Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán sighs. "What would you have me do if I accept? After Blaidd Mawer is defeated. Leave my friends and family to fend off on their own? You're a seer, you should have an inkling for what we're looking for." he chuckles. "Or do you wish to travel with a band of fools to their graves?"
"Nay. My yoke is light; a simple ceremony, an exchange of rings . . . and one night of passion." She flashes a horrific, toothless smile. "After that, you may go your way and do as you will. A husband who spends all of his days with wife in tow, or who lays about in his wife's household is no husband I desire."

"So, my young, master bard, do we have a bargain and your solemn oath?"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Fine." Marcán steels himself, as he tries to remember past dealings that would be worse than his current situation. "Serves me right. Why does it need to be Keltic anyway?" Marcán groans, as he realizes that not even that is worse than what the future holds for him. He considers buying the largest pints of ale for later.

I petition for all that is good and holy to not get a description during that fateful day.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Fine." Marcán steels himself, as he tries to remember past dealings that would be worse than his current situation. "Serves me right. Why does it need to be Keltic anyway?" Marcán groans, as he realizes that not even that is worse than what the future holds for him. He considers buying the largest pints of ale for later.

I petition for all that is good and holy to not get a description during that fateful day.
:salute:
Ymae smiles, "You'll make a fine husband. Loyal and true -- I can see it in your aura. As for why a Kelt? The blood must run true laddie. But now the price is paid and I'll tell you my secret. Blaidd Mawr must be hunted to his den and held fast before he can be banished back to Annwyn. You'd need the strength of an Aurochs to wrestle his like to the ground, but I have something better." She then hobbles over to a corner of the wall of the hut and points out a curious thing. Pressed into the wattle and mud are long strands of hair. She traces her finger along it and you notice that the entire surface of the inside of the hut is covered with a woven mesh of this hair. "Old Wolf leaves old Ymae alone, because Old Wolf cannot pass. Here, take this." She reaches down behind a bundle of furs and withdraws a short length of rope woven from what looks like human hair, "This I wove from each victim of Blaidd Mawr and there is power in it. Use it to lasso the beast and its spirit as well as its flesh will be rooted, then strike and cast his spirit back across the veil. If you can find the spear of Ulfheonar so much the better. Go now, finish your appointed task and may Brigid bring you back to me intact."

Meanwhile ...

Fidach and Oona walk the short distance south toward the gate, presumably looking for Brule. as Rhenmyr, Urash, Cormac and Borric busy themselves in the square. Fidach whispers loudly before he leaves, "Brule will have many spears. I'll bring back what I can in a few minutes."

Let me know how you want to go about creating traps and chokepoints; i.e. where in the village are you going to salvage wood from to create barricades? Where do you wish to position yourselves? Are you splitting up or moving around as a group?

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wood from the ruined houses, I think I mentioned that. Make diagonal stakes athwart the route to Talorc's Hall, so anything bigger than a man would have to zigzag about. Then block every way out of the square with spears/stakes pointing towards square centre, so we can use fire to drive the beast backward to these things and wound it. I also intend to stand in the centre of the square and attempt to draw its attention first on to me. If we have not the time to barricade all routes, just deal with making the square our battleground. I propose that we stick together, with the exception of Grimgravy who oughta go fetch Siveon and Helly to the square.

"Stygian, perhaps now'd be a fine hour to call the Bard and the Druid to the fight." grumbles Borric, arming himself with a torch and readying another that he dips in water.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash quickly heads into the flophouse, finds his bed and, kneeling, reaches under it to produce a long, plain wooden staff, a leather pouch full of darts and a thick, beaten tome. Stuffing the pouch and the book into his worn satchel, he heads back to the square and his newfound comrades.

Standing beside Borric, Urash loudly shouts in Pictish:

"People of Crannógmere! This man by my side has resolved to confront the beast! Be him crazy or brave, I do not know, but you have seen the monster in action, you have seen how he aims for the fiercest prey. Remember how he satiated himself in the blood of courageous Drust, and disappeared over your walls!

We have here another warrior of quality and stout heart. All he asks is that you help him by salvaging wood from the ruined houses and assembling stakes and long torches... Do this, and he will be your champion!

If he dies, you will be spared. If he lives, you may be saved! Rally now, let us help him!"

Having spoken his bit, Urash turns to Borric and winks, smiling.

In Illyrian, he says:

"Shall we gather wood, then? I do not know if any will help, but they will have only themselves to blame if they do not."

nikolokolus let me know if you want me to roll anything for those long-winded speeches I keep making.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric smiles grimly through his scarred visage. "Thank you, Man-of-Kor. For this aid I shall buy you the finest cask of ale here once I can afford it. But for now, we have a wolf to snare."

nikolokolus

Arcane
nikolokoluslet me know if you want me to roll anything for those long-winded speeches I keep making.

It's tall order, but go ahead and roll a 5d6 Charisma check. You want to roll equal or under your ability score to succeed (subtract 2 from the roll for the extra effort). If you do succeed roll 2d6 otherwise roll 1d3.

nikolokolus

Arcane
After Urash finishes his littany there is a long pause. A rakish youth opens the leather flap to the flophouse and steps into the torchlight with a wooden club in hand. Another minute passes and a large-boned man with a bloodstained apron ermerges from the dark on the opposite side of the square with a large cleaver in hand. They look a little unsure of themselves and walk cautiously over to your group. The large man you know as Torg the Butcher, and the rake is Ulem, a shifty, nervous man who you've gotten to know over the past couple of months -- somebody you are shocked would have the courage to face whatever lies ahead.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr sprints on the wooden walkway and pulls up when he sees Ker, bent over and eavesdropping next to a door. Crows begin to caw loudly.

Siveon

Bot
Marcán bows. "Thank you Ymae." he walks out the door, gaining in pace by each step. He sees Ker by the door, "I take it you heard all of that?" He shakes his head and bundles the rope around his waist and starts walking for Fidach's household. "I trust you'll never speak of it until after the battle."

Fixed for continuity.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Speak of it?" Rhenmyr asks raising an eyebrow. "Nevermind. The others are trying to turn the square into a killing ground. Come on!" Rhenmyr says heading back toward the square.

If the opportunity to head toward the greathouse unobserved presents itself, Rhenmyr takes it.

L'ennui

Magister
Meanwhile, Urash warmly greets the two brave volunteers Torg and Ulem, and hurriedly guides them to the nearest ruined building.

Urash starts prying and lugging loose beams and planks of wood from the decrepit structure, and urges the others to do the same.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
"Oh, Rhenmyr. Good news, I know how to defeat the beast. We have to drive him back to his lair, and one of us will restrain the damn pup with this." he shows the rope, as he follows Rhenmyr. "If the killing blow is struck with him restrained (perhaps even with the spear from the tale we heard) we would be rid of it for good." he looks around, "What are the others planning?"

Siveon

Bot
Christ L'ennui you gave me a heart-attack. I thought I would have to ret-con something again. Don't you guys have jobs or something? :hug:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Christ L'ennui you gave me a heart-attack. I thought I would have to ret-con something again. Don't you guys have jobs or something? :hug:
Well yeah, but I just turned in my project report so it's back to hitting F5 on this.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Heading back Rhenmyr explains Borric's plan. "Did she say where we might find the spear?"

Siveon

Bot
Marcán blinks. "Should've asked that, but no. I assume it's in the cave. Quite a sound plan, and would work nicely for the solution. Except as it flees, we track it!"

L'ennui

Magister

Haha, I see we all posted more or less at the same time! That could have been a mess.

I'm at work right now, as a matter of fact. Don't tell my boss! :P

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
As Borric spies Marcan coming in, he makes his way over. "Bard, just in time! I see the Stygian has told you of our plans. Now, I saw our hosts point to your sword while you held palaver in your tongues. Whatever was said, I suspect your sword might make a difference. Hang back till I have the Wolf's attention, and then strike to hamstring its limbs. If it flees we can then give chase."

Shit's picking up, and in case I've dropped asleep when the combat starts, someone take over Borric, have him taunt the wolf by jabbing a lit torch at it, or setting fire to a stick of wet wood and use the smoke to irritate it. Either way, keep it occupied until Marcan bleeds it at the legs, then let it run to its lair and we see what happens.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Marcán unsheathes his blade. "Good plan, could use a few additions." he quickly gives a summary of the way to kill the beast. "...We must make sure he's in his lair while trapped by the rope, before we finish him off." Marcán shouts in Keltic, to simply drive away the beast. Do not throw their lives away to kill it. "Otherwise he'll just come back." he stretches for a moment. "Never fought a god before. How about you, barbarian?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom