears them snoring - that filthy arcane magic-user only just knocked them out.
He then proceeds to slap the hunchbacked one around to try and wake him up.
They are within the 40 yards range, right?

Feel free to narrate away, it helps me frame things and put player actions into context. Honestly, in a game like this where there aren't any "feats" I fully expect people at some point to tell me they'd like to perform some kind of special action, at which point you'll roll your attack roll (maybe with modifiers) and I'll adjudicate how effective (or ineffective) you are based on the outcome of the roll.

Ker dashes over towards the edge of the riverbank where Heron and Rhenmyr are lying.
Checking the quick and dirty map above, it looks like they are possibly at the edge of your movement range. There's a fifty-fifty chance you'll be able to reach one person and slap them awake with your combat action. Bear in mind that the two figures from the docks have just reached the top of the hill and are about 10 yards from the two of them, which will put you squarely in their melee attack range.
50% chance for Ker to reach Heron and Rhenmyr [1d100] = 80 You don't quite reach them.

bert

Arcane
"Euuraaaghh!" Sokrates finds himself half-distracted by the bright lights dancing about and the wizard takes a single step back to avoid the swing.

Initiative: [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 Attack: [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4 Damage: [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

nikolokolus

Arcane
In the scrum and the chaos of feints, parries, dodges and ripostes, the enormously tall Hyperborean in his bronze coat-of-plates and great black mantle sneers and shouts, "To me you dogs!" He then turns his head and continues, "Funny, I never thought he'd get the balls to challenge me; how much was Zelkor paying you lot? In any case, your esteemed employer is dead, so don't you think we can dispense with this nonsense? I'm sure we can come to some sort of understanding that profits us all."

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr dreams of a freakishly tall blonde man spouting off a bunch of nonsense and thinks the blonde has had one too many blows to the head. Or, perhaps, one too few.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán steadily breathes. He then laughs a bit. This Hyperborean that stands before him, a long source of his contempt since being a soldier-for-hire. They didn't make the greatest bosses. "He wasn't paying me you dumb git - he just so happened to be a friend of the family." Marcán grips his longsword and makes a quick slash at the Hyperborean, failing to hit him yet again. Marcán turns to the rest of the (still conscious) group. "I don't know about you lot, but I'm not too keen on hearing what he has to say."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The tall Hyperborean leans back smoothly, flowing from guard to riposte with frightening swiftness and a level of skill few of you have ever personally faced.

He pauses briefly with Marcán's words and barks a short incredulous laugh, "Ha! This is almost too funny. Who says the gods don't have a sense of humor?"

During the Hyperborean's moment of hesitation, Borric sees an opening and springs on the towering figure with a vicious swipe at his head. Borric's aim is true and lands a blow (Maul Damage:[2d4+4] = 8+4 = 12) that you were positive would smash his skull like a an overripe melon, but somehow the canny spellsword ducks just enough that his shoulder ends up taking the brunt of the blow, but it sends his fancy silvered helm tumbling to the muddy turf. Borric looks into his foe's eyes and sees shock mingled with anger. Quick as a cat the Hyperborean retaliates with a swift overhead swing of his great bastard sword at the befuddled Sokrates (Hyperborean's Target: 1-2 = Marcán, 3-4 = Borric, 5-6 = Sokrates [1d6] = 5) and strikes true (Hyperborean's Attack [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19 Damage [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9) grievously wounding the Kimmerian.

As the deadly dance unfolds between the warriors, one of the two thugs closest to Ker - a short stocky brute - points toward the melee and his large burly companion ambles quickly over with his short sword drawn, bearing down on Borric (Thug attack vs. Borric [1d20] = 14 Damage [1d6] = 5) but his blade is turned by the links in Borric's heavily padded ringmail coat. The short brute snarls at Ker, "Yer gonna regret the day you were born you sheep shaggin' backwoods Kelt." He comes low with a dagger held in front of him and stabs viciously (Short Thug Attack vs. Ker [1d20] = 19 Damage [1d4] = 1) his aim is true, but Ker brings his sickle up and turns the worst of the blow.

In the midst of all the shouting, grunting, dodging, parrying and blows it appears you've roused the compound to some sort of life. the light from a lamp fills the space near the doorway to the longhouse and a slave emerges rubbing his bleary eyes. Suddenly he starts shouting "Alarm! Alarm! Up quickly, foes attack! Alarm!" The faintest bit of light filters through the drafty shuttered windows of the slave house across from the stables.

END OF ROUND 3
  • Sokrates has taken 9 damage
  • Ker was nicked for 1 damage
  • Heron and Rhenmyr are still slumbering away
  • And Borric smashed the hell out of the Hyperborean spellsword and the way he moves suggests he's in pretty rough shape.
  • Lastly, it appears that the ferry has started to come to life with the sounds of all the commotion.
A couple of subtle reminders:
Fighters can forego attacks for a round and parry against 1 opponent per round (see table 10 on pg. 14 of the rulebook for particulars) Also, anybody can fight defensively, sacrificing -2 to-hit for +1 AC, or you can press an attack +1 to-hit at -2 AC. Anybody who fires missiles into melee can't select their target unless they are specialized with that weapon (which requires a successful saving throw). If you are engaged in melee and turn to run away, foes within 10 feet get a free attack. And don't forget that there's always the "rule of d30" to fall back on if things get particularly desperate.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric pushes the thug away in an attempt to disengage and move back, while raising alarum so everyone else knows where the fight is happening.

Have we caught any glimpse of the Hyperborean's features. Anything to identify him should he escape?

nikolokolus

Arcane
With the glowing fairie fire enveloping the Hyperborean and Ker's lantern near the top of the bank, it looks like the slave at the entrance to the longhouse at least had no doubts about where the action is. If you want to push the thug it's an attack roll and an overbearing/grapple attempt against him, which happens in the melee attack phase. You can actually speak during the movement and missiles phase freely (a round is a minute long after all) without sacrificing any actions or whatever.

The Hyperborean is nearly 7 feet tall with long, straight white-blond hair. You haven't met many Hyperboreans before (if any) but in the dark and the fog it's tough to say what's distinctive about him physically beyond the fact that he's dressed in the finest suit of bronze plate armor you've ever seen. However, you're pretty sure you'd remember his voice if you heard it again; it has very a distinctive baritone quality ... but who knows, maybe all Hyperboreans sound like that?

Last edited:

bert

Arcane
Initiative: [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9
Attack: [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14 Damage: [1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4

I hope I don't die :(

The Kimmerian's blood begins to boil with rage. Faith and adrenaline keeps the brutish paladin alive even if the wound between his shoulder is a few inches deep. Screaming at the top of his lungs, Sokrates surges forward and swings his shield as the Hyperborean makes a retaliatory strike. The shield batters the attacker's sword hand away, leaving him wide open. Following through, Sokrates makes a wild but powerful swing to bisect his foe starting just by his neck.

I'll absorb the next blow with my shield, if it comes to it.

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It has been a long time since Ker last fighting training with the master, and he was not the best student either... Despite his best efforts, the scoundrel's dagger did manage to get through a soft point of his leather.
"Argh! You murderers! Do you hear this noise? Soon the place will crawl with guards! You'll be swinging by a tree before twilight!"
Ker does his best to scare away the aggressor and will defend himself if attacked. He also tries to kick at the nearest sleeping body.

Is there a full-defense mode without attacks?

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Is there a full-defense mode without attacks?

If you were a fighter you'd have the parry skill which stacks with my house rule for defensive fighting. As it stands, any character can fight defensively in a round: -2 to-hit for +1 AC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom